• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Psychostar

I have habit doing EVERY side quests before moving on to the main story and so far the side quests have been pretty good.
Same here :) . North Corel has been my only exception as after completing the side mission available, none of them seemed to push me to explore the rest of that desert area before GS so I chose to move there for a bit of fun and games. I get the feeling that I will be pushed back to that section again after GS anyway before closing off the chapter so I'm not too worried about appeasing Chadley right now lol.

Bkdk

This game is a big roller coaster in terms of fun factor, when it's fun it's damn fun, combat, exploration, character moves, interaction is top notch, mini games are super mixes, putting some boring and extremely frustrating mini games with bad controls and still require you to go through it for a few times to progress through a story is not good, there are also quite a lot of moment where you are forced to just slow walk through some of the quests, both main and side, makes you just wanna throw controller to the tv screen. Hopefully PC version out soon as the issues seems to be very doable with even simple mods, and I seriously hope the pc version of the 3rd part would be released simultaneously with console version. A simple trainer would allow me to soften a lot of the very frustrating moment of this game.

Psychostar

This game is a big roller coaster in terms of fun factor, when it's fun it's damn fun, combat, exploration, character moves, interaction is top notch, mini games are super mixes, putting some boring and extremely frustrating mini games with bad controls and still require you to go through it for a few times to progress through a story is not good, there are also quite a lot of moment where you are forced to just slow walk through some of the quests, both main and side, makes you just wanna throw controller to the tv screen. Hopefully PC version out soon as the issues seems to be very doable with even simple mods, and I seriously hope the pc version of the 3rd part would be released simultaneously with console version. A simple trainer would allow me to soften a lot of the very frustrating moment of this game.
I just got to GS and so far haven't felt the same sentiments, so I am guessing you are talking about later areas? The only section that bothered me was the tutorial section with Sephiroth and Tifa where I felt the forced walking was unbearably so , but fortunately the rest of the game has not played out like that section ( at least, if it has I haven't noticed so it must have been implemented well).

As for the minigames, yeah some can be tough but I have managed to 100% everything so far. I did look up a guide for Fort condor as I couldn't do the last 2 on my own - I hate tower defense games and I was really worried that I wouldn't get the protorelic. I do think they slipped up putting one of those behind this minigame as it's not for everyone. I totally skipped the hard-mode variant after obtaining the protorelic as I don't think there is a trophy tied to doing the hard mode Fort Condor battles).

Surprisingly, I found the sit-ups to be much easier to win than the pullups in remake (Sidenote: Really loved Tifa's jiggle physics. They are great for timing :p *cough*). They kept things fair as the pattern is either clockwise or counter clockwise which is easy to adjust to, and if one doesn't work for your brain you just hit restart and get the one you do like fairly easily. Admittedly what made sit-ups easy for me was turning off the haptics, and the same applied for the gun game in costa del sol.

Toots

Gold Member
Finished chapter 8 and the good more than outweight the bad in every aspect of the game.
Graphically, gameplay and storywise.
Of course there are bad textures, bad pop in, etc. but dare to call this game ugly, there's a sense of scale, of intricacy that makes it gorgeous.
Of course there's bad gameplay element, and if you don't get the mechanics of each gameplay systems you might have a bad time, but as soon as it clicks you start having lots of fun.
Of course there's changes in story beats that makes them worse (or better depending on your sensibilities), but you can feel every changes made are coming from love and respect for the OG story.

Toots

Gold Member
Security Officer (best opener without question) or Crystalline Crab.
Security officer is good at first but you're gonna get better opener cards that can buff your others cards. Best opener for me is weird nosed goblin you put on the top left square, it gives you 2 knobs on the bottom left square, on which you put your moogle summoner who gives you a knob on the middle square and two others moogle cards when played. Never lost a game using this one.
The drake you can put on a one knob square which deals 3 damage on the facing card is so good also, you can fuck up an entire enemy line with one.

There are myriad strategies one can employ and various decks centered around specific builds to experiment with (I want to put together a "destruction" deck.) I'm at the Golden Saucer now, have had no reason to replace those two starting soldiers, been steamrolling all my opponents and those are only two cards of the 15 which I've obviously switched up as I've acquired new stuff. I should say I'm quite good at cards in games and irl, I play for money lol

Edit: forgot to quote Toots ⬆️

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm starting to feel like Aerith is going to die again, I mean there's no way they designed a character so unfun to play as, and force the player to do so in 1 on 1 scenarios constantly over and over for side content without the intention being that people relieved when she dies so that they never have to suffer playing as her in the third game.

No honestly why the fuck does she still play terrible? Where the complaints from the first game not loud enough? She's too fucking slow at everything. I ended up rejigging Yuffie to be a healer because she can go full ranged when under AI with the use unique ability materia, let's her actually charge her ATB bar by herself unlike Aerith who feels like a fucking rock to play as.

Last edited:
Alright, I've been in Golden Saucer the past 4 hours (yes, I know it's Gold Saucer but I've always called it Golden and that's not about to change lol). This. Is. SPECTACULAR! Square had a monumental task with this area in particular, they know how special it is for so many of us and what they pulled off is kind of astonishing, I feel like I'm in high school again trading stories with the gamer buddies during lunch break. I have a smile on my face the entire time, the joy and wonder has been recaptured perfectly.

I won't get into specifics, everyone needs to experience this spoiler-free but if the Saucer existed in the real world it would be akin to the greatest entertainment complex the Las Vegas strip has ever seen.

BloodborneHat3r

Neo Member
I wonder if Yuffie can be sent with the black materia to a universe that the meteor already summoned. Like the uni where Zack faced the meteor on the final boss fight. Meteor destroys Yuffie and a black materia so one universe won't have both a black materia to summon the meteor and Yuffie.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I did the entire upper Junon part last night, fucking amazing. Had a smile on my face the entire time and the whole part looks incredible.
Same it was absolutely spectacular. 🤯 🤯 🤯 🤯 🤯
Alright, I've been in Golden Saucer the past 4 hours (yes, I know it's Gold Saucer but I've always called it Golden and that's not about to change lol). This. Is. SPECTACULAR! Square had a monumental task with this area in particular, they know how special it is for so many of us and what they pulled off is kind of astonishing, I feel like I'm in high school again trading stories with the gamer buddies during lunch break. I have a smile on my face the entire time, the joy and wonder has been recaptured perfectly.

I won't get into specifics, everyone needs to experience this spoiler-free but if the Saucer existed in the real world it would be akin to the greatest entertainment complex the Las Vegas strip has ever seen.
My body is not ready for this. But I know what you mean, playing this is like the greatest nostalgia trip ever. Not only a nostalgia trip but also a wonderful dream seeing the world of FF7 in this glory. :messenger_loudly_crying:

QB player No. 14 just got decimated lol

qYAHxtR.jpg

I love this game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm starting to feel like Aerith is going to die again, I mean there's no way they designed a character so unfun to play as, and force the player to do so in 1 on 1 scenarios constantly over and over for side content without the intention being that people relieved when she dies so that they never have to suffer playing as her in the third game.

No honestly why the fuck does she still play terrible? Where the complaints from the first game not loud enough? She's too fucking slow at everything. I ended up rejigging Yuffie to be a healer because she can go full ranged when under AI with the use unique ability materia, let's her actually charge her ATB bar by herself unlike Aerith who feels like a fucking rock to play as.
Aerith's healing limit break is very useful.

Luipadre

Just finished chapter 4 and won the QB tourny in chapter 5. Loving this game so much. Junon part looked incredible. My ps says im only at 31% main story after 27 hours, so this will be a 80+ hour adventure for sure which i dont mind :)

Flabagast

Just finished chapter 4 and won the QB tourny in chapter 5. Loving this game so much. Junon part looked incredible. My ps says im only at 31% main story after 27 hours, so this will be a 80+ hour adventure for sure which i dont mind :)
Yeah, I am 40 hours in and dont want it to end. The game is never boring and constantly offers new surprises.

I do not know how they managed to accomplish a project of this scope in only 4 years. This feels insane to me

Luipadre

Yeah, I am 40 hours in and dont want it to end. The game is never boring and constantly offers new surprises.

I do not know how they managed to accomplish a project of this scope in only 4 years. This feels insane to me

But the textures! Seriously... yes the game can look inconsistent, but mostly looks amazing and the game itself is just so fucking good and fun

I really don't understand why they chose to lock party change during the main quest. That's such a stupid decision.

You build a nice party and strategy during free roam, then play main quest and forced to switch up during boss fights or sit there and do unnecessary tedious materia swapping.

Just_one

how do i get back to grasslands region if i dont have a fast travel point there? walk right? lol

chapter 4 right now but decided to just go crazy and explore everything so i want to go back,

im gonna lose myself in this game :D

Last edited:

finalflame

Go from the chest icon just under it to the left then there is a path where you use your chocobo
Thanks! I must be retarded cause I was totally there and could not find it. Gonna go scour it again.

The Buggy is nice, but holy shit the getting in/out animation is way too fucking long.
"Animation too long" is basically one of my biggest gripes with the game so far on multiple fronts. No idea why they can't drop this bullshit to make the menial stuff actually feel streamlined and not like a constant chore.

Game is otherwise fantastic, though.

Belthazar

There are myriad strategies one can employ and various decks centered around specific builds to experiment with (I want to put together a "destruction" deck.) I'm at the Golden Saucer now, have had no reason to replace those two starting soldiers, been steamrolling all my opponents and those are only two cards of the 15 which I've obviously switched up as I've acquired new stuff. I should say I'm quite good at cards in games and irl, I play for money lol

Edit: forgot to quote Toots ⬆️

The Chocobo and Moogle card is also surprisingly powerful if you build your deck around it.

Belthazar

"Animation too long" is basically one of my biggest gripes with the game so far on multiple fronts. No idea why they can't drop this bullshit to make the menial stuff actually feel streamlined and not like a constant chore.

Game is otherwise fantastic, though.

To be really honest I've started to appreciate those less streamlined aspect on some games. Like, with Helldivers it felt surprisingly refreshing that you had to go around the ship and do multiple things in order to start a mission instead or everything being a menu or a fade to black screen. It actually feels more immersive to me that way.

Beat the game..

Yeah, the ending sucks. It really wasn't too bad until the end of the Temple of the Ancients and it starts going off rails so hard. I just don't understand why they need to do this, IMO it is not additive at all.... Oh well.. rest of the game was really great aside from their incessant additions and alterations.

finalflame

To be really honest I've started to appreciate those less streamlined aspect on some games. Like, with Helldivers it felt surprisingly refreshing that you had to go around the ship and do multiple things in order to start a mission instead or everything being a menu or a fade to black screen. It actually feels more immersive to me that way.
Yah, I don't hate it everywhere. Sometimes it can be a great immersive tool. Other times though it just serves to frustrate. But getting on your Chocobo is at least a lot better in FVII Rebirth than it was in FFXVI, where it was truly infuriating.
SHARE-20240306-0434030.jpg

How in the FUCK do I get back here?
I must be dumb because I still cannot get there -- going west leads to a dead end either at the life spring thingy or at the battle/fiend, and going east ends up back on the path eventually. Anyone else struggle with this or do I just actually have extra chromies?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Been taking my time with it. Fully cleared the Grasslands. Now to see if there are any other Queens Blood players remaining before I continue with the story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got the next three days off work, and I'm in the Mt. Corel section with Yuffie leading. Planning on playing about 10 hours each day, hoping I can beat it by the time I have to go back to work.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Beat the game..

Yeah, the ending sucks. It really wasn't too bad until the end of the Temple of the Ancients and it starts going off rails so hard. I just don't understand why they need to do this, IMO it is not additive at all.... Oh well.. rest of the game was really great aside from their incessant additions and alterations.
Many people seem to dislike it. Very far from it, but hopefully when I get there the ending isn't totally ruined and there is some semblance of emotion left in that moment.

Many people seem to dislike it. Very far from it, but hopefully when I get there the ending isn't totally ruined and there is some semblance of emotion left in that moment.
To me these remakes shine the absolute brightest when they are sticking to what FF VII is, I love those moments. Even slightly expanded or embellished moments are great, it's when things veer off to more original ideas and concepts that it just starts to fall flat for me. In the end I have the same feeling about Remake as I do Rebirth, it's a love hate relationship. The parts I like are just so good but the parts I don't are just so bad for me.

I will say overall Rebirth is a huge step up for the execution in many regards though, gameplay, world, etc.. impressive big time and in that sense I loved it. Looking forward to completing all the side stuff I didn't quite finish out.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
To me these remakes shine the absolute brightest when they are sticking to what FF VII is, I love those moments. Even slightly expanded or embellished moments are great, it's when things veer off to more original ideas and concepts that it just starts to fall flat for me. In the end I have the same feeling about Remake as I do Rebirth, it's a love hate relationship. The parts I like are just so good but the parts I don't are just so bad for me.

I will say overall Rebirth is a huge step up for the execution in many regards though, gameplay, world, etc.. impressive big time and in that sense I loved it. Looking forward to completing all the side stuff I didn't quite finish out.
OG Final Fantasy VII was probably the very first RPG I played that made me emotional when playing it. Other games tried it, like FFVI, but it just didn't hit the same with pixelized characters. The cinematic experience FFVII was made me emotional and when I was young and playing the game. The reason the delivery of key parts is so important is
Aerith's death and the emotional punch it packs is what makes the ending so impactful. Where meteor is looming over you for half the game and you feel the magnitude of it, and all the talk about Holy, and then Holy can't even stop it, but suddenly the life stream comes in to prevent Meteor from destroying the planet, and you see Aerith powering it in the end. It wasn't convoluted, it was very simple, but it worked in so many ways. It gave value to Aerith's life other than just a cool character and love interest of Cloud. That her life spirit still had the power to save people in another way even in death. Also it was cyclical in the fact that Sephiroth killed her, Sephiroth summoned Meteor, but killing Aerith is what ended up stopping Meteor. So in the end he kind of screwed himself with his own actions. This alternate time nonsense, it feels like they're headed for an Aerith resurrection, which would totally alter the OG ending and really piss me off. It's like they don't have the balls to stick with it because killing off main characters is too difficult. If you think about it JRPGs very rarely kill off main characters. You see that way more in western RPGs. But Sakaguchi was experiencing loss in his life and wrote FFVII to be a little darker, which is what made it special. And I hope FFVII Remake isn't trending toward the "Everything ends happy, everyone lives!" like most JRPGs.

rofif

Banned
I am 30 hours in and maybe it’s my age and a fact I’ve been playing up to 2am every day since release but I am very tired and look like shit. Like I have bags under my eyes like I never had lol.
Maybe it’s my oled because I am playing with dynamic tone mapping and it’s bright (I play up close on my desk but it’s been like that for 3 years).
Or it’s simply the fact that Tifa bikini and youthful energy of this fantastic game is feeding on me. But I am spent and it’s 9pm lol.
edit: also.. it's huge and kinda tiring. I am addicted to doing everything but it's open world filler for the most part. It's all optional but I am afraid the game will out level me and I will miss some cool stuff! And once I start doing open world stuff, it's hard to stop!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE: Canon 'relationships', Gongaga Village.

So, the game is making it pretty obvious that Cloud x Tifa is the canon relationship here, Aerith still has a thing for Zack and Cloud also longingly looks at Tifa after Aerith's scene here.

Hey guys I started doing story stuff and I'm in costa del sol...will I be able to go back to fast travelling and exploring soon?
Seems like I have kinda been locked into story sections for a while now... (great fun tho)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In my head canon 'MAI' is just Chadley in drag. We never actually see them together (so far, at least)
I've also thought this. And laughed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In the end the whole overreaction about the graphics in the demo amount to nothing because the actual games was great......You would think people learn by now when we went through same thing with Elden Ring and RE4R but.......
giphy.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
In then end the whole overreaction about the graphics in the demo amount to nothing because the actual games was great......You would think people learn by now when we went through same thing with Elden Ring and RE4R but.......
giphy.gif
Yeah it’s getting ridiculous with the whining recently. If they used ue5 bit game was smaller and took 3 more years, it would suck.

In then end the whole overreaction about the graphics in the demo amount to nothing because the actual games was great......You would think people learn by now when we went through same thing with Elden Ring and RE4R but.......
giphy.gif
Played through the whole game on graphics mode, so 50+ hrs. Switched to performance to do end game stuff and I've been playing in that mode for hours now.. I just don't even see what all the complaining is about. Looks good either way to me.

I’m 4 hours in so far. Thoughts:

-Wow, wow, wow at the amount of content and the sheer variety already.

-Battle system is really great, though I want more Materia that increases ATB speed.

-I’m really glad that there’s a lot to explore, but the movement can feel so stiff and janky. I hope CBU1 improves on this.

-Mini-map is practically useless

-In all honesty, the opening is kind of horrible. Way too many forced slow walking segments in addition to some dumb little tasks. The part with Nibelheim on fire was especially bad. The crawling and the mini game was completely unnecessary and the scene was stupid as a result.

-The game is a little too silly so far

-I’m just gonna say it: major Lightning Returns vibes so far lol

-is anyone seriously even touching Graphics mode? It’s a slideshow for me. It feels like 15 FPS. There’s no way this is 30 FPS or even 25 FPS.

I can tell I’ll love the game more as I press on

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Played through the whole game on graphics mode, so 50+ hrs. Switched to performance to do end game stuff and I've been playing in that mode for hours now.. I just don't even see what all the complaining is about. Looks good either way to me.
It was just stupid overreaction which we go through every time in GAF and somehow they never learn.

Go_Ly_Dow

I've just got to Costa del Sol and I'am not sure which is more impressive.

The amount of content this game has or the amount drugs the dev team took when making this 😂.

This game has Kojima level of insanity and that's totally a compliment!
Same just got there and it's another brilliant reimagining. I just love how lively all these locations are.

They also feel just about right in terms, of size, Kalm, Junon, Costa Del Sol etc... a lot bigger than original versions with tons of explorable outdoor and indoor areas, but not too big that they're completely overwhelming and not too small that you wish they were significantly bigger. There's just so much detailed packed into each place. Even some of the random portraits in Inns and stuff have been impressive.

giphy.gif
Same shit happening in the Dragons Dogma 2 thread despite having glowing previews.

I don't mind the odd complaint but it just dominates the discussion and it's so fucking dull.

If your that bothered about graphics just spend your life's saving on a Monster PC and spare us your crybaby tears!

Top Bottom