• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 The Best Game Ever?

Belfast

Once again, I repeat, I really think people who attack FF7 are attacking the fanbase from an elitist standpoint and not the game itself. I've yet to hear legitimate reasons why the game is such a completely horrible travesty to the genre.

element

SMB3 should have won.

WTF??

Metroid Prime
Half-Life
winner = MP???

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metal Gear Solid 2
winner = SSBM?

Super Mario RPG
Street Fighter II
winner = SM RPG?

what a freaking joke!!

hobbitx

I've yet to play an rpg I loved more than FFVII, out of all the ones I played it was just so fun and easy to relate too. The story, the music, the atmosphere, it was just so cool and made you feel so there, at least for me anyway. I don't know about best overall game, but I definitely find this to be the best rpg ever. I wish they would make a sequel already, anime style of course.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Belfast said:
Once again, I repeat, I really think people who attack FF7 are attacking the fanbase from an elitist standpoint and not the game itself. I've yet to hear legitimate reasons why the game is such a completely horrible travesty to the genre.
then you obviously avoid FF threads cuz I've had that argument multiple times ont his board... last board... last version of this board? bah... I've had it before and you had a chance to read it but didn't!

I hate the fans of the game much more than I hate the game but I still really hated the game long before I knew anyone's opinion of it but my own.

DCX

DCX
I love FF7, the story was very engaging, the characters were memorible...and it really brought RPGs into the mainstream.

DCX

ElyrionX

FF7 was fantastic but probably not the Best Game Ever. Personally, I voted for Chrono Trigger because that was the first RPG I ever played and it was f**king fantastic. Now, I think back on FF7 and it was one hell of an experience too. First time I summoned Knights of the Round, my jaw hit the floor.........

Flynn

Final Fantasy 7 The Best Game To Be Out Around The Same Time That A Million or So Kids Got Their First Playstation Ever.

Pimpbaa said:
I liked FF7 at the time, but have grown to hate it since every FF since then has been a clone of 7.

In what way have FF's since FF7 been clones of it? The characters have been completely different and so has the gameplay.

Final Fantasy 7... Was that the one with the blonde spikey haired guy in a wheelchair tumbling down into some green ooze in all the while thinking he was a pathetic loser because he made himself believe that he was somebody else or something? If it was... I don't think I liked it that much. I'm prolly not remembering that particular scene correctly, but its been a long while since I played that game. However, FF7 did have its accomplishments. The integration of cinematic FMV scenes being the primary one.

Zaptruder

Banned
Better games have come and gone and been before FFVII...

but in terms of initial impact; the first time playing through it... no other game has wowed me as much or since. Incredible graphics and presentation at the time; a competent and actually quite fun battle system (yes it's easy to abuse, yes its broken and can easily be messed around with; but it doesn't mean it was completely worthless as some posters would like to suggest). An awesome setting; to this date the FFVII world has to be one of my favourites; so varied and dystopic... a great melding of fantasy, adventure and cyberpunk. Also had the greatest number of "whoa" moments in a FF game as well as having an awesome sense of style (that is greatly derided these days as pandering to the mainstream; but what they fail to realise or perhaps remember is that FFVII refined and took this style to the mainstream!).

In terms of it's gameplay it measured up competently; the things that you could do in the game was wide and varied and just the whole overall package was excellent.

Even if there have been games that have done somethings better then FFVII, as just a piece of entertainment, few can surpass the original FFVII experience; such that it's rating as 'best game' of all time is perhaps not that suprising or even unwarranted at all. Certainly its one of my fondest gaming experiences.

Solid

Best Game Ever: Final Fantasy VIII

squall.jpg

IMO I might add :D

Top Bottom