• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

ryan0991

Banned
It was only a matter of time :D

Though maybe 'love' is too strong; how about 'enjoys'?
I had a feeling this would happen eventually. The vocal minority finally got tired of complaining. The fans stick around, but the haters move on to something else.

What is "not normal" in this case? Not like you? Not like what you're used to?
Define "normal"

In this case, someone who is normal is someone who does not get personally offended when someone criticizes a fictional character. Us humans have a special ability to extend our personalities to symbols, ideas, and even other people. To some people, burning a flag is like burning that person and they get pissed. However, what everyone should keep in mind and realize is that this idea isn't you, this symbol isn't you, this person is not you, and this character is not you. When someone is insulting a game character, they are insulting the game character. There is no reason to be upset if someone doesn't like Serah or Lightning or Crash Bandicoot. It does not mean that they do not like you. Besides, you have much more complexity than Serah, you are able to change. You are able to feel pain, joy, happiness, anger, and all of those things. Serah cannot. She can be programmed to express these, but she is does not actually feel them no matter what you think. You are not Serah.

If someone felt incredibly touched by a character and felt really connected to them, then why wouldn't they take it personally when someone insults that character? You're insulting something that is extremely dear and important to them.

Because they are not that character, simple as that.

Of course, the criticism could be deeper than just saying shitty. I'd say that these characters are poorly written caricatures with no depth to them. If you think that's a reflection on you, then you can shoulder that burden.

serahsass

Neo Member
In this case, someone who is normal is someone who does not get personally offended when someone criticizes a fictional character.
Not only are you extremely close-minded and insulting, but you're also begging the question. You know you weren't actually suppose to try to define it anyway. You're taking what you consider "normal" and you're trying to apply it to everybody. You demonstrate a complete lack of understanding yet you continue to speak as if that's not the case. I can't emphasize enough how insulting you are. I'll just act like a DAMN robot from now on. I mean, that's what you want right, for us all to act "normal."

I actually kept how I feel to myself for way too long, but I did out of fear of being judged by people like you.

kvk1

Man, what's going on here?

So is there a community "true and tried" setting for FPS woes yet?

Or murmurs of a patch in the works?

Really enjoying this game so far. Much more than I thought I would.

ryan0991

Banned
In this case, someone who is normal is someone who does not get personally offended when someone criticizes a fictional character. Us humans have a special ability to extend our personalities to symbols, ideas, and even other people. To some people, burning a flag is like burning that person and they get pissed. However, what everyone should keep in mind and realize is that this idea isn't you, this symbol isn't you, this person is not you, and this character is not you. When someone is insulting a game character, they are insulting the game character. There is no reason to be upset if someone doesn't like Serah or Lightning or Crash Bandicoot. It does not mean that they do not like you. Besides, you have much more complexity than Serah, you are able to change. You are able to feel pain, joy, happiness, anger, and all of those things. Serah cannot. She can be programmed to express these, but she is does not actually feel them no matter what you think. You are not Serah.

Because they are not that character, simple as that.

Of course, the criticism could be deeper than just saying shitty. I'd say that these characters are poorly written caricatures with no depth to them. If you think that's a reflection on you, then you can shoulder that burden.
I have a question for you...

Do you think it's stupid or "not normal" to fall in love with a fictional character? And I mean genuine love. The type that many people go through their entire life without ever even feeling for a real person.

As far as I know, no... there are no reliable fixes for the crappy fps yet.

Someone violently scratching an itchy rash apparently
I know! I just can't stop!

Not only are you extremely close-minded and insulting, but you're also begging the question. You know you weren't actually suppose to try to define it anyway. You're taking what you consider "normal" and you're trying to apply it to everybody. You demonstrate a complete lack of understanding yet you continue to speak as if that's not the case. I can't emphasize enough how insulting you are. I'll just act like a DAMN robot from now on. I mean, that's what you want right, for us all to act "normal."
I didn't think I was that insulting. Unless you count the criticism I had for these characters. You over-identify with them. Like I said, they are not you and you are not them. They may represent a facet of your existence, bu not the entirety of you. Either way, there's some things you just can't take personally.

I actually kept how I feel to myself for way too long, but I did out of fear of being judged by people like you.

Shit, people judge others all the time. There's really no escaping it. Just act accordingly.

I have a question for you...

Do you think it's stupid or "not normal" to fall in love with a fictional character? And I mean genuine love. The type that many people go through their entire life without ever even feeling for a real person.
Yes. Mostly because there's no reciprocation.

UnrealEck

Someone who is getting upset about someone else's opinion of a fictional character they like and equating that opinion to personal insults because the fictional character holds similar qualities to real people.

Quite absurd.

komorebi

So far there's no tried and true fix and don't get your hopes up for it to be patched. Personally I've capped it at 30 and I'm happy with the performance

legacyzero

Banned
So this is a halfway decent port? I remember liking this game MUCH more than the one before it. Think I'll wait for the Winter Sale to kick it off though.

It's okay, according to the wiki, one of Serah Farron's personality traits is being quick to anger.

i2CROxGB3aqCi.png

Carlius

Banned
so i really dont get how anyone could say this is worse than 13. games so much better than 13 15 hours in, in every single way, including the music. of course, that is just my opinion, so move on and play.

edit: looking back in this thread and seeing criticism of serah? and noel? they are much better characters then what 13 had, by miles.

UnrealEck

FFXIII still runs like crap. Every time the framerate dips I can see GPU utilisation dipping. People have demonstrated using video that they're apparently getting ~60 FPS in battles in XIII-2 and saying they also get the same in XIII's battles. I can't understand what it could be.
I'm on Windows 8.1 now too and the issue is still present. Tried max performance settings in NVidia CP, tried windowed mode, tried forcing v-sync off, on, triple buffering on and off. Everything I can think of.

ryan0991

Banned
So this is a halfway decent port? I remember liking this game MUCH more than the one before it. Think I'll wait for the Winter Sale to kick it off though.
The fps is all over the place. Don't expect to maintain 60fps on anything but a beast computer. And even then you'll probably still get drops.

edit: looking back in this thread and seeing criticism of serah? and noel? they are much better characters then what 13 had, by miles.
Honestly, I don't understand how people could not like Serah either.

komorebi

What are you using to cap it at 30? Does it skip at all?

RivaTuner for the 30fps limit and then forcing 1/2 refresh vsync with Nvidia Inspector. Its extremely smooth, no skipping except of course when the game is streaming/loading the area in the background. I've noticed this occurs in some of the same spots that had horrible frame drops on PS3. At least here it actually recovers and goes back to 30.

Kanokare

RivaTuner for the 30fps limit and then forcing 1/2 refresh vsync with Nvidia Inspector. Its extremely smooth, no skipping except of course when the game is streaming/loading the area in the background. I've noticed this occurs in some of the same spots that had horrible frame drops on PS3. At least here it actually recovers and goes back to 30.

If it's capped to 30 fps from RT, what does forcing 1/2 refresh vsync accomplish? Not really sure what the combination does :p

Exentryk

A tip for people that are actually playing the game (all I see in the 15 pages here are fps and resolution comments, and barely any on the game itself):

Info below linked from this monster infusion guide

Minimalist Approach

Not everyone wants to explore their options. For those that do not, this section is for you.

This section only includes monsters who have proven to be instrumental for the fastest times against the most difficult or farmable post-game opponents. If you wish to keep your infusions to a minimum while still having everything you need, you should create the following monsters:

Chichu (COM) - For Raspatil, Nabaat, Gilgamesh, and Valfodr.
Cactuar (COM) - For Yomi, Typhon & Ultros, and Snow.
Cloudburst (RAV) - For Gilgamesh, due to its Feral Link, Friendly Fire.
Goblin Chieftain (SEN) - For Gilgamesh, due to its Feral Link, Spirit Infusion.
Purple Chocobo (SYN) - For general use, good against all opponents.
Yakshini (SYN) - For Valfodr, due to its Feral Link, Fanatical Dance.

The builds themselves can be found below, in Section 12 - Top-Tier Builds [TTBuild].

The monsters outlined above are not necessarily ONLY good for their listed battles. The minimalist player should be able to tackle every challenge in the game by creating well-built versions of these monsters.

Sectus

I didn't think I was that insulting. Unless you count the criticism I had for these characters. You over-identify with them. Like I said, they are not you and you are not them. They may represent a facet of your existence, bu not the entirety of you. Either way, there's some things you just can't take personally.
What about people who get attached to games? A game isn't even remotely anything like a human being yet you'll see tons of people become super defensive if you enter a random OT and say "This game is worse than shit. How could anyone like it?"

And that's not to mention intense arguments about stuff like how many pixels a game renders to the screen. Pixels!

Bottom line, can't we just talk about how amazing Vanille is instead of arguing about pixel counts in games?

komorebi

If it's capped to 30 fps from RT, what does forcing 1/2 refresh vsync accomplish? Not really sure what the combination does :p

I'm not sure how but it makes it much smoother than only capping it at 30. Give it a try.

Also I'm not sure if Caius' voice is the most ridiculous or badass voice of all time.

A tip for people that are actually playing the game (all I see in the 15 pages here are fps and resolution comments, and barely any on the game itself):

Info below linked from this monster infusion guide

You think this is a game? But thanks, I'll bookmark this for when the time comes.

Being able to tell the difference between reality and make-believe is a good start.

smmfh

Tripon

I knew that was coming. So predictable. You have nothing so you played the "she's not real" card. Hate is still hate whether the person in question is real or not.

There are many real girls with Lightning and Serah's personality. When you insult them you're indirectly insulting girls like them. Many times I've seen a fictional character get insulted only to have it offend a real person because they have a lot in common with that character.

People can develop a strong emotional attachment to fictional characters. People like you tend to think that's weird and stupid, but it's not. You demonstrate a complete lack of understanding when your response is basically "she's not real, you're stupid."

...Who the hell has Lightening's personality?

Gvaz

Banned
I loved XIII-2 from day one. I still have mixed feelings about XIII though....

Yeah same here. FF13 still sucks awfully, and LR is just....what the fuck were they thinking. But I really enjoy the direction they were going with 13-2

Honestly playing FF13-2, Serah is a fucking airhead, and Noel is the voice of reason. Frequently I'd find myself going "goddamnit serah, just stop talking" and Noel would be the only one in the game who I could appreciate because he just made sense most of the time.

ryan0991

Banned
...Who the hell has Lightening's personality?
Forced to grow up too fast, no nonsense, extremely protective of family, cold exterior.

Not sure why those personality traits seem so unusual to you.

At least that's what she was towards the beginning of 13. She changed over the course of 13 and the rest of the series.

Yeah same here. FF13 still sucks awfully, and LR is just....what the fuck were they thinking. But I really enjoy the direction they were going with 13-2

Honestly playing FF13-2, Serah is a fucking airhead, and Noel is the voice of reason. Frequently I'd find myself going "goddamnit serah, just stop talking" and Noel would be the only one in the game who I could appreciate because he just made sense most of the time.
I really don't see where you're getting the "airhead" thing from. She's usually on point with what's going on. She was the one who figured out how to beat the
Proto Fal'cie.
She resisted Caius far better than Noel did. She had to go into Noel's dream world to snap him out of it.

CorvoSol

Care to elaborate?

Serah was funny when she was an idiot. If you need that elaborated, I can't help you. Explaining humor kind of kills it.

Don't talk about other users like that.

Hey man all I'm saying is that maybe abstract concepts of things that can't ever exist experience emotions which are roughly equivalent to those of humans and you need to validate my hilariously out of touch view of the universe and all fictitious ones as well, dammit!

I knew that was coming. So predictable. You have nothing so you played the "she's not real" card. Hate is still hate whether the person in question is real or not.

There are many real girls with Lightning and Serah's personality. When you insult them you're indirectly insulting girls like them. Many times I've seen a fictional character get insulted only to have it offend a real person because they have a lot in common with that character.

People can develop a strong emotional attachment to fictional characters. People like you tend to think that's weird and stupid, but it's not. You demonstrate a complete lack of understanding when your response is basically "she's not real, you're stupid."

Are you personally offended?

ryan0991

Banned
Serah was funny when she was an idiot. If you need that elaborated, I can't help you. Explaining humor kind of kills it.
But you didn't explain it. I want you to explain why Serah is so bad when she is serious. All I did was ask you to explain your opinion. If you don't want to, then fine, but I didn't think it was too confusing.

Can't we all just get along?
Wish we could.

But some people are clearly only here to sharpen up their sarcasm skills.

Top Bottom