• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

Mendrox

This kinda feels like getting 9999 HP in FFIII DS/mobile/Steam, but worse.

And similarly, you don't even need 9k HP to beat Iron Giant.

It's a fun way to play the game again. :) But I wouldn't recommend it for impatient people, because for some fights you need more than 100 tries to get through them.

Holy shit, I never knew any of this

... But yeah, seems like a pain in the ass. Gets a "fuck that" from me, too. Min-maxing is never fun.

Seriously though, how the hell did I never know this. Does the game actually mention stat boosts from gear at any point?

Kinda? it shows you the normal stat bonuses - which are you level bonuses, but people don't know the connection :p

Skulldead

Nah fuck that
sadcam.png

Yeah ! Way to over complex for no reason... the game is not that hard either so don't really need to follow this...

Yeah ! Way to over complex for no reason... the game is not that hard either so don't really need to follow this...

Yeah, I never even knew this was a thing. I've played the game plenty of times without issue. Same with FF6 back in the day, where only careful manipulation of esper bonuses could get you the best stats, but it was totally unnecessary.

I wonder why they put mechanics like that into games where it's already pretty easy to finish everything.

Which one of the Tantalus members is the glitched one who boosts Eiko's stats again? It basically starts her off with super-high growth stats (she inherits his without inheriting his levels) so she'll have around 9000HP at her own level 99, among other things (pretty decent physical attack too and max magic stones).

I wonder if you can use the LV99 booster on just him specifically (and if that glitch is still in the game.

Which one of the Tantalus members is the glitched one who boosts Eiko's stats again? It basically starts her off with super-high growth stats (she inherits his without inheriting his levels) so she'll have around 9000HP at her own level 99, among other things (pretty decent physical attack too and max magic stones).

I wonder if you can use the LV99 booster on just him specifically (and if that glitch is still in the game.

Marcus. He joins you in Treno and Gargan Roo. Not sure if the booster works on him/Eiko.

GenoScreams

Neo Member
Would you guys consider this the definitive version?

I don't own this version yet, but I did a level 1 run on my last (ps1) play through for perfect stats. The most frustrating part was definitely trying to avoid random encounters, so I imagine it will be a helluva lot more manageable in this version. I may even finally attempt a perfect level 1 Excalibur II run once this comes out on PC or PS4.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just bought the game. I think the graphics are really good but the controls and screen transactions are really bad.
I was hoping for FF7 fast.

Magnus

I don't understand how you can stay at level 1 and progress through this game, or almost any other RPG. Don't monsters just start to one-shot you before too long?

Byvar

Is the stealing as tedious as it used to be? 100% stealing success is the only booster I want.
God, this. Boss battles were just an endless repetition of "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". The game is quite likely my favorite game of all time, but this nearly drove me insane. Apart from 2x/3x speed, this would also be the only booster I'd use.

I don't understand how you can stay at level 1 and progress through this game, or almost any other RPG. Don't monsters just start to one-shot you before too long?

Nope. I don't remember the mechanics of this game much but there are things you can abuse to kill monsters before they hit you. Plus, you have 4 party members so one dying isn't all that bad as long as it isn't Steiner. i know in FF8, you can beat the game at the minimal levels but the junction system was broken so idk how much that amounts to anything lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nope. I don't remember the mechanics of this game much but there are things you can abuse to kill monsters before they hit you. Plus, you have 4 party members so one dying isn't all that bad as long as it isn't Steiner. i know in FF8, you can beat the game at the minimal levels but the junction system was broken so idk how much that amounts to anything lol.

FF8 also scaled enemies to your level, which puts it on a different class.

FFVIII was literally easier if you didn't level and only grind AP with Card thanks to scaling. Low level + fully junctioned = cake walk.

Samemind

The last time I checked, the FF9 speedrun up on SDA (yes, really) was completed with only 3 random encounters in the entire run. All which were escaped from right away. So, it's definitely doable.

Havok1313

God, this. Boss battles were just an endless repetition of "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". "Steal". "Couldn't steal anything". The game is quite likely my favorite game of all time, but this nearly drove me insane. Apart from 2x/3x speed, this would also be the only booster I'd use.

Trying to steal all 4 items during the Ozma fight was great. -_-

I remember spending 2 hours trying to steal from Hill Gigas. I think I actually ran out of Potions and Ethers. It was for a Fairy Flute I think? Something that you can by half an hour later?

aett

I remember spending 2 hours trying to steal from Hill Gigas. I think I actually ran out of Potions and Ethers. It was for a Fairy Flute I think? Something that you can by half an hour later?

At least as far as mandatory story battles go, that has to be the single worst in terms of steal percentage rates. I've played the game several times and each time I end up having to spend so much goddamn time there.

I think the other really terrible one is a bit earlier, when you've got
Marcus
in your party and you're facing
the injured Black Waltz.

At least as far as mandatory story battles go, that has to be the single worst in terms of steal percentage rates. I've played the game several times and each time I end up having to spend so much goddamn time there.

I think the other really terrible one is a bit earlier, when you've got
Marcus
in your party and you're facing
the injured Black Waltz.

I've actually had some good luck so far on this playthrough: managed to steal the Flame Staff from the spoiler and the Gold Helm from the Antlion with minimal pain. I've never been able to steal the Flute though.

Holy shit, I never knew any of this

... But yeah, seems like a pain in the ass. Gets a "fuck that" from me, too. Min-maxing is never fun.

Seriously though, how the hell did I never know this. Does the game actually mention stat boosts from gear at any point?

Nope. I beat the game so many times without knowing this was a thing. It's kind of a crazy system too, like when you have Marcus in your party his stat gains count towards Eiko later on.

Izayoi

Banned
Brilliant port now that I got it working.

I know it's cheating, but on my next go-round I think I'm going to use the speed and no random encounter options to go for a perfect Lvl 1 Excalibur II run.

I started one way back-when and never finished, and I'm set on doing it this time. My biggest issue last time was definitely the unforgivable RNG... This will make things a lot less tedious, I hope.

My current run I'm just loafing around and enjoying my time with the game. Tons of fun, and it remains my favorite FF by a wide margin.

Lucario

Game's a blast, but I've been running into some really obnoxious bugs.

Most recently, Vivi's passive abilities decided to stop working entirely. Game shows him as having 2/34 AP left despite having no abilities equipped. All abilities are greyed out and nothing can be equipped, making him completely useless in combat.

http://i.imgur.com/y4kzCL9.jpg

I tried the "AP Max" cheat to see what would happen, and it still shows him as having 32AP unaccounted for.

http://i.imgur.com/6NFKD3L.jpg

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? I'd just roll back, but it's also glitched out in my backup save...

I downloaded the game for my Wiko. I am not very familiar with android games (it's only the 5th game I purchase) but...how can they let this happen : The game has constant "freeze" moments, 15 seconds loading time every time there is a screen transition, the backgrounds don't even load during fights...it looks like bad emulation. And I cannot refund my purchase anymore.
Normaly only games that work on my phone seem to appear on the store. But I can hardly qualify this game as "playable" on my phone...

Syntsui

I downloaded the game for my Wiko. I am not very familiar with android games (it's only the 5th game I purchase) but...how can they let this happen : The game has constant "freeze" moments, 15 seconds loading time every time there is a screen transition, the backgrounds don't even load during fights...it looks like bad emulation. And I cannot refund my purchase anymore.
Normaly only games that work on my phone seem to appear on the store. But I can hardly qualify this game as "playable" on my phone...
I think your cellphone can't handle the game. You should cancel the purchase with you credit card company, just call them and cancel it.

Lucario

So apparently Vivi got ruined on my save due to a glitch with Reflect x2. If you equip it and save the game, your character will have all of their abilities unequipped, and they will permanently lose access to the "magic stones" used to equip the abilities.

Bolling for emphasis: If you save the game while a character has Reflect x2 equipped, you will no longer be able to equip abilities to that character.

This better be fixed immediately. Paying $17 for a ps1 port only to have my save ruined by this shit does not feel good.

Widge

About three hours in, and it feels more like a VN than an RPG so far. Ain't complaining, since it's a fun ride so far, just can't remember the last battle I've had that wasn't a black waltz.

Incredibly plot heavy to start with, unusually so, but it does even out into some great set pieces.

RanoNL

How good are the touch controls? In Chrono Trigger were shitty as hell.
I have zero troubles controlling a slow paced RPG like Final Fantasy IX on my phone/tablet. They added a Diablo style point-and-click system als well. Works great if the area is big or has stairs.

heringer

Really enjoying this. I might actually finally finish this game. I've dropped this two times around the end of disc 2. Maybe third time is the charm?

I love this port. So many quality of life improvements. What I love the most:

1. Battle intro removal: game changer. It only cuts around 5 seconds from the loading, but it's makes a big difference. Too bad it's still there for bosses.
2. Portable play perfected. Auto save. Every. Single. Screen. This is awesome. I can pick the game for 15 minutes and not worry about losing progress. Killed by a Boss? Just hit continue and fight again.
3. Improved character models
4. Fast forward and auto battle. Perfect for grinding.
5. Interface. Touch controls are great. I might be in the minority, but I LOVE touch based interfaces for RPG's. It's quick, it's intuitive and it just works.

The game itself is pretty good, though it's probably my least favorite of the PS1 era FF. The atmosphere is not my cup of tea and Zidane is kind of a disappointment so far. He is promising at the beginning, but later he just suddenly goes from witty womanizer into "I don't give a shit about anyone else, GOTTA PROTECT DAGGER!" for no good reason at all. Oh wait, there's a reason. She's... pretty, I guess? For all the hate Squall gets, he's at least consistent.

Vivi is awesome though. Steiner is also great, so there's that.

ctothej

I love this port. So many quality of life improvements. What I love the most:

1. Battle intro removal: game changer. It only cuts around 5 seconds from the loading, but it's makes a big difference. Too bad it's still there for bosses.

Wait, you can turn off the battle intro?

Cronen

I know some folks on GAF were speculating a 22nd Feb release for Steam...we'll soon find out!

Really can't wait to re-visit this game. I haven't played it since release!

So...what is up with the Steam version? They announced Mobile / PC at the same time, it's been 3 weeks already, are they really gonna wait a month? I mean whats the point, the game has buzz now, people have money, why wait?

Kazer

So...what is up with the Steam version? They announced Mobile / PC at the same time, it's been 3 weeks already, are they really gonna wait a month? I mean whats the point, the game has buzz now, people have money, why wait?

Maybe some last minute testing? People have been playing it today and yesterday according to SteamDB and the last update was about 7 hours ago.

Top Bottom