• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

Levyne

Banned
Okay, there's goofy, and then there's "the security system is being hacked from the future!"

._.

So if I haven't played a final fantasy since #7 can I just jump right in to this and be ok?

Tough one

Hmm. I would say no...this one is fairly standalone despite being in the middle of a trilogy, but it feels like a hodge podge of nonsense ideas bundled into a game with an established mythos and tries to make it fit. At the same time, it's probably a more fun game than XIII despite this one being way less cohesive.

I would go XIII pc first if you want to eventually play this, but even moreso I'd recommend the X/X-2 remaster if that's an option.

Durante

Any idea what causes the full resolution/hudless screenshot to simply fail to save sometimes? A bit of a hassle when I'm trying to get a specific shot in a cut-scene and then the screenshot keeps failing.
Address space limitations due to how the game allocates memory. The only thing you can do about it is save and restart the first time it happens.

Thoraxes

Any idea what causes the full resolution/hudless screenshot to simply fail to save sometimes? A bit of a hassle when I'm trying to get a specific shot in a cut-scene and then the screenshot keeps failing.

I'm using Steam's built-in tool for that and aren't having any issues. Plus I get nice 4k PNGs that look great.

ryan0991

Banned
I'm using Steam's built-in tool for that and aren't having any issues. Plus I get nice 4k PNGs that look great.
Yeah, but I love the hudless screenshot function of gedosato. I guess I could just disable the hud separately, but that's not quite as convenient as the hudless screenshot function. Oh well, probably just end up using Steam's screenshot function and just assign the disable HUD to a button on the controller. If it ends up being too annoying all just deal with the screenshot failing occasionally.

Thoraxes

But then you have to either toggle the HuD with GeDoSaTo every time you take a shot (annoying) or have HuD on your shots (ugly).

Yeah, but I love the hudless screenshot function of gedosato. I guess I could just disable the hud seperately, but that's not quite as convenient as the hudless screenshot function. Oh well, probably just end up using Steam's screenshot function and just assign the disable HUD to a button on the controller.

Ah, my bad. Did you mean no HUD in battle as well? I didn't think of that situation because most of the screens i've taken are mostly event/field gameplay.

I know that you can "natively" go HUD-less for cutscenes and field gameplay (minimap is toggled off by pressing select and turning off subs for cutscenes).

ryan0991

Banned
Ah, my bad. Did you mean no HUD in battle as well? I didn't think of that situation because most of the screens i've taken are mostly event/field gameplay.

I know that you can "natively" go HUD-less for cutscenes and field gameplay (minimap is toggled off by pressing select and turning off subs for cutscenes).

Yeah, I take a few battle screenshots. They look pretty good without the HUD.

Kazdane

Gold Member
I'm just thinking out loud... There's no one that has any clue or hint about what is causing the framepacing issues? Apparently in games that were capped at 30FPS, a modified exe would allow the game to run uncapped. It's probably not that obvious though, or I guess we'd have seen already some kind of solution.

leazo

Banned
Is there any solution to the problem of not getting any voices during the intro cinematic but sound is there in general yet? Dunno if its just me or if this is a common problem.

Durante

Is there any solution to the problem of not getting any voices during the intro cinematic but sound is there in general yet? Dunno if its just me or if this is a common problem.
Read my article :p
(short answer: set your audio driver to either 2 or 6 channels)

There are some UI elements you can't remove (without GeDoSaTo) even on the field though. E.g. talk indicators, goal overlays, etc.

fardeenah

Banned
just completed the game, the music is so much better than the original one, the story is kinda nonsense. is lighting returns any better than this game?

Beat the game as well.
So much stuff left to do though.

Massive Ending Spoilers

I feel like after the ending credits it should say "TROLLED BY CAVIA"

ryan0991

Banned
just completed the game, the music is so much better than the original one, the story is kinda nonsense. is lighting returns any better than this game?

Lightning Returns is definitely the most different of the three. You play only as Lightning. And the battle system is far more involved than either 13 and 13-2. Still has some great music, but overall not as consistently great as 13-2's music.

I like Lightning Return's battle system more, but I think I FFXIII-2 is the better overall game. With that said, they're both great games, imo.

HeelPower

15844394850_e1f96197c1_o.jpg

Forgot about the snow area!

Its the best looking effect in the XIII series.I am really surprised they didn't reuse it in LR.

Serah's lost. It's like a typical senerio: dreamy mysterious guy suddenly appears and ask for her help and trust while her finance is out and about.They go on a grand adventure and help each other in their times of need. Let's really give Snow something to mope about.

LOL

I bet this is exactly how Toriyama planned the story on the drawing board.

True but
he has had 500 years to brood over causing her death, the world to be ruined, and Yuel. Poor guy

I still think Noel should've thought more about serah than Yeul at that point

After they came so close to succeeding,serah dies and world goes to hell.

Her death should mean more to him than pretty anything else.

That diploma from Eden University is worthless now Serah!

292140_2014-12-17_00018sry.png

This costume has Etro's script below her neck, i wonder what it says.

Remember people choose the best dialog option to get the most (funniest shit) out of the game.

292140_2014-12-17_000ugsas.png

292140_2014-12-16_000f4um4.png

Someone managed a way to add missing costumes into the game?

Virgin KLM from PCSX2 forums said the costumes aren't missing. They are actually hidden in the game data disabled by Square Enix. Also a theory to Framerate problems.

VIRGIN KLM' pid='420658' dateline='1418769384 said:
Yes and no. I think the frequency of the GPU might have something to do with the frame-pacing jitter as the whole game engine is built around delivering nothing less than 30FPS at all costs, alot of PS3 games rely on accurate timing of those to ensure a stable FPS but on the other side there is somekind of translation/recompilation going on in the background that eats some overhead which migth result in a desync of CPU-GPU pacing. It's like a weird bottleneck.

I haven't got XIII-2 yet to test because I'm not yet done with exams but once I do I will review what's going on with that too. Have in mind that XIII-2 performed kinda poorer on PS3 too, there was a noticable bump in effects being rendered on screen and alot of pre-rendered stuff on XIII are now fully live rendered.

Also if you are interested, the PS3/XBOX360 exclusive DLC costumes of Noel/Serah that are supposed to "not be included on the PC version", are still present in the game's code and are accessible with a simple cheat. They didn't even try to remove them. I smell a patch comming soon trying to disable/remove them for copyright reasons so if you want them I'd advice you to NOT update the game with any patch.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-FFXI...inal-Fantasies-to-follow?pid=420658#pid420658

Also someone uploaded a custom Launcher that Launches as XIII series games and adds a bit more options to resolution and such.

http://skacik.pl/index.php/my-projects/16-final-fantasy-xiii-series-combined-custom-launcher

Levyne

Banned
Tried putting this on my laptop in since I will be away from my pc for a bit. I don't care and expended to run it at lower settings, but it won't even launch in fullscreen mode.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
What's the port quality like? Exactly the same as XIII?

In most cases it's actually worse in terms of performance. Some are reporting very smooth gameplay but most report stuttering at 30/20 or even 15fps. The options are the exact same as the ones they just patched into 13 and the gameplay dlc(Not outfits) are now locked until you beat the story first.

All in all, it's pretty much the same quality port as 13 but with 13-2 having even more fps problems on console it runs worse than 13.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Steam forum reports, take them for what them are but just know that in terms of port quality it's pretty much the same as 13.

I can personally vouch for Gunblade47's observations.

XIII-2 has so many more dips from 60 to 30 when compared to XIII that I just decided to cap the damn thing to 30 FPS using NVIDIA Inspector and use Gedosato with it for some extreme downsampling. (3200x1800 -> 1600x900)

As an added bonus I could then use 4k shadows + 16xAA with a stable framerate.

Stable 30 FPS takes awhile to get used to but is a lot less jarring from the frequent dips from 60 to 30 when you so much as just move the camera in a different direction.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can personally vouch for Gunblade47's observations.

XIII-2 has so many more dips from 60 to 30 when compared to XIII that I just decided to cap the damn thing to 30 FPS using NVIDIA Inspector and use Gedosato with it for some extreme downsampling. (3200x1800 -> 1600x900)

Stable 30 FPS takes awhile to get used to but is a lot less jarring from the frequent dips from 60 to 30 when you so much as just move the camera in a different direction.

That's not what Gunblade47 said though. If anything that's mirroring reports I'm hearing from my circle of friends where outright capping to 30fps results in stable FPS (as in, 'most') and one guy dips to 15 regardless (as in, 'some'). That one guy has a decent rig, mind you, so we're scratching our heads.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
The some I was talking about are those that report smooth gameplay at 60fps, not 30.

But yeah, I'll add that it was merely an observation of the forums on steam which we all know can completely overblow things too.

ryan0991

Banned
So I read that comment about possibly re-enabling the missing outfits (since they're apparently still in the files, but just disabled). Haven't had much luck with Cheat Engine. But I'm also not very good at this.

komorebi

That's not what Gunblade47 said though. If anything that's mirroring reports I'm hearing from my circle of friends where outright capping to 30fps results in stable FPS (as in, 'most') and one guy dips to 15 regardless (as in, 'some'). That one guy has a decent rig, mind you, so we're scratching our heads.

Locking to 30 introduces "loading dips" (for lack of a better term) that go down to 20~21 for a couple seconds when the game loads the area in the background. I'm not sure what the drop is like when playing at 60fps since I couldn't put up it, but I'm sure it dips there too. It might not even be noticeable given how frequently the frames drop and stutter @60fps. Its just a smelly port.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, well, locking to 30 also bloats loading times (Actually tested myself on this one since) which... is a real headscratcher. There's just some really bizarre stuff going on under the hood overall.

ryan0991

Banned
GeDoSaTo just refuses to take 4k screenshots in the Bresha Ruins. I realize it's a memory issue, but it's still pretty disappointing. The entire reason I was doing a play-through was to get 4k screenshots. It worked well enough in New Bodhum, but now it just fails 100% of the time. Steam's screenshot function isn't the greatest alternative considering the lack of a HUDless screenshot function.. And for some silly reason, Steam insists on taking two screenshots every time I press the button.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FINALLY GOT TIME TO PLAY THIS!

Bought just now! Downloading... then installing... gonna enjoy playing this in 21754214 hours.

Btw, how the hell do I activate all the DLC that was promised pre-launch? Why isn't it as simple as "enabling" the DLC by right-clicking like you'd normally do for Steam games?

Gunblade47

Neo Member
FINALLY GOT TIME TO PLAY THIS!

Bought just now! Downloading... then installing... gonna enjoy playing this in 21754214 hours.

Btw, how the hell do I activate all the DLC that was promised pre-launch? Why isn't it as simple as "enabling" the DLC by right-clicking like you'd normally do for Steam games?

All the promised DLC are included in the base game. You'll need to beat the game before you can actually unlock the story/coliseum dlc though, but the outfits are there from the start.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All the promised DLC are included in the base game. You'll need to beat the game before you can actually unlock the story/coliseum dlc though, but the outfits are there from the start.

w... what? Why did they do that? Colosseum was always unlocked on the console version.

Top Bottom