• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX PC/Mobile |OT| How did the source code survive?

Magnus

Are 100% refunds a thing on Steam in Canada?

I'm really curious to try it but the control scheme issues (no analog + the need to actually pause to use boosts instead of having them mapped like with FF7 PS4) may keep me from endorsing this final product.

OmegaDL50

Another Unity related crash

This is the 4th one I had already.

noAWRuT.jpg

This only happens with some games not playing nice with some antivirus software. I don't feel it necessary to uninstall my antivirus software because the porting company didn't compile their runtime properly in Unity which causes these errors.

For reference I've played other Unity based games like Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity and never ran into this issue so this is something that can be fixed.

As you can see it's a common error http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/25719/getthreadcontext-failed.html
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...82-getthreadcontextfailed-error.172759/page-3

But common enough to the point that uninstalling security software on my PC? I don't feel that is necessary, hopefully this is fixed.

Byvar

When you say the UI stuff is out of your league, is it a code thing or an art asset thing? Or something completely different?
It's a code thing. Modifying the battle FPS as well as changing the booster speed is just changing one byte, but for UI stuff I'd need to insert extra calls to set the UI size correctly (or finding the right UI asset amidst millions of unnamed files). Luckily, I have just managed to insert code... but adjusting the UI size still seems more complicated than I was hoping for :p

How the hell did you get a Moonstone? I just did it and got 10,000 gil. It took me a while because of the button prompts being for Xbox, but I did it. Yeah, they had to change up this mini game. All the times I played this game I make sure that I never missed one button and I just get up to 99 nobles at the most and figured it's probably impossible to get 100, but then I do it this time and for some reason it works? Okay then.

Just beat that and now ready to kidnap Garnet.
DrH3WoX.jpg

Talk to Brahne after you get Steiner and are searching for the Knights of Pluto and she will give you the moonstone because she is "feeling generous."

Not sure if it is related to the fight scene or not and her being impressed, can't remember.

And yea the Xbox prompts are confusing, I'm just lucky I've gotten used to them since using DS4Windows for so long on other games.

The only thing that is hard now is swapping my brain between SNES and new Nintendo/Xbox layout..... because they are the reverse of each other lol :D

Getting 100 nobles is much easier in this version, timing is much more lenient from what I can tell, I think that's for the 10,000 gil?

Impressing Brahne I believe is tied to not missing any prompts.
Are 100% refunds a thing on Steam in Canada?

I'm really curious to try it but the control scheme issues (no analog + the need to actually pause to use boosts instead of having them mapped like with FF7 PS4) may keep me from endorsing this final product.
I believe you can refund. I think it is a universal policy.

Just as long as your gameplay time is under 2 hours. Send a support ticket requesting a refund.

I'm probably late on this but is anyone working on mods for the backgrounds or even to make the UI smaller for higher resolutions?

So is this a quality port or not? I've been busy so I haven't kept up.

It has several issues that probably will not be resolved soon, if ever. Most of them are listed on the last few pages.

But even in spite of those issues, it's a pretty solid port and I'd call it a good version of the game.

In some ways it does improve on the original as well, mainly with no model warbling, excellent FMV quality, and greatly improved textures and detailing on the main characters.

I'm probably late on this but is anyone working on mods for the backgrounds or even to make the UI smaller for higher resolutions?

I'm hoping for that too, UI is way too large in battle scenes. It's good to have a larger one, especially for less-abled persons which mouse click works very well for this though.

But having a smaller one like the classic version as an option would be really nice too. Haven't seen anything yet though.

Talk to Brahne after you get Steiner and are searching for the Knights of Pluto and she will give you the moonstone because she is "feeling generous."

Not sure if it is related to the fight scene or not and her being impressed, can't remember.

Getting 100 nobles is much easier in this version, timing is much more lenient from what I can tell, I think that's for the 10,000 gil?

I managed to get the 10k gil and Moonstone with 100 nobles, but an unimpressed Brahne. Missed one prompt I think.

The controller mod has been updated

The notes do state 16 direction analog for xinput

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665953495

Again it doesn't actually say it fixes anything on the game engine side, rather on the Xinput side.

The issue is not Xinput here. It is the tilt-sensitivity and actual analog movement of the character, not the accepting of analog input from the controller.
Because of the way XINPUT works, there's not much configuration needed. Included within the 'Plugin' folder inside of x86 or x64, there is a program called FF9_Controller.exe. This program allows you to test your controller's buttons (it's mapped as an XBOX 360 controller, as Square decided to go with the default mappings for that controller). You can also test the vibration, and an extra feature, improved deadzone accuracy, which allows proper PSX style walking (i.e if you pull of the stick a little, zidane will walk slower etc)
OK apparently it *does* say that. Skeptical, but will try it.

Caffeine

Another Unity related crash

This is the 4th one I had already.

noAWRuT.jpg

This only happens with some games not playing nice with some antivirus software. I don't feel it necessary to uninstall my antivirus software because the porting company didn't compile their runtime properly in Unity which causes these errors.

For reference I've played other Unity based games like Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity and never ran into this issue so this is something that can be fixed.

As you can see it's a common error http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/25719/getthreadcontext-failed.html
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...82-getthreadcontextfailed-error.172759/page-3

But common enough to the point that uninstalling security software on my PC? I don't feel that is necessary, hopefully this is fixed.

why dont u just whitelist the entire ff9 steam folder in ur antivirus ?

And yea the Xbox prompts are confusing, I'm just lucky I've gotten used to them since using DS4Windows for so long on other games.

The only thing that is hard now is swapping my brain between SNES and new Nintendo/Xbox layout..... because they are the reverse of each other lol :D

I believe you can refund. I think it is a universal policy.

Just as long as your gameplay time is under 2 hours. Send a support ticket requesting a refund.

I managed to get the 10k gil and Moonstone with 100 nobles, but an unimpressed Brahne. Missed one prompt I think.

Was it even possible to get 100 nobles on the PS1 and PSN version? I played those about 12 times and never achieved it, yet I do it on this and I get it, and this was the worst I ever did on it because the Xbox buttons confused me.

Was it even possible to get 100 nobles on the PS1 and PSN version? I played those about 12 times and never achieved it, yet I do it on this and I get it, and this was the worst I ever did on it because the Xbox buttons confused me.

I never got it on the PS1 version, maybe I got like 91 or 92 max.

I never got the 10,000 gil on PS1 either. Not sure if it was possible or not lol.

I never did on PS1. Even now, because of the xbox button prompts, I had to do it about 6 times because X kept throwing me off.

Definitely possible. I would always replay the battle until I got to 100. Getting 99 was a bitch.

Again it doesn't actually say it fixes anything on the game engine side, rather on the Xinput side.

The issue is not Xinput here. It is the tilt-sensitivity and actual analog movement of the character, not the accepting of analog input from the controller.
OK apparently it *does* say that. Skeptical, but will try it.

Doesn't work again.

Maybe it is planned for later to get it to work eventually, but it's still only 8 degrees of movement and the "checked" emulate PSX analog control thing doesn't do anything, at least from what I tested.

So during the Festival of the Hunt, I toggled on max damage to hand Freya a quick win, but despite hitting it about 5 times for 9999, then monster was still alive and well. Does it have to be active before battle or something to work properly?

anyone tested this? really fix the problem with 8 directions?

Doesn't work and never will if he keeps trying the same solution. The way this modder keeps lying makes me very mistrustful of them.

After some brief investigation, I discovered that the author of this mod is the same man who tried to con people into buying his Mystic Quest Remake, which was not an authorized Square Enix product, nor did this "modder" ever provide his customers installation keys for the fake game they purchased. Do not trust this man's software.

atbigelow

Doesn't work and never will if he keeps trying the same solution. The way this modder keeps lying makes me very mistrustful of them.

After some brief investigation, I discovered that the author of this mod is the same man who tried to con people into buying his Mystic Quest Remake, which was not an authorized Square Enix product, nor did this "modder" ever provide his customers installation keys for the fake game they purchased. Do not trust this man's software.

Good work, Detective Jude. What a crock that thing was; and it sounds like this mod is about the same.

Hi guys I am facing this problem,has anyone encoutered it?Could you please provide some help?Thank you for your time
4r8Ix5Rl.png

Try rechecking the install in Steam (verify integrity of game), seems like some files might be corrupted. Haven't seen this myself.

It's pretty early since release so hopefully we get some patches too.

That's really fucked up.

Not installing any of his crap again.

I sensed something was wrong, he is basically advertising something in his little FAQ that the mod clearly does not fix.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Does this game have an autosave or something? restarted a save before a boss fight to change abilities, and the save now takes me right to the boss fight cut scene.

-MD-

I have 'wait' enabled but enemies continue to take turns if I don't do anything, is it broken?

Does this game have an autosave or something? restarted a save before a boss fight to change abilities, and the save now takes me right to the boss fight cut scene.

Seems to be, I hadn't saved in like an hour and died on a boss, when I clicked 'continue' it put me right where I died.

Meowster

The Vamo' alla Flamenco segment is so much harder on these input mappings I'm not used to compared to the ease of the memorized Playstation controller. It took me forever to finally get 100 and without missing a single one. The amount of 99s or 100s with Queen Brahne unpleased..

Love this game my favorite FF game was so happy to get it on Steam beat it early this morning got 53 hours in it already and 50/85 achievements probably won't 100% achievement the game but boy is the game as fun as it always has been.

jrush64

Banned
Just got to Lindblum... that music... that scene on the ship with Vivi... This game is just sooooo good. My favorite game of all time.

DarkKyo

This is the FF where if you don't find a certain item very early on you miss the only chance at getting someone's ultimate weapon, correct?

Is there only one instance like that in the game? If so, where in the story should I not continue past before I find said item?

Fou-Lu

My roommate can't get a controller to work with the game at all. Was really hoping I could finally get him to play FF9.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's a code thing. Modifying the battle FPS as well as changing the booster speed is just changing one byte, but for UI stuff I'd need to insert extra calls to set the UI size correctly (or finding the right UI asset amidst millions of unnamed files). Luckily, I have just managed to insert code... but adjusting the UI size still seems more complicated than I was hoping for :p

Hopefully you or someone else manages to fix it, SE's mobile UIs on PC is my single biggest gripe with all the ports. There is just no excuse for the battle UI to take up 1/3 of my 24" monitor or my 42" TV.

This is the FF where if you don't find a certain item very early on you miss the only chance at getting someone's ultimate weapon, correct?

Is there only one instance like that in the game? If so, where in the story should I not continue past before I find said item?

I...don't recall there being something like that at all in this game. The closest thing would be not having enough of an item to craft things, but that's only an issue on Disc 4

Nairume

Banned

You have to get to a specific room in the final dungeon in under 12 hours to get Steiner's ultimate weapon. Otherwise, everybody else's ultimate weapons are obtainable through normal sidequests or exploration.

Top Bottom