• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

JP

About 3 or 4 hours in now, does anybody have any quick advice for a beginner as I feel there's far more going on than I understand. Do all characters that make an appearance in a battle get experience or is it just the three at the end? Just been having a good look at the Sphere Grid, how did people organise what they were doing on it?

About 3 or 4 hours in now, does anybody have any quick advice for a beginner as I feel there's far more going on than I understand. Do all characters that make an appearance in a battle get experience or is it just the three at the end? Just been having a good look at the Sphere Grid, how did people organise what they were doing on it?

Any character that performs an action in battle gets experience, regardless of when in the battle it took place.

You don't really have to worry about the Sphere Grid until later on in the game when it opens up a little. For now you're fine just following the path and unlocking stuff as you go. You'll have a much better understanding of what you want to do with it once you get to the point where it's even an option.

Every character that performed an action gets exp, so switch people out whenever you can. If you picked the standard sphere grid (which you should have) just follow each character's path for now. You don't have to make any real choices until very late in the game and you might have a better idea of what you want at that point

EDIT: damn you stole my post

Strange. I killed the enemy with Lulu's fire but the screen zoomed in on Tidus' victory pose and he said a quote. I guess this game still has glitches they need to work out.

JP

Thanks, not sure which version of the Sphere Grid I chose, t was the more complicated of the two. If that's the wrong one would I be better off restarting the game with the other one? I ask this now as I'm guessing Witcher 3 will be taking up my gaming time for a while so it could be some time before I return to it.

eww. It sounds game breaking, like you'll never be able to get certain items. I can live with the soundtrack at least.

You honestly think they'll never fix it?

Arkeband

Banned
eww. It sounds game breaking, like you'll never be able to get certain items. I can live with the soundtrack at least.

You honestly think they'll never fix it?

It's not gamebreaking, please skim the last few pages of discussion.

And no, they probably won't patch it.

Kyoufu

How is the fixed RNG game breaking? What. I don't understand that logic.

Also I got a friend to Share Play the Chocobo race for me. TAKE THAT, SQUARE!

Since this seems like a makeshift OT more or less (and I'll likely get a faster reply here), quick question: If I want to start tackling the optional bosses (Ultima & Omega Weapon, Dark Aeons, etc), where should I be at stat-wise in order to not get bodied? Should I have a certain stat maxed for each character?

Shame about there still being no scene skip, though. Even KH1 HD had that added.

theofficefan99

Yeah,its a shame.

So many re-releases,yet no cutscene skip in sight.

Its pretty much never gonna happen,unless the game releases on PC and some Modder does it.

I don't understand this, either. It's just pure laziness, as I've heard implementing a "scene skip" is really easy to code.

LOL Beat
Evrae
on my first try, she always gave me trouble in the past, I was so happy. Ofc after that fight there are no save points on a robat kicked all 3 of my characters out of a fight before I got to a save =\ fml

nikos

Picked this up the other day and I'm having as much fun with it as I did when it came out for PS2. It still looks good and the soundtrack is one of the best IMO.

Even with a gigantic backlog that includes many RPGs, I'd still rather play this at the moment. I never finished X-2, but I'm playing through X again before starting it. I'm glad it's been so many years because I don't remember every detail.

Mabufu

Banned

RNG is not gamebreaking... music loop glitch does ruin the experience tho.
I NEED IT FIXED T_T

Gasian

Is it still possible to get the platinum trophy on ps4 for FFX if the RNG is fixed? Will it be harder to do or easier? It would be nice if you can give my dumb self some reassurance if possible? Sorry for wasting your time

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Your obsession over a number that somehow made it into your head as "must be good" is still as amusing as ever :V

1080p 4xMSAA looks far sharper than a 1440p SSAA (I'm assuming you mean a downsample) just due to 1440->1080p not being an integer downfold, resulting in a lot of smeared edges

Thanks for the info...yeah i obviously was talking about down-sampling...but if 4XMSAA is that much sharper, i supposed its good SE didn't heed my pleas :X

Doesn't the PS4 only output 1080p max for games, though?

No, it outputs 1080p to the TV for anything period(unless you change the menu settings).

Content can be internally ressed at pretty much anything though, which is what downsampling is, internally rendering something at a higher resolution than your display and scaling down. Anyone who has a 720p native television is automatically getting the benefit of down-sampling if they hook their PS4 up to it...of course, that's still worse than a native 1080p TV.

Kyoufu

Is it still possible to get the platinum trophy on ps4 for FFX if the RNG is fixed? Will it be harder to do or easier? It would be nice if you can give my dumb self some reassurance if possible? Sorry for wasting your time

Why would it not be possible?

Falk

that puzzling face
Thanks for the info...yeah i obviously was talking about down-sampling...but if 4XMSAA is that much sharper, i supposed its good SE didn't heed my pleas :X

In essence, MSAA is == FSAA in terms of geometric detail, but with a shortcut for shaders. Another way you can think about it is the image is rendered, downsampled, and THEN a shader pass is applied (Of course, it doesn't work this way but that's a very close approximation in what the end result is)

4x MSAA means the effective 'resolution' (if you still want to think in terms of downsampling) is far greater than 1440p for geometry.

RNG doesn't affect any of the trophies.... And hell if you know what you're doing the RNG makes farming stuff a lot easier.

I forgot how much I love this game. I was playing last night and said I'd play an hour before bed because I have to wake up early. Next thing I know I've been playing for 4 hours and it's 3am. I haven't done that with a game in a very long time. It's nice to get sucked into a game like this again.

Just got this on PS4, and I'm loving it so far.
I haven't played Final Fantasy X since middle school, sometime around 2002 or 2003-ish.

I remember being very disappointed with the game back then, following my love for the Final Fantasy games VI-IX.
I remember thinking the voice acting was terrible, and disliking most of the characters, while still finding the overall world and plot good.
I though the battle system was really easy.

So, buying the game again has given me an opportunity to see if my tastes have changed in a little over 10 years; which they have!

So far, I'm about 6 or 7 hours in( just finished the Blitzball tournament).

• I still don't like Tidus, but I don't hate him as much as I used to. I just find him really immature and partially less realistic than I would want, for someone his age and with daddy issues.
  • I really like Lulu and Wakka now, who before I didn't like so much.
  • Blitzball is still very disappointing, but is a lot more fun now that I read the tutorial this time( I never read tutorials as a kid).
  • The battle system is actually easier than when I was a kid, now that I have more gaming experience, and that I understand how turn lists work to one's advantage from Final Fantasy Tactics( caste haste on everyone, and kill whoever has the next enemy turn). But the simple strategy of having each character attack their enemy archetype is too simple for me to see any depth.
  • Al Bhed is a joke now that I've studied linguistics. I only have 2 of the primers, but I can already read the messages. Maybe it was actually a more believable language in the Japanese game.
  • The environments look really nice! This puts Type-0 HD's visuals to shame! Even the ugly PS2 models aren't so bad.
  • New soundtrack is fantastic, other than in maybe 1 place where it seemed worse. I've been testing out which one I like whenever I get to a new area. Really glad to be playing a game with an Uematsu score.

My only question is:
Tidus is my weird Squire/Synergist dude who buffs my team and attacks fast enemies, Lulu is black mage, Yuna is white mage/Summoner, Auron is some Samurai/Knight mix, Rikku is a thief, and Wakka is my machinist/archer/saboteur character who debuffs with ranged attacks.
What is Khimari supposed to be?
Blue mage, but what is his non-limit break/overdrive role?
I'm not sure how to level Khimari up, and am naturally not using him.
Were there certain abilities that he was supposed to have gained in the original?
JSKY, I'm using the "expert" sphere grid, since I figured I could handle a "hard mode".

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
What is Khimari supposed to be?
He's your sphere grid guinea pig. Have him go wherever you want. Combine different skillsets if you don't want the other characters with defined roles to sway too far from theirs. Since you're on the expert grid, you can really have him mix it up.

BadHand

I got 0:00 in the Chocobo race, the trophy popped but I didn't get the
Sun Sigil

Is this a glitch or am I supposed to be doing something else to get it?

mieumieu

I don't understand this, either. It's just pure laziness, as I've heard implementing a "scene skip" is really easy to code.

It is probably not easy though. Just like why there is no scene skip option in FF7/8 re-releases, legacy code may be more difficult to implement scene skip on it without careful planning in the first place, as the game does more than playing out animations and subtitles. Skipping game critical information can break the game.

He's your sphere grid guinea pig. Have him go wherever you want. Combine different skillsets if you don't want the other characters with defined roles to sway too far from theirs. Since you're on the expert grid, you can really have him mix it up.

I guess I could do that, though everyone else seems to have a role to play, and if he doesnt meet any one role, I don't when to use him in battle. I'm also afraid of him being statistically worse than everyone else at the roles that he's copying.

It is probably not easy though. Just like why there is no scene skip option in FF7/8 re-releases, legacy code may be more difficult to implement scene skip on it without careful planning in the first place, as the game does more than playing out animations and subtitles. Skipping game critical information can break the game.
Having mid-cutscene event flags sounds pretty damn possible considering the switching back and forth with CG during them.

Falk

that puzzling face
Its pretty much never gonna happen,unless the game releases on PC and some Modder does it.

Honestly speaking this sounds like something that would break the game in unintended ways if the engine isn't built for it. (Characters being in the wrong place after skipping cutscenes, etc)

A clock speed mod on the other hand to fast forward through stuff would be better than nothing.

There's cutscene skipping in X-2...right? I think that was present even back in the PS2 release?

yes

Kyoufu

So it looks like without knowing how to reset the RNG (if at all possible) then you're screwed if you plan on farming Dark Aeons for their armour. There are alternate methods to farming Dark Matter though which is what I've been doing to begin with.

Kouriozan

I'm almost done catching 10x all monsters in FF X, but the last few ones in Omega Ruins are going to be painful to encounter, especially Varuna.
Weirdly I got tons of master tonberries.

Kyoufu

I'm almost done catching 10x all monsters in FF X, but the last few ones in Omega Ruins are going to be painful to encounter, especially Varuna.
Weirdly I got tons of master tonberries.

I get a lot of Varuna there usually but barely any Master Tonberries. :(

to bad "challenge" was ruined and completely changed.....original is wwaaayyy better.

Which is why every time I'll head into a boss fight that plays Challenge, I'm going to switch to the classic soundtrack.

I liked the buildup in the remastered Challenge, but the climax was completely ruined as it was stripped of the "bong bong" sound that made the original Challenge the way it was.

Mabufu

Banned
I contacted SE support too asking for a fix to the music glitch.
They answered my ticket and I'm emailing they now.

Hey, I still have faith -.-
I need that fixed.

Kouriozan

I'm also hoping they'll fix this, with FF X-2 encounter rate, it's super annoying.
I have hope they might do this while I platinum FF X.

Which is why every time I'll head into a boss fight that plays Challenge, I'm going to switch to the classic soundtrack.

I liked the buildup in the remastered Challenge, but the climax was completely ruined as it was stripped of the "bong bong" sound that made the original Challenge the way it was.
It's called guitar harmonics. It's the only real negative I have for the new OST. But it's enough for me to use the original.

Top Bottom