• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The After Years IOTI Everyone Returns: Final Fantasy IV NOW IN 3D

Goli

LLJG98O.jpg

Debut Trailer
Launch Trailer
Screenshots:
tZNw2lO.png
df64bsd.png

YDkCxL9.png
DIUnnXf.png

KRN4oJM.png
VBmsQr9.png

From the App Store:
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

App Store description said:
FINAL FANTASY IV: THE AFTER YEARS is available on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch!

With a full 3-D remake, FINAL FANTASY IV: THE AFTER YEARS can now be played as never before. Take part in the epic sequel that unfolds nearly two decades after the events of FINAL FANTASY IV. Classic characters make their return alongside several new heroes, such as Ceodore, son of Cecil and Rosa.

- Ten Playable Tales
Begin your journey with "Ceodore's Tale." Complete it to unlock the tales of six additional characters, which can be played in any order, and then return to the core story with "Kain's Tale," "The Lunarian's Tale," and "The Crystals." A total of ten tales in all, and all contained in FINAL FANTASY IV: THE AFTER YEARS.

- Active Time Battle
Take control of exhilarating combat made possible by the non-stop action in Square Enix's iconic battle system.

- Lunar Phases
Feel the moon's presence in combat, as its waxing and waning influences the potency of attacks and abilities of all combatants. Lunar phases cycle naturally with the passage of in-game time, or when resting at an inn, tent, or cottage.

- Band Abilities
Combine the strength of your party members to awesome effect with Band abilities that can be unlocked through in-game events or by leveling your characters' Affinity.

- Minimap
Keep an eye on your current location and nearby surroundings, or tap for quick access to the world map.

- Game Center Support
Step up to meet all-new challenges offered by dozens of achievements.

- Widescreen Support
Enjoy fullscreen display on iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c.

STORY
Seventeen years have passed since the war's end, and the son born to King Cecil and Queen Rosa of Baron has grown into a young man. Prince Ceodore has enlisted in the airship fleet known as the Red Wings, eager to meet the expectations demanded of his blood and station. Yet once more another moon has appeared in the sky, and with it vast hordes of monsters intent on destruction. The brief peace enjoyed by the Blue Planet now stands threatened under the shadow of impending catastrophe.

Goli

I made a little mistake, the price is actually 15.99 USD. It's 19,99 in New Zealand. Will change ASAP.

Goli

By the way, the game isn't up worldwide yet, but it should be in a few hours, which is why if you click the download link you may get redirected to the Final Fantasy IV page.
It's so strange that SE released it today. They as well as most big iOS developers release their big games on Thursdays.

I wonder if they changed the abysmal drop rates/RNG at all, too.

Trying to get some special items in Rydia's chapter (which required you to grind one room of a dungeon that cuts your magic ability in half, and you have no healers)...several HOURS later, I still didn't get the items. That was around the time I left the game to pursue other titles

looks amazing
i sacrificed FFIV DS version for PSP version , DAT 2D SPRITES !!
now they remade TAY for mobile, if they didn't port it to 3DS in the future i may replaying it again

Aru

I wonder if they changed the abysmal drop rates/RNG at all, too.

If they changed the story from being a complete rehash of FF4, that'd be great. I'm sorry.

While not exactly great, I found the story being the least rehashed element from FFIV... At least there were a few twists here and there keeping it okay, I guess.
And pretty much like FFIV, the game was a breeze outside of a couple of dungeons and the last dungeon.

Disappointing sequel. I would have regret the purchase if it wasn't included in the FFIV CC on PSP. And I'm a big fan of FFIV.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
While not exactly great, I found the story being the least rehashed element from FFIV... At least there were a few twists here and there keeping it okay, I guess.
And pretty much like FFIV, the game was a breeze outside of a couple of dungeons and the last dungeon.

Disappointing sequel. I would have regret the purchase if it wasn't included in the FFIV CC on PSP. And I'm a big fan of FFIV.
I don't think it's a large secret that I dislike FF4 a lot. But I did feel like a lot of themes and some narrative elements were reused to the point of, "Why bother when this was explored in the previous game?"

And the new dungeon design is awful to me. At least FF4's dungeon design, while not the best thing ever, was designed incredibly well in terms of the game's pacing and introducing new elements to the player.

...With that said, though... I don't know why I have two versions of it. :V

Trying to get some special items in Rydia's chapter (which required you to grind one room of a dungeon that cuts your magic ability in half, and you have no healers)...several HOURS later, I still didn't get the items. That was around the time I left the game to pursue other titles
This is why I gave up on the Wii version for a few months before going back to it and not bothering with it at all with the PSP version. I hate how they handled drop rates in this game. It's awful. Poorly-planned.

I really hope they fixed it in this version, because it's honestly the thing that needed fixing the most considering some chapters' objectives.

That's straight-up weird. First Pictologica and now FF4? :O

I can't wait for impressions, I would love to know if they beefed this up like they did from IV Original to IV DS.

Conceptually, I should love a direct sequel to IV.

The original game is just plain bad though.

And the PSP version is bad with RPG Maker sprites.

So here's hoping this version actually comes with decent balancing and better mechanics (like augments, mmm).

Seriously, what they did to Final Fantasy IV DS over the original version was a true craftsman's approach to a remake.

Unless there are some changes to the game itself beyond graphics, I don't know why anyone would chose this version over the PSP release. This graphic style is so awful IMO.

Goli

Square Enix has released a launch trailer for this now that it's a more decent hour in Japan:
http://youtu.be/Q4NEyoaZHHs
English version of the trailer probably coming soon.
The game should already be out in most places by now (iOS version). Not up yet on the US though... Ugh, wanna play already.

This is how it should have been to begin with, on DS.
Here's hoping they release it on 3DS, because I will never play games on a fucking phone.

Roto13

Do you still have to grind for shitty rare drops in Rydia's chapter if you want to have all of your characters in the final chapter?

Goli

Curious how this runs. Hopefully combat is at a better frame rate.

Are they bringing back augments?

From the launch trailer, it seems it's still locked at like 20.

And no augments.

So is this more similar to FFIV in 3D or more like the most recent remake of FFIV (the PSP game)?

This is more like the DS version of FFIV except now it's its sequel.

Do you still have to grind for shitty rare drops in Rydia's chapter if you want to have all of your characters in the final chapter?

We don't know since nobody has posted impressions yet! I would but I haven't bought it because it's still not up in the US iTunes store.

Artorias

Banned
The cringe inducing graphics of the FFIV remake, mixed with the waste of time that is the "sequel"?

Sounds like a recipe for fun.

kinda related..

is it just me or...

i loved FF3 on iPad. i played it for hours and finished it. loved it.
so i immedietly bought 4.. and i hated it. what happened? even the movement sucked..
i keep hearing good things about 4 so what did i do wrong? :(

Cwarrior

Why does it have the same ff4 ds graphics even down to the lack of texture filtering, either this was once a ds game or it's a mod of the ds ff4 game.

jschreier

I never played this sequel.

How long is it? Might pick it up on the PSP though (need muh buttons)
It's terrible. Probably the worst Final Fantasy. Only play it if you're in the mood to revisit the same dungeons 5+ times and watch the plot of the entire FF universe jump the lunar shark.

Is that Kain picture really from after the events of IV?

I always loved the ending scene of him on the moment without his helmet.. I thought it brought a conclusion to his redemption.

Please don't tell me S-E made him an assole again in the mobile sequel.....

Top Bottom