• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

UberTag

There are very few reviewers for this port of the game and it doesn't matter since reviewers aren't going to be paying attention to something as irrelevant to the core game experience as RNG anyway.

Reviewers write reviews, not documentation.
For completionists, RNG is the furthest thing FROM irrelevant to the core game experience.

And fundamentally, when I read a review of a game that's been released on the market multiple times over the course of a decade the one thing that's most more important to hear about is how a release differs from prior ones. And if this version of a game has glitched RNG, glitched music and glitched trophies well... guess what, I expect that to be called out in a review. I don't want to hear... "hey, this game looks like that release that came out a year ago except the graphics look slightly prettier". That tells me nothing.

Then again, the kind of reviewer who would land a review of X/X-2 HD Remaster on PS4 over something new like The Witcher: Wild Hunt or Splatoon probably isn't going to be skilled or capable enough to discern stuff like this. So I understand. That's why we have places like GAF to clear the air.

For completionists, RNG is the furthest thing FROM irrelevant to the core game experience.

And fundamentally, when I read a review of a game that's been released on the market multiple times over the course of a decade the one thing that's most more important to hear about is how a release differs from prior ones. And if this version of a game has glitched RNG, glitched music and glitched trophies well... guess what, I expect that to be called out in a review. I don't want to hear... "hey, this game looks like that release that came out a year ago except the graphics look slightly prettier". That tells me nothing.

Then again, the kind of reviewer who would land a review of X/X-2 HD Remaster on PS4 over something new like The Witcher: Wild Hunt or Splatoon probably isn't going to be skilled or capable enough to discern stuff like this. So I understand. That's why we have places like GAF to clear the air.

To be fair, some people are going to play the game like a normal person and thus wouldn't notice bugs like the RNG. Hell, I haven't even noticed the music bug when I've been playing it because it's such a minor issue unless you're looking for reasons to be annoyed.

Anyway, I've been playing this for 40 hours according to the in-game clock which is probably about 35 hours, and I've only just found out you can defend. Fucking hell.

Synless

Actually, on second thought I have a better question that I am not finding a good guide for. I am starting my end game grind. I have all of the the final weapons powered up (except Wakka's second blitzball one) and need to get 1. Money 2. Auto-...? I am running into money issues and a fast way to level up so I can kill One-Eye (kicks my ass) so that I can get Triple AP weapons. What is the best way to go about this? I never did much past beating Sin in the original game.

cwistofu

To be fair, some people are going to play the game like a normal person and thus wouldn't notice bugs like the RNG. Hell, I haven't even noticed the music bug when I've been playing it because it's such a minor issue unless you're looking for reasons to be annoyed.

Anyway, I've been playing this for 40 hours according to the in-game clock which is probably about 35 hours, and I've only just found out you can defend. Fucking hell.
In the 4 times (probably 400+ hours) I've spent on this game, I don't think I've used the defend command even once.

Actually, on second thought I have a better question that I am not finding a good guide for. I am starting my end game grind. I have all of the the final weapons powered up (except Wakka's second blitzball one) and need to get 1. Money 2. Auto-...? I am running into money issues and a fast way to level up so I can kill One-Eye (kicks my ass) so that I can get Triple AP weapons. What is the best way to go about this? I never did much past beating Sin in the original game.

Omega Ruins is great for grinding both AP and money; AP because the fiends are the toughest in the game, and money because the mimics drop a ton when you kill them. Equip Auron's Masamune (or any weapon with first strike, as the Great Marlboro will ambush you 100% of the time and kill you otherwise; if you meet one, swap in Yuna and summon), and Rikku's Godhand and hunt mimics. With gillionaire (from Godhand) you'll get 100,000 gil for every mimic, and you'll be getting 20k+ AP for most of the fiends in the area. Great for leveling. Just run back to that save sphere regularly lest you accidentally get killed and lose your progress. Demonoliths are the nastiest things in the area because of the variety of curses they'll hit you with, but a Silence Buster will take away their counterattack and make them much, much easier. You can also use this as an opportunity to capture fiends if you haven't already got them all for the monster arena. And be sure to swap in everyone to a fight so everyone gets AP; cuts down on the grinding process significantly (just make sure Rikku is in the party when you kill the mimics so you get the double gil bonus).

Once you're strong enough to routinely beat certain Monster Arena creations, you can also grind those for both AP and drops. Kottos isn't terribly difficult, and 2 overkills will get you enough healing springs to put auto-regen on an armor which you can resell for a big profit. But grinding Omega Ruins still seems to be better for the sheer volume of encounters (and not having to pay a fee to fight).

BadHand

I just platinumed ffx.

Beat all dark aeons without zanmato then gave up and zanmattoed penance.

Even with the recommended stats he was too difficult for me.

Synless

For everything up to and including Dark Aeons something like:

Auto Haste
Auto Protect
Auto Phoenix
Ribbon (not easy to acquire, could get away with one member with it but ideally two)

Penance armor is different but I haven't gotten there yet.
Sounds good, thanks! Let me know what your final Penance armor looks like.

Arkeband

Banned
It's quite useful for switching people in and out so everyone gets AP.

Triangle just skips their turn, right?

Should I be using Defend instead of triangle to make sure everyone gets AP? Does skipping their turn just delay it whereas Defend uses the turn up?

(should they have mapped Defend to triangle...?)

Roubjon

I just platinumed ffx.

Beat all dark aeons without zanmato then gave up and zanmattoed penance.

Even with the recommended stats he was too difficult for me.

Haha it's okay. I seriously tried to fight him twice, the second time I got incredibly close but messed up the turn order and lost. Then a couple days later I was showing my friend the fight because he never got to that point in the game and I jokingly summoned Yojimbo and tried to use Zanmatto. Somehow it worked and I was so relived I didn't have to fight him again.

Synless

Triangle just skips their turn, right?

Should I be using Defend instead of triangle to make sure everyone gets AP? Does skipping their turn just delay it whereas Defend uses the turn up?

(should they have mapped Defend to triangle...?)
Hitting triangle puts them into defend.

So I finally started playing X-2 for the first time and I gotta say, nothing I heard about this game prepared me for this. I had seen part of the opening cinematic but I'm still speechless, specially considering I went straight into this after beating X and watching Eternal Calm

It's so... weird. It's not bad but the game makes me feel like I skipped half an hour worth of cutscenes and then... boss battle against Doronjo with shamisen jazz? Wat
So this happened... :V
This happened to me while I was capturing the Calm Lands monsters lol

I guess Penance is just a grown-ass Nebiros

Arkeband

Banned
So I finally started playing X-2 for the first time and I gotta say, nothing I heard about this game prepared me for this. I had seen part of the opening cinematic but I'm still speechless, specially considering I went straight into this after beating X and watching Eternal Calm

It's so... weird. It's not bad but the game makes me feel like I skipped half an hour worth of cutscenes and then... boss battle against Doronjo with shamisen jazz? Wat

This happened to me while I was capturing the Calm Lands monsters lol

I guess Penance is just a grown-ass Nebiros

Square isn't really sure how to properly set up sequels. See FF13's "suddenly, the earth opened up!!!"

They usually get endings right but when it comes time to make another...

nyiyik2.gif

Finally got around to playing my copy (wanted to increase my hdd storage before having the game installed) and so far, I'm up to meeting Yuna. Only real thing I can nitpick right now is that the lip syncing is way off (not sure if it was like that with the Japanese dialog but I doubt it) and it does feel like a distraction sometimes.

Lucreto

Finally got around to playing my copy (wanted to increase my hdd storage before having the game installed) and so far, I'm up to meeting Yuna. Only real thing I can nitpick right now is that the lip syncing is way off (not sure if it was like that with the Japanese dialog but I doubt it) and it does feel like a distraction sometimes.

There was very little Lip syncing going on back in those days. FFXIII was their first attempt at it.

Mcdohl

Square isn't really sure how to properly set up sequels. See FF13's "suddenly, the earth opened up!!!"

They usually get endings right but when it comes time to make another...

I agree with you. IV's Interlude and The After Years were pretty bad too imo.

--

Anyways, I got my Platinum for FFX :)

Cross-play (and save without PS plus) between PS4/PS3/Vita was incredibly useful for me. In my ideal world all games would have this feature.

Getting screwed over by the RNG now. I'm trying to get Geosgaeno to drop a no encounters weapon but I'm just getting the same outcome every single time.

Hmmm my copy of the PS3 version is still sealed. I was going to ditch and double (triple?) dip for the PS4 version but those bugs sound annoying. Are the visual improvements that noticeable?

funkypie

Banned
does anyone have a save before the dark aeons / penance that they can upload? I'm at the stage where I need to kill the dark aeons but I just don't have the time for the full on grind. Would like to beat penance then start 10-2

Anung

Un Rama
I just beat the main meat of the story in about 40 hours. I got 6 out of 7 Celestial Weapons (2 of which are fully upgraded) and all the Aeons. I've beat 2 Dark Aeons. I forgot how brutal and annoying some things are. I'm still yet to get the 0.0 Chocobo time and it makes me want to pull my hair out in anger.

Still, I had an amazing time with this. Graphically it was great and the story was just as good as I remember. So many feels.

I would like to try and get the more of the celestial weapons pimped out and fight Penance and Nemesis. But I seriously don't know if I can handle the grind.

Plus I kind of want to play X-2 at some point.

Magnus

The massive improvement from the PS3 to the PS4 version that no one's really acknowledging is the load times. They exist on the PS3 version for practically every scene transition. Going into or out of any building. It's fucking maddening, just like the KH remixes on PS3.

That alone makes the PS4 version the go-to. Add in original music and remote play and it's a done deal.

I feel like if I read up more on what the RNG issue is and how it breaks the game in some ways, I'll become irritated by it. Right now I don't notice it and therefore, would rather remain ignorant of it. Lol.

Vashetti

Banned
The massive improvement from the PS3 to the PS4 version that no one's really acknowledging is the load times. They exist on the PS3 version for practically every scene transition. Going into or out of any building. It's fucking maddening, just like the KH remixes on PS3.

That alone makes the PS4 version the go-to. Add in original music and remote play and it's a done deal.

I feel like if I read up more on what the RNG issue is and how it breaks the game in some ways, I'll become irritated by it. Right now I don't notice it and therefore, would rather remain ignorant of it. Lol.

Does it load faster than the Vita version?

Just picked this up today after putting in only 4 hours into the PS3/Vita versions last year.

Really impressed how great it looks, I see some people complaining about the lack of a patch in here. Are there problems with the game I haven't run into yet?

Almost got plat on ps4 but blitzball is holding me back, 0-25 now... i suck =\

If it's anything like the PS2 version, you can do what I did back in the day: score once, get possession, and then swim back past your own goal and chill back there. The opposing team won't come after you and you can just run down the clock.

Purchased and downloaded! Gonna start it up after I meditate and write for a while.

I'm hoping this gives me the old FFVII feels. I never played a Final Fantasy after VII until XIII and I barely even started that.

Top Bottom