• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC wireless chip filing makes me think Sony will announce new Vita hardware

Liamario

Banned
There's no way they're doing another playstation portable. It might be like a screen with controls so you can play without using the main tv.

It was already stated that they would be doomed by the launch of a new Sony handheld.

They should just go 3rd party now and get it over with really. Even this rumor to is too much to bear..

it was a slow start but it seems inevitable at this point that the vita will put nintendo out of business.

Cornbread78

This thread being 15 pages is something I don't understand

People love their Vita's and want it to survive and be a viable platform in the future....

tumblr_o6yx3kWuFw1tydz8to1_540.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There's absolutely no evidence it's for Vita or a new handheld, but if it is one of those things it will flop hard again.

This is my actual day one.

#VitaMasterRace

Any information on a power boost? I absolutely adore the Vita and the cancelled ports of recent due to lack of power currently stink.

Oh man, if this is true, I'd be happy just because it exists.

However, it's going to be hard to sell something like this after how poorly they handled the original Vita. I'm sure they burned a lot of folks on that.
If NX is a handheld, that makes the odds even more against Sony.

Though part of me still wants this to be real.

it was a slow start but it seems inevitable at this point that the vita will put nintendo out of business.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. We need sarcasm tags.

crinale

Deeke[VRZ];213120285 said:
Both of the FCC filings will likely be in the same device.

Here's what Part 15 Spread Spectrum Transmitters are and what they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

Based on this, I'd say both the Part 15 Spread Spectrum Transmitter and the Digital Transmission System would both be used on the same device, ie a next-gen PS Vita.

Now I'm more confused lol. Maybe PS4 Ultra-Hyper-Slim?

Edit: Yeah regarding of PIFA I've also noticed both filings mentions PIFA interface.

Enkidu

Deeke[VRZ];213119379 said:
These FCC filings are for a wireless card that's almost assuredly used in handheld/mobile device, not a console.

This page https://gyazo.com/b0ea189bc0766fe9215b03354c2bf81d mentions a PIFA antenna, which is a Planar Inverted-F Antenna.

"Inverted-F antennae are widely used in compact hand-held wireless devices where space is at a premium. This includes mobile phones and tablet computers using wireless transmissions such as GSM, Bluetooth, and WiFi."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted-F_antenna
PIFA's are used everywhere where you have a ground plane these days, it's a very common antenna type. Those antennas mentioned in that report also have very high gain (7.2 dBi for the Bluetooth antenna...) which seems unsuitable for a portable device. Since this is a certification for a module and not for a complete device those are likely placeholder antennas.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Colin Moriarty, is that you?

Like they were screwed the last two times?

Hard to say

Nintendo and Sony would have to duke it out over an increasingly fickle but still Nintendo focused Japanese market

As for global market who the fuck knows. Nintendo has a lot of ground to make up but they are investing in mobile and building awareness again

This time is different
nintendo was planning to propose a strong hw being the only competitor on the field with a hdmi gimmick to propose a unified lineup to hide their exit from the home segment. They are putting all their eggs in one basket.

If Sony present a new more powerful handheld hw with better remote play functions exploiting an actual already existing ps ecosystem with cross buy, play and save...

They will ovwrshadow the nx to many target audiences

PIFA's are used everywhere where you have a ground plane these days, it's a very common antenna type. Those antennas mentioned in that report also have very high gain (7.2 dBi for the Bluetooth antenna...) which seems unsuitable for a portable device. Since this is a certification for a module and not for a complete device those are likely placeholder antennas.

Ok do any of the PS4 models use PIFA?

Those FCC filings should still be available and explicit

Either way you make good points and I think some PS4 used this antenna type

The only noted difference between the CUH-11XXA and the original CUH-10XXA model appears to be in its WLAN transceiver component (basically the Wi-fi part). While the basic specs are the same, the original Planar Inverted-F Antenna (PIFA) has been replaced with an Inverted-F Antenna (IFA)."

UberTag

No, I refuse to believe that Sony will deliver something I actually want.
This must be some kind of August Fool's joke.

AlucardGV

Banned
There's no way they're doing another playstation portable. It might be like a screen with controls so you can play without using the main tv.

yes, there is no way they'll make a new portable system

but what if they'll go with the ps4neo strategy and just release the same psvita but with better specs

i can't think of any other way to keep psvita library alive (if they care about it)

Looks like Sony is releasing a QOL device that analyses your sleeping data in the cloud.

But really, if it *is* a new handheld I'd expect it to be an iterative extension on the Vita like the New 3DS. Sony simply doesn't have the resources to do a whole new platform launch with Neo and PS VR on the agenda, and the amount of money it'd cost to launch a whole new platform with its own new storage medium and marketing and so on just wouldn't be worth it.

But if it is a new PS Vita model, it could either be a form factor update, like the Vita-2000 or 3DS XL, or it could be a more powerful "New Vita" using the same hardware architecture like I mentioned earlier in the thread, complete with its own chassis update too. Much like the New 3DS was.

But for it to be a reality, developers would have known about it for a while now like they have NEO - they need to have some sort of hardware spec to target for their upcoming Vita games or cross platform ports, and we'd have heard about it until now. So I say it's unlikely.

Barrykins

Neo Member
I still use my Vita to this day as a indie, emulator and classics device. I wouldn't oppose another that has a cheaper storage system.

Sony is HIGH AS FUCK if this a new Vita. Though that would make for super interesting competition if this is some sort of handheld attachment to the Neo that's launched before the NX.

Explain the antenna form factor with the hardware that would require it then

Either the Slim is VERY small or we are getting a new portable

Okay. The form factor is a PS4.

Sony switched from PIFA to IFA antenna to cut costs in 2014, before switching to using less sticks of GDDR5 RAM in the 2015 "C" chassis model among other things.

DualShockers say the Planar Inverted-F antenna (PIFA) is being replaced by an Inverted F Antenna (IFA). Google and a few papers on the net tell me PIFA is better than IFA on pretty much every metric, so I’m assuming the decision to change here is driven by cost, not by the quality of the Wifi signal. What I can say, as a user, is that my current PS4’s Wifi is definitely not as good as that of the PS3, so I’m not sure using a worse component is going to help with that… then again if I was a hardware expert I would… oh, well, I’m not so I’ll shut up, but feel free to let me know in the comments what that change could mean in terms of Wi-fi efficiency..

My guess is the Wireless is changing again this time around - the new PS4 NEO model is probably getting a PIFA 5Ghz module, for optimal streaming the performance, given NEO is the high performance model. And the standard PS4, slim or not, will be getting another revision like the two I listed above. A minor revision that swapped PIFA for IFA occurred in 2014, after all, and it's likely the base PS4 will change once more from 2014's revision and 2015's "c" chassis revision.

Well, Sony is no strange to launching niche products to the market. They used to do it all the time.
It wouldn't surprise me if they feel they can make a Vita revision without much investment just to sell to the current audience.

Tjamato88

This topic is so off the rails at this point. Is there anything out there that might mean there's a new Vita announcement coming or is it just the OP's info?

If it's another handheld I swear I won't make fun of #4theplayers ever again.

It would be nuts for them to do this but I would soooooo love them for it.

If this is a vita successor I am in. No question, I love their handhelds.

I'll be at store opening day 0 if it's got BC to the existing vita content.

If it is a more powerful refresh of the existing property, then I may have to think about it.

I love handhelds, Both my 3DS and Vita get more playtime than anything else I own. I take one of them everywhere with me.

Lol, no way, don't do this to me!!

It'll be some last new revision at best, but it can't be VitaNeo, not in this timeline...

(Hype for this event just raised a little though)

Top Bottom