• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
no wii love in this thread ? i can`t believe that se would announce an ff13 360 game before one on wii... i mean wii is the next-gen market leader in se biggest market...

they will maybe announce a new ff mmorpg for pc and 360... but don`t think they will get a single-player ff 13 game before ds and wii - the two strongest plattfrom right now(excl. ps2)

TreIII

I'm having a difficult time, as well.

At the least, I'm half-way expecting this title to be a DS title, with possibly some features that may foster "linking" with a future Wii game later. Either that, or it will just continue where Rev Wings left off, and just be another cool SRPG game, set within the same FFXIII-verse.

But in any case, I don't think it really matters that much. If SE is truly intent on whoring out this franchise, pretty much every bit of hardware (besides the NGage) will probably get some time to have some "fun" with the FFXIII name in its own way.

cw_sasuke

TreIII said:
I'm having a difficult time, as well.

At the least, I'm half-way expecting this title to be a DS title, with possibly some features that may foster "linking" with a future Wii game later. Either that, or it will just continue where Rev Wings left off, and just be another cool SRPG game, set within the same FFXIII-verse.

But in any case, I don't think it really matters that much. If SE is truly intent on whoring out this franchise, pretty much every bit of hardware (besides the NGage) will probably get some time to have some "fun" with the FFXIII name in its own way.

Yes, and even if they don`t announce ff1 games for ds,psp and wii now. they are still gonna announce this year reamkes on odler ff games for nintendo plattform. i expect at least one remake on ds and wii :)

Ravidrath

Anyone, like, already really tired of this Latin mid-titling bullshit? The Latin business is just silly and smacks of someone in marketing finding a Latin/Japanese dictionary and thinking it sounded cool.

Also, anyone else that would much rather have six different games than six "Final Fantasy XIIIs"? There's certainly no evidence that this mega-branding business helped Mana sell better, so why do it on your good games that already sell well?

This just seems so forced and marketing-y to me, and I kind of hope it backfires, while still hoping these games turn out well. I'd hate to see them do it with everything from now on because it worked for the first time on the FFXIIIs.

Ravidrath said:
Anyone, like, already really tired of this Latin mid-titling bullshit? The Latin business is just silly and smacks of someone in marketing finding a Latin/Japanese dictionary and thinking it sounded cool.
Welcome_to_japan.jpg

KTallguy

Banned
Kobun Heat said:

:lol

Ravidrath said:
This just seems so forced and marketing-y to me, and I kind of hope it backfires, while still hoping these games turn out well. I'd hate to see them do it with everything from now on because it worked for the first time on the FFXIIIs.

It won't.

Just don't use German.

I don't really get why everyone is saying X360 rather than Wii. Come on, its SE, its FF, its not the main entry....if I had to put my money on one, it would be Wii (or DS). I'd even say PS3 and PSP before X360.

But since this is Square, it has to be a Mobile game!

Manaka

Wait, Square-Enix is throwing out FF XIII-spinoffs left and right and Namco-Bandai still haven't announced a new Tales of... (Fandom 2 doesn't count) ?
Hm...

Krowley

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't really get why everyone is saying X360 rather than Wii. Come on, its SE, its FF, its not the main entry....if I had to put my money on one, it would be Wii (or DS). I'd even say PS3 and PSP before X360.

I also think wii is a likley possibility.

All these sales have to result in more support.

Some of the Crisis Core names are apparently based on Greek, so they seem to already be looking ahead.

Also, anyone else that would much rather have six different games than six "Final Fantasy XIIIs"? There's certainly no evidence that this mega-branding business helped Mana sell better, so why do it on your good games that already sell well?

Square hired a bunch of business gurus from elite consulting firms back in '02 and this is the grand strategy they came up with. The developers have to go along with it, whether they like it or not.

xabre

Banned
I'd love to see the game on 360...then at least I'd get to play it.

If Squeenix think I'm forking over all those PS3 bucks for the game they can go jump.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

One of the few instances where I actually agree with you. That or I'm confusing you with a different poster entirely. If so, I apologizes in advance.

neoxavean

Banned
Tough luck? Not so much. It's likely they'll bring the game over to the 360, since the PS3 is on the bottom of the food chain this generation, having sold 3x less than its closest competitor (Wii).

Majmun

neoxavean said:
Tough luck? Not so much. It's likely they'll bring the game over to the 360, since the PS3 is on the bottom of the food chain this generation, having sold 3x less than its closest competitor (Wii).

Ps3 won't stay $599!!!!!!! forever, you know...

Until FFXIII comes out, the Ps3 will cost much less than that, me thinks.

There will be Ps3 pricecuts before the FFXIII release. So Square doesn't really have to worry about FFXIII sales on Ps3...

Majmun

xabre said:
Believe me, I can live without it.

There are and will be better games on the 360 than FFXIII.

There are already better X360 games than FXIII?

Please explain. :lol

neoxavean said:

Believe me, I can live without it.

There are and will be better games on the 360 than FFXIII.

nah

Majmun

I think it would be smarter for Square Enix to release a FFXIII project for the Ps2 than the Wii...

Both getting a project would be better though.

The Ps2 already has the huge userbase, and White Engine started on the Ps2. So it's a very save haven.

cw_sasuke

they should use an updated ff7:cc engine for an exclusive wii ff13 adventure where u play just one hero with one big-ass sword :D

jimbo

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
no wii love in this thread ? i can`t believe that se would announce an ff13 360 game before one on wii... i mean wii is the next-gen market leader in se biggest market...

they will maybe announce a new ff mmorpg for pc and 360... but don`t think they will get a single-player ff 13 game before ds and wii - the two strongest plattfrom right now(excl. ps2)

That's a funny way of spinning it. But that would imply that Square values Japanese profit more than world-wide profit.

FF is popular world-wide and doesn't sell that much more in Japan than the rest of the world, if any. World-wide, the 360 is the current market leader.

Logic would dictate since the game is already in production, and has been for some time, that it's much easier to release the game on the 360, PS3 and PC, while developing something completely different for the Wii.

Besides, I really don't understand why this is even in question. Didn't Square say they will support ALL systems equally, and they will NOT give one platform something that will give it a great advantage over another?

If they don't put FFXIII on the 360, they'll have to do something equally as great for their statement to be true, and I can't think of anything on the same scale other than DQIX and we all know where that went.

jimbo said:
That's a funny way of spinning it. But that would imply that Square values Japanese profit more than world-wide profit.

FF is popular world-wide and doesn't sell that much more in Japan than the rest of the world, if any. World-wide, the 360 is the current market leader.

Logic would dictate since the game is already in production, and has been for some time, that it's much easier to release the game on the 360, PS3 and PC, while developing something completely different for the Wii.

Besides, I really don't understand why this is even in question. Didn't Square say they will support ALL systems equally, and they will NOT give one platform something that will give it a great advantage over another?

If they don't put FFXIII on the 360, they'll have to do something equally as great for their statement to be true, and I can't think of anything on the same scale other than DQIX and we all know where that went.

Eh, the Wii is doing phenomenally well all over the world. Not just in Japan.

and if you believe the bolded part seriously, well....:lol

Ikael

I really, really do not like the approach that Squarenix is taking with this. The guys cheering these awful business movements are the same guys that greeted the descension of the comic industry into huge, impossible to understand comic sagas and crossovers and that ultimately lead to its decline.

First of all, Squarenix is putting way too many eggs on the same basket with this. Why not get assured first that the original ffXIII is a great, popular game to beging with and then start with the sping offs, once people demands them, a la ffVII? This is selling the bear's fur before killing it.

Second, I really freaking hate the "if you want to understand everything buy everything" attitude that have installed into the Japanese entartainment industry (specially anime). A game with 3 spin offs it is not a story expanded 3 times but rather a story weakened so small portions of it can be sold onto separate products. Sorry, but I didn't bite that with Kingdom Hearts nor I am gonna bite it with this, thank you. I am fed up of insatisfactory endings and huge plotholes that must be solved by payng 50$. I simply cannot see why any RPG lover would be supporting such a thing.

Get your act together, Squarenix. Concentrate on the creation of new IPs that could substain you if your traditional ones fails, make sure your classic sagas keep strong instead of planning 14908 bajillion spin offs, and recover a bit of you experimental spirit during the 90s where you made some awesome non rpg games like Ëinhander or Bushido Blade, please.

xabre

Banned
Second said:
There are already better X360 games than FXIII?

Please explain. :lol

History is my judge :)

Seriously though, while FFXIII may well turn out to be the Citizen Kane of gaming, I happen to fine this possibility to be particularly unlikely. In fact, based on the history of FF games since FFVII, I believe that I will find it inferior to games like Oblivion, Mass Effect and Bioshock. That said, I do expect it to be a worthwhile title, and would certainly buy it should it come to 360.

It just disapoints me that it may well not :(

Second said:
I think it would be smarter for Square Enix to release a FFXIII project for the Ps2 than the Wii...

Both getting a project would be better though.

The Ps2 already has the huge userbase, and White Engine started on the Ps2. So it's a very save haven.

Yeah, but PS2 is slowly getting shifted. It'll always have a huge userbase, but it wont always be current. Perhaps, SE should release a FFXIII game for PS3 later in its lifecycle

We're all getting so worked up over a Final Fantasy spinoff, and hoping it comes to our favorite system, but why? Does SE have a history of GOOD FF spinoffs that I've forgotten about? Or are you all just massive optimists? Or Advent Children fans?

the year 20XX said:
We're all getting so worked up over a Final Fantasy spinoff, and hoping it comes to our favorite system, but why? Does SE have a history of GOOD FF spinoffs that I've forgotten about? Or are you all just massive optimists? Or FF7fans?

Fixed?

the year 20XX said:
We're all getting so worked up over a Final Fantasy spinoff, and hoping it comes to our favorite system, but why? Does SE have a history of GOOD FF spinoffs that I've forgotten about? Or are you all just massive optimists? Or Advent Children fans?

Well, FFXII:RW looks good.

Aside from that, polymorphic content as relating to a mainstream FF game hasn't. (FFX-2(debatable), FFVII:AC, FFVII:DoC).

I think we're just hoping SE has enough in them not to muck it up.

the year 20XX said:
No, I'm sure lots of people like FF7 just fine while still disliking FF7 And Its Shitty Friends. Does liking FF7 mean I have to like Dirge of Cerberus?

Nope. Liking FF7 means just that, "liking FF7". After all, how else can you explain how somebody could love FF7, like FF8, hate FF9, love FFX, literally disown FFXI, and then like FFXII? Love does not pass down from generation to generation.....

jimbo

Banned
chibcicylist said:
Eh, the Wii is doing phenomenally well all over the world. Not just in Japan.

and if you believe the bolded part seriously, well....:lol

He he was talking about market leader. So far nothing's changed. The 360 remains the world wide market leader.

If you count PC+ PS3 + 360 that's a MUCH MUCH larger user base than Wii. And...it won't take as much effort for them to put FF13 on those consoles.

When you look at it like this, coupled with the poor third party sales on Nintendo consoles(Wii continues this it seems) and you have a pretty strong argument for Square NOT to put FF13 on the Wii.

Wii's biggest advantage is also it's greatest disadvantage. While PS3, 360 and PC may be more expensive to develop....it would actually cost a developer MORE money to support the Wii, if they decided to support ALL consoles than if the Wii was in the same ball park with the other consoles.

The only way this would work is if Square decided to make a Wii only game....and FF13 is already, well known, being developed for the PS3.

PS: Why is it so funny to take's Square's word on what Square does? Out of all developers out there I didn't think Square blew a lot of hot air. Last generation, when they didn't want to support the DC or Xbox, they were pretty open about it. Made it clear they didn't want to. So why is that funny?

Evlar

Banned
jimbo said:
He he was talking about market leader. So far nothing's changed. The 360 remains the world wide market leader.

If you count PC+ PS3 + 360 that's a MUCH MUCH larger user base than Wii. And...it won't take as much effort for them to put FF13 on those consoles.

When you look at it like this, coupled with the poor third party sales on Nintendo consoles(Wii continues this it seems) and you have a pretty strong argument for Square NOT to put FF13 on the Wii.

Wii's biggest advantage is also it's greatest disadvantage. While PS3, 360 and PC may be more expensive to develop....it would actually cost a developer MORE money to support the Wii, if they decided to support ALL consoles than if the Wii was in the same ball park with the other consoles.

The only way this would work is if Square decided to make a Wii only game....and FF13 is already, well known, being developed for the PS3.

PS: Why is it so funny to take's Square's word on what Square does? Out of all developers out there I didn't think Square blew a lot of hot air. Last generation, when they didn't want to support the DC or Xbox, they were pretty open about it. Made it clear they didn't want to. So why is that funny?
I like how you toss the PC in there.

Helzown

Am I the only one that wonders if they can't decide on a design for the next FF game? They're probably gonna put out three totally different designs and see which one sells best, FFXIV will be based on that one.

cw_sasuke

jimbo said:

yes, se is really known for their multiplattfrom games......... and good 3rd party games sell well on the wii ...

jimbo

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
yes, se is really known for their multiplattfrom games......... and good 3rd party games sell well on the wii ...

Yes because things are the same as they have been for the past 10 years......

cw_sasuke

jimbo said:
Yes because things are the same as they have been for the past 10 years......

so why shouldn`t the put it on wii ? new gen is on beyatches :D

nelsonroyale said:
well tough luck son

I bet you'll start a petition boycotting SE for thier decision to make FFXIII on the 360.
PS3's euro launch is just one more reason for SE to go multi. And with the white engine being the open platform that it is FFXIII only on PS3 will got he way of the dodo bird. tough luck son

ethelred

Melville said:
How about waiting for official sales numbers before jumping to the conclusion? :)

Are we really expecting it to be radically at odds with the North American and Japanese sales? To such an extent that it can basically carry huge pieces of software as a solitary market?

Top Bottom