• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANY CHANGE TO THE STORY OR MINIGAMES IS A BAD THING

ANY

I can deal with a different battle system and extra content but any changes to the story, characters personalities, or minigames is pure garbage

I'm kind of the opposite. Some minor tweaks to the narrative for the sake of the current landscape (honeybee inn, stuff like that) is far more forgivable to me than going crazy with the battle system.

But really, I don't want a lot changed/taken out, only added. FF7 isn't remembered solely for its story/combat/atmosphere/world, but a combination of all that. It's very much the whole that people point to when they gush about their nostalgia for the game.

Can't wait for realtime action RPG FF7. Ain't like the original is going anywhere so why should the remake have to be constrained by the old battle system?

Another "turn-based=archaic" argument? Even when we got plenty of hype for other turn-based console JRPGs (Persona 5, other stuff)?

ZenTzen

you know, Aeriths death will be very powerful now with this remake, but people, remember the other parts as well, barrets past for example

It just seems like if they cancelled XV in favor of VIIR, no one would blink an eye. The hype seems that deep.

People sure as fuck forgot about XV, that's for sure. Could've been intentional. Square might've been tired of people saying, "Why is the new footage delayed until Gamescom? Why not E3?!". Bam! Final Fantasy VII Remake teaser....

... silence...

By the time FFVIIR talk has died down, people are going to remember, "Oh yeah, FFXV! Where is...?!" and BOOM, it'll already be Gamescom!

Two Words

you know, Aeriths death will be very powerful now with this remake, but people, remember the other parts as well, barrets past for example

I'm actively trying to forget the game. I want to just not think about the game for years until its release so I can play it without accounting for the original at every turn.

yami4ct

It just seems like if they cancelled XV in favor of VIIR, no one would blink an eye. The hype seems that deep.

I would certainly be pissed! I really want XV. It's the most promising new FF I've seen in ages. They hit a lot of what I've always wanted from an FF game. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard Hiroaki Hirata's voice in the Japanese trailers and any FF with him in it has a damn good start.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ANY CHANGE TO THE STORY OR MINIGAMES IS A BAD THING

ANY

I can deal with a different battle system and extra content but any changes to the story, characters personalities, or minigames is pure garbage

for people like you, i honestly think thats why they are having the port available... its the best its going to be for the "original experience" and frankly all that the game needs is analog stick input added.

the original playstation version is a chore to play considering you can't use the analog stick.

Let's not be hasty. I think once the amazement fades (a bit), and Square starts ramping up marketing for XV at and after Gamescom, they'll still be plenty of hype for that. Also, we'll probably get it at least a year ahead of 7R.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
I'm kind of the opposite. Some minor tweaks to the narrative for the sake of the current landscape (honeybee inn, stuff like that) is far more forgivable to me than going crazy with the battle system.

But really, I don't want a lot changed/taken out, only added.

Another "turn-based=archaic" argument? Even when we got plenty of hype for other turn-based console JRPGs (Persona 5, other stuff)?

The Honeybee Inn is in the best part and most important part BY FAR for me.

It gave the game personality.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... I still absolutely cannot believe this is happening. This is like... confirming there really are aliens out there in terms of the gaming world. It's just that unreal.

Either way, I hope they keep the world map, and I'd prefer the battle system just stay similar at least. Also hoping for the same melodies and keeping the atmosphere mostly light with blue skies when necessary.

I'm really not super into them flying around like Naruto characters ala advent children. Let's keep it classic.

I'm actually really looking forward to the spaceship launch scene.

As a kid, my Disc 2 was scratched, so it would always freeze just after Cid and Cloud made a break for the escape pods. It's practically burned into my head at this point, much more than any other scene in the game, mostly because until I got a new copy, I played that part over and over again, hoping I could actually proceed.

Gaffi

I was thinking about that scene today actually, you know where you
fight Dyne
. Man... I forget about his backstory especially regarding
Marlene/Dyne
. Sooo good. In AC
Barret and Marlene
don't even interact do they? Just noticed how odd that feels.

All of these scenes and many others in current gen graphic detail! :0

If that's your complete attitude, this game probably isn't for you. In order to succeed, the game will certainly have to appeal beyond the FF7 nostalgia. The hardcore fanbase will be major boon, but it won't be enough.
I just love how fuckin sure people are of themselves, especially with little to no information. It's just like the whole FF Versus XIII thing. People get a small glimpse of heaven and suddenly they are fuckin experts school others about the "in"s and "out"s.

Can't wait for realtime action RPG FF7. Ain't like the original is going anywhere so why should the remake have to be constrained by the old battle system?
Good games(or "things" in general) are only constrained by closed minds and trends riding. If you have to say, "appeal to the now", you've already lost.

The game gets immensely better once Aeris dies. I always looks forward to it during subsequent playthroughs cause thats when the game truly opens up.

i'm a bit worried about this remake in some ways.

All those small areas, like small bars in Junon.. are they gonna stay? this game is gonna need A LOT of effort to keep all the areas.

and if they go by advent children's world it's gonna look so different in some places..

Paltheos

I posted this earlier, but this somewhat addresses your question so I'll post it again.

"Final Fantasy VII is a game that defined a generation. It was huge and heavily narratively driven, and though there had been many games like that before, FF7 was one of, if not, the first to be so cinematic in its presentation and to catch mainstream notice. Not everybody loves it, but nobody worth their salt contests that it changed gaming forever."

yami4ct

i'm a bit worried about this remake in some ways.

All those small areas, like small bars in Junon.. are they gonna stay? this game is gonna need A LOT of effort to keep all the areas.

and if they go by advent children's world it's gonna look so different in some places..

I want to start seeing the city/town areas of FFXV mainly because I think that'll tell us a lot about SE's current world making direction. I expect most major small things will be there, but some stuff that only has a few bits of irrelevant dialogue might get taken out.

RPGCrazied

The game gets immensely better once -------------. I always looks forward to it during subsequent playthroughs cause thats when the game truly opens up.

I think it just gives Cloud even more determination to hunt down a certain fellow with a long sword.

If they change that, it'll be like whats the point?

Juraash

Part of me really wants to see a more active battle system. If this really leans to fit in more with Crisis Core and Advent in terms of style I feel like something more active fits. The way Cloud and Co move, especially in AC would gel really great with a more active/fluid system.

But I also love me some classic turn based stuff.

I think I'm open minded to nearly all changes they might see fit to make. The general story and the characters are what has tied me to this game for so long.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
"YOU MEAN THERE'S A WORLD BEYOND MIDGAR?!"
I hate to be Mr. Negative, but this also applies:

"YOU MEAN YOU NEVER GET TO EXPLORE ABOUT 80% OF MIDGAR!?"

Mikey Jr.

You are naive if you think this is going to be a scene for scene, minigame for minigame remake.

You're f'n duuuuuuuumb.

Cloud dressing up as a girl? That will be in there.

Cloud in the bathhouse with a bunch of dudes? That won't be.

Also, the battle system will be different. I expect ff15 style 1000000%.

n0razi

The excitement over a remake is surreal. No way near the same level for XV. What gives? Why is VII so popular? What has it done that all the others before and after havent done? Why is Cloud and Aerith(aeris) better than Lightning and Hope or Squall and Rinoa or Titus and Yuna?

you must either be younger than 20 years old or only had a N64 growing up

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm just ready to unleash this KOTR o some poor fool in HD

and a better ending, that maybe includes Yuffie and Vincent this time, and has some sort of resolution

Bearpowers

Neo Member
You are naive if you think this is going to be a scene for scene, minigame for minigame remake.

You're f'n duuuuuuuumb.

Cloud dressing up as a girl? That will be in there.

Cloud in the bathhouse with a bunch of dudes? That won't be.

Also, the battle system will be different. I expect ff15 style 1000000%.

Honeybee Inn is the best part.

We need it, the implied rape, the domestic abuse, the use of retard as a slur, everything that made FF7, FF7.

I know it won't be identical, but I'm really hoping they hit all the towns/dungeons and keep the plot mostly intact (but obviously with a much better presentation/script). I'm alright with action rpg or more traditional rpg gameplay, so I can handle that either way.

RPGCrazied

How come everyone in this thread doesn't have FF7 avatars?! :p Its a big day people! A day I never thought would come to be honest.

How come everyone in this thread doesn't have FF7 avatars?! :p Its a big day people! A day I never thought would come to be honest.

R&C reimagining is still more hype in my mind

At least the FFVII had demand so maybe it would happen because of that. Who the heck was asking for a R&C 1 remake lol

Sinfamy

They finally pressed that button.
ZmZ9FoD.gif

RPGCrazied

Agreed, to me it sounds like Jecht or the guy that does Zaraki in the Bleach english dub

Can you imagine having this on your resume? Probably don't need it but like "I voiced the narration of the FF7R reveal!" He would be set for life doing voice acting work. Unless he already is doing voice acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom