• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 5-11 | A World Warrior Demographic

I'm a lot better at doing motions on the 2p side but I wouldn't want this to be implemented into Street Fighter. I feel like I've won matches strictly because I've had my opponent cornered on their bad side.

I don't think it would work in SF or any 2D fighter that doesn't have the other half of the stage that isn't normally visible fully modeled

Manbig

For Tekken, it's not only the ease of inputs on a specific side and slight change in animations for things like throw break, but also the fact that you cannot sidestep towards the foreground from a crouched state. As I stated earlier, this has potential to effect certain match ups more than you would think.

For example, Dragunov's main poke is d+2. On both normal, and counter hit, it forces both him and the opponent into a crouched state. From a crouched state, Dragunov has no options that track to his right, so if the opponent is on 1P side, they can sidestep towards his weak side. If Dragunov's opponent is on the 2P side in this situation though, they are forced to try to sidestep towards his left, which can be covered by his u/f4.That's just a very basic example, but the one that I am most familiar with since I play with the character.

I'm very curious to see how these kinda of situations will play out with this new camera system.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Don't think it will be patch any time soon or at all. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Plus I think they are going full force into SFV development now.

alstein

Don't think it will be patch any time soon or at all. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Plus I think they are going full force into SFV development now.

A small patch would make it so much better- I hope they do it.

Just remove the infinites- all that's needed.

Beesuit

People are already policing that shit themselves. It's pretty much getting the soft-banned treatment like Akuma in ST and to a smaller extent ST Claw in the Japanese scene.

Patching a small infinite in a for-fun mode is not worth the cash it'd cost to pay Sony and MS to publish it, not to mention the development effort either (QA testing and red tape).

Marz

Could care less about Deejay tbh. The only time I even remember he exists is when people in this thread make the same joke over and over again about him like a broken record.

Malice215

There's still the PS4 version of Ultra coming out in a couple of months, so there's still a possibility for one more patch. Omega mode is still silly because the time and effort in making a separate fun mode could have just went into making Ultra more fun, or to some other needed improvement.

Infinite

There's still the PS4 version of Ultra coming out in a couple of months, so there's still a possibility for one more patch. Omega mode is still silly because the time and effort in making a separate fun mode could have just went into making Ultra more fun, or to some other needed improvement.
Define make ultra more fun. I'm Having a hard time seeing how omega mode cannibalized on resources and ideas with out making ultra become omega mode.

Sayah

I'm a lot better at doing motions on the 2p side but I wouldn't want this to be implemented into Street Fighter. I feel like I've won matches strictly because I've had my opponent cornered on their bad side.
It is just for starting position, though. Doesn't mean that if you choose the right side, you're gonna stay on the right throughout the duration of the match. It's not street fighter where you just jump over the person to switch sides. But you can still do grabs, wall jumps or certain attacks that will shift the left/right positioning.

At least that's from what I understand of it. But as Manny said, this feature could be a complete mess or quite revolutionary depending on how well it is implemented. I bet Namco has already patented this anyway.

Could care less about Deejay tbh. The only time I even remember he exists is when people in this thread make the same joke over and over again about him like a broken record.

Or that wakeup ultra that left you shook

Also, Topanga TV ruining my day already by playing xrd instead of Street Fighter

Kimosabae

Banned

Pretty much. The worst part is that the meme is spilling over into commentary and such. Such a cornball meme to gain so much traction. You'd think people would be bored of it by this point.

Beesuit

lol, it's not like hella development went into Omega anyway. The thing was basically a rehashing and reuse of game assets (used and unused).

Pretty much. The worst part is that the meme is spilling over into commentary and such. Such a corny thing to get so much traction.

It's not really just the fact that Deejay sucks. It's the fact that Deejay got nerfed on top of already being terrible. Then characters like Viper/Yun only got stronger.

Just showing that Capcom really has no idea how to balance properly.

lol, it's not like hella development went into Omega anyway. The thing was basically a rehashing and reuse of game assets (used and unused).

Yea I noticed that when my cousin told me they just used taunt animations and put special attacks with them.

Think that was the last time I played Omega mode.

Kimosabae

Banned
Has it been considered that Capcom might not want characters like Deejay/Guile/Sim to be good?

Also, Viper will go down as one of the most overrated characters in the history of fighting games.

Sayad

Wasn't she also the most underrated until AE/later months of Super?! Like, wasn't she getting nerffed in each iteration only to climb higher in tier lists?

Has it been considered that Capcom might not want characters like Deejay/Guile/Sim to be good?

Also, Viper will go down as one of the most overrated characters in the history of fighting games.

Yes it has been considered. It definitely has.

Viper's been top tier and stayed there for like 5 years breh.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yup. She doesn't get played enough for people understand her weaker aspects, they just get frustrated by the type of character she is and react to her with emotions. She's good, but she's not a top tier character. Even the guy that popularized her in the West (Flash) has felt this way about her since late Super/AE.

Yup. She doesn't get played enough for people understand her weaker aspects, they just get frustrated by the type of character she is and react to her with emotions. She's good, but she's not a top tier character. Even the guy that popularized her in the West (Flash) has felt this way about her since late Super/AE.

We listening to Flash for SF opinions now? The guy who's changed mains everyday since like the 5th grade?

What are Viper's weaker aspects?

-She's got the instant air burn kick which is almost all reward and rarely any risk. Goes into ultra in some situations, Negates fireballs and is safe on block.
-Invincible DP that can go into ultra
-Seismo to beat fireballs from full screen. She can pretty much outzone-zoners with that shit.
-Thunder knuckles that are safe on block and if you confirm it, RFC into hell.
-Some of the strongest punish combos off of one bar.

She just might have the best special attacks in the game.

Ryan Hart:
1/6 Is the best special move in the game Viper's flame kick? After I list all the properties see if you can find a better move.
2/6 1. Can be done on the ground or in the air
2. focus breaker on reversal
3. avoids throws
4. avoids lows
5. can be used on defence...
6. hit in front
7. hit as a crossup
8. Combos into ultra
9. Leaves ground on first frame
10. Safe on block for no brain scrubs
11. Can be plus on block.
12. Has wide range
13. Hits both sides
5/6 Anyone! Name me one other special move in the game with ALL these properties??? Im sorry this is too many uses for just one move.

People are already policing that shit themselves. It's pretty much getting the soft-banned treatment like Akuma in ST and to a smaller extent ST Claw in the Japanese scene.

Patching a small infinite in a for-fun mode is not worth the cash it'd cost to pay Sony and MS to publish it, not to mention the development effort either (QA testing and red tape).
It doesn't cost anything to publish patches anymore outside of internal costs. MS and Sony got rid of fees a while ago.

kirblar

Yes, definitely. Sim/Honda are almost assuredly in that "we don't like what you do to the game when you're top tier" pile. In Arcade Ultra, Honda had one of the top 10 winrates (among the top 10 Hondas), despite the nerfs.

JeTmAn81

I can't tell if the unending Deejay jokes/whining are worse than the equivalent which occurred for Hsien-Ko in UMVC3.

I don't think there's anyone in FGW that can beat my Deejay tbh
Ae4qrox.png

Unless they main Rose
4M5SUNZ.png

Kimosabae

Banned
We listening to Flash for SF opinions now? The guy who's changed mains everyday since like the 5th grade?

What are Viper's weaker aspects?

She essentially has to respect any character with a strong ground game that knows the matchup, because she has no normals worth respecting in neutral. She doesn't get to establish much, outside of making you jump to because you fear seismo. Super Turbo characters in particular do well against her. She often has to take risks just to get started if your neutral is on point and a lot of those risks (TK BK, EX Seismo, Siesmo) can get her killed if read or reacted to appropriately.

-She's got the instant air burn kick which is almost all reward and rarely any risk. Goes into ultra in some situations, Negates fireballs and is safe on block.

iBK is only really good against characters without a low profile in neutral. It can also be punished by grabs, if it's not meaty.

-Invincible DP that can go into ultra

That can be safe jumped, but sure, that's a strength just like a lot of other characters. It can also trade into Ultra/another TK, which is really good.

-Seismo to beat fireballs from full screen. She can pretty much outzone-zoners with that shit.

You're not out-zoning Shotos, Guile or even Deejay with seismo. This is ridiculous. She gets a large advantage if the zoner screws up their pattern and allows her to land one, yeah, but that's just part of what makes the move useful. It doesn't win zoning-wars, generally.

-Thunder knuckles that are safe on block and if you confirm it, RFC into hell.

Plenty characters have stuff like this, such as Dudley. Plus, she's not going to do MP TK raw, anyway, she's going to be fishing with cr. MK which still sucks in terms of its hitbox and range.

-Some of the strongest punish combos off of one bar.

Yup. She does a shit ton of damage, no dispute there.

She just might have the best special attacks in the game.
Eh. The most interesting, maybe.

Watched the TTT1 match linked in the interview and that Lei player was so lucky on spacing and time that last round either that or just really good. It was pretty exciting to watch. True ogre just ran over him and didn't get hit by the footstomp I've never seen that before.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Xian will win Master Cup using Omega Gen because Lap Chi will be too drunk to notice.

I'm part of team DaiGOAT if he's going back to Ryu. Seeing his old videos of his Ryu still gives me chills till this day. The man was a god with that character.

Or that wakeup ultra that left you shook

What....? Huh?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! ON WAKEUP?! THIS MOTHER FU...

I'm part of team DaiGOAT if he's going back to Ryu. Seeing his old videos of his Ryu still gives me chills till this day. The man was a god with that character.

What....? Huh?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! ON WAKEUP?! THIS MOTHER FU...

Have you seen his topanga matches? That alone should make you believe in DaiGOAT.

pls ignore capcom cup

pls

Also I read that December 19th there was supposed to be a release that included TTT2, T6 and SC5. Has anyone seen this yet I've checked Amazon and can't seem to find a listing. I'd like to rebuy that for TTT2 cuz I loved that game so much. Plus it's a pretty sweet deal on all three games. I've owned TTT2 and T6 but traded them into GameStop and I never played Soul Calibur 5. So this is a killer deal.

She essentially has to respect any character with a strong ground game that knows the matchup, because she has no normals worth respecting in neutral. She doesn't get to establish much, outside of making you jump to because you fear seismo. Super Turbo characters in particular do well against her. She often has to take risks just to get started if your neutral is on point and a lot of those risks (TK BK, EX Seismo, Siesmo) can get her killed if read or reacted to appropriately.
Everyone knows Viper isn't really a footsie character because her specials pretty much do the talking for her in that aspect. I feel Viper can play a patient game 3/4 screen until they either eat a Seismo/AA/Any form of knockdown then you can go in. Not really sure how much risk there is when doing feintxfeint waiting for them to screw up. They they decide to walk forward, you can halt them with a MK TK, if they jump you have good AA's to go to. When you get the knock down it's about to be guessing central.

You're not out-zoning Shotos, Guile or even Deejay with seismo. This is ridiculous. She gets a large advantage is the zoner screws up and allows her to land one, but that's just part of what makes the move useful. It doesn't win zoning-wars, generally.

The fact that at 3/4 to almost full screen I'm at risk to take 120 damage is stupid. Characters with great recovery on their FB's like Guile/Poison but the rest cannot. Not only can she punish fireballs from full screen she can SJC into even more damage. This is stupid. You can stand 3/4 screen, do feint~feint~feint~feint oh he finally threw a fireball? get rekt. Oh, I missed timed my seismo and there's a fireball coming at me? Lemme just SJC outta the way of danger. Her options are ridiculous.

Plenty characters have stuff like this, such as Dudley. Plus, she's not going to do MP TK raw, anyway, she's going to be fishing with cr. MK which still sucks in terms of its hitbox and range.

An attack that's -1 that's hit confirmable into RFC? What does Dudley have that's like that? I think you're downplaying how MP TK's can be used in neutral when not cancelled. If the opponent is advancing towards you, there's not a lot of risk in throwing it out there since he goes over lows and is safe.

That can be safe jumped, but sure, that's a strength just like a lot of other characters. It can also trade into Ultra/another TK, which is really good.

If they're going for a safe jump couldn't you ex.Seismo/feint it to get the invincibility?

Eh. The most interesting, maybe.
Which characters have better specials? When Ryan Hart was talking about it being the best special, the only other one I had in mind that was that strong was Adon's Jaguar Kick, but at least with that you know it's going to stay in your face and rarely cross up.

In the final part of our interview with Capcom's Peter "Combofiend" Rosas, we delved into a few hot button issues the community has brought up regarding the balance of Ultra Street Fighter 4, starting with Dee Jay.

While Peter was speaking about the overall adjustment process, I mentioned our readers are going to say 'What about Dee Jay? Look at how bad he is!'

"Go ahead and look at him," he responded. "What were his main flaws? Those were looked at, I personally looked at them," said Rosas.

Peter mentioned they overdid things prior to USF4's first release though. "We went too hard on Dee Jay initially, we worried he could be too strong, and ended up making him a little too weak," he noted.

"Now he's going to be at the right place, he's going to jump up in the ranks.

"You're still going to have to be smart with him however, we're not trying to make it so that a character is brain dead good," Rosas stated.

This was a point of emphasis in our discussion, improving characters, but still requiring the players behind them to actively outsmart their opponents to achieve victory — including those who the community perceived as bottom tier.

"Even if a character was weak before, the goal here isn't just to make it so a character can win without thinking — we want you to have to think.

"With Dee Jay, the weaknesses he had were addressed, but you're still going to have to think to win," said Rosas.

..I don't think anybody trynna hear my opinion on this rn.

The buffs he got are good but.. he still aint shit

hitsugi

Omega is stupid anyways and a waste of time.

This is the truth. Plus the fact that no one's going to win anything worthwhile with that stupid infinite because it would most likely be banned if they decide not to patch it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Have you seen his topanga matches? That alone should make you believe in DaiGOAT.

pls ignore capcom cup

pls

I have, E. Ryu vs Boxer matchup wasn't in Daigo's favor as he said before Capcom Cup. If Daigo is playing Ryu, everyone here will forget that and worship him once again. I completely forgot that J. Wong actually had a Boxer and used it against Daigo that one EVO if I'm remembering it correctly.

What he can't say: DJ's viewed as a joke character in Japan.

Pls buff Deejay. If he wasn't a charge character, he would be ridiculously good.

I have, E. Ryu vs Boxer matchup wasn't in Daigo's favor as he said before Capcom Cup. If Daigo is playing Ryu, everyone here will forget that and worship him once again. I completely forgot that J. Wong actually had a Boxer and used it against Daigo that one EVO if I'm remembering it correctly.

Pls buff Deejay. If he wasn't a charge character, he would be ridiculously good.
But if we buffed Deejay what character would we complain about?

WarRock

"Even if a character was weak before, the goal here isn't just to make it so a character can win without thinking — we want you to have to think.
Seems like the perfect Ross character then.

Top Bottom