• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I am enjoying this game thoroughly.
Though as I'm playing this, my gf is playing FFXIII for the first time, which starts raising comparisons in my mind.

When I played FFXIII it reminded me of FFX more than any other game. Now that I've played the latter, it's hard for me to see a majority of criticism of FFXIII as legitimate in the face of most of those qualities being present in FFX.

FFX is just as linear (no matter how hard they try to mask it with their "towns"), has a potentially unlikable protagonist (though for different reasons), has a super easy battle system (if not easier), and the Sphere Grid and the "Crystarium" seem like close siblings.

I love both of those games, but replaying FFX makes me wonder why some were more willing to give one game a chance and not the other.
Also, it makes me wonder whether the same exact team made both.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=989636&highlight=

Feeling good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started streaming a bit and on the first attempt I beat that freaking chocobo race. Was laughing my ass off at how random that was.

17 balloons and 1 bird :D Didn't even think 17 balloons was possible with a good time.

Felt really scared though when I realised I didn't have the mirror yet so I couldn't get the caladbolg from the chest 'cause the guy was standing guard again after I did get the mirror.

Did atleast 20 new attempts at the race till I realised I could just win and quit the race and the chest would be accessible again. (cause the game checks for best time when you leave the race which is zero seconds anyways for me lol)

Haven't felt so rewarded in a long time though. Wish the rest of you all the same awesome luck at it!

Definitely gnna make a highlight on twitch from that race hehe

AESplusF

How do you check the playtime on a save file?

I haven't played X-2 yet but I would play it for the world alone, Square really nailed it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I enjoy playing this so much more on the PS4 because of the controller.

Played for 4 hours today. :p

you guys who platinumed FFX are nuts. filling the sphere grid is such a bore! How can i do it faster?

i started X-2 for the first time today, it's an OK game but i hate the battle system..it's so fast paced and i struggle with it! FFX battle system is the one for me. out of all of FF.

Enthus

Does anyone know a good 100% X-2 guide that doesn't spoil too much but also doesn't miss anything? It seems like all I find are incomplete guides or complete breakdowns that include story elements.

Magnus

And people wonder why she quit.. :/

Such a damn shame.

Wait, what? There are X-2 soundtrack fans out there? Lol. I thought it was one aspect of the game that was universally reviled. I honestly actually dig a few tracks and thought I was alone in that! I like the title/credits track - which is just plain gorgeous - and also like 1000 Words, and a few other scattered prices in the game, including the new themes for Besaid and Zanarkand.

But combat music is just awful. Repetitive, soulless crap.

I got my first lv 4 sphere even before getting a lv 3 sphere lol. Looking across the board trying to see what would be the most beneficial unlock.

just got to highwind

Squire

Banned
I got my first lv 4 sphere even before getting a lv 3 sphere lol. Looking across the board trying to see what would be the most beneficial unlock.

just got to highwind

That's because you encounter some Lv. 4 spaces on the grid fairly early. They block some of the better skills, like Doublecast.

Kyoufu

you guys who platinumed FFX are nuts. filling the sphere grid is such a bore! How can i do it faster?

i started X-2 for the first time today, it's an OK game but i hate the battle system..it's so fast paced and i struggle with it! FFX battle system is the one for me. out of all of FF.

Triple AP, Overdrive -> AP, Triple Overdrive weapons. Then go hit Don Tonberry in the arena a bunch of times, then flee and get like 60 sphere levels in a few minutes.

You can get those weapons from One Eye in the arena.

Triple AP, Overdrive -> AP, Triple Overdrive weapons. Then go hit Don Tonberry in the arena a bunch of times, then flee and get like 60 sphere levels in a few minutes.

You can get those weapons from One Eye in the arena.

i've been doing that but i only get about 27..

then i run out spheres to use. sigh.

Well yeah, of course they're not exactly the same. Nobody would have argued that anyway, so that poster went out of their way to show the obvious to people who clearly knew it. Is one better? That's up to preference, but I do see the same game design "philosophy" in both of them. They're as similar as 2 FF games are going to get.

And they are very similar. It's why that poster could cite that people say it. I just naturally am reminded of the game even playing the other.

It's like writing a post to differentiate Dishonored from BioShock Infinite, when it's completely alright and fair to compare the two, and probably should be expected.

AmanoBuff

I actually found it very entertaining, but I like grinding, so...

I maxed stats (including Luck) for EACH character.

But I was going for max stats. If that is not your goal (it should be if you are planning on facing the supper bosses), then the Tonberry technique and should suffice.

For maxing stats though, the process IS long and quite detailed, it involves the Monster Arena, getting Clear Spheres to erase the low-level ones and replace them with higher-level ones and unlocking enemies and super bosses in the process.

If you go for that, here is a quite complete guide:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/46942

Personally, I'd recommend you go for the plat and max the levels of all characters. The game makes it feel fun and varied, and even with maxed stats, some of the supper bosses present a huge challenge.

It is a very rewarding experience honestly.

I'm playing FFX-2 now and while I admit that at first I felt just like you about its battle system, after a few hours I got used to the speedy combat and I have been enjoying it a lot so far.

Does anyone know a good 100% X-2 guide that doesn't spoil too much but also doesn't miss anything? It seems like all I find are incomplete guides or complete breakdowns that include story elementst starting to realize how complex the 100% is. .

That's impossible imo. There is a HUGE amount of stuff that you need to go out of your way to do in FFX-2 in order to achieve 100% and a lot of it is story related. For example, I'm at half of Ch3 now and I'm already at 75 hours (a few hours of those were spent just fighting, because the battle system is that good). And even now I'm just realizing the amount of stuff I need to keep track of is only increasing.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no way to avoid spoilers if you want to keep track of every percent point. And you will need to if you are going for the platinum.

I was planning on getting a Platinum trophy but then I realized how much of a hassle it actually is. I'll just settle for grinding enough to beat the bonus bosses and moving on.

And sorry Lulu, I love you but 200 lightning dodges isn't happening in this lifetime.

Kyoufu

I was planning on getting a Platinum trophy but then I realized how much of a hassle it actually is. I'll just settle for grinding enough to beat the bonus bosses and moving on.

And sorry Lulu, I love you but 200 lightning dodges isn't happening in this lifetime.

The dodges at the crater are easy. It's that stupid Catcher Chocobo race that sucks balls.

Kinsei

Banned

Unless you plan on using Zanmato on the final super boss you'll be completeing the sphere grid with three characters anyways. At that point the majority of the work is done so you might as well do it with the others.

Unless you plan on using Zanmato on the final super boss you'll be completeing the sphere grid with three characters anyways. At that point the majority of the work is done so you might as well do it with the others.

You don't need a full grid to beat Penance. Filling the grid completely and activating all nodes with every character is a significantly longer grind than what you need to beat him.

Logic88

Neo Member
I love this game, I played it so much on ps2, then vita, and now ps4. But dear lord I am just not able to beat that chocobo race with under 0:00 :(

I tried for 4 hours on wednesday, and 5 hours yesterday, then another 2 hours today and I just can't do it :( it's driving me insane. I really don't understand how people designing this thing thought it would be a good minigame that people would like. It's just making me hate a game I love because I want to get it done for the trophy, and also to get tidus's weapon fully powered up but can't.

I think I'm just going to give up and stop playing, no point me doing more stuff towards the platinum when I can't get that race done at all :(

Kouriozan

Finished 2 sphere grids, only 5 left. It's taking an huge ass time even with the Don Tonberry trick but I'll eventually get there.
I had hope Square would fix the music glitch before I platinum FF X, so I get a pleasant FF X-2 experience, but looks like it won't happen :(

UberTag

Wow at the RNG being completedly busted in this port and very few reviewers calling it out.
This is a game-breaking bug. And Square Enix won't even patch it? Glad I didn't jump in blind on this one.
Will go back to happily playing this on my Vita.

inner-G

Banned
Wow at the RNG being completedly busted in this port and very few reviewers calling it out.
This is a game-breaking bug. And Square Enix won't even patch it? Glad I didn't jump in blind on this one.
Will go back to happily playing this on my Vita.

Is it really game-breaking?

Can't you just do an action (cast cure) that will essentially re-roll the number?

Is it really game-breaking?

Can't you just do an action (cast cure) that will essentially re-roll the number?

It's not just one number. It's a table of numbers that are all advanced differently. Casting cure will affect some aspects of the RNG, but not others, like enemy drops. So to get different enemy drops you can't just cast cure, you have to fight more battles.

The problem is, when you load a save, you will get the exact same drops until you fight more battles than the last time you loaded the game. It also affects blitzball.

finalflame

Gold Member
Hmmm, I am almost convinced to pick this up. I know they are very different titles, but I was a huge fan of FFIX. How does this compare in terms of the world and story? I found FFIX to be delightfully charming with a fantastic, magical world. Kinda looking for the same out of this; will I find it?

inner-G

Banned
It's not just one number. It's a table of numbers that are all advanced differently. Casting cure will affect some aspects of the RNG, but not others, like enemy drops. So to get different enemy drops you can't just cast cure, you have to fight more battles.

The problem is, when you load a save, you will get the exact same drops until you fight more battles than the last time you loaded the game. It also affects blitzball.

Hm, well if I get stuck at something I can always load up the PS3 save to get through I guess.

Hope they patch it soon

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So this happened... :V

CFoPS_pUUAADoFv.jpg:large

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well yeah, of course they're not exactly the same. Nobody would have argued that anyway, so that poster went out of their way to show the obvious to people who clearly knew it. Is one better? That's up to preference, but I do see the same game design "philosophy" in both of them. They're as similar as 2 FF games are going to get.

And they are very similar. It's why that poster could cite that people say it. I just naturally am reminded of the game even playing the other.

It's like writing a post to differentiate Dishonored from BioShock Infinite, when it's completely alright and fair to compare the two, and probably should be expected.

"That poster"? That's my post, and my entire point was to illustrate that even though they have superficial similarities, their execution makes all the difference between how the games are critically received.

Top Bottom