• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

If we're talking irritating bugs, then how about the game timer not stopping when you pause the game? Or menus not closing when you press the circle button and just highlighting the bottom option instead. I keep getting stuck in Blitzball menus because I can't back out of them.

Is there any benefit to starting Blitzball immediately when you can, or is it fine to just leave it until the end-game? I don't know if players disappear or anything if you don't sign them up.

cheesekao

If we're talking irritating bugs, then how about the game timer not stopping when you pause the game? Or menus not closing when you press the circle button and just highlighting the bottom option instead. I keep getting stuck in Blitzball menus because I can't back out of them.

Is there any benefit to starting Blitzball immediately when you can, or is it fine to just leave it until the end-game? I don't know if players disappear or anything if you don't sign them up.
The blitzball menu has always been finicky from the get go. It isn't a 'bug' unless you're talking about something else.

I'm 25 hours in or so and man, this game pretty much cements my thoughts that the turn based style of battle systems will never be beaten. These battles are just so damn good looking, animations are awesome, music is awesome, strategy is awesome. It is all awesome.

Battles are intense and fun to watch and strategic even when fighting just regular foes. Made so by the fact that status effects actually work in this game, and work often. If an enemy hits you with Blind, don't expect to hit anyone after that. You go from 100% hit rate with Wakka to maybe 25% at best. So getting hit by a status effect like Blind is detrimental to your melee characters. Getting your mages silenced, may as well not exist anymore. All the various items Rikku can grab, and by the time you hit a certain area you begin getting very ... very useful items through stealing. Haste always has a place in a battle. All the various Overdrive boost style you can unlock.

Its all just fantastic. All feeds into making your combat dynamic and entertaining.

I drool thinking about what SE could do with their graphic engine in FFXV if they went to a turn based system instead of the real time one they currently have in place. If they could create an entirely different engine based around the added power of being in a static location during the combat sequence. I mean FFX's graphics are what they are with minimal improvements and it is what, 15 years old? Combat is beautiful. Spell effects are leagues beyond what you get in todays action based games. Made due by the fact that the engine can push so much more on screen thanks to the brilliance of keeping it within the pre-rendered arena space. I want SE to make a FFX battle system game with todays graphic capabilities. I DROOL AT THIS THOUGHT. It is the main reason I am so damn bummed FFXV has the battle system it has.

IIRC nothing in Blitzball advances unless you actively play it. The only thing that might change is the availability of certain characters that you can recruit but it won't have a significant impact and I'm almost sure I ignored it until the very end in my platinum playthrough

Rosur

There isn't any benefit and only worth doing for the end game items for wakka weapon.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I wish the newer FF titles had the option to choose between the turn based battle system and the new crap they've introduced

Stormus

I haven't played this really since 2002ish (which I never beat, my friend owned it) and this game is soooo good. How good? To the point where I was playing Witcher 3 yesterday, and all I was thinking about was FFX.

Falk

that puzzling face
I wish the newer FF titles had the option to choose between the turn based battle system and the new crap they've introduced

yeh newer FF titles like FF4-9

But seriously though, it's good once in a while. Bravely Default was really, REALLY amazing to play through. Couldn't care less about the story, was having so much fun finding ways to break the system in the last 4 chapters.

I haven't played this really since 2002ish (which I never beat, my friend owned it) and this game is soooo good. How good? To the point where I was playing Witcher 3 yesterday, and all I was thinking about was FFX.

lol yeah im getting Witcher 3 today or tomorrow from Gamefly but highly doubt I will be able to put this down for long. I'll def. check out Witcher 3 a bit, but yeh ill jump right back into this until im done with it. Never did play X-2

The blitzball menu has always been finicky from the get go. It isn't a 'bug' unless you're talking about something else.

Not a bug necessarily, but it's like they've totally forgotten to include a "back" option because the circle button doesn't function as "cancel."

And cheers people, I guess I can safely leave Blitzball for now!

StrikerD

Agreed on turn based being great, almost all of my favourite game series over the years have been turn based, Pokemon, DS Yugioh games, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem,will probably pick up the vita version of this just because of the RNG problem.

Enthus

Just beat X. I loved it, and the remaster is fantastic. I'm in no rush, and I'm not a trophy hunter, so I'm not going to go after the 100% right now.

On to X-2!

BadHand

Finally got ths Sun Sigil.

Turns out the getting 0:00 exactly, although bags you the trophy, does not count.

after another few hours (lol) got a tine of approx. -1sec.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God damn, gonna be AWESOME to soak in the fucking hype again.

FFX: GotY 2001
FFX PS3: GotY 2014
FFX PS4: GotY 2015

7Iw4er0.jpg

God damn, gonna be AWESOME to soak in the fucking hype again.

FFX: GotY 2001
FFX PS3: GotY 2014
FFX PS4: GotY 2015

7Iw4er0.jpg

But what about Bloodborne, Yoshi?! D:

OT: I really want to buy this. Never finished my play through on Vita, but I'm currently knee deep in Dark Souls II, Witcher 3 and DQVII. How is the port so far? Are there any noticeable upgrades?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha, the truth is I don't really take HD Remix or ports into "GotY"-consideration!

Final Fantasy X is my Game of the Generation (PS2/GC/Xbox), so it would just be unfair.

Maybe its that I'm older now, but actually liking the storyline more this playthrough. Dunno if I skipped cutscenes before when i played on PS2 or was just too young to care. But the story is actually pretty great. The voice acting though lol. Yeesh. Sometimes its good, sometimes its REALLY bad.

I liked how Sin was sitting underneath the ice listening to the song of the Fayth because he is Jecht and Jecht loved that song

Just bought this to get back in nostalgia mode and I'm pleasanlty surprised with the visual boost. That soundtrack man... It just triggers something in me, its so awesome. Uematsu is simply the best composer out there

Also can't wait to try and fill the whole spherier for every character. did it back then and will do it again I think :D

I am enjoying this game thoroughly.
Though as I'm playing this, my gf is playing FFXIII for the first time, which starts raising comparisons in my mind.

When I played FFXIII it reminded me of FFX more than any other game. Now that I've played the latter, it's hard for me to see a majority of criticism of FFXIII as legitimate in the face of most of those qualities being present in FFX.

FFX is just as linear (no matter how hard they try to mask it with their "towns"), has a potentially unlikable protagonist (though for different reasons), has a super easy battle system (if not easier), and the Sphere Grid and the "Crystarium" seem like close siblings.

I love both of those games, but replaying FFX makes me wonder why some were more willing to give one game a chance and not the other.
Also, it makes me wonder whether the same exact team made both.

On a side note, Kimahri is really bumming me out from a game design standpoint. I just wish he had more purpose, or his own class. Blue Mages are always the character I want to use less, or if I do use them, simply for one good stolen ability.

Though as I'm playing this, my gf is playing FFXIII for the first time, which starts raising comparisons in my mind.

When I played FFXIII it reminded me of FFX more than any other game. Now that I've played the latter, it's hard for me to see a majority of criticism of FFXIII as legitimate in the face of most of those qualities being present in FFX.

FFX is just as linear (no matter how hard they try to mask it with their "towns"), has a potentially unlikable protagonist (though for different reasons), has a super easy battle system (if not easier), and the Sphere Grid and the "Crystarium" seem like close siblings.

I love both of those games, but replaying FFX makes me wonder why some were more willing to give one game a chance and not the other.

FFX's linearity makes sense to me, it's a journey with a start and a clearly defined goal from the beginning. FF XIII just threw me from one random group of characters and setpiece to the next and I never felt in control of what was happening until the very end, so I was unable to relate to anything. That's the main difference of me at least. Also I hate everyone in FF XIII, while I only hate half of the characters in FFX.

Kyoufu

So I just got two different drops from Dark Valefor after two attempts.

The first one was a Sonic Blade, the other was a Regen Shield.

On a side note, Kimahri is really bumming me out from a game design standpoint. I just wish he had more purpose, or his own class. Blue Mages are always the character I want to use less, or if I do use them, simply for one good stolen ability.

I had him leapfrog Lulu with a lv. 2 key sphere early on and got him to the Death area long before Lulu will get there. He has spent time within Wakka's line and now has moved into Lulu's.

He is a utility character. He's meant to be ... whatever it is you want him to be really. He has access to a lot of different lines early in the game. I had to do some backtracking, but in the end it has been worth it. He now hits hard, has good agility and aim ( so can hit flyers now even ) and now has strong magic thats getting stronger through attribute building from Lulu's area.

I like Kimahri myself. Always liked the versatile characters like that.

pottuvoi

Banned
In essence, MSAA is == FSAA in terms of geometric detail, but with a shortcut for shaders. Another way you can think about it is the image is rendered, downsampled, and THEN a shader pass is applied (Of course, it doesn't work this way but that's a very close approximation in what the end result is)

4x MSAA means the effective 'resolution' (if you still want to think in terms of downsampling) is far greater than 1440p for geometry.
Only difference of SSAA (or FSAA like 3dfx called it) and MSAA is that MSAA writes only one color value to all subsamples within a pixel when rendering a polygon. (SSAA writes unique color to every subsample.)

This has side effect that only geometric changes are visible in final image.

Ultimadrago

I really want to experience best Final Fantasy again, but I purchased the Collector's Edition of FFX on PS3 and now I got the Collector's Edition on PS4 without having touched the PS3 version. Doesn't bode well for my backlogging skills.

Kikujiro

<cut>

Pacing, variety and writing.

FFX is a slow pilgrimage where you explore the world of Spira and its history, you learn about your companions through the journey and you bond with them. The story is pretty simple and the ending is just incredible.

FFXIII si a race where you fight countless of enemies without a break, there's nothing else to do other than run from place to place and fight enemies (you can't stop to visit a city because of "story reasons"). The story is buried inside the game codex and the characters are overwritten to sound more dramatic to the point of being unbearable (see Snow).

Mabufu

Banned

FF X may share some linearity with XIII.
But FF X has no really annoying characters, (Tidus is not annoying, just not badass), a good and understandable story told by the game and not trugh walls of text, and an infinite better pace than XIII. FF X is amazing as package, XIII not.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
every time i see this topic getting bumped up on these boards i scream a little.
thinking it's final fantasy 12 :(

still going to buy this one on ps4 tho.
loved the game.

inner-G

Banned
Wasn't going to buy this version (lol yeah right) well, I was going to hold off until it was cheap.

Bought Type-0 instead. Wow, that was a mistake.

I'll probably be re-re-re-re-buying and playing this next week instead! Lol

Random Number Generator. Basically an algorithm that determines what kind of enemies you encounter, how much damage you do and what drops you get, which works slightly different (worse) in this version.

How different is it, exactly ? Is there an article discussing it ?

Kyoufu

The RNG is weeeeeeeeeird. I've killed Dark Valefor around 17 times now. Only two times did I get something different from a Regen Shield.

Kouriozan

F*cking finally, my poor heart T-T

CFdqIMdWIAEMEvK.jpg:large

The last annoying mini-game is thunder dodging, but I'm a skilled rhythm player and already did it on PS2.
Blitzball isn't hard too, at worst you can abuse it by hiding behind your goal keeper.

Yoshichan

Is there an install for FFX?

hawk2025

Guyssssss

How much would it be, technically, to have the European version sent to me? I really want the steelbook :( Amazon.co.uk doesn't want to deliver to the US :(

Any other options?

Magnus

X-2 has its problems. Man, even trying to play the first 15 minutes in front of my boyfriend was rough. He had so many questions, and having him watching me play was like seeing the game through fresh, embarrassed eyes. He laughed aloud when they said Garment Grid for the first time, and berated the awful jazzy music. It's so weird coming off of FFX.

That said, here are the things I love about X-2:

• The combat; greatest ATB-type battle system in an FF, bar-none IMO. I only loved XII more, and XII is basically a version of what they developed for X-2 with free-roam/MMO sensibilities built in.
  • The hyper-non-linearity; it's like a wild 180 switch from FFX. It's actually fascinating to revisit the world with that massive change from X's linear pilgrimage to X-2's open exploration.
  • The revisitation of Spira AFTER the events of X. It's fascinating to see what's changed. It's almost sad to see how some areas have evolved into tourist attractions, and how new structures have been built to fill the various voids that X's events created.
  • The speed. Between faster battles, options to skip cutscenes and battle transitions, and airship travel available from the start, it's a far breezier game.

It's a really interesting game, even moreso if played directly after finishing X. Try and appreciate it for all the things it gets right.

X's battle system is nice and quick itself; there's something nice about how responsive and tight it feels....that said, CTB/turn-based is just plain dreary to me with all the other entries in the series being active. There's no pressure. No sense of tension. To actually SEE the turn order on the right takes so much drama out of it. I enjoy choosing heavier attacks and bigger spells knowing they'll take longer to cast, something that actually gets visualized with longer time bars in X-2 and XII. It's just plain less complex in X, as far as I'm concerned.

And don't get me started on the Rock Paper Scissors crap. Yes, there's an odd satisfaction to derive from Wakka OHKO'ing a flyer, or Auron OHKO'ing and slicing right through an armored creation, but it gets so fucking dull after awhile. You just match each strength to each weakness, and bam. Granted, that RPS gameplay goes away the further into the game you get, but I prefer the greater ambiguity in other FFs. It's just too straightforward in X.

But yeah, the greatest sin for me is the full wait mode/turn-based system. No tension. No true drama. You can sit and sit and wait on making a decision forever. Boring.

Top Bottom