• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The After Years IOTI Everyone Returns: Final Fantasy IV NOW IN 3D

Can this be played without playing Final Fantasy IV?

Yes. But I wouldn't recommend it. Pretty much everything about it assumes that you've played FFIV before , but there's no knowledge from IV that's strictly necessary.

Squeenix should learn that no one buys ANYTHING on mobile devices thats over $1.99...

You should check the download counts on Squares Games. They aren't mobile best sellers or anything but they do pretty darn well, especially considering that around half of them are ports.

cafemomo

It's terrible. Probably the worst Final Fantasy. Only play it if you're in the mood to revisit the same dungeons 5+ times and watch the plot of the entire FF universe jump the lunar shark.

hmmmm.

surely it can't be worst than mystic quest or xiii-2

I enjoyed IV, is this game really that much of a disservice to IV?

Goli

Squeenix should learn that no one buys ANYTHING on mobile devices thats over $1.99...
People do.
Has anyone at square played a persona game in the last 5 years? That UI is horrible.
Square Enix's games usually have some of the best UI's but then come things like these. It's probably because of Matrix's involvement, their UI's are usually more functional than they are pretty.
Is that Kain picture really from after the events of IV?

I always loved the ending scene of him on the moment without his helmet.. I thought it brought a conclusion to his redemption.

Please don't tell me S-E made him an assole again in the mobile sequel.....
They did, but then he becomes good... again.

So I got this, only briefly played Ceodore's chapter, but I like it so far.
The cinematic cutscenes work really well but it's weird how they don't have VA. This was known already but it's still really jarring. The minimal doesn't work like in FFIV where you had to complete each one and you'd get a reward for 100% a map, instead here the maps are already completely filled out, though treasure chests aren't shown in them. Auto-battle now also speeds up battles, unlike FFIV DS where it didn't. The battles get really fast... like FFIVCC auto battle levels of fast. So far the game seems to be about the same difficulty wise but I've also played so little it's probably to early to really say yet.

Did anyone else buy it?

Elvick

Banned
I'm in the minority who despises these 3D remakes.

So ugly. I don't know why they don't also release the FFIV: Complete (PSP) on mobile.

I wouldn't buy it since I don't buy mobile games anymore, but it'd be nice to give consumers options to pick for themselves which they prefer.

Vorg

Banned
They could have added some texture filtering. Looks like an up-rezzed DS game, just like the first game. The first game had the excuse of being exactly that, though.

Goli

They could have added some texture filtering. Looks like an up-rezzed DS game, just like the first game. The first game had the excuse of being exactly that, though.

They were obviously aiming for that look. Personally I think it's actually kind of charming in all of its pixelated low-poly glory.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention was that now each chapter has its own set of available save slots. Ceodore's has three, but, others like the longer ones, have more.
O4lYOzW.png

Oh, and if you have FFIV on your device you get this:
Some screenshots:

Why does it have the same ff4 ds graphics even down to the lack of texture filtering, either this was once a ds game or it's a mod of the ds ff4 game.
Following on in the after years tradition then (original mobile after years used modded FFV/FFVI battle sprites for players* and assests from FFIV and FFI+II GBA).
*-Fun game to play is working out who the originals were.

Which reminds me, I hope they actually try with the monsters this time. Original after years was like areas to be tackled at level 21-30 you fight this set of monsters, level 31-40 you fight this set which lead to monsters being in illogical places and several tales in it became a bit repetitive.

Goli

that text in all of those IOS games look really bad. they can't change that? or do they not realize it?

It's a system font. I haven't updated my iPad yet to iOS 7, but if you do update you get a new font. Using a Jailbroken device should let you change the system's font to whatever you please though. In the Android versions it's the same, but they usually release all their media from the iOS versions.
I've already become used to it, but IMO that font is certainly better than the ones they used for the GBA/DS FFs and the one in FFIVCC.

seems like impressions say its still grindy, and the story is still bad (well duh). might be the first FF game i don't impulse buy on ios and not play lol.

Goli

seems like impressions say its still grindy, and the story is still bad (well duh). might be the first FF game i don't impulse buy on ios and not play lol.

I read the TA review but their reviewers are kind of terrible at RPGs... then again it also seems like there's not many other outlets who've published impressions/reviews or anything.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ack, sorry, didn't see the new thread.

Not sure if I want this. I'll want to know if they changed anything gameplay-wise from the original.

Goli

I still haven't finished Ceodore's chapter since I've had things to do for uni and because I'm also playing Lightning Returns, but I think the game is a little harder? I'm not completely sure but I remember you could just auto-battle in the PSP version and in this one you can't, at least not all the time.
They also seem to have changed how Bands work, since now characters have affinity levels and in order for them to learn a Band they have to have their affinity levels be high enough. before you just had to Band using the correct abilities IIRC.

You want FFVI in 3D? Or just a mobile version?

I dont want them to touch VI at this point

They can do nothing but ruin that masterpiece at this point

I am far more fond of all the FAN MODS for VI that exist that actually shine a spotlight on the games brilliance (the original was actually a buggy mess mechanically and is STILL the best FF)

I'm in the minority who despises these 3D remakes.

So ugly. I don't know why they don't also release the FFIV: Complete (PSP) on mobile.

I wouldn't buy it since I don't buy mobile games anymore, but it'd be nice to give consumers options to pick for themselves which they prefer.

Much prettier game! Agreed 100%

Goli

I FINALLY finished Ceodore's chapter. I think they removed the challenge dungeon? They did this too for FFD. The game is definitely a bit harder than the PSP version so far, I think, so it does feel like a sequel to FFIVDS.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

I gladly buy any iOS game that is playable on my iPad 2 as long as it is a full game with no microtransactions and isn't a half-assed expereince (ie: IB2 or The World Ends With You).

Looks great, though I do wish it took more advantage of the graphical capabilities of the hardware.

Goldrush

I FINALLY finished Ceodore's chapter. I think they removed the challenge dungeon? They did this too for FFD. The game is definitely a bit harder than the PSP version so far, I think, so it does feel like a sequel to FFIVDS.

What? Isn't the Challenge Dungeons half the game?

Top Bottom