• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 5-11 | A World Warrior Demographic

Anne

Doesn't mashed grab require you to be right up in their grill or you get heavy slash? Doesn't seem to be a very good option compared to SF.

Well I mean you can OS it :v but he's talking about it defensively, since grabs are 0 frame people will just mash it defensively. It typically only catches mistakes except in pretty rare circumstances.

Infinite

Damn, I'm so clueless on a lot of GG fundamentals. Gotta study up cause I don't know what y'all talking bout right now lol

After how many hours of playing BBCP I just now realized you can hold down two buttons to tech in the air so you can immediately barrier block people who like to go for the resets.

Also, zero NA support for the game confirmed. While there are plenty of Japanese players on every day it seems.

The NA community abandoning games for the latest new thing seems to be more apparent to me now.

Anne

Damn, I'm so clueless on a lot of GG fundamentals. Gotta study up cause I don't know what y'all talking bout right now lol

Basic gist is grabs are 0 frames, so if you're not in hit/blockstun and somebody is in grab range you're gonna grab them. On wake up, if somebody doesn't meatie and you mash grab, they get thrown. If they're too close during a string with a gap and you mash, they get thrown. It's a good reversal option at low level. The game's designed around it though, so once you know what you're doing reversal grab happens less and less, hence us saying it pretty much only catches mistakes.

Watches wrote up a thing about fundamental throw and the throw OS, it's p good. He reaches a tiny bit I think but you'll learn how it all works for sure http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...ero-frame-whiplash-throws-in-guilty-gear-r469

Throw OS is just HS has the least priority of the buttons, so if you input HS+button, button will always come out. If you hit 6HS+button, that button will still come out over HS, but if you're in throw range throw takes priority over both buttons. It just lets you replace HS with another button if you whiff a throw.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Maaaaaan, everytime I think I'm getting somewhere with guilty gear, I get stomped by somebody so badly that it wouldn't matter if my stick had exploded the moment the first round had started o_O

I burst out in laughter reading this. I had a similar situation when playing Marvel 2 online. I played against Sanford's team and to tell you the truth, I dropped the game after that... never knew there could be a time where putting down the controller was the way to make it hurt less. I still played to get the 100 wins online achievement though, then I dropped it.

FGW I Yams Will Never Be Option Selected

I guess I'm CandiedYams then.

keeping mangagaf down

I love mangagaf, never knew it was such a nice and mellow place. People here are a bit abrasive but that's what I like about it, people are blunt and honest, plus I love the schoolyard smack talk people have here sometimes. Anne is still a beast in my eyes.

yams couldn't stomach love junkies, so he deserves to never get the spotlight

You should go burn in a fire Turtle, no one should stomach that crap. I mean I loved the first dozen of chapters but then the cheating went too far and my rage built to become DarkYams.

Azure J

I'm fine with this, the only thing mashed grab beats on wakeup is mistakes. ;)

It just feels bad when I play Smash and dash dance out of a grab range and either block/eat a mashed Sol f.HS into his own block string/combo or dash back into range trying to psyche out only to get grabbed anyway. :lol

For the former though, admittedly, I need to use IB more.

It's a good thing it's pay per view because that just means less people will see him get crushed. :)

this is one of those things where you pretend to want Daigo to lose so if he loses you don't feel bad and if he wins you'll be like DAIGO BACK BREHS

I was the same way with Miami vs San Antonio last year. I understand.

Infinite

Basic gist is grabs are 0 frames, so if you're not in hit/blockstun and somebody is in grab range you're gonna grab them. On wake up, if somebody doesn't meatie and you mash grab, they get thrown. If they're too close during a string with a gap and you mash, they get thrown. It's a good reversal option at low level. The game's designed around it though, so once you know what you're doing reversal grab happens less and less, hence us saying it pretty much only catches mistakes.

Watches wrote up a thing about fundamental throw and the throw OS, it's p good. He reaches a tiny bit I think but you'll learn how it all works for sure http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...ero-frame-whiplash-throws-in-guilty-gear-r469

Throw OS is just HS has the least priority of the buttons, so if you input HS+button, button will always come out. If you hit 6HS+button, that button will still come out over HS, but if you're in throw range throw takes priority over both buttons. It just lets you replace HS with another button if you whiff a throw.

Thanks for the write up dude

You know what I don't get, why are 4 out of 5 of Elena's special moves done with kick. They could have changed at least one special move to punch.

Daigos gonna get wrecked lmao

Kinda feel sad for people who actually think that such a scrubby player who hasn't done anything in years going to win

WarRock

yo fight gaf is Hayato Nekketsu from rival schools owned by someone not capcom?
Yeah, he was designed by the hot blooded mangaka Kazuhiko Shimamoto. Go watch Blue Blazes/Ao no Honoo and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It seems that way with all the rival school characters since Capcom doesn't use them for anything.
Nah, Hayato is the exception. IIRC, they had copyright problems with the music though. The chara design in both Rival Schools game was done by Edayan (also the Phoenix Wright series character designer).

I... don't see the point.

I respect Mike Z but I take his comments with a grain of salt. Considering that he wanted SG to be easy to get into but it has 10 million different reset situations so if you get hit once you have to wait a long ass time for the combo to finish and be ready to guess block and because of this NO ONE IS PLAYING THE GAME. Maybe address the issues in your game before offering your 0.02 on someone else's?
The game is easy to pick up and play - I would argue it's easier than MK, since the inputs come so naturally and you can easily dash around and mash buttons to do simple combos that end in flashy supers. Trying to be a Marvel2 sucessor goes against being a newbie friendly game as whole though.

CPS2

In Tekken, it's a pretty big deal for a variety of reasons.
Yar. Cos left isn't a mirror image of right. If their front is facing the camera on the left, it means their back is facing the camera on the right, and left punch is always left punch etc. I think it feels more different than any other fighter, tho its probably noticable in VF I guess? I don't feel its as big a deal in SC.

Exr

Tekken 6 had the left right option too, no? I personally love the option, I can only do EWGFs facing left.

Mr. X

Both player should see the same thing.

Also keeping players on their weak side is a strategy they'll remove.

petghost

Banned
Tekken is such a weird case because there are things that work quite a bit better or are easier depending on which side you are on right? I could be totally off I know next to nothing about tekken.

But why do this really indirect fix instead of looking at movement or inputs or whatever to actually fix the problem?

smurfx

get some go again
last week was the worst in my life and i foolishly thought this week might be better and today proved that it can get worse, much worse.

The tekken side thing is weird. I can do certain moves better from 2p side. But i dont think i would ever want to do that and stay on one side. I just need to get better on the other side. Idk. It feel like they should just make the motions easier if the goal is to help people out.

What are the rules for characters in the Masters Series? For example, Topanga allows every player to have 2 characters. You can choose whichever of the 2 characters to start with, but can only switch characters after you have lost 3 times.

Marz

I'm a lot better at doing motions on the 2p side but I wouldn't want this to be implemented into Street Fighter. I feel like I've won matches strictly because I've had my opponent cornered on their bad side.

Top Bottom