• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 7-13 | Sharing magical moments in cyberspace

I feel like being very rude but I wont. I want to list off the endless reasons why LOL and fighting games are uncomparable but I feel at this point to be honest its a waste of my time. I feel like it should be obvious but if all people here can see is "they are both games and they are both competitive" than its honestly not worth my time. Like most internet forum discussion to be honest, you gotta know when you're just going to run around in circles and not make progress anymore. Agreed?

You have your opinions and theories, I have mine, we think the other is stupid, C'hest la vie. Time is the only thing that will prove anything in this discussion. Freemiuim will fail any Fighting Game that tries to follow that road. Just wait and see.

Gentlemen, its been a pleasure.

This thread is giving me a strong urge to listen to some Linkin Lark right now. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are not even a foot away from me. I can't believe I still have them after all these years.

Jazz-ism

Banned
the biggest difference between fighting games and the successful esports games like lol

is not single player playability; both genres/games are equally built for multiplayer experiences

is not tutorials (most games are going in the right direction with these)

is not anything else that makes no fucking sense

when people talk about esports vs fgc they talk about sponsorships and platform and all this other bullshit (dont get me wrong, mass exodus to PC would be great for the fgc)

but they ignore the difference in developer quality

the biggest difference is developer support, plain and simple. all these other things are IRRELEVANT. Riot and valve support their games, adequately market their games, cater to their respective audiences, re invest in their games and continue to add content thanks to the business models they have developed. they have done so CONSISTENTLY.

no fighting game dev has done the above consistently. with the exception of NRS (and think on how sad that is for a moment, no offense to NRS [quite the opposite actually, props given])

fighting game devs cant even get uniform game menus done correctly (no online rematch buttons in some games) or have uniform standards for simple shit (smart button checks). some devs create great products but fuck up in other areas (arcsys/snk).

the appeal to fighters always was and is in the multiplayer. developing the online more to create a more arcade-esque experience is a push that has been made recently to some success.

as for community/games, fgc is where it always has been. i dont understand the doom and gloom. US scene (in particular) is capcom centric (which is highly detrimental to its growth since capcom is incompetent). i get its been a boring few months guys but please stop the apocalypse posts.

Horseress

This thread is giving me a strong urge to listen to some Linkin Lark right now. Hybrid Theory and Meteora are not even a foot away from me. I can't believe I still have them after all these years.

Do it. These last months I've been listening to some shit I haven't heard in a long ass time, and damn, some bands like Limp Bizkit, Smashing Pumpkins are still too damn godlike
watever.

Reanimation is too good :eek:

It's great too, that EP before HT is godlike too

kirblar

the biggest difference between fighting games and the successful esports games like lol

is not single player playability; both genres/games are equally built for multiplayer experiences

is not tutorials (most games are going in the right direction with these)

is not anything else that makes no fucking sense

the biggest difference is developer support, plain and simple. all these other things are IRRELEVANT. Riot and valve support their games, adequately market their games, cater to their respective audiences, re invest in their games and continue to add content thanks to the business models they have developed. they have done so CONSISTENTLY.

no fighting game dev has done the above consistently. with the exception of NRS (and think on how sad that is for a moment, no offense to NRS [quite the opposite actually, props given])

fighting game devs cant even get uniform game menus done correctly (no online rematch buttons in some games) or have uniform standards for simple shit (smart button checks). some devs create great products but fuck up in other areas (arcsys/snk).

the appeal to fighters always was and is in the multiplayer. developing the online more to create a more arcade-esque experience is a push that has been made recently to some success.

as for community/games, fgc is where it always has been. i dont understand the doom and gloom. US scene (in particular) is capcom centric (which is highly detrimental to its growth since capcom is incompetent). i get its been a boring few months guys but please stop the apocalypse posts.
These companies have ways to monetize the games post-release. The continued support comes out of their marketing budget.

FGs have had a hard time getting a good system to do that, in large part because they're still so Arcade-centered in Japan and don't understand the Western market. It shouldn't be this hard to make money - and NRS has shown it isn't.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
is the pc lobby done?

I'm done for the day. Have stuff to do. Nobody seems to be around anyway. Xsplit is acting funny anyway. Don't have the patience to mess with it right now.

Either Tokido, Mago, Uryo, Eita, Neurosis, that one guy, the other guy, and some other guy will win SS.

Kumubou

Or I could get them all at once for a nice regular game fee and not have to worry again.

Looking at LoL's model now, is horrifying. I don't want that to happen to fighting games.

Sounds fun grinding out a ridiculous amount of matches to buy a few characters but I've kind of outgrown that sort of thing.
I think part of the problem is that most fighting games aren't worth $6 to most people, as they'll just donk around for a few games and then forget it, or maybe make a pass or two through the mostly forgettable single player content. However, people who seriously get into the game could get $600 worth out of the game, easily -- but you can't charge these people $600 straight-up (unless you were making Neo-Geo games back in the day). The $64,000,000 question is how do you monetize that dedicated playerbase without making people feel like they got ripped off.

I think such a proposition also makes balancing the game both more important and trickier to sell psychology. People get tight enough when their character gets nerfed as it is... but now if you paid real money to unlock them? Yikes. It's an issue in LoL as well but I think it matters less since people generally have a larger roster to pick from and that it's way easier to switch and learn another character in a MOBA than it is in a FG.

I think fighting games as a genre are one of the last remnants of the lost A-AA level of gaming, and it's what puts them in an awkward position. A few games in the genre has seen success, but no series can sustain it -- especially over a yearly basis, so the current model for AAA games is right out. Fighting games as they are are relatively lean in terms of development, in that there's not much you can cut without affecting the core mechanics of the game itself, so stripped down versions of the genre are effectively out of the budget of any indie developer (would anyone buy a 2D fighter with spritework target at 480p nowadays?)

Is there a reason that game is being abbreviated as DFC instead of DBFC?
I couldn't imagine a reason why... maybe they wanted to make the acronym a bit easier to tweet?... D:

I'm done for the day. Have stuff to do. Nobody seems to be around anyway. Xsplit is acting funny anyway. Don't have the patience to mess with it right now.

Either Tokido, Mago, Uryo, Eita, Neurosis, that one guy, the other guy, and some other guy will win SS.

alright, ggs

Jazz-ism

Banned
These companies have ways to monetize the games post-release. The continued support comes out of their marketing budget.

FGs have had a hard time getting a good system to do that, in large part because they're still so Arcade-centered in Japan and don't understand the Western market. It shouldn't be this hard to make money - and NRS has shown it isn't.

yes a big reason for this is simply japanese business culture as well. japanese companies in general are really slow to change and adaptation. the bureaucracy is on an entirely new level of stupid. working in a japanese company its easy to see what people say about capcom japan and see why their products suffer or why they just do stupid shit.

question of the day: despite being one of the most developed countries, pc ownership in japan is actually still quite low. why do you suppose that is?

answer: during the 80s and 90s when pcs were being implemented into businesses, most japanese company heads felt that computers were dangerous because they gave too much power to the common employee. thus, in japan, computers were brushed aside for a long time and they didnt give in until much later.

moral: capcpom is an example of overly bureaucratic stupidity that is quite common in japan. everyone should have known what was up when inafune dipped.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Capcom is notorious for making spelling errors in various games.. like really blatant ones including their own name. This is a joke on their poor spelling errors along with their general incompetency overall.

It's not that, that actually fucked up their name once in a trailer.

I like it since it way less lame than "crapcom"

Top Bottom