• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
Is there any reason to do them other than for exp? Cool story stuff?

Yup. Hard mode for dungeons is not "exact same dungeon, but harder". You go to new places inside the location, fight new enemies, new bosses, and the dungeon "storyline" continues.

As above, Tam-Tara HM is pretty great.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Definitely do Tam-Tara Deepcroft hard.

The lore for that particular dungeon is awesome and plays a major role in Palace of the Dead.

I'd also say definitely do Haukke Manor Hard too. Great atmosphere, great music, plus the potential for Manor Varnish drops, which sell for a shitload on the market.

Heavensward spoilers

http://i.imgur.com/u5V6kHz.jpg

I can't believe they actually killed off Haurchefant. He was one of the few decent Ishardians. I just hope his death actually sticks this time, after that death scene, unlike Nanamo

The story has been reinforcing over and over that he's dead dead dead, down to the most recent story patch, so I would be shocked if the writers decided to reverse course and somehow bring him back to life.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are Poetics effectively pointless to grind then if I'll be getting better gear via Heavensward?
Beast tribes quests rewarding 5 Tomestones each just doesn't seem worth it...

Not pointless. There's things you can buy with them that are used in the Anima quest.

Are Poetics effectively pointless to grind then if I'll be getting better gear via Heavensward?
Beast tribes quests rewarding 5 Tomestones each just doesn't seem worth it...

The i120 Ironworks gear you can buy with poetics is better than anything you'll get in HW until about 1/3rd of the way through the MSQ.

Plus its still one of the best looking armor sets in the game for most classes.

Heartfyre

Proto Ultima is definitely way better than the succubus, but...I had a different expectation for its inclusion. I hope their idea for adding Ozma EX isn't just to modify the original fight.

Overall, it was a rather uninspiring patch day. It's left up to Zhloe and the Diadem to intrigue me now.

I'm thinking of resubbing. Problem is it's been so long I don't remember what's going on in the story. Is there a primer I can read in game to catch up?

I'm thinking of resubbing. Problem is it's been so long I don't remember what's going on in the story. Is there a primer I can read in game to catch up?

Your options in-game would be to watch cutscenes in an inn room, and/or reading completed quest descriptions in your journal. Depending on how much you've forgotten, these methods might not be very time efficient.

Squishy3

Proto Ultima is definitely way better than the succubus, but...I had a different expectation for its inclusion. I hope their idea for adding Ozma EX isn't just to modify the original fight.

Overall, it was a rather uninspiring patch day. It's left up to Zhloe and the Diadem to intrigue me now.
I thought the succubus was a good fight. Proto Ultima's kinda meh because he's just like every other fight in the game, Succubus was at least kinda different.

Lanrutcon

I like Proto Ultima, but I'd like it more if the entire fight was the batshit amount of explosions he triggers at 35%. Make the entire fight about shit blowing up and scrambling to hide from the blast waves. Go crazy.

Sorian

Banned
I like Proto Ultima, but I'd like it more if the entire fight was the batshit amount of explosions he triggers at 35%. Make the entire fight about shit blowing up and scrambling to hide from the blast waves. Go crazy.

That's how it was at fan fest not sure why they treated it like garbage for the real release.

Alfebit

Banned
TINY HATS

UehPnlh.jpg

Kenai

The holiday event is pretty good. I was kinda worried since the last few have been so short, but it was nice. Awesome rewards too, clothes dye really well and the emote is ace.

hit 60 and got to 40 on PoTD.

Will either do final MSQ dungeon or continue with PoTD later in the eternal grind for better gear...or dabble in Horizon. or forget I have DnD today :/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I HAET THIS FUCKING STUPID PVP GAME JESUS FUCK IT'S UTTERLY UNPLAYABLE I CAN NEVER FIGURE OUT WHATS HAPPENING

Hmmmm really? Then I will reconsider putting points into attack stuff.

Don't. Put everything in Healing and Healing only. That's what most people do and for a reason. The attacks of the chocobo are insignificant, and while them tanking is a little useful, they get killed pretty easily. They don't get killed when they are healers. I put three points in tanking and regret it. I just learned right now that I can respec it; which I will do. I'll put everything in healing.

welldone we did the quests guys woo now go all the way back to the guild to reconfirm what we all just did so i can give you the reward/xp is rather annoying haha

Also because Im boucning all over ive got no idea where I should be as a 23 rogue, I guess aleport but north or something for my hunting log??

ebil

Nothing really new here, but Yoshida soft-confirmed what I was saying yesterday about a third raiding difficulty. At this point it's safe to say we're not getting it, but it's also nice to read that we'll be getting something to progress on during odd patches.

I really welcome the addition of challenging content in odd patches because even though I love alliance raids, the fact that we never get anything challenging for raiders during these is kind of a bummer.

Yoshida: After thorough discussing we decided to stay with the Normal-Savage formula. However, with the release of new jobs, there’s a higher chance that items that drop directly won’t be for the jobs of the party members, so we plan on making some changes for the drop system. We also plan on implementing something for players who have finished the 4th tier of the raid in the odd numbered patches. What we will implement exactly, we will tell you at a later time.
Source: http://gamerescape.com/2017/03/01/gamewatch-interview-with-yoshida-details-on-4-0/

ebil

Man, apparently they want to change the direct drop system to something where only items for jobs you have in the party will drop. I have mixed feelings about it: on the one hand, it means that we'll never do our first 8 clears with 6 useless weapons ever again, on the other hand I'm glad I could gear up my ninja with spare drops while playing a healer.

Arkeband

Banned

My personal room is a dark room filled to capacity with tonberries because there was no other use for seals for a whole patch cycle.

I was aiming for youarealreadydead.gif when people enter.

Oh 3rd difficulty isn't happening? Okay, but still make the next Omega tiers better than creator at least.....

I still don't like Normal mode being something you can bang out in a couple hours and then Savage being purely gear for the sake of doing Savage, but it sounds like they're adding more incentive to clear each wing.

Hmm Ive done the retainers quest but then when I speak to the person in Limosa it says I have 0 and cant hire one and I have none in my employ?
edit:
Users will not be able to hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.

Damn it... I have a copy now but i still have 5 days worth of time and im away all weekend which would be a waste of days

draw4wild

So one question, in ARR, I never got to experience the Bahamuts coil storyline since I only ever did turns 1 and 2 and to clear the other turns you pretty much needed a static.

In Heavensward, all gear guides seem to mention doing Alexander weekly. Did they make normal mode of the raids more accessible to the player base and savage for the Hardercore? Is Alexander something I can just duty finder into and get a clear easily? This is more for experiencing all the content and story as I'm not worried about gear this late in the expansions lifecycle. Just like how I would like to eventually do Bahamuts coil unsynced to see all the story.

So one question, in ARR, I never got to experience the Bahamuts coil storyline since I only ever did turns 1 and 2 and to clear the other turns you pretty much needed a static.

In Heavensward, all gear guides seem to mention doing Alexander weekly. Did they make normal mode of the raids more accessible to the player base and savage for the Hardercore? Is Alexander something I can just duty finder into and get a clear easily? This is more for experiencing all the content and story as I'm not worried about gear this late in the expansions lifecycle. Just like how I would like to eventually do Bahamuts coil unsynced to see all the story.

Yes, the full Alexander story is very easy to just DF and clear with random people. You should have no difficulties with it.

iammeiam

I am going to approach mystery odd patch content with, I guess, skeptical optimism. Could be fantastic, but the vagueness has me worried it'll slip and turn into the ego glamour of 4.0. New content is fantastic, I just figured third difficulty would be cheaper and less resource intensive.

Man, apparently they want to change the direct drop system to something where only items for jobs you have in the party will drop. I have mixed feelings about it: on the one hand, it means that we'll never do our first 8 clears with 6 useless weapons ever again, on the other hand I'm glad I could gear up my ninja with spare drops while playing a healer.

It's also rough for situations where people jobswap between floors--PLD for 9-11 and DRK for 12 was super common this tier, and the DRK sword from 12S is baaaaad, so that was a situation where we actively wanted the shield and sword despite not having the job in the party. It took 16 12S clears for our monk to be BiS, but he started trying the floor on DRG sooner because it was better for the group and didn't derail his shot at main loot. I was going to say just let people pick a loot spec and then have the pool pull from it, but that'd be incredibly open to manipulation (have everyone set loot spec to DRG for a given floor to force maiming drops.) Maybe make it an option when you queue in? So while everyone's still gearing up you get useful, and when you're ready for alt loot you risk the full pool.

Alex story is for everyone and easily DFable.

Despite the rose colored memories of Coil as super accessible to all, only like 15% of the active playerbase cleared Final Coil pre-echo, so they introduced an easier tier so the work put into the raid wasn't restricted to a minority of the playerbase.

aceface

Yeah this doesn't feel like a whole new tier to me, the read I'm getting based on nothing is that it will be one or two new "Extreme" (or whatever comes after savage) battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom