• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

M3d10n

If they have the ability to speed the game up why don't they just apply a super speed up during those loading pauses before battle starts to make them instantaneous since they didn't want to go too deep into fixing anything within the game. The game can't possibly be loading anything truly substantial that any modern devices would struggle with during these drawn out loadings that existed in the original. At least you can turn off the camera pan which makes the long loading even more puzzling since they had some sort of solution to cut the pan.

The game was rebuilt using Unity engine (like DQ8), which is infamous for its long loading times.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What device are you playing on?
IPhone 5 is the only thing I had with enough free space, and it runs great.

Magnus

So, $16.99 US/$23.99 CDN *was* the sale price from the beginning? lol

Well, I'm glad I went ahead and impulse bought on Feb 9 then. Sale price right from the start.

It really does run very well for the most part. Hi-res models are a delight. Touch screen controls (just like the other iOS FFs) take some getting used to, but then it clicks and you're fine. Negotiating 3D space with them is a little tougher than it was with FF V and VI iOS (2D), but again, you get used to it pretty quick. And for menus/combat controls, it manages to often work better than the normal version of the game.

It really does suck that you can't flick the speed booster on and off quickly - it's rather cumbersome to pause, hit it, unpause, for each and every battle. And then, it's almost too fast! Oh well.

I really appreciate the extra controls on the recent FF VII PS4 port that let you do it without pausing. Breezy to switch on/off for battles, etc.

Is there a way to turn the damn camera pan on/off for battles, though? Anything at all to get into and out of battles faster?

Falk

that puzzling face
Is there a way to turn the damn camera pan on/off for battles, though? Anything at all to get into and out of battles faster?

Do you have time to hear the good news about our Lord and Savior "Skip Battle Camera"?

Psxphile

No |OT| for best Fantasy? I know it's not out on Steam yet but c'mon GAF, your dislike of the mobile platform shouldn't get in the way of honoring a true classic.

Crisium

So I bought this on android for my LG G3 and now I want to buy a gamepad for my phone to use with this game. Anyone know if this MOGA mobile gamepad works? If not, any recommendations?

I have this Moga and it works on my LG G2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB5R9OY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I turn on the battle 2x speed icon to find that it makes the game go 2x even outside of battle. Are they really gonna make me toggle it on and off after every battle?

This disappoints me. As soon as I turned it on and the NPCs ran like crazy I knew this was a bad idea.

does the 2x speed also effect the time counter, due to that being a stupid thing in the game for that end game content.

It does not affect the timer, so it should make it easier to get Excalibur 2.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I shouldn't have wasted my Play credit on this. I did a fresh install after not being able to progress past the play, and now it locks up before I even get there. Similar deal as before, except now it has halted in a transition between scenes. Once the red and blue jesters or whatever do their thing, the game goes to a black screen and remains there. Music still plays, but it never moves to the next scene.

If anyone else is using an HTC One M9, I'd recommend avoiding this.

Pachimari

Where are the speed and no encounter options? Can't find them.
The pause button at the left top corner in-game. And there are other tweaks in the config menu as well.

I'm doing my first playthrough ever and I just beat this guy!

D5jubs.png

If there's one thing I have learned with years of Final Fantasy, it is to be patient and never give up during tough fights. And I have started to apply that over the last year.

[edit]
Image doesn't work but I beat Black Waltz 2 and is currently fighting no. 3.

Hmm. Impressing 100 nobles was not that hard in this port. Maybe because they don't lull you into the triangle and X trap? Got it on my 3rd try.

Crisium

Hmm. Impressing 100 nobles was not that hard in this port. Maybe because they don't lull you into the triangle and X trap? Got it on my 3rd try.

It was way easier. I wonder if they give you more time to react since we all played in CRT's in 2000 and there's some input lag now.

So decided to see if my Moga Pro worked with this. It picks it up in HID mode and everything works except left analog/dpad. For some reason it thinks the analog is the DPAD and the DPAD doesn't have up and down mapped. ?_?

So basically I can't move around in game at all.

Tevious

Just realized I missed the first mognet Mail. Is that one missable? The very first one from Kupo. If it is, I'll have to start over lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ugh, Square really needs to pick a new font for their iOS ports.
I swear this one is the best they've ever used though. You can tell it's a hi-res version of the exact font from IX, meaning it actually has some character to it. Most Square phone games have the most rote Arial version you've ever seen, I looked up Chrono Trigger today and noticed it was hideous.

They recently did a major upgrade for the FFII iOS port from 2010 for example... So they definitely update them.

They do take a while to address certain things though.

They aren't very consistent though. 2 of the Chaos Rings games haven't worked in 2 versions of Android.

AgeEighty

The "a" looks very different. Not to mention t, g, and half the letters ;p

LwOnelO.png

It's not the same font, but it's spiritually similar. You have the lowercase A with the curl on the top and similar serifs. You've even got the same style of drop shadow. It's fairly nice looking, even beyond the relief over it not being Arial or Helvetica Neue.

JoeNut

tempted to pick up a device to play this on, but don't want to splash on an ipad, what other alternatives are there?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
It's R$66,85 in Brazil. FUCK!!!
Sorry Square, but I won't pay that much.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not the same font, but it's spiritually similar. You have the lowercase A with the curl on the top and similar serifs. You've even got the same style of drop shadow. It's fairly nice looking, even beyond the relief over it not being Arial or Helvetica Neue.

Well, I don't disagree it's a good replacement, but I can't bring myself to say 'it's the same font but in HD'

Serifs are a lot more curled, a is actually a nonstandard height, the g is downright kooky, etc.

Son Of D

I can't seem to find it on the UK Play Store. I search for Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy IX but it's not showing up. Is it iOS only here at the moment?

Top Bottom