• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 8-14 | Fining Nemo

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of September 8th to the 14th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Nintendo Treehouse [ Friday ] [ 4PM EDT 1PM PDT ]
  • Nintendo announces a Treehouse stream that will be taking place just before the Japanese release of Smash 3DS, and featuring the final retail build.
Sugamo Cup [ Friday ] [ 5PM JST | 4AM EDT | 1AM PDT ]
  • Namco's Sugamo dvision hosts a TTT2 tournament in Japan that will also feature an appearance by Harada and new Tekken 7 information.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
Thaiger Uppercut [ Saturday ] [ 1PM Thailand | 2AM EDT | 11PM PDT Friday ]
  • Thaiger Uppercut returns, once again attracting top Asian talent to compete in a variety of current fighting games.
  • Capcom Pro Tour Qualifier
  • More information is available here.

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibraxaguR8qau.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our creepiest member, Mr. X!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Haven't had much time to play anything but I would be playing KoF13, Skullgirls and VF5FS. Definitely want to try Chaos Code, UNIEL, and P4A2.

All time favorite is hard to answer; 3rd Strike, Virtua Fighter, Guilty Gear XX AC because they feel incredible to play and I never tire of them. I think they all look beautiful during gameplay too especially the VF series.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Custom assists in Skullgirls. Yeah people will gravitate to certain ones but it's always interesting to see how people use really uncommon ones to make it with their team or play style and it makes for some cool stuff in combo videos. Also, goodbye horrible preset assists!

I have 2 least favorite; Guard breaks and Just Frames.

Guard breaks seem like a weak answer to a game that might be too defensive. You could tweak throws, overheads, more meter for the attacker, etc. which I feel are better solutions to the problem I think guard breaks were introduced to solve. I just don't like the message of "blocking too long" as if that's a bad thing and trying to discourage that or defensive play. I like GGXX guard bar as far as guard bars go; doesn't break but you'll take more damage once you do get opened up.

Just Frames moves (as in perfect input for a superior version of this command) are horrible. The game will naturally have high execution for better rewards over time as people get better and explore, why introduce this from the start? It feels like luck getting these moves out. Why have moves that good where you don't want people to do it 100% of the time in the first place? VF5FS has a couple but they are either very lax like Jacky's [6]K:G or totally non-essential to playing the character like Akira's Knee which gives great frame advantage but isn't mandatory to learning/playing Akira at any level.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I was exposed to fighting games at an early age. I remember SF2 on Genesis and my aunt spamming Honda hands to beat me until I cried.

I was exposed to the competitive community through Soul Calibur 2 by a guy named KojiroChickenMan on GameFAQs and signed up to soulcalibur.com and that was the rabbit hole. Before him, I just remember seeing the arcade page in the back of Tips & Tricks with the fighting game tourney results and thinking the characters that won were lame.

I've always been a huge kung-fu/karate movie so it was destined.

My other favorite genres are action and beat 'em ups like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God Hand and Streets of Rage. After that, it's on a per game basis with games in other genres.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Jacky from Virtua Fighter. As said, I am an huge fan of martial arts flicks and a huge Bruce Lee fanboy. I feel other characters inspired by Bruce Lee are parody or caricatures and Jacky is the perfect homage. Probably the only character I'll play from sequel to sequel.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I noticed I gravitate towards characters that are up close frame trap, counter hit types. Slayer in GGXX, Dudley in 3S, Vanessa my favorite in KoF.

Currently play more offline than online but current life stuff is making even that hard to do as often as I'd like.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Strength would be how strong my mixup is.

Weakness would be getting hit by things I thought the opponent wouldn't do.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best would be seeing one of my suggestions end up in 2 games.

Worst is that I haven't attended an event yet. I was ready for EVO, had the money saved and then real life was like "nope" :(
What do you want from future fighting games?
GGPO in more games. It let's you pick between rollback or input delay and the current gen has so much damn memory. PLEASE USE IT!

A tutorial even half as educational and informational as what VF4EVO offered in more fighters. That taught me how to play fighting games in general, it is incredible!
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Call Kotaku. I like this guy :thumbsup:

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
09/11  Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (JP) (PS3/360: EU: 09/12, NA: 09/16) (PC: 09/16)
09/13  Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (JP) (NA/EU: 10/03, AU: 10/04)
09/23  Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!! (NA) (EU: Q4)
09/23  Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack
09/30  Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (NA) (EU: TBD)
10/15  Killer Instinct Season 2 (NA) (EU: TBD)
11/13  Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (JP) (NA/EU: TBD)
12/04  Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (JP) (NA/EU: TBD)
Q4     BLADE ARCUS from Shining
Q4     Rise of Incarnates
Q4     Skullgirls Encore
Q4     Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
XMAS   Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
SPRING Dead or Alive 5: LAST ROUND
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
2015   Dragon Ball Xenoverse
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Under Night In-Birth (NA/EU)
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Krackatoa

Warzone was too hype. Commentary was also too hilarious by all parties. I died a few times. 10 out of 10. Would monster again.

West Coast Warzone was an excellent tournament, well ran and treated Injustice well. I hope the turn out was good enough they didn't lose money.

gutabo

Was the prize money enough to make up for that loss? Haha, probably not.

I don't think so, at least he won some of it back. They said there was more than 200 people for Ultra, I guess the price was nothing to scoff at(without counting a probable pot bonus).

I don't think so, at least he won some of it back. They said there was more than 200 people for Ultra, I guess the price was nothing to scoff at(without counting a probable pot bonus).

Was the entrance fee $20 per person or 10? I think SCR has been doing $20 for SF4 and Marvel for the past 3 years now. If it's 20, then he probably made back over half of it. If it's 10 then probably less than half. Either way I wonder if it was all his money or he collected some of it from friends who wanted to put their money on him.

capcom pro tour points! (lol)

Well yeah that doesn't mean shit to Nemo since his total is no where close to qualifying for the Capcom Cup. Kbrad on the other hand, he better finish well at TFC or finish top 2 or 3 at the final US events because he's in danger of not making the Capcom Cup.

gutabo

capcom pro tour points! (lol)

No pot bonus money? If we go through the data we have(250+ people, payout being 60/20/10/whatever) and guesstimating a $10 entrance fee he won 1.5K at least.

Was the entrance fee $20 per person or 10? I think SCR has been doing $20 for SF4 and Marvel for the past 3 years now.

If it's 20, then 20*250=5K and 5K*0.6=3K. That is, if all the entrance money went to the prices. Feel free to laugh at my guesstimates.

No pot bonus money? If we go through the data we have(250+ people, payout being 60/20/10/whatever) and guesstimating a $10 entrance fee he won 1.5K at least.

If it's 20, then 20*250=5K and 5K*0.6=3K. That is, if all the entrance money went to the prices. Feel free to laugh at my guesstimates.

Entry fee for USF4 was $15.

If we go by their challonge brackets, the # of entrants for USF4 is 169.

169 * $15 = $2535 pot

$2535 pot * .6 = $1521 give or take

UMvC3 was also $15, has 79 entrants.

79 * $15 = $1185 pot

$1185 pot * .02 = $23.7

gutabo

Entry fee for USF4 was $15.

If we go by their challonge brackets, the # of entrants for USF4 is 169.

169 * $15 = $2535 pot

$2535 pot * .6 = $1521 give or take

UMvC3 was also $15, has 79 entrants.

79 * $15 = $1185 pot

$1185 pot * .02 = $23.7

Nice!

I'm just going to mix this:
John Rog said over 200
So my final calculations will be your entrance fee data + 200 entrants.
$15*200=$3000
$3000*0.6=$1800 (+$23.7!!!)

So it's safe to say he made at least $1.5K, maybe more(maybe he even had other lesser money matches?). We might never know. Anyway, good games, a shame he didn't win the MM but it was down to the last match so happy mahvel retirement Nemo!

.la1n

Happy to see UMvC3 sets can still be pretty hype. Hate that Nemo wasn't able to take it but it was easily the most entertaining part of West Coast Warzone. As always thanks for the thread Enzo, always appreciate you taking the time to do this for us.

Thores

I've got a question about the KI Combo Breaker pack.

Does it come with Iron Galaxy's balance changes already applied? Or will you be able to use it to play the game as it was at the end of Season 1, by disabling patches?

.la1n

I've got a question about the KI Combo Breaker pack.

Does it come with Iron Galaxy's balance changes already applied? Or will you be able to use it to play the game as it was at the end of Season 1, by disabling patches?

It will be updated to the IG changes on September 23rd.

Horseress

Smash week yaaay! Is anyone here buying it on Sunday? Don't know if there's a way to create a JP account and have both NA and JP accounts on one 3DS

I'm not even getting Smash 3DS. I have to wait another two months or so for the console version. -_-

Creepiest is such a strong word ;_;
We are our avatars.

Worst is that I haven't attended an event yet. I was ready for EVO, had the money saved and then real life was like "nope" :(
I got hit by one of those real life mix-ups recently, too. I paid off my credit card finally, and then my car went *thbpt* while I pulled out of the driveway. $3000 in repairs. All on the credit card. -_-

onionfrog

Its too bad Smash isn't a simultaneous worldwide release.

I'm excited to hear impressions from people who get the Japanese version this week. And we'll get to know what the final character roster is.

I'm not even getting Smash 3DS. I have to wait another two months or so for the console version. -_-

I was thinking I wouldn't, but I might if I pull the trigger on a Japanese 3DS when the 2.0 launches. Supposedly there's some interconnectivity between the 3DS and U versions, and I'm worried about the region lock screwing that up.

We are our avatars.

I try not to think about anyone thinking of me as a 10 year old mahou shoujo

I got hit by one of those real life mix-ups recently, too. I paid off my credit card finally, and then my car went *thbpt* while I pulled out of the driveway. $3000 in repairs. All on the credit card. -_-

That sucks, hopefully nothing major happens when July rolls around

I was thinking I wouldn't, but I might if I pull the trigger on a Japanese 3DS when the 2.0 launches. Supposedly there's some interconnectivity between the 3DS and U versions, and I'm worried about the region lock screwing that up.

I try not to think about anyone thinking of me as a 10 year old mahou shoujo

That sucks, hopefully nothing major happens when July rolls around
You are so kawaiiii~

Interesting thought about the interconnectivity. I hope it's nothing major that I'll be missing out on...

Top Bottom