• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 14-20 | El gringo ganó todo

Astarte

Those LiangHuBBB videos are almost like a top plays of the week type of thing. I actually really enjoy that format, and don't have time to watch streams. I usually tune in, see Injustice or Smash pools or something I'm just not going to watch, switch off and then watch the GF on spooky or whoever's youtube channel much later.

I'd watch more LiangHu videos if it wasn't for him throwing bitchfits. I mean really, he takes youtube comments too seriously.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

That's not the real number though if you think about it. Should really only count final evolutions as far as what people would look forward to using. Then remove the legendaries that are WAY too strong compared to the others AND BAM that's how many there really are if you want to do vs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
p3bd3.jpg

So has anything interesting or controversial happened in the FGC within the last month. This usually takes a back seat during NFL season outside of Season's Beatings. Just curious.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
lol, I was at that tournament. I was like 14. good times. internet was crazy.

i found an old pic of me from an old tournament... it's... weird to look back at.

offcast

Neo Member
As mentioned briefly last week. We're doing an exhibition event with F.Champ at the XSplit offices. It should be fun plus wait till you see the decorations lol. It'll be at 9pm PST 12am EST Saturday night. twitch.tv/fgtvlive Oh yeah we're doing twitter raffles for free stuff $$\0/$$

As mentioned briefly last week. We're doing an exhibition event with F.Champ at the XSplit offices. It should be fun plus wait till you see the decorations lol. It'll be at 9pm PST 12am EST Saturday night. twitch.tv/fgtvlive Oh yeah we're doing twitter raffles for free stuff $$\0/$$

Anybody else that isn't F.Champ?

casperOne

Even before resources and logistical organization, you need people that can multitask well to do it, honestly. A bracket runner that can run the bracket and manage/mark the recordings at the source is important. I don't know how many folks can be bothered to do that to the point that it'd be usable in a system designed for finals day recap.

I mean honestly, most majors have equipment to do this kind of thing now, especially with Avermedia's LGP available. Depending on region, you may have the people to help out as well with the technical aspects to boot. It's the execution issue that really is the problem

This idea has been tossed around a few times (and I'm sure many people came to this idea on their own when the LGPs came out as well).

There are two main issues here:

Finding competent people to run a bracket is hard to begin with. I remember the first time I ran a bracket, there were 40+ people in it. At majors today, the bar has been lowered because of the ubiquity of the 16-man pool. This is a good thing, but even on that scale you need people who can understand how to manage resources (consoles) vs the queue (the bracket) appropriately in the face of unknown obstacles (players who may or may not show up).

Given the above, you have just given bracket runners a huge number of tasks on top of running the bracket. With the LGPs you have to worry about security; the portability of the devices makes it easier for someone to cop one.

At most majors, one person is responsible for running one 16-man pool in two hours. Now they have to make sure that they make sure that small device isn't stolen. While it's implied that the bracket runners are responsible for the security of the console and the monitor, the lack of those things creates an instant impact on the ability to run a bracket; you'll know when they're stolen. With the LGP, you wont.

The LGPs will fill up. I can't remember the specifics but based on my conversations with Art, one 10 minute match is about 500MB. That means you need at least two 8 GB card if you want to cover the pool, which realistically means you need two 16 GB cards just to cover if you run over.

That's not even the difficult part as it's just an equipment issue, you also need to label each of the SD cards, and have them linked to the brackets, along with the times (from when you first hit the button) that the bracket took place so that the footage can be spliced.

Or you can go the other way, and have the bracket runner hit start and stop after every match on both units. This is preferable, but majors are packed around the consoles, and the bracket runner might not always be in the best place to access the units (in addition to having to run the bracket).

The only solution I see to this is to have another person per bracket runner who is solely responsible for starting/stopping the units as well as correlating the content on the SD card with the brackets.

Has anybody ever looked into bringing their own equipment to create a subnet and run logistics over a LAN intranet? Set up a lightweight httpd and you could run a local version of challonge.

Yeah, even setting up a local mesh network would remove a lot of conflicts without much cost. I've used similar setups at exhibits before and it worked well over a huge space.

This is brilliant. That's a cost that can be absorbed by most TOs to gain sufficient coverage in the pool area. You wouldn't have to worry about infrastructure failures.

Just my luck: The FGC finally starts discussing brackets and tournament formats and I'm only able to type with one hand thanks to a dislocated shoulder. Sad life.

There's an opportunity here for me to get back at all those snarky sf4answers comments, but I'll save those for another time. =)

Sincerely though, a dislocated shoulder isn't fun, and I hope you recover soon.

I'll be brief. Paper brackets are used because they work consistently. Anything that goes wrong can only be due to the person holding it, and that's fixable. When you start to use technology, you increase the likelihood that something goes very very wrong and cannot be easily fixed.

As much as I want to use technology to make the FGC better, I agree that the consistency of paper brackets is nigh impossible to overcome. However, I think that with proper software and infrastructure, you can get closer than where we are now.

Example: I used to run brackets at community events on my iPad...

This is why I think better workflow would help. Assuming you're on a local network, you can have a website on the subnet that does two things, display the current status of any bracket as well as give bracket runners a way to indicate when a match in a bracket starts, as well as when it stops. If you make the interface so most of the operations are tap operations, pretty much anyone with a smartphone can run it (my God, this can so be done).

Edit: Forgot something. It's too complicated to go into right now but Challonge brackets suck. Very user-friendly site. Horribly structured brackets.

Agreed, it sucks because it doesn't have what I've mentioned above. The interface is made strictly for desktops.

You need redundancy and backups built in to the system, but that can all be done.

I'd just be feeding it all back to a server. From experience the first thing that will happen is a dropped and smashed ipad or tablet.

Yep, which is why you make it so that they have to do it on their devices. They'll be much more careful with their equipment. If they break something, then treat it as if they lost the paoper bracket (which is easy, frankly, given how many people come up and want to see brackets, fiddle with them, etc).

Are those avermedia capture things networkable with the ability to pull videos?

Not to my knowledge, no.

You'd probably only need like a couple of other people doing what LiangHuBBB already does, and thousands of people could be suggesting clips. There's issues with people compiling clips that other people put in the effort to record and may not want to give permission, but if you had say a combined effort from 3 streamers, a couple of video editors, and absolutely anyone who's able to sort thru and suggest clips, it might not be too difficult.

What if from the existing clips you took combined YouTube views, Twitter mentions, Facebook likes, and a vote mechanism and aggregated a score from that which allows videos to float up and down against other videos (of course, you'd set it to aggregate however you want, best AE videos, best Zero May Cry teams that lose, etc), would that work?

I really dislike the way spooky is currently releasing videos on youtube. There's no set time frame to when we can expect videos and when they are released, its at 20 or 30 videos at a time. A lot of matches are simply ignored. In the off chance he releases them in parts, there's no timestamp in the description telling viewers when someone played.

Personally, I prefer having events distributed into parts versus individual videos for each match. Having separate videos for each match can also spoil the outcome for uninformed viewers. The last video uploaded from an event is generally grand finals and often times, viewers can see who's in them. I personally won't be watching the other videos because I already know the outcome based on the title of grand finals (or whatever round the tournament is in).

Agreed, there's a number of things at play here, but primarily, separating the videos allows him to title the videos, which is important for SEO purposes (getting him clicks, which he deserves).

WNF uploaded the entire stream to YouTube (in like two-hour chunks). However, I think it severely impacts the searchability of those videos for specific games, let alone specific matches.

This sort of task is definitely suited to someone else entirely...not the streamer. You need a dedicated person or team for this.

Agreed, but they have to work in coordination with the streamer. It should probably be someone who is on the streamer's team with their own setup (or at least able to pull from the capture device and split/upload on-the-fly).

Top Bottom