• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

TheExodu5

Banned
So since this is apparently the best FF port they've done to date, and I have yet to play through FF IX, I went ahead and bought it.

The controls and interface are quite good. The game seems to run well, with the exception of battles. Battles have a very low framerate for the animations...however the damage numbers and interface are quick and responsive, so this is definitely an issue with the original game and not the port. I remember how terrible battles felt in the PSX version.

People might say that it's a shame that the speed up option doesn't just speed up battles...it speeds up everything. It's not too bad, if you use it properly.

- Use the speed up option when grinding. You can quickly walk back and forth and auto through battles with very little effort.
- Use no encounters when you don't want to grind.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one, despite the slow pace of the game otherwise.

AgeEighty

Well, I don't disagree it's a good replacement, but I can't bring myself to say 'it's the same font but in HD'

Serifs are a lot more curled, a is actually a nonstandard height, the g is downright kooky, etc.

Sure, but some of those choices they made originally had to do with legibility at the lower resolution, and would look weird at higher res. I can't fault them for not doing an exact copy.

heringer

You guys are really weird with fonts. I think it looks great in FFIX, but I didn't have any problem with the other ports so...

AgeEighty

You guys are really weird with fonts. I think it looks great in FFIX, but I didn't have any problem with the other ports so...

It never bothered you in the 2D games to have a hi-res generic system font instead of the old blocky ones? It looked jarringly out of place to me.

I think fonts are important in games that are so text-driven as Final Fantasy I-IX. You spend a lot of time staring at them.

aravuus

Well, got a USB cable for the DS4 and re-bought FF IX, any way to reconfigure the controls? They're all kind of fucked now, L2 is up, d-pad up and down are actually up-left and down-right, left stick input doesn't seem to be analog (can only move up, down, left or right, not diagonally), triangle is confirm, circle is menu etc etc

Crisium

So I forgot to say a minor gripe is a lack of full controller functionality. My Moga can't make my character walk on the overworld - I have to use touch screen. On the overworld the controller works for Menu, camera turning, and moogle calling, however.

Also I can't activate ATE's without touching them.

I have 16 buttons. Squeenix, please.

I would really like to map fast forward to a shoulder button. I don't always want to use it, but when I do it just takes a little too much work and a little too long to toggle. There's also no way to toggle run/walk without going into the menu. This isn't a huge problem, since you really only need to walk for one treasure IIRC, but I don't like the button reduction from the PSX version.

And not really button related, but kind of, I had auto battle on and there's no way to turn it off outside of battle. I was too slow when I got into a fight with the Ragtime Mouse Quiz and Dagger auto attacked the wrong answer. Oops.

Unai

So I forgot to say a minor gripe is a lack of full controller functionality. My Moga can't make my character walk on the overworld - I have to use touch screen. On the overworld the controller works for Menu, camera turning, and moogle calling, however.

Also I can't activate QTE's without touching them.

I have 16 buttons. Squeenix, please.

I would really like to map fast forward to a shoulder button. I don't always want to use it, but when I do it just takes a little too much work and a little too long to toggle. There's also no way to toggle run/walk without going into the menu. This isn't a huge problem, since you really only need to walk for one treasure IIRC, but I don't like the button reduction from the PSX version.

In FFVIII on PC there are keyboard shortcuts. I hope they also put shortcuts in IX.

TheExodu5

Banned
There's an option to automatically master abilities when obtaining gear. Seems like that will just remove annoyance and the need to grind for abilities. Thoughts about activating this?

There's an option to automatically master abilities when obtaining gear. Seems like that will just remove annoyance and the need to grind for abilities. Thoughts about activating this?

I don't consider anything that could be done through normal gameplay, but allows you to bypass the usual grind it would require otherwise, to be a cheat.

artsi

I won't personally activate any cheats just out of principle, I'll play it like I did back then, but if you feel like it's wasted time then why not.

Crisium

I've been using the automatic abilities cheat as way to actually keep the game more challenging, the opposite of a cheat, if you follow my logic.

I don't have to grind for abilities, so no unnecessary over leveling. In fact I can sometimes turn off Random Encounters with the benefit of lowering over leveling. You lose out on gil, item drops, and steal also, which while undesirable at times, also adds to the difficulty to an extent.

Also to up the challenge, I'm using older equipment. With the automatic abilities I don't need to equip gear to learn abilities. I'm currently using the lowest level gear possible for each character, and I plan to stay quite a bit behind throughout the game even if I gradually move up in gear. This makes enemies more threatening, especially combined with a slightly lower level from sometimes running No Random Encounters.

Caffeine

Those hacks at Squeenix are going to release it on the 21st or 22nd, mark my words.

lol maybe they just release anytime during the week they feel like it lol

ff3 may 27th tuesday
ff4 sept 17th wednesday
After years may 11th monday
ffV Sept 24th thursday
ff6 dec 16th wednesday
ff13 oct 9th thursday
13-2 dec 11th thursday
LR dec 10th thursday
type 0 august 18th tuesday

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Probably a bug if I had to guess, it did literally just launch hours ago.

i like how in 2016 this is a valid excuse .. hey the game just launched . it's supposed to be buggy.

as far as i know all MFI certified controllers are supported. end of story .
but the game only got 3 stars in my app store well deserved. launch games finished ..

KtSlime

i like how in 2016 this is a valid excuse .. hey the game just launched . it's supposed to be buggy.

as far as i know all MFI certified controllers are supported. end of story .
but the game only got 3 stars in my app store well deserved. launch games finished ..

They have to make the game work on a hundred different phones with just as many different controllers. Software with bugs will always exist, especially with something this complex, they are reviving 15 year old software, probably none of the people working on it were on the original team.

It sucks, something not working right, but I consider us lucky we live in an era we can get updates and bug fixes.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why is no one talking about the best feature in the game, The Continue option.
I actually stopped saving at moogles, the continue option has been so reliable. I wonder if that'll be a problem for me.

hollomat

Banned
This looks incredible. I was actually playing it through an emulator on my android phone last year, but the difference between that and this is night and day.

They really did a lot of work to this to make it work and look better on mobile and it shows. This'll be the third time I've attempted to play FFIX, but I always peter out around disc 3. Hopefully thisll be the time I finish it.

Edit: Lots of people have mentioned there's a way to skip combat intros. How do I do this? My one complaint is they really don't do a good tutorial on stuff like this and the boosters.

Double Edit: Found it, It's in menu.

Razmos

The game still isn't working, tried sending an email asking for support and all I got was an automatic message directing me to their website FAQ.

What a joke, there are a lot of other people having this problem as well.

Umibozu

Working beautifully on my note 5, was a little worried that I'd have issues like some others.
Started playing the card game have ended up playing for 4 and a half hours over the last couple of days. I'm still in the beginning, lol.

Datrio

It's clear this isn't old source code compiled for current platforms, but a straight up port. I encountered a bug in Tetra Master which is not on the PSX version - when you lose a card to an opponent, even if you win it back from them, they will still have it. So you can lose some unique card and then just farm it from that NPC.

Mivey

It's clear this isn't old source code compiled for current platforms, but a straight up port.
You meant to say "It's clear this isn't emulated, but rather compiled and rebuilt for the current platforms". No need to thank me, just edit your post to make it less confusing.

Datrio

You meant to say "It's clear this isn't emulated, but rather compiled and rebuilt for the current platforms". No need to thank me, just edit your post to make it less confusing.
Rebuilt yes, but I don't think the old source code was used, only the assets. If that would be the case, I can imagine that such a bug wouldn't be introduced (of course I might be wrong, someone should datamine the source files and check what's inside).

Byvar

Rebuilt yes, but I don't think the old source code was used, only the assets. If that would be the case, I can imagine that such a bug wouldn't be introduced (of course I might be wrong, someone should datamine the source files and check what's inside).
You're right. The game was rebuilt using Unity, so the source code here is in C#. If the old source code wasn't lost already, it definitely wasn't used in the iOS/Android versions of the game.

jax

Banned
I'm going to cry. Still no update to add any controller support? Do they really expect me to impress the Queen with touchscreen buttons

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i checked out the boosters online but curious before i bite:

Full meters - Maximize in-combat resources

what exactly does that mean in-game?

I'm going to cry. Still no update to add any controller support? Do they really expect me to impress the Queen with touchscreen buttons

I did it on maybe my 6th or 7th try, and it was almost impossible for me on the PS1. The inputs are easy enough and the timing is a lot more forgiving now.

Basically, if you can't do it on this port, you'll never be able to do it.

aravuus

- Full HP/MP
- Full Trance

Oh, it's HP/MP and trance too? Shame, I thought it was just ATB. I was thinking of trying a playthrough with random encounters off and that cheat on. See if I can manage to beat all bosses with a very low-level but super-hasted characters.

I like the fact that they added boosters, I just wish they were more customizable.

So not only does the "Master Abilities" option allow you to immediately learn new abilities from equipping items, but Quina knows ALL of his/her Blue Mage moves as soon as you get him/her...not sure how I feel about that.

This also allows you to easily defeat Grand Dragons in the area above Gizmaluke's Grotto using the LVL 5 Death spell, which will over-level your characters something fierce. I actually have no problem doing this since all it does it bypass pointless grinding.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
About three hours in, and it feels more like a VN than an RPG so far. Ain't complaining, since it's a fun ride so far, just can't remember the last battle I've had that wasn't a black waltz.

Mendrox

So not only does the "Master Abilities" option allow you to immediately learn new abilities from equipping items, but Quina knows ALL of his/her Blue Mage moves as soon as you get him/her...not sure how I feel about that.

This also allows you to easily defeat Grand Dragons in the area above Gizmaluke's Grotto using the LVL 5 Death spell, which will over-level your characters something fierce. I actually have no problem doing this since all it does it bypass pointless grinding.

But... Final Fantasy 9 is not a game where you should grind, but rather keep levels low. The stat bonuses for the characters are very high if they level up and wear the correct equipment. :p But not many people care, but it makes a big difference for many characters.

aravuus

But... Final Fantasy 9 is not a game where you should grind, but rather keep levels low. The stat bonuses for the characters are very high if they level up and wear the correct equipment. :p But not many people care, but it makes a big difference for many characters.

What the fuck?! You get stat bonuses on level up according to the equipment you're wearing?!

Robin64

http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff9stats/

Guide to stat bonuses from gear on level up.

Perfecting stats in FF9 is no trivial matter. The only way to permanently increase your characters' stats is by leveling up while wearing stat-boosting equipment. Since the total number of level-ups a character can get is limited, the extent to which you can increase their stats is also limited. For example, even though Strength and Magic can theoretically grow to 99, it's not possible to reach those values in normal gameplay no matter how much effort you put into it. The key to getting the best stats is to equip your characters with carefully calculated sets of stat-boosting equipment when they level up.

http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff9stats/

Guide to stat bonuses from gear on level up.

Most of the best stat-boosting gear only becomes available very late in the game, so you must save as many level-ups as possible until then in order to take full advantage of them. No character should absorb any experience points before you can obtain all the necessary equipment, unless there's no way to avoid it.

There are only three places where you're forced to absorb experience points. The first is in Evil Forest, after defeating Plant Brain. You must avoid gaining levels in the forced battle against Plant Spiders by making sure only two of them are in the enemy party, and their experience is divided among all four of your party members for 11 Exp each. The second place is in Disc 3 in Alexandria. That's your last chance to defeat Tantarian and receive 12585 Exp if you choose to do so. Finally, three consecutive forced battles in Pandemonium will give you 26376 Exp a piece.

Which character absorbs the experience from each forced battle is a decision you'll need to make for your stat path. Section 4 of this guide will help with this by showing you how much each character stands to lose if they take on the forced experience, and by suggesting ways to minimize the total loss.
Nah fuck that
sadcam.png

Robin64

"Fuck that" is my philosophy too. I did everything but the Excalibur run on PS1 and didn't need to mess with stats in this way.

Son Of D

I always disliked that idea of certain equipment affecting your stats. If you want the best stats you're forced to essentially do a level 1 run. And as someone who has done a level 1 FFIX run up until Pandemonium (even defeating Ozma with a team not recommended by guides) I wouldn't wish that upon anybody.

Not to mention that it's impossible to have all characters with their best stats because the characters who get the experience at Pandemonium won't have the equipment you need for the best stat increases. So there will be at least three characters who aren't the best they could be.

Falk

that puzzling face
This kinda feels like getting 9999 HP in FFIII DS/mobile/Steam, but worse.

And similarly, you don't even need 9k HP to beat Iron Giant.

Top Bottom