• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

How long does it generally take to get the 255 weapon from POTD for someone who hasn't touched POTD at all?

I thought they would removed gear weekly cap but no dice so since my weapon will take 7 weeks I want to upgrade from my 230 lore weapon.

I had enough for a 255 weapon after leveling my machinist from 30 to 50. So like... eight hours, maybe nine? This was with randoms and usually going from 51 to 100 so it should be faster with people you know.

In addition to this, a more bang for your buck method is to do Centurion Clan hunts, buy the old i200 gear and then turn those in for GC seals. It's how I got to First Lieutenant w/ Maelstrom in under a week after switching from Twin Adders.

BUT THEN HOW WILL U GLAMOUR THE AF2 STUFF?

Wazzy

Banned
I had enough for a 255 weapon after leveling my machinist from 30 to 50. So like... eight hours, maybe nine? This was with randoms and usually going from 51 to 100 so it should be faster with people you know.

Okay that's not bad at all. I'll be going in with a healer so we'll both be aiming for our weapons. Thanks!

TheChaos0

Pretty sure PoTD isn't exclusive to HW

POTD (Deep Dungeon) is basically a roguelike mode where you go through randomly generated dungeons with a separate leveling and item system, with bosses every 10 floors.

Just read up a little on PoTD, so you can enter solo, fixed party or a random party. So would you able to enter as a party of say 2 and it would be scaled for 2 people? Or would be always scaled to max party. That's kind of interesting and it doesn't matter what your level is, that's pretty cool as well. Might try it out tonight.

PotD is basically exclusive to HW since you can't even go past floor 40 on ARR alone.

Ah, so you can try it out at least though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
BUT THEN HOW WILL U GLAMOUR THE AF2 STUFF?
Yeah using centurios for company seals is a waste.

I use alliance seals. The rate is worse but I'm never going to use my alliance seals for anything so might as well.

Edzi

Can someone give me a quick run down about what I should be doing in a grand company? I joined one to get a Chocobo and never looked back, but I've almost maxed out on tickets so I should probably figure out what I can do with them.

Haly

Can someone give me a quick run down about what I should be doing in a grand company? I joined one to get a Chocobo and never looked back, but I've almost maxed out on tickets so I should probably figure out what I can do with them.

Talk to the... OIC guy? And go for Promotions when possible.

If you need a seal dump, Ventures are pretty good if you're actually using your retainers.

kagamin

Uh, up your rank so you can have more seals in case you ever need things that require higher rank or more seals.

Haly

Probably the big thing later on are the crafted items you need for the anima questline.

Adamantite Francesca 
Titanium Alloy Mirror 
Dispelling Arrow 
Kingcake 
These are four crafted items that usually go for 50k on the marketboard and you need 4 of each, so that's something like 800k right there. But you can buy them with company seals for 5k each which saves you a lot of money. You can even buy them with seals to sell them on the market. Anyway this is only available at the... second highest rank? Second Lieutenant.

Haly

By Hydaelyn, I have encountered cases of cancer caused directly by tiny hats.

Edzi

Talk to the... OIC guy? And go for Promotions when possible.

If you need a seal dump, Ventures are pretty good if you're actually using your retainers.

Uh, up your rank so you can have more seals in case you ever need things that require higher rank or more seals.

Will do. I've honestly just ignored Grand Companies in general, so I never really understood what they were to begin with.

theosi

Hey GAF,

Recently resubbed and just finished up the original HW content (soo good) and i'm feeling a little lost with the game opening up a bit more.

What I should be focusing on in regards to armor progression. Should I be doing clan hunts for Centurio seals trade-ins? Lore trade-ins?

Currently at ilvl ~160ish, got my 235 weapon from POTD (workin on 255)

I'm also capped on Poetics, is there anything useful I can grab with them? Where are those vendors? Idyllshire?

Haly

Hey GAF,

Recently resubbed and just finished up the original HW content (soo good) and i'm feeling a little lost with the game opening up a bit more.

What I should be focusing on in regards to armor progression. Should I be doing clan hunts for Centurio seals trade-ins? Lore trade-ins?

Currently at ilvl ~160ish, got my 235 weapon from POTD (workin on 255)

I'm also capped on Poetics, is there anything useful I can grab with them? Where are those vendors? Idyllshire?
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/5p72tj/how_to_gearing_up_at_level_60_in_35/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HkWhxbEiTHXXaoTaHiCNQmVgwTXLrGchcqa3AeQCpG8/edit#

Poetics: Unidentifiable Bone/Shell/Ore/Seeds is a good poetics sink, particularly if you don't have access to the level 48 beast tribe quests. They're needed for one of the Anima steps.

Another one is Superior Enchanted Ink x 5 and Thavnairian Mist x 5, which, again is part of an Anima step.

It was funny cause my whole alliance in Dun Scaith was saying the fight is so lame. Eh, it's such a letdown but I'm used to being letdown by SE these days. Heh, at least the relic is gorgeous I guess. They significantly made the design of the BLM one better as well but I just wish the glows could change colour.

ebil

My Dun Scaith group was so bad that not only did we see every mechanic, but we killed it just a few seconds before enrage. Never underestimate the players in this game.

The body piece you can get looks nice though. I think I'll grab it next week.

*starts POTD because fuck doing a trillion sidequests to level up to 60*

Hey this is quite easy and from 1-20 I've gotten a good bit of XP.

*gets to 30 after a party of Dragoon (me), 2 Bards and a Rogue (i think) + wipe* ragequits

Man POTD is good for the exp but those resets can just make you snap :p

Edzi

*starts POTD because fuck doing a trillion sidequests to level up to 60*

Hey this is quite easy and from 1-20 I've gotten a good bit of XP.

*gets to 30 after a party of Dragoon (me), 2 Bards and a Rogue (i think) + wipe* ragequits

Man POTD is good for the exp but those resets can just make you snap :p

I'm actually really enjoying POTD, and the fact that it saves after every 10 floors means it never gets too frustrating for me.

I'm actually really enjoying POTD, and the fact that it saves after every 10 floors means it never gets too frustrating for me.

Oh, yeah, I enjoy it. Just I took the wipe as a sign to take a break for the night. Even with a wipe it's still nicer than going from A to B to C to B to A to C for a sidequest...I really hope in Stormblood they just abuse linkshells and do that WoW thing where some quest chains continue with the walkie-talkie thing. It'd just make it more convenient...

Edzi

How exactly are you expected to upgrade your armor and weapons throughout the game? I've sort of been able to coast so far because I had some lvl 30 armor gifted to me when I started playing, but I'll probably need some better stuff soon. Are you supposed to just buy gear from shops whenever you level up? Or are there quests specifically for getting armor/weapons?

How exactly are you expected to upgrade your armor and weapons throughout the game?
If you're still under level 50, buy gear from vendors (or the market board, but always check vendors first), roll on loot from dungeons, and/or pick gear as your quest reward in those that give them.

How exactly are you expected to upgrade your armor and weapons throughout the game? I've sort of been able to coast so far because I had some lvl 30 armor gifted to me when I started playing, but I'll probably need some better stuff soon. Are you supposed to just buy gear from shops whenever you level up? Or are there quests specifically for getting armor/weapons?
You're in Coerthas right? You should have had plenty of Stoey quests by now that offer gear upgrades. Are you choosing them as rewards?

Bowlie

Banned

Usually you'd go to sidequests to get better armors for your current level while you're leveling up.

Up until level 50, you can use your Grand Company seals to buy nice armor at your Grand Company Quartermaster. At level 50, the main quests give you some pretty good armor, but after that the gear is found in sidequests again.

If you're not doing sidequests or saving GC seals, dungeons give good equipment for all levels.

iammeiam

Don't worry about it until 60. Gear up with dungeon drops as you go; they patched the ARR quests in general to hand you more gear than you'll ever need. You level through stuff so quickly on the path to 50 that buying anything is kind of a waste, and you'll get handed gear high enough level to carry you into Heavensward as part of the job/main story quests. You generally want to be within 10 iLevels of your character level while leveling, but it's not a huge deal.

The only possible exception is if you're tanking, it might be worth making sure you keep your weapon fairly current to help make holding threat easier when you don't have all your skills. But beyond that, don't sweat it.

SkyOdin

There are a bunch of different ways. You can buy gear from vendors, but HQ crafted gear or dungeon drop armor is generally better. I leveled Armorsmith alongside Gladiator, so I never wanted for gear. However, dungeon dropped armor lasts for a good length of time. A level 30 set of dungeon armor is slightly better than a level 35 set of vendor-bought armor. If you get lucky, you can keep up on equipment pretty decently with dungeon drops.

Other good, if inconsistent, sources for armor and weapons are the Grand Company vendors. They don't give full sets all the time, but you can get some decent armor, weapons, and accessories at a wide range of levels for 1-50 content. If you are playing a mage or other lighter-armored class, the level 20 GC uniform is pretty decent gear til you reach level 30 or so.

Guildleves can also be a source of armor. They can give some NQ armor as rewards, but you also have a chance to get Aetherial armor from the random chests.

You can get a full set of level 15 armor just from doing the training hall quests in Western La Noscea.

Importantly, you get a great set of armor from your Job questline at level 45 and 50. That is what served as the original entry-level endgame gear at launch, when paired with the level 50 GC weapon.

As other people have said though, the main scenario quests give plenty of armor to gear your first class. It doesn't hurt to grab some dungeon drops for any alternate jobs you want to level in the future though. The level 15 dungeon armor and level 30 Brayflox armor lasted me across a lot of jobs.

Haly

Usually the "merchants and menders" NPCs in whatever town hub you're in will sell level appropriate gear for that zone. For example, if you're level 30 you'd shop in costa del sol. Wineport for 35. Maybe Dragonhead or Whitebrim for 40?

Bowlie

Banned
I unlocked the Umbrite relic step that just got nerfed, and through the internet I saw some people talking about farming Amber Vilekin for the Sand via levequests, and some others saying that such method was not working for them.

Could anyone please confirm if it is a viable approach?

Haly

Seeing mechanics on Diabolos Hollow I've never seen.

Wiping 3 times to Diabolos.

Proto-Ultima made people stupid.

I unlocked the Umbrite relic step that just got nerfed, and through the internet I saw some people talking about farming Amber Vilekin for the Sand via levequests, and some others saying that such method was not working for them.

Could anyone please confirm if it is a viable approach?

It comes down to luck with treasure chests really. I ended up spamming 'Dance, Magic Dance' and only got 11 chests from all 100 leve allowances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom