• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 7-13 | Sharing magical moments in cyberspace

DEATH™;85582603 said:
You sound like Harada... Are u a Namco rep? :p

No, but I do have done marketing work in the past.

Someone mentioned MK9s story mode and that is not at all what I am talking about.

MK9 and Injustice's story modes are just the vs. portion of the game Vs. CPU opponents and maybe a minigame or two. It needs to be a different game but use the same assets. More over it needs to be good. It needs to have a quality story(sadly this apparently determines how good your "game" is these days and it has to be a solid fun game.

For fighting games to grow and reach a wider audence they cant be JUST a fighting game anymore, that wont cut it. When AAA titles package multiplayer along with single player the average consumer sees more value in that than a fighting game at skin level.

The problem with doing this and succeeding is budget wise this is expensive and for Capcom the major producer of these games they are a budget cash in. Dont think for a second if it actually cost Capcom substantial capital they would keep releasing these updates. They are done on the cheap. Capcom will not make such a bold move with their fighters.

So it seems the fighting game fire will one day fade and only dark will remain. Maybe its for the best.

I don't know what to believe.

NeoGAF_logo.png

Dahbomb

Basically you are asking for a Tekken Force mode but with good story, cutscenes, level design and replayability.

Will probably never happen. You don't see the MOBA games having an in depth single player mode and for good reason that stuff doesn't come cheap.

I do see what you are saying though... and this is a problem for single player only games too. People don't want to put down $60 on a game unless they are getting both single player and multiplayer games in one package. And the only single player games selling a ton these days are ones that are huge open world with some RPG type elements in them like GTAV (which incidentally also has a robust multiplayer mode).

So that means that the fighting games will be funneled into the F2P market because the focus is just the multiplayer and people don't want to pay for a MP only game.

So it seems the fighting game fire will one day fade and only dark will remain. Maybe its for the best.

Sorry but what are you talking about? All fighting games have to do is be amazing fighting games.

Bloated companies like Capcom might not be able to justify a pure fighting game in the future, but plenty of other companies will. Trying to trick people into buying them by providing a fps in the package isn't going to accomplish anything, having realistic budgets and expectations will.

No, but I do have done marketing work in the past.

Someone mentioned MK9s story mode and that is not at all what I am talking about.

MK9 and Injustice's story modes are just the vs. portion of the game Vs. CPU opponents and maybe a minigame or two. It needs to be a different game but use the same assets. More over it needs to be good. It needs to have a quality story(sadly this apparently determines how good your "game" is these days and it has to be a solid fun game.

For fighting games to grow and reach a wider audence they cant be JUST a fighting game anymore, that wont cut it. When AAA titles package multiplayer along with single player the average consumer sees more value in that than a fighting game at skin level.

The problem with doing this and succeeding is budget wise this is expensive and for Capcom the major producer of these games they are a budget cash in. Dont think for a second if it actually cost Capcom substantial capital they would keep releasing these updates. They are done on the cheap. Capcom will not make such a bold move with their fighters.

does league of legends have a single player mode?

Dahbomb

Man a game where the single player mode is like Godhand where you just play one dude who has access to a bunch of fighting game moves and you fight against other characters who are fighting game characters within the game but the multiplayer mode is just a straight up fighter.

That would be pretty awesome but no one would do it. Actually someone would do it but the quality of one of the modes would suffer. Case in point like in Tekken 6 where you played as Jin in a character action game in 3D but it sucked massive balls.

LordJim

While good tutorials help you understand what you are doing when you press buttons, the major turnoff for players aka losing is not easily overcome. It's hard for the game to analyze and pinpoint why you lost and many actual strategies and match-ups are mostly emergent.
No matter how good instructions are, it does not give someone motivation to try harder most of the time. I have seen to many people scouring available extended guides and tutorials online and still not really buckling down in the end. It just comes with the genre.

Comparing fighting games to LOL is pure stupidty. They have nothing in common, apples to oranges my friends. Also League's well will run dry, its just a matter of time.

Dahbomb

Comparing fighting games to LOL is pure stupidty. They have nothing in common, apples to oranges my friends. Also League's well will run dry, its just a matter of time.
Why is it pure stupidity to compare? Both focus on a competitive multiplayer mode that is the main point of the game. The major difference is really that one is a team multiplayer game and the other is usually a single player vs single player game.

There is nothing stopping a fighter from adopting a LoL like model of unlocking content in fact some have already tried doing this.

LoL well running dry is an irrelevant point considering Riot has already made a ton of money off of it and the game has been widely successful for years now. It can die down tomorrow and it will still be remembered as a widely successful game.

So what are you comparing fighting games with to conclude that they need all these extra modes to grow the audience?

I think the idea that a genre needs to create a completely separate game to get people interested in their original game is stupid.

While good tutorials help you understand what you are doing when you press buttons, the major turnoff for players aka losing is not easily overcome. It's hard for the game to analyze and pinpoint why you lost and many actual strategies and match-ups are mostly emergent.
No matter how good instructions are, it does not give someone motivation to try harder most of the time. I have seen to many people scouring available extended guides and tutorials online and still not really buckling down in the end. It just comes with the genre.

Yeah but there's obviously some baseline design that's on purpose and developers can go to the extent of explaining at least that.
Like in Umvc3's case, maybe there won't be tutorials about neutral but they can at least show you why/when someone would want to pushblock.

Basically if your game is designed to be emergent, you should get people up to speed so they can recognize and grow from situations themselves.

Comparing fighting games and LoL makes perfect sense. They both don't have good single player, so they should both be free, and they both have a variety of playable heroes, that can be sold individuaully with a free rotation. And they both have cosmetic skins.

Dahbomb

Like in Umvc3's case, maybe there won't be tutorials about neutral but they can at least show you why/when someone would want to pushblock.
That's probably one of the most difficult things in the game to actually explain to people.

Like for example the hard and fast rule is usually that you want to push block anything that is highly positive on block after you have confirmed the block (that's usually on the second hit). So against Wolverine you basically push block all his moves except for launcher and his specials. Except that he can cancel his unsafe on block specials into his Berserker Charge which gives him a ton of frame advantage. HOWEVER it is not wise to push block a Berserker Slash even if he cancels into Berserker Charge because the push block is negated when he does this and you are left at even more frame advantage after the push block allowing him to for a near 5 way mix up. If you don't push block you reduce his mix up options a lot and if he doesn't cancel it it's a free punish (when if you had push blocked it you can't punish it).

Not to mention using push block to avoid certain mix ups or set ups as well as not using push blocks so you don't get put into an even worse situation. As well as push blocking against projectiles to avoid chip however as a rushdown character if you keep push blocking projectiles you will never get in.

Nyoro SF

Comparing fighting games and LoL makes perfect sense. They both don't have good single player, so they should both be free, and they both have a variety of playable heroes, that can be sold individuaully with a free rotation. And they both have cosmetic skins.

Yes, I totally want to wait week-for-week to buy characters individually for a nice hefty premium.

Yes, I totally want to wait week-for-week to buy characters individually for a nice hefty premium.
You're buying ones you want faster and sooner instead of waiting a year to buy them in a pack with 5 others you don't want, for a higher price.

Also in an ideal world you would be able to buy them with ingame coins got via match wins but I'm sure Capcpom wouldn't be that consumer friendly.

Also in an ideal world you would be able to buy them with ingame coins got via match wins but I'm sure Capcpom wouldn't be that consumer friendly.

More like consumers wouldn't be that friendly to Capcom. You'd abuse that with a friend to unlock everything day one.

Beckx

HAHAHAHA

Man, I've just installed that Darkstalkers mobile game, and it forces you to login with a Line account, and you have to download their app to make an account. Then I said "fuck it" and pressed back to close it, but them I got the alert "Return to the game". Pressing "OK" resets the game, and pressing "cancel" does nothing! YOU CAN'T LEAVE THE GAME! Of course you can force to close it pressing the "home" button, but man that's just so bad

I'm crying here.

Maybe they can fix it in Ultimate.

Shouta

That's probably one of the most difficult things in the game to actually explain to people.

Like for example the hard and fast rule is usually that you want to push block anything that is highly positive on block after you have confirmed the block (that's usually on the second hit). So against Wolverine you basically push block all his moves except for launcher and his specials. Except that he can cancel his unsafe on block specials into his Berserker Charge which gives him a ton of frame advantage. HOWEVER it is not wise to push block a Berserker Slash even if he cancels into Berserker Charge because the push block is negated when he does this and you are left at even more frame advantage after the push block allowing him to for a near 5 way mix up. If you don't push block you reduce his mix up options a lot and if he doesn't cancel it it's a free punish (when if you had push blocked it you can't punish it).

Not to mention using push block to avoid certain mix ups or set ups as well as not using push blocks so you don't get put into an even worse situation. As well as push blocking against projectiles to avoid chip however as a rushdown character if you keep push blocking projectiles you will never get in.

You're taking it a step too far. You need to just explain why you would push-block and one situation that it's good for, and one situation that it would be a bad idea for. The idea is basically to go a step beyond introducing "Here is push-block, use it!" but before going into analysis for each and every situation.

Footsies would the same concept. At least for SF4, it'd be more than "Push button here"" but less than "You can use this against this char for this match-up!" The concept and application can be explained but the deeper stuff can be left out.

todd's suggestion would be a good idea but it'd take a lot of work to create and detect the data needed to customize it for individual player needs.

Lemstar

If you feel like paying less how do you do that? Is there a bartering system?
Well, there's one user selling some right now.

If you don't use CAG often or get in on deals (such as Best Buy's 400 MSP free with purchase of 1600 earlier this year, or last Black Friday's Target $10 for 1600 ad), it's probably harder to find MSP at a discount, but even major deals don't have much of a long term effect on the market price, which is pretty stable around 100 MSP for $1.

Nyoro SF

You're buying ones you want faster and sooner instead of waiting a year to buy them in a pack with 5 others you don't want, for a higher price.

Or I could get them all at once for a nice regular game fee and not have to worry again.

Looking at LoL's model now, is horrifying. I don't want that to happen to fighting games.

Sounds fun grinding out a ridiculous amount of matches to buy a few characters but I've kind of outgrown that sort of thing.

Top Bottom