• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Astarte

Aside from a few scenes in ASM2, you would be hard pressed to remember anything in that movie. I guess in that way it's better than ASM1.

The Wesker analogy is on point with the Raimi trilogy. It used to be top dog with Spider Man 1/2 then it became irrelevant. ASM is probably Storm tier.

The only thing I remember from seeing ASM2 is that I missed SM3. At least that movie had something to laugh about aside from
gwen stacy dying after that stupid web hand shit

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The only thing I remember from seeing ASM2 is that I missed SM3. At least that movie had something to laugh about aside from
gwen stacy dying after that stupid web hand shit

the movie opened today and you don't remember anything from it?

Astarte

the movie opened today and you don't remember anything from it?

...The...soundtrack? The ending sequence that got met with so many boos in my theater? The way the villain went out? The way that
green goblin got introduced and shit on?
It was pretty unhype. You should go see it (again and again, because who doesn't want to support....this), I had as much fun with it as I did with Man of Steel. Not very.

oneida

...The...soundtrack? The ending sequence that got met with so many boos in my theater? The way the villain went out? The way that
green goblin got introduced and shit on?
It was pretty unhype. You should go see it, I had as much fun with it as I did with Man of Steel. Not very.

I did see it

and since you're only talking about the last ten minutes, i agree that it's a problematic act. but overall the movie is better than any of the raimi SM's except 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was supposed to see ASM2 today but everybody just forgot. Can't muster up any hype for it or Days of Future Past. I do still want to see both but.. eh.

Astarte

I did see it

and since you're only talking about the last ten minutes, i agree that it's a problematic act. but overall the movie is better than any of the raimi SM's except 2.

I disagree, but opinions will be opinions and nothing will be solved by swinging our opinion sticks at one another.
I hated the movie. The romance was hamfisted and the friendship segments were hilariously awful.

Dahbomb

What ending sequence? You mean before the credits or after the credits? There were no boos at my theater.

Anyway stand out moments for me in the movie (big spoilers):
The Electro fights were pretty awesome. Visually great and really showed the full range of Spider Man's movements. The part where he saves the people from the rails was pretty cool.

When Gwen gets her head smashed on the floor after falling. Audience was legit shook with gasps. Probably one of the darkest moments in any Spider Man movie.

Aunt May when she's about to tell Peter about her parents. Solid performance there.

In terms of bad stuff... any scene involving air planes was really bad to the point of being a self parody. In addition, people watching hero/villains fight like they are watching a parade is bordering on some Joel Schumacher Batman and Robin cheese shit.

Oh and the romance/chemistry in the ASM movies are like 10x better than Dunst/Tobey. Aside from the upside down kiss, their whole romance was a pile of unforgettable turd. SM3 was a proper cap off to their romance. One of the few things ASM actually improves on the OG trilogy.

Astarte

What ending sequence? You mean before the credits or after the credits? There were no boos at my theater.

Anyway stand out moments for me in the movie (big spoilers):
The Electro fights were pretty awesome. Visually great and really showed the full range of Spider Man's movements. The part where he saves the people from the rails was pretty cool.

When Gwen gets her head smashed on the floor after falling. Audience was legit shook with gasps. Probably one of the darkest moments in any Spider Man movie.

Aunt May when she's about to tell Peter about her parents. Solid performance there.

In terms of bad stuff... any scene involving air planes was really bad to the point of being a self parody. In addition, people watching hero/villains fight like they are watching a parade is bordering on some Joel Schumacher Batman and Robin cheese shit.

The movie ending on the Rhino fight and that X-men commerical.
My theater was filled with hype as fuck black people and asians. I think popcorn was thrown at the screen every time a VAIO showed up, people were having way more fun with poking fun at the movie like a The Room showing.

oneida

I disagree, but opinions will be opinions and nothing will be solved by swinging our opinion sticks at one another.
I hated the movie. The romance was hamfisted and the friendship segments were hilariously awful.

well

the main problems of the final act (imo):

- peter parker finds a secret train message wherein his father tells him "i love my son and the spider dna will only work on the parker family" --- this should have happened BEFORE peter tells harry he won't give him his blood because it's a more plausible reason for him to decline than 'idk whatll happen'
- goblin is RUSHED. sorta. actually, i think harry himself is built up pretty well! but then he's goblin for some reason and then doesn't do anything except kill gwen. (for the record, it totally rules that gwen dies)
- the segment where peter parker is no longer spiderman lasts all of five minutes. if... that? his identity crisis is pretty interesting, why was this so limited|??

but overall i think the movie is very entertaining, electro is a shit villain but actually does some cool stuff in ASM2 which is more than i can say for the comics. the romance is probably the highlight, and is easily unmatched by anything else in the superhero film genre, which is to be expected since it's Webb.

Dahbomb

My theater was filled with hype as fuck black people and asians. I think popcorn was thrown at the screen every time a VAIO showed up, people were having way more fun with poking fun at the movie like a The Room showing/
Sounds like people were booing because they wanted to see more of that fight! LMAO I would not want to see a movie with that type of crowd though.

People booing at Days of Future Past? Haters gonna hate, I am hyped as fuck for the movie.. (please don't suck etc.)

Astarte

well

- peter parker finds a secret train message wherein his father tells him "i love my son and the spider dna will only work on the parker family" --- this should have happened BEFORE peter tells harry he won't give him his blood because it's a more plausible reason for him to decline than 'idk whatll happen'
- goblin is RUSHED. sorta. actually, i think harry himself is built up pretty well! but then he's goblin for some reason and then doesn't do anything except kill gwen. (for the record, it totally rules that gwen dies)
- the segment where peter parker is no longer spiderman lasts all of five minutes. if... that? his identity crisis is pretty interesting, why was this so limited|??

but overall i think the movie is very entertaining, electro is a shit villain but actually does some cool stuff in ASM2 which is more than i can say for the comics. the romance is probably the highlight, and is easily unmatched by anything else in the superhero film genre, which is to be expected since it's Webb.

ASM2 is not for me I guess. It was pretty, yeah, but it just didn't do it for me. At all. I wish the villain was Shocker instead, so we could have Jamie Foxx screaming THE SHOCKER as he shoots spiderman.

Sounds like people were booing because they wanted to see more of that fight! LMAO I would not want to see a movie with that type of crowd though.

People booing at Days of Future Past? Haters gonna hate, I am hyped as fuck for the movie.. (please don't suck etc.)

They were booing because it was just a glorified trailer/ad space. I think that they expected another Marvel tie-in like the Avengers side constantly does.

I have no faith in DOFP. Shit looks like hot garbage.

Bbbut Bryan Singer and Hugh Jackman and Magneto + Charles...

And DAH MACHINE!

I do agree that the movie could be X3 levels of bad but I HAVE to BELIEVE! The trailer even told me to!

The trailer looked like hot garbage the more they showed.

The fact they make first class canon makes it subpar at best (god I hated that movie).

Like even from a straight xmen movie thing, it makes no sense. It makes no sense how storm is like in middle school when first class happens. It makes no sense that havok is in the xmen before Scott, it makes no sense how everybody is like night and day different from the x1-x3 series to first class.

Then you add all that + knowing some comic book info and its just like "this shit is HOTTTTTTTTTTT GARBAGE".

The fact that they added QS and Scarlet in Days of Future past is stupid too. Shit should be more kitty and wolverine focus out of all the xmen.

bryan singer is fine. But the fact that he has to save the series by making wolverine origins, x3 and first class canon is going to be such a difficult task.

Astarte

The trailer looked like hot garbage the more they showed.

The fact they make first class canon makes it subpar at best (god I hated that movie).

Like even from a straight xmen movie thing, it makes no sense. It makes no sense how storm is like in middle school when first class happens. It makes no sense that havok is in the xmen before Scott, it makes no sense how everybody is like night and day different from the x1-x3 series to first class.

Then you add all that + knowing some comic book info and its just like "this shit is HOTTTTTTTTTTT GARBAGE".

The fact that they added QS and Scarlet in Days of Future past is stupid too. Shit should be more kitty and wolverine focus out of all the xmen.

The first thing I do when I watch a comic book movie is that I eject comic book knowledge straight out of my system...or at least I try to. First class was pretty entertaining, but yeah it did certainly bamboozle me in terms of timeline and roster. Thank goodness for Kevin Bacon.
I'm neutral on DoFP. If it's good, then that's great. If it ends up like X3, haha oh well!

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Here is some Ultra stuff from Air;

- I think bisons lk scissor is back to 0 frame.
Gief cannot grab me on block no matter which range i perform it

- Juri crouch short cannot combo into crouch mk no more. Cheap shit gone

- Juri's forward jump hp knocks down again

- Guiles u1 still auto corrects, and i think guile's u1 is not 5f no more lol

- Ken can fadc on 2nd hit of hp srk now

- Not sure if its new, but vega can cross up with forward jump mk now

- Ryu's ex fireball comes out faster now, not sure by how many frames. But i think its a new change after the arcade usf4 version

- Poison's rekka is -2 on block and her flip kick is +1 on block.

- Guy can now do close st.mp "counter hit" -> down forward hk flip kick into ultra into the corner

- Rose can now do hp reflect combo into spiral without fadc.

- Rolentos roll on block is prob -6 now.

-Guy's ex tatsu back to 4f startup. Not cancelable

- Combofiend says vega n guy r top tiers in usf?

- The usf at nwm6 is the 2nd last build of console's release

vulva

I wish Bryan Singer wanted to hang out with me back in the late 90s when I was a young boy. Woulda been so cool.

I've been watching both these Japanese streams for hours and although I haven't seen every match, I still haven't seen one Evil Ryu yet. He's on everybody's top tier list and yet no one plays him. Which sucks because I was really wanting to see how some top Evil Ryu's in Japan are doing with him and how they deal with all the new system mechanics.

On the other hand we're seeing Capcom tease people who main certain characters with really great buffs(like Ken's cr. MK/cr. HK and Guy's EX tatsu) in the arcade version only to turn around and take away the buffs. Maybe I should be grateful that people ignore my character for the most part so he doesn't get hit with any last second nerfs.

The first thing I do when I watch a comic book movie is that I eject comic book knowledge straight out of my system...or at least I try to. First class was pretty entertaining, but yeah it did certainly bamboozle me in terms of timeline and roster. Thank goodness for Kevin Bacon.
I'm neutral on DoFP. If it's good, then that's great. If it ends up like X3, haha oh well!

thats the problem. Even if you did eject all comic book knowledge and just know things just from the movies it doesn't make sense.

Why are their personalities like night and day difference minus magneto at best? I believe storm and cyclops are mention to be one of the founding members but cyclops is nowhere to be seen in first class and storm is in middle school. Emma frost is a teenager in wolverine origin but old as shit in first class. In first class, beast builds cerebro, but in x3 X said him and magneto built it together.

Its things of that nature that bug me. I mean yeah ok deviate from the comics but at least be consistent if you are going to keep following up with the movies

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know when a trailer tries very hard to be epic, and all the pieces are there, but it isn't? That is the story of the recent Days of Future Past trailers.

I want it to be good so bad, and I want to believe in Singer, but it just looks like a lot of fumbling.

Clawww

I've been watching both these Japanese streams for hours and although I haven't seen every match, I still haven't seen one Evil Ryu yet. He's on everybody's top tier list and yet no one plays him. Which sucks because I was really wanting to see how some top Evil Ryu's in Japan are doing with him and how they deal with all the new system mechanics.

On the other hand we're seeing Capcom tease people who main certain characters with really great buffs(like Ken's cr. MK/cr. HK and Guy's EX tatsu) in the arcade version only to turn around and take away the buffs. Maybe I should be grateful that people ignore my character for the most part so he doesn't get hit with any last second nerfs.

it's kind of annoying/confusing/dumb what's going on with Ken, and grates me in a bigger-picture kind of way about the overall balance and design decisions.

at least Vega will stay, however boringly, consistent

kirblar

it's kind of annoying/confusing/dumb what's going on with Ken, and grates me in a bigger-picture kind of way about the overall balance and design decisions.

at least Vega will stay, however boringly, consistent
Ken's cMK and cHK were clearly stupid. Them being gone should shock no one.

He was reported to have a near-Akuma walkspeed, so nerfind that makes sense.

He's the "DP" shoto, so buffing his EX DP from its current arcade state makes sense.

And they've been trying to get rid of roflcopter and make Ultra 2 better throughout the process. Their overall goal was to make him a much more aggressive character than he was previously, to distance him from Ryu.

BmxOMf7CUAEh250.png

Fanatiq, please stop. The dude doesn't even speak english. Shit is a misunderstanding/lost in translation.

His walk speed was never close to Akuma's, it was about on par with Ryu, which is slower than Evil Ryu. Combined with his step kick and kara throw, and those ill fated normal buffs he just got(which are gone now) he would have been pretty deadly. His cr. MK and HK were incredibly good though, those Japanese players in Japan better enjoy it while they can.

I'm definitely for buffs like Ken's crouching attacks or Guy's 2f EX tatsu, but only if everybody had something like that instead of just a few characters. But that seems to be Capcom's way of balancing SF4, make everybody weaker and weaker.

kirblar

His walk speed was never close to Akuma's, it was about on par with Ryu, which is slower than Evil Ryu. Combined with his step kick and kara throw, and those ill fated normal buffs he just got(which are gone now) he would have been pretty deadly. His cr. MK and HK were incredibly good though, those Japanese players in Japan better enjoy it while they can.

I'm definitely for buffs like Ken's crouching attacks or Guy's 2f EX tatsu, but only if everybody had something like that instead of just a few characters. But that seems to be Capcom's way of balancing SF4, make everybody weaker and weaker.
Yes, a character who's going to be better than he was in SF4:AE at the end of the day is "weaker." Most of the cast is getting net buffs - only a few got noticeable nerfbats (and mostly understandable ones, like literally everything with Seth.)

It's called iteration and experimentation. This is how tuning works. You make alterations, get feedback, make more alterations.

Clawww

Ken's cMK and cHK were clearly stupid. Them being gone should shock no one.

He was reported to have a near-Akuma walkspeed, so nerfind that makes sense.

He's the "DP" shoto, so buffing his EX DP from its current arcade state makes sense.

And they've been trying to get rid of roflcopter and make Ultra 2 better throughout the process. Their overall goal was to make him a much more aggressive character than he was previously, to distance him from Ryu.

yea, I know what's going on. my point is that if some of these nerfs "should shock no one," then shouldn't they have seen that coming when they made the tweaks in the first place?

kirblar

yea, I know what's going on. my point is that if some of these nerfs "should shock no one," then shouldn't they have seen that coming when they made the tweaks in the first place?
They shock no one because we got to see them in action. You have to change them in order to test them in action and observe what's occurring.

Tuning is both an art and science. This is the science part in action.

Clawww

Yes, a character who's going to be better than he was in SF4:AE at the end of the day is "weaker." Most of the cast is getting net buffs - only a few got noticeable nerfbats (and mostly understandable ones, like literally everything with Seth.)

It's called iteration and experimentation. This is how tuning works. You make alterations, get feedback, make more alterations.

fuck no he's not going to be better than AE if these de-buffs hold. are you forgetting -5 DP FADC and delayed wake-up? goddamn I'm going to miss jump fierce cross-ups.

kirblar

fuck no he's not going to be better than AE if these de-buffs hold. are you forgetting -5 DP FADC and delayed wake-up? goddamn I'm going to miss jump fierce cross-ups.
Sure he was great in AE, but it didn't actually matter in the context of the game due to the S-tier BS going on.

Rhapsody

Banned
My theater was filled with hype as fuck black people and asians. I think popcorn was thrown at the screen every time a VAIO showed up, people were having way more fun with poking fun at the movie like a The Room showing.
I'm glad my theater wasn't like that. I've said it before in these threads, but something like that happening would annoy me.
well

Agreed with all the complaints and strengths. Overall, a fun and entertaining movie though.

Before watching ASM2, I actually saw the first one for the first time right before. ASM2 was a lot better.

I'm hoping Days of Future Past will be good. I liked First Class. Can't say I liked the other X-men movies a whole lot.

I'm not talking about Ken or any specific character, I'm talking about the entire cast. If we rated all Vanilla characters as a 10 then I would say Super and AE were 7's and Ultra is a 5. Weaker characters have been buffed to near the same level as top tiers who are much weaker than top tiers from earlier versions. I wish we would see more buffs like Makoto's EX fukiage hitting grounded or Hawk's spire having much faster start up. Instead most characters get a lot of minor buffs(with compensational nerfs to balance those buffs) that help but don't mean that much. It'll make for a balanced game I guess, but I want a fun game. And that's one where everybody has some really good tools.

Clawww

I'm not talking about Ken or any specific character, I'm talking about the entire cast. If we rated all of Vanilla has a 10 then I would say Super and AE were 7's and Ultra is a 5. Weaker characters have been buffed to near the same level as top tiers who are much weaker than top tiers from earlier versions. I wish we would see more buffs like Makoto's EX fukiage hitting grounded or Hawk's spire having much faster start up. Instead most characters get a lot of minor buffs(with compensational nerfs to balance those buffs) that help but don't mean that much. It'll make for a balanced game I guess, but I want a fun game. And that's one where everybody has some really good tools.

yeah, there's been a lot of neutering along the way. DWU is basically the ultimate expression of that.

Shito

yeah, there's been a lot of neutering along the way. DWU is basically the ultimate expression of that.
I don't really agree with that. DWU is about opening up a game that was 90% based on set plays on oki. It seems they under-estimated the players' reaction capacities so a few characters still have their vortexes, but at least they require more work and skill now.
I quite agree with them thinking footsies are more fun in the long run than setups.

I'm not talking about Ken or any specific character, I'm talking about the entire cast. If we rated all Vanilla characters as a 10 then I would say Super and AE were 7's and Ultra is a 5. Weaker characters have been buffed to near the same level as top tiers who are much weaker than top tiers from earlier versions. I wish we would see more buffs like Makoto's EX fukiage hitting grounded or Hawk's spire having much faster start up. Instead most characters get a lot of minor buffs(with compensational nerfs to balance those buffs) that help but don't mean that much. It'll make for a balanced game I guess, but I want a fun game. And that's one where everybody has some really good tools.

I completely agree. I really really really hate nerfs. I can understand nerfs to certain things that are just TOO good, but there's nothing wrong with some strong tools if everyone gets them. I'm always in the camp of leave top tiers alone and just buff everyone else. Then no one can complain.

I guess that's what Edition Select is for. Though I'd rather just have everyone be strong in Ultra.

Shito

Both Haitani and Vryu playing the solo tournament at stunfest = <3

Btw, does the ultra build at NWM also have the funky life bars?
If not, that would probably hint at it being an earlier build...

Westlo

He's still pretty buffed, as shinebox on srk posted.

- Movement speed "slightly" increased.
- Close standing medium kick has had its downward hitbox increased, and is now easier to hit crouching opponents with.
- Crouching heavy kick total frame count unchanged but startup changed to 7 frames from 8 frames. (this is what he had in Arcade Edition, it was -7 on block)
- Thunder Kick (Forward + Heavy Kick) changed to ±0 frames on block, from -1 frame.
- Light, Medium and Heavy Fireball damage increased to 70 from 60.
- EX Fireball damage increased to 50+50, from 50+40.
- Medium Shoryuken now launches on the first hit.
- Heavy Shoryuken damage increased from 70*40*30 to 70*50*30

- Light, Medium and Heavy Shoryuken are all now -5 frames on block when FADC'd into a forward dash.
- Heavy Hurricane Kick now has 6 frames startup instead of 7 frames.
- Light, Medium and Heavy Airborne Hurricane Kick trajectory changed when done while jump is heading upwards.
- EX Airborne Hurricane Kick trajectory on upwards start up changed
- Shinryuken (Ultra 1) non-animation damage increased by 60.
- Guren Senpukyaku (Ultra 2) has slightly better range when activated.

Though I think the new information on U2 was that it was also faster, not just a slightly better startup range. Still think he needs a couple more buffs to make up for -5 FADC and the massive nerf to his oki game due to DWU. (you know the reasons why he got so many buffs in the first place)

And before people roll their eyes at that, japanese players didn't rate Ken at all as he currently is.... and does F.SRK 2 hit/block srk, quicker u2 and crossup ex air tatsu make up for the loss of an nonpunishable sweep, a stupidly fast c.mk, a walkspeed nerf and a same side non cross up ex tatsu....

Clawww

it's not a bad list overall, but then again, there's thing like: MP Shoryuken should have worked that way to begin with; his ultras were pretty shitty so the buffs are well deserved; and I just don't know what the fuck they're doing with air EX tatsu or what was wrong with it in the first place.

all these Ken posts are making me sound like our resident Deejay mains--I'm indifferent to Ken overall in Ultra, though. I don't think I'll be playing him much now that landing sweet, sweet ambiguous jump fierce isn't going to work out much

ehhh as a guy who loves sam raimi the SM trilogy is corny. 2 is great tho, especially the scene where octo murderates the surgeons. classic raimi.

and i agree that the circumstances surrounding ASM make their "necessity" less artistic than "we want to tell the story of peter parker". totally true.

still i think webb is good at romance and raimi is very not good at romance and that is something central to peter parker.

They don't hold up well now to post-Nolan/MCU comic book movie standards because of how much expectations have changed, because now a "comic book movie" doesn't need to pander to stereotypes about superheroes or exemplify that sort of story arc. Reboot Hulk not bothering with an origin story, Iron Man being Iron Man, Nolan Batman being complex and nuanced, etc. It's sort of why Man of Steel bogging itself down with pointless exposition or the Wolverine solo movies forcing Wolvie to be a regular hero feel so anachronistic now, because comic book movies don't need to do that shit no more.

Sony should've made Peter Parker black, and I don't mean black like he was black in spiderman 3

Westlo

it's not a bad list overall, but then again, there's thing like: MP Shoryuken should have worked that way to begin with; his ultras were pretty shitty so the buffs are well deserved; and I just don't know what the fuck they're doing with air EX tatsu or what was wrong with it in the first place.

all these Ken posts are making me sound like our resident Deejay mains--I'm indifferent to Ken overall in Ultra, though. I don't think I'll be playing him much now that landing sweet, sweet ambiguous jump fierce isn't going to work out much

Yeah I agree with that. stuff like cl st mk should've hit crouchers from the get go as well. Now we can crossup mk/fp into it and link into u2 and oh wait DWU lol :(

A lot of these are just small changes and fixes the only game changing buffs are....

walkspeed (even if it's not as quick as current arcade... even fei long walk speed would be a boon)
u1 dmg increase on non cinematic
comboable sweep even if it's neutered by DWU

Ken does have a 11 frame count kill normal but whether it's possible to react to it like Ibuki and maybe Cammy players is another thing...

wish they would scrap DWU, fucking shit, would rather have sfxt 2.0 rolls.... (make throws do 1.5 or 2 times dmg while rolling or something). The attacker shouldn't be putting himself in a mixup because he scored a knockdown....

and yeah I probably won't play Ken much either, I always thought cammy was going to be a better character (her and yun get so much mileage off soft oki.... ken's f.srk oki can't compare) after she got her massive nerfs reworked. Heck I played Cammy in AE over Ken anyway most of the time.

Top Bottom