• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2011: This year it's for children!

Boney said:
Help?

twitter beat me
Go to your home page, and there should be only one space where you can type stuff. Type "@FF5ForFutures #reg" in that space, then the "tweet" button. After a few seconds, you'll get a reply telling you what job you've been assigned. Once you get to each crystal, do the same thing, but replace "#reg" with whatever crystal you've come across (excluding the wind crystal, obviously).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I get all giddy every time I tweet for a new job (First time using Twitter as well).

We need stuff like this more often. Just got Bard...

Party so far is Thief, Red Mage, Bard. How's my party looking so far?

*edit*

Hrm, somethings not right. I just finished the Fire Crystal and was assigned the job of Bard, but in game it's not available.

Boney

Banned
@Boneysucks has registered for FF5FJF2011, got the Wind Job 'Knight' and will break their A button.

Awesomesauce! Just like last year.

Xena

Tomat said:
I get all giddy every time I tweet for a new job (...).

We need stuff like this more often.
(...)
I agree! As I understand, you guys/gals held this event for FFV twice... it would be nice if there were other games as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
seabee said:
I agree! As I understand, you guys/gals held this event for FFV twice... it would be nice if there were other games as well.

FFV is almost uniquely well suited for the actual mechanical way the event works. Everyone gets a different experience and essentially every build is fairly reasonable to beat the game with.

Most other FF games are not well suited; only FF1 really pops out in my mind as a good choice, and it's a significantly less playable game than FF5 and there'd be no progression, you'd just get your full class pack right from the beginning.

Do you have any other non-FF games in mind?

DMG-01

B.K. said:
I'm going to need 200,000 Gil to buy Flame Rings. What's a good place to make Gil in World 1?
The wolves outside of Karnak are pretty good for Gil farming if you have an AoE attack.

B.K.

DMG-01 said:
The wolves outside of Karnak are pretty good for Gil farming if you have an AoE attack.

Yeah, but I just did the math for that. It's going to take over 300 battles to get that amount of gil.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
FF5 is pretty much the perfect game for this sort of thing.

I've never made it all the way through Final Fantasy III, but it should be good for this too. Unless there are places you can't get through the game unless you use a certain job.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm pretty sure there is the one boss that is either impossible or incredibly unlikely without 4 dragoons. But it has been a while.

Xena

Stumpokapow said:
FFV is almost uniquely well suited for the actual mechanical way the event works. Everyone gets a different experience and essentially every build is fairly reasonable to beat the game with.

Most other FF games are not well suited; only FF1 really pops out in my mind as a good choice, and it's a significantly less playable game than FF5 and there'd be no progression, you'd just get your full class pack right from the beginning.

I don't know on top of my head. Personally I don't think it would have to be just because of having different experiences though it's obviously a cool thing.

On my run, I'm also trying to fill up the bestiary as much as I can; things like these I believe are also some kind of challenge that motivates. Especially since my tactics will be hampered by the 4 classes randomly selected in this case.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Without spoiling the game for anyone, when exactly am I supposed to unlock the Bard job? I finished the Fire Crystal part (as far as I know), but I only got three new jobs (none of which were Bard).

GrumpyAlien said:
Keep playing until you get to the southwestern island by steamboat. You can't miss it. Just keep following the story.

Thanks. I was worried there was something wrong with my game or something.

Tomat said:
Without spoiling the game for anyone, when exactly am I supposed to unlock the Bard job? I finished the Fire Crystal part (as far as I know), but I only got three new jobs (none of which were Bard).

Keep playing until you get to the southwestern island by steamboat. You can't miss it. Just keep following the story.

Toth

Fun second world fact I came upon today. Use Control on the Shield Dragon in the Sealed Castle and then have it cast Blaze on itself a few times for an easy 2k exp and 5 ATB. BST love!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I remember we kicked around possibilities for other games that might work for this sort of thing towards the end of the first challenge. We didn't come up with anything that set people's hearts on fire.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
FxCam_1311042476587.jpg

This guy was a pain last year. Damn Beserker!
LLShC.gif

FxCam_1311043095800.jpg

Much easier.

FxCam_1311044349462.jpg

Get off my ship!

FxCam_1311044419553.jpg

Good riddens.

FxCam_1311045541770.jpg

It's like the clouds and bushes from Mario.

FxCam_1311045663875.jpg

Hardly qualifies as a boss.

Now I'm up to...

FxCam_1311047145288.jpg

..which has kicked my ass so far. Last year I remember having to grind for 50k rings in Easterly Village before I was able to beat it. I might have to again this year unless someone has suggestions for a Mystic Knight X2 / Geomancer / White Mage party. Aging is probably what makes it so difficult. I have Esuna, but it just comes back so easily.

RevenantKioku said:
I'm pretty sure there is the one boss that is either impossible or incredibly unlikely without 4 dragoons. But it has been a while.

It is near impossible. I think FFV has a much superior job system, so going to III would be a downgrade.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ixix said:
I remember we kicked around possibilities for other games that might work for this sort of thing towards the end of the first challenge. We didn't come up with anything that set people's hearts on fire.
Yeah, there are lots of fun runs. FF6 no-esper, FF8 no EXP. Scarlet even loves her some FF1 Iron Man, which I find too annoying to be worth it though. But for sheer variety to prevent everyone doing the same exact thing, FF5 comes out on top.

Plus, we have 223 people this year, which is about 100 more than last year. It keeps going strong so I'm happy to run it.

Only other game I could think of would be FFTactics, because of its similar job system, but you'd either have to set up a SCC (where you just use one job) or figure out some kind of other rule system.

DMG-01

I don't think FFIII is a very viable game for this challenge, but I'm trying to think of how many times a specific job is required to proceed in the game.

-There are I think 2 dungeons where you need a WM/RM to cast Mini/Toad on your party. (This wouldn't be a problem for 1/3 of players).
-Dragoons aren't needed to beat Garuda, although it's pretty difficult without them.
-Dark Knights are the only class that can kill the multiplying enemies in that one cave, IIRC, but I don't remember if that's an optional cave or not.

I can't think of any more instances, but three or four spots wouldn't be too hard to work around.

Absoludacrous said:
Only other game I could think of would be FFTactics, because of its similar job system, but you'd either have to set up a SCC (where you just use one job) or figure out some kind of other rule system.
You unlock one Job per chapter, you're allowed to build up to the prerequisites. Use 4 generics + Ramza

RevenantKioku

Don't forget to send a #victory tag with your screenshot so I can update the LIST OF CHAMPIONS!

We have one person already! I believe they were done before I said the #victory tag thing so they will be excused. But doing this makes it easier for me as I want to confirm victories and NOT have that automated.

Oh, and my boss fights from Garula to Sandworm.

Negator

Third go at Neo Exdeath, with some more levels and a different setup.

b144R.png
soll9.png
sqX5G.png
3ZtiV.png

UB2Xg.png
gzUOU.png
OEXEs.png
NMsRd.png

And thus, the battle rages on...
Wr8xb.png
Agy7B.png
sSCO9.png

At long last...VICTORY!
r77D8.png
MSePk.png
PErwH.png

xUYWh.png
epyMA.png
SFVvU.png
Bq2WE.png
0Lov2.png

x7o4K.png

Ourobolus

Banned
DMG-01 said:
I don't think FFIII is a very viable game for this challenge, but I'm trying to think of how many times a specific job is required to proceed in the game.

-There are I think 2 dungeons where you need a WM/RM to cast Mini/Toad on your party. (This wouldn't be a problem for 1/3 of players).
-Dragoons aren't needed to beat Garuda, although it's pretty difficult without them.
-Dark Knights are the only class that can kill the multiplying enemies in that one cave, IIRC, but I don't remember if that's an optional cave or not.

I can't think of any more instances, but three or four spots wouldn't be too hard to work around.
I did an FFIII DS run (I think last year) and it should be feasible. Other than having to switch for amoment to cast Mini/Toad a few times, it wasn't that bad. Those are really the only places you MUST change jobs. The rat can be killed with the attack items you get up to that point. Garuda is just weak to Wind, so there are a couple ways to go about it (although I think his defense against anything else is much higher in the NES version). The multiplying enemies can be killed by either Dark Knights or by a large enough attack, IIRC, or you can just run.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
@rjover has registered for FF5FJF2011 and got the Wind Job 'White Mage'. Yay, healing!

Here we go!

Dascu

6Hm3e.png
BIfzq.png

Just in case I get Bard.

Xd0Zh.png

I love the overworld theme while flying the wind drake.

zR5M1.png

Magnets, how do they work?!

R9RBJ.png

Time Mage! Was hoping for Mystic Knight, but this is a great class too. Didn't know/forgot that Time Mages have Regen and Float. The latter should be especially handy for some boss fights. Oh, and I can use/break rods for decent offensive magic so that's good.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Stumpokapow said:

Could any of the Dragon Quest games be toyed with in a similar way to FFV? I'd love to do this with one I've never given a shot before.

Got chemist from the Earth crystal, which means I'm officially not allowed to complain about any of my other jobs.

Is there anything I need to make sure I steal (for the Chemist in particular) before I leave world 1 or can I get it all on world 2/3 as well?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My tweet telling me to choose Ninja said to get rid of all weapons, is barehanded the best way with them?

Entropia

No One Remembers
After many frustrations with X-Death in his castle, I left, bought a bunch of weapons to throw at him and he went down with ease. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Summoner, really? :/ I was hoping to have a damage dealer and heal ability. *sigh*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, FF1 works. FF3 is much too hard to do this with, mostly because the last dungeon has NO SAVE POINT so it's basically 1-2 hours of dungeon crawling and hoping you don't fall.

FFT can't work because there's no progression system for it.

FF10-2 could work, I guess, as you have to progress and do some sidequests for the job spheres, but that seems like too much work and hassle and doesn't really work too well.

There is FF12:International: ZJS where you choose the job on a per-character joining basis (IIRC), but that's LOL JAPAN ONLY.

ccbfan

Man God said:
Thieves can steal and that makes the game a lot easier, there is some absolutely nasty stuff you can steal before you ever get the Thief's Knife and speed is a very underrated ability. Also because of how mechanics work they become absolutely deadly with the Chicken Knife at the end of the game. Monks can basically get a lot of HP and make any class do decent frontrow damage for part of the game.

Basically none of the first crystal jobs are bad, so you have to pick the one that least helps you beat the game, and that is probably Monk.

This year's challenge I agree that Monk might be worst wind class.

Thief like bard and white mage are great support characters. They need other characters to make them useful though. They need other classes for damage. Only until the end of the game do thieves like white mage finally become competent by themselves. World 1 and World 2 is a good majority of this challenge.

Luckily this challenge everyone gets a 4th class. All fourth class are good. Some OMG broken Godly like Chemist and Samurai while some are just good and dependable like Lancer. So white mages and thieves will always have a least one powerhouse to support. In case like chemist and samurai. They become a powerhouse themselves.

Last year though its a completely different story where thief and white mage came as a set and no fourth class (No fourth class alone makes thief and white mage the worst wind crystal job).

Get a team like Thief/White Mage/Berserker/Bard and every battle becomes a struggle for dependable damage.

Monks on the other hand can survive by themselves. 4 monks probably have an easier time with the game than 2 thiefs and 2 white mages.

Archeoavis-ffv.gif

I can't get past this guy. I've got two blue mages and a bard spamming Aera doing around 650 each time and a Berserker just doing whatever he wants, which isn't much help. My only way to heal is with Regen and potions so I can't last long while he breaths fire over everyone and sapping their HP.

Zane

Here's all the progress I made last night!

MxAIV.png

After earning my third set of Jobs (I got Geomancer), I decided to some sidequesting. So here's Ramuh! Absolutely no point in getting him since I don't have access to Summoner. But he's easy, so why not. How easy? Well he's vulnerable to Death Claw, which paralyzes him AND brings his HP down to the single digits. One hit after that and he's dead.

wBgZk.png

Continuing the plot, we encounter Sand Worm. He, too, is very easy. The Blue spell Aqua Breath kills him in one hit.

KeR5K.png

TKZsl.gif

SDlCB.png

Heh, more like CRAP Claw. He has a very glaring weakness to thunder element attacks. So we power up our Mystic Knights with Thundara Spellblades and let him have it.

QiOUG.png

TKZsl.gif

49DVW.png

Oh shit, it's the Adamantoise!

EOKu6.png

Oh wait.

MkPUU.png

TKZsl.gif

E3LxR.png

We make our attack on the floating Ronka Ruins and learn the Blue spell "Missile." It's like a stronger version of Gravity. Very useful because in this challenge, I don't have access to Gravity.

uOwdr.png

The monsters here also let us learn the Blue spell "Flamethrower." It's a pretty powerful fire-elemental single target attack.

UTs17.png

I killed this guy before he could even attack me. First I took out his buddies with a single casting of Level 5 Death and then I used Thundara Spellblades and broken Thunder Rods to kill him in a few turns.

ZEAhw.png

TKZsl.gif

UFFnM.png

This guy guards our fourth set of Jobs. I had some trouble with him, though. He actually has five forms but unless you know what's happening behind the scenes, you'll only notice two actual transformations. He changes form each time you deal 1600 HP of damage. His first form is weak to Wind and we have that in spades. Two castings of Aera and his first form goes down. But his next three forms are rather resilient. Each new form absorbs a different element so I couldn't rely on Spellblades. It was just a matter of chucking Aeras and Gaias at him until his fifth form emerged.

...his fifth form dies to Level 5 death.

QdzDp.png

TKZsl.gif

VHubp.png

Oh boy!

nlHYZ.png

Decent, I suppose.

DMG-01

Anyone know a good place to get lots Dragon Fangs in world 2 without stealing? I think that they're the only thing that can help me beat Exdeath.

Zane

Spiffy_1st said:
Archeoavis-ffv.gif

I can't get past this guy. I've got two blue mages and a bard spamming Aera doing around 650 each time and a Berserker just doing whatever he wants, which isn't much help. My only way to heal is with Regen and potions so I can't last long while he breaths fire over everyone and sapping their HP.

Get your Blue Mages to learn Vampire from the Steel Bats in the very first cave where you find Faris' pirate hideout. It's an attack that deals damage according to your max HP minus your current HP. And it heals you for that damage.

DMG-01 said:
Anyone know a good place to get lots Dragon Fangs in world 2 without stealing? I think that they're the only thing that can help me beat Exdeath.

Zombie Dragons in Drakenvale drop them.

mattiewheels

^^remilia^^ said:
Maybe you should just !Throw them all away...
Oh, heh.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
A Human Becoming said:
It is near impossible. I think FFV has a much superior job system, so going to III would be a downgrade.

Oh man, I kept thinking that boss was FFV, but it was FFIII. This entire thread I was wondering how people were handling that boss without dragoons. Different game heh.

Can't find my Micro and cartridge. Grrr....Really wish this game was available on PSN in US.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I went into the X-Realm after realizing that I only needed like 3 of the "Legendary Weapons" and don't have any casters.

I got to Catastrophe. Not sure how I can handle this. :\

Link Man

Banned
Ronka Ruins down! Two-Handed Berserker tore Archeoavis apart with his Death Sickle. Finally got my last job:

FinalFantasy5Advance_09.png

Three years in a row, woot! Two-handed is a godsend now, and I no longer need to worry about the purple bombs or the Gargoyles (I can just buy my way past them!). Healing's going to be fun, but luckily I'll have access to Hi-Potions soon (and due to the nature of the challenge, I won't need to waste elixirs in the Phoenix Tower, so I'll have those). I guess I should start keeping some Phoenix Down handy.

Plus, I can start selling Ethers now (unless I decide to go with the Rune Axe).

Anyway, more story:

-We defeat a "bedamned clapperclaw"!
-Bartz and Galuf attempt to assassinate the king of Tycoon!
-A young girl jumps off a falling meteor onto a flying castle!
-The king of Tycoon is KO'd by a level 1 spell!
-The crystal shatters, and an evil tree sprouts in its place!
-The king of Tycoon cleanses the crystal shards with his blood!
-Galuf regains his memories, and decides to leave this dying world behind!
-Bartz, Lenna and Faris decide to leave everything they love forever in order to chop some wood!

FinalFantasy5Advance_10.png

And yes, this means that Galuf is going to storm Exdeath's castle as a Berserker. Yay!

Boney

Banned
@Boneysucks has gotten the Water Crystal Shards and unlocked 'Summoner'. Side quest time!

Oh man :(

I guess this is good?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Try doing the trench boss without a good multi hit. It's very frustrating.

Magic Lamp

I just ground out Chicken Knife in the Wind Shrine. Now I have an easy source of near 9999 damage with front row 50% sword dance.

Top Bottom