• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII

Diablos

Rahul said:
No, you yearn for good games. You just happened to be younger and less jaded/experienced when you played the Squaresoft pre-2000 titles, and therefore have not only a nostalgic attachment to them, but because you played them earlier, they feel fresher.

Good games can still come from the new polymorphism model. These games can be as innovative as Chrono Trigger, as deep and intelligent as Vagrant Story or as strategic as FFT. Polymorphism doesn't attach franchises to specific development teams or platforms. If polymorphism executes well, you will get everything you need, because you'll be an audience and Square Enix will develop a title to address that audience.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I'd rather have a game based on something different than a 500th FF13 game, but that's just me.

JayDubya

Banned
PolyGone said:
Frankly I wouldn't trust the Square of today with a sequel to my Vagrant Story.

That game didn't sell well enough by their standards to make a sequel, despite the fact that it was fucking amazing and had one of the best "GIVE ME A DAMN SEQUEL" endings I've ever seen. I really don't understand why it bombed - it was adored by critics and most people that bought it loved it... but so few people bought it for whatever reason.

><

The graphics and story design was this wonderful blend of Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, like the best of both worlds, and the combat / equipment system was so damn robust and complex.

duckroll

There will be a total of 13 titles in the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII project. The franchise will span from 2006 (announcements) to 2013 (the release of the final game in the franchise).

If it comes true, I hate myself.

duckroll said:
There will be a total of 13 titles in the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII project. The franchise will span from 2006 (announcements) to 2013 (the release of the final game in the franchise).

If it comes true, I hate myself.

Don't worry. The last 5 games will be remakes or portable ports of the first 5.

ssoass

PolyGone said:
Frankly I wouldn't trust the Square of today with a sequel to my Vagrant Story.

The most important VS developers worked on FF12 as freelancers (the director, art director, composer, and character designer) and did a great job at it, so I don't doubt that they would make Vagrant Story 2 as good as, if not better than the original.

duckroll

ssoass said:
The most important VS developers worked on FF12 as freelancers (the director, art director, composer, and character designer) and did a great job at it, so I don't doubt that they would make Vagrant Story 2 as good as, if not better than the original.

Huh? Matsuno, Minagawa and Yoshida are not freelancers. They're Square Enix full time employees. Only Sakimoto the composer is a freelancer. :p

Ponn

Banned
Wait, is this really a fourth game or is this just going to be name of the cell phone/mobile game announced? I don't remember that one actually having a name attached yet.

duckroll

Ponn01 said:
Wait, is this really a fourth game or is this just going to be name of the cell phone/mobile game announced? I don't remember that one actually having a name attached yet.

The mobile on is Final Fantasy Agito XIII. So this has to be new.

Drek

To be honest I'd be surprised if this "Haeresis" is even in a real game yet. Square has locked up names for various Chrono, FF, Mana, etc. with nothing ever coming of it. Its nothing new, with this new branching IP shit they'll probably do it a whole lot more.

And yeah, they're milking the shit out of franchises, but its in a different sort of way, you got to give them that. Each iteration is basically its own series, and every 3-5 years they'll bring out a new iteration. Roughly two per generation, and they develop tons of content. They supposedly want to be on par with EA and Konami in sales, you need lots of content for that.

I don't think it spells the end for Chrono, Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, etc. either. Square Enix's E3 announcements show us a huge FF presence, FF7 in the short term and FF13 in the long term, after that though they're only working with Mana, which hasn't exactly been a dynamite seller. I don't think it'll be long before they'll be looking to add more IPs to heavy circulation. Then all our favorite old series can get milked.

Just imagine what they'll do with Chrono's polymorphism. Its about different times and worlds as it is!

Damn, I didn't even think about Enix' franchises. DQ polymorphism anyone?

God, I'm so sick of Square trying to be hip with these ridiculous (and from the similarity to Yuna) and unoriginal characters, thousand hit combos, jumping and gunning, etc. What happened when Square created their own style instead of taking their cues from j-pop? And who the hell decided Dragon Quest was going to get the glorious old-school makeover, while Final Fantasy is whored out left and right. I blame Nomura!

Seriously, I don't mean to sound whiney, but is there anyone else here, like myself, who just loved the Final Fantasy games even through 10, but are starting to wonder if, without the Guch, Amano, and Uematsu the loyalty is even worth it anymore?

Btw, I know that was one sentence. Deal with it.

Pellham

Banned
duckroll said:
Huh? Matsuno, Minagawa and Yoshida are not freelancers. They're Square Enix full time employees. Only Sakimoto the composer is a freelancer. :p

even then, wasn't Sakimoto an official fulltime employee when Square made FFT? he later left to go freelance after that.

God, I'm so sick of Square trying to be hip with these ridiculous (and from the similarity to Yuna) and unoriginal characters, thousand hit combos, jumping and gunning, etc. What happened when Square created their own style instead of taking their cues from j-pop?

they do it because it sells. sad fact of life.

Rahul

Drek said:
I don't think it spells the end for Chrono, Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, etc. either. Square Enix's E3 announcements show us a huge FF presence, FF7 in the short term and FF13 in the long term, after that though they're only working with Mana, which hasn't exactly been a dynamite seller. I don't think it'll be long before they'll be looking to add more IPs to heavy circulation. Then all our favorite old series can get milked.

Just imagine what they'll do with Chrono's polymorphism. Its about different times and worlds as it is!

Yeah, don't speak too soon. When they announce 7 new Chrono titles and say "but this is what you wanted", I'm sure everyone will just complain again.

Just take what comes and leave what you don't like. It's pretty easy. Makes you a lot happier overall, too.

PS. Mana is not the only franchise they're "working with" outside of FFXIII and FFVII. Code Age Commanders will get a push soon and Full Metal Alchemist has some life left in it. Not to mention Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean.

duckroll

Pellham said:
even then, wasn't Sakimoto an official fulltime employee when Square made FFT? he later left to go freelance after that.

Huh no. Sakimoto has been freelance his entire carrer.

I know it sells, but I thought Final Fantasy was at the level in japan to as where they don't have to copy the worst shit from pop culture. Seriously, it should sell well enough on name alone by this point. Sorry, that trailer just left me disgusted.

RaijinFY

firex said:
fuck you, square enix! where's my Ogre Battle: In the Lap of the Gods?

Forget it. People that are complaining about the lack of Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story and others, you had to buy them twice at that time!! DEAL... :p

ronito

I think I might have to kick this final fantasy habit, it's just getting rediculous as of late....after FFXII of course...

They're focusing on the "three pillars"

er if one of those pillars is supposed to be KH, they're obviously NOT focusing on it at the moment since they chose to do FFv13 instead of KH3.

I should point out that FF13 will really have nothing to do with you not getting a new Chrono (because that team is busy with FFXI and MMOs), Parasite Eve (because those teams broke up a long time ago and nobody at SE gives a shit about the series anymore), or Vagrant Story (because Matsuno contracted ebola while working on FF12). Other series like SaGa, Front Mission and Seiken/Mana that haven't had those problems have been continuing as usual.

karasu

Fourth Storm said:
I know it sells, but I thought Final Fantasy was at the level in japan to as where they don't have to copy the worst shit from pop culture. Seriously, it should sell well enough on name alone by this point. Sorry, that trailer just left me disgusted.

What are they copying?

Sallokin

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i hope all these spin-offs dont dilute and take away from the main FFXIII itself. this is the first one made with spin-offs in mind, so it kind of worries me

maybe SE is trying to spread their resources to other consoles (wii anybody?) in case nobody takes the plunge to buy a ps3 by the time the game comes out

I was under the impression that each different title has nothing to do with the other. I can totally see your point of view though, I felt that the X-2 spinoff was really unnecessary.

tennin, I have questions for you:

1. What are the Code Age guys doing now?

2. Do you really think it's likely Naora is just doing that mobile game? Do you think he might be art directing Nomura's vsXIII as well? (and if so, why haven't they listed him in the credits yet?) or

3. Do you think he'll be working on another original IP with the Code Age team (presuming they still exist as a unit - unlikely I guess)?

Sorry, I'm really obsessing over this at the moment, but I want some awesome new settings to explore!

JayDubya

Banned
I don't know, if they're going to dilute and exploit something, I'd rather them dilute and exploit something I already don't know much about (and thus have yet to form some sort of emotional attachment to), and to tell me up front that they intend going to do so.

It still seems a bit arrogant to announce sequels to something before the first one even hits, however, given there have been some non-sequel worthy Final Fantasy games released thus far.

Code Age Commanders team = FFCC team, so they're probably working on FFCC for Wii (directed by Itahana) and DS.

Yeah, it's not like they listed the entire staff on those credit pages so Naora might be involved with one of the other Fabula games, or with a new SaGa, Front Mission, etc. I don't know that SE will let him do another Code Age-like project any time soon though, given the low sales of CAC.

Cheers. :) I just checked out KH's credits, and it seems they had an art director of their own - Takayuki Odachi. So I guess he'll be going on to do vsXIII as well. Although, Naora did Advent Children, and that team is also involved in vsXIII, so maybe...

Then there's the question of what the XII team will be doing now (well, what's left of them, anyway). OB revival?

StephaneC

sorry for the up :eek: the Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII logo, it's probably the new FF game.

35editeurs20070323_044404_0_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-france.com/news19697_ff-haeresis-xiii-le-logo.html

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What's the article say?

I don't doubt it, but its the exact some font and logo as the other 3 FF13 games, anyone could make that

madhtr

Is it confirmed that the Japanese part under the logo actually says the same thing as the logo? For the record, the 'Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII' part of the logo is available to anyone that uses TESS: http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm, and it just seems like a simple photoshop job to add the Japanese.

Iunno, I'm just too into conspiracy theories I guess ^^;

icecream

Public Health Threat
SeatBelts said:
FFXIII for 360 has just been confirmed
Assuming it's true, it can very well be another PS3 title, another platform, or a Wii title as well as a 360. And judging from S-E current position, it's probably not the 360.

icecream said:
Assuming it's true, it can very well be another PS3 title, another platform, or a Wii title as well as a 360. And judging from S-E current position, it's probably not the 360.

And the DS. Don't forget Square's primary moneymaker right now.

Top Bottom