• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Despite the rose colored memories of Coil as super accessible to all, only like 15% of the active playerbase cleared Final Coil pre-echo, so they introduced an easier tier so the work put into the raid wasn't restricted to a minority of the playerbase.

"Only" 15%.
That somehow seems like an actually huge number for an MMO.

draw4wild

I wonder what the FCoB clear rates would be if it wasn't locked behind beating Nael

This makes me glad they added an easier tier of difficulty. I didn't like the fact they added a significant storyline (and the only story I was interested in coming from 1.0) that was locked behind some of the hardest fights in the game.

iammeiam

"Only" 15%.
That somehow seems like an actually huge number for an MMO.

Maybe? But in the post-Alexander era people repaint Coil as something everyone was doing and clearing, when in reality any discussion of raiding is squabbling between a minority of the community. Nobody involved is actually arguing for the majority, we're all just repping our segments of the minority. Alex Normal is still one of the best design decisions they've made in general, they just failed to capitalize on it in any way. But the trend of actually taking the raid story to a point where everyone could get to it was a solid decision.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Maybe? But in the post-Alexander era people repaint Coil as something everyone was doing and clearing, when in reality any discussion of raiding is squabbling between a minority of the community. Nobody involved is actually arguing for the majority, we're all just repping our segments of the minority. Alex Normal is still one of the best design decisions they've made in general, they just failed to capitalize on it in any way. But the trend of actually taking the raid story to a point where everyone could get to it was a solid decision.

Alex Normal should be unlocked in odd patches. Its existence created more problems than it solved. By being a tier of gear on its own it forces previous gear set to be invalidated immediately. Which is bad. And then there's the question of storyline motivation.

iammeiam

Alex Normal should be unlocked in odd patches. Its existence created more problems than it solved. By being a tier of gear on its own it forces previous gear set to be invalidated immediately. Which is bad. And then there's the question of storyline motivation.

The rapid invalidation of prior tier gear is a feature, not a bug. Crafted gear hits at the same iLevel and having that middle tier exist eliminates the penalty for starting raiding/returning from a hiatus at the start of a raid tier. It's a reset, but it's one that I think exists because they wanted it, not because story mode forced it. Primal weapons fall into the same thing, and those aren't a new concept at all--Sophia immediately made having i245 weapons meaningless. Whether or not the reset is popular is one thing, but things were designed to hit that as a goal, it wasn't an unplanned problem.

duckroll

Today's progress:

- Cleared a gazillion Coerthas quests
- The entire plotline was fucking awesome
- Cleared Stone Vigil
- Maybe the best boss fight yet, loved the patterns, more fun than Titan :p

- Got Heavy Thrust+ at lvl40, can finally string my attacks without having to reset HT too much!!!
- Got the stun Jump attack from the Dragoon quest at lvl40

- Completed the seasonal event
- My head is small enough that it doesn't look like a tiny hat, TAKE THAT!!!!

duckroll

I also did the optional Cutter's Cove dungeon which featured the CHIMERA boss at the end. And it reminded me of an oldie: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448493

ryKCR.jpg

Remember this?! Wow what a bullshot! Lol. (Also that thread has amazing gems of replies and hot takes from everyone including me! :p)

hope everyone chose Masha, truly best idol

I chose Narumi because she's Au Ra like me. Racism. :(

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The rapid invalidation of prior tier gear is a feature, not a bug. Crafted gear hits at the same iLevel and having that middle tier exist eliminates the penalty for starting raiding/returning from a hiatus at the start of a raid tier. It's a reset, but it's one that I think exists because they wanted it, not because story mode forced it. Primal weapons fall into the same thing, and those aren't a new concept at all--Sophia immediately made having i245 weapons meaningless. Whether or not the reset is popular is one thing, but things were designed to hit that as a goal, it wasn't an unplanned problem.

It's more like... alright, have crafted gear be the same level as raid gear. Fine. But say if I had midan BiS, I shouldn't have to plop down 25 mil to a crafter to get myself up to speed and waste time with Sophia if I wanted to raid.

Of course Refurbisher is tuned for 240 but let's not talk about that

iammeiam

It's more like... alright, have crafted gear be the same level as raid gear. Fine. But say if I had midan BiS, I shouldn't have to plop down 25 mil to a crafter to get myself up to speed and waste time with Sophia if I wanted to raid.

Of course Refurbisher is tuned for 240 but let's not talk about that

I completely understand the objection to the expanded iLevel leaps each tier; it's mostly I think this is what they wanted to do and Normal let them do it vs Normal needing gear drops cornering them into a scenario where they did it on accident.

This is also where I root for whatever the odd numbered patch hard content is offering gear equivalent to the crafted/normal of the next tier, while simultaneously knowing if they tried it a giant chunk of the playerbase would riot.

Village

Au Ra are dope, the best and born looking like a dragon satan, that is true.

But if there was a ROE girl in that group, she would get choose

sweatpwhipe.jpg

Redx508

nice find duckroll http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448493

Mind blown. Everything looks amazing except for two things:

1. Paid subscription in Nov-Dec 2011? WAY too early.
2. Version 2.0 and PS3 Launch Q4 2012 - Q1 2013? WAY too late.

Don't worry guys, this will be FTP again in a year.

Too bad it will still play worse than White Knight Chronicles.

That screenshot and the art looks really awesome, but I'm not going to pay for a subscription until then. Asking for a sub now is really weird...

If 2.0 came out tomorrow i doubt it will save them, the games reputation is in tatters. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I know alot of you guys don't care about Metacritic, but alot of people see that 49 and will ignore the game altogether. I assume the only reason people are playing is because its been free up until this point.

That screenshot looks like a clusterfuck.

F2P is where the money is for all the but the biggest MMOs. They're never going to be successful on a subscription model.

Last time I checked, FFXIII sold over 5 million copies, has a 8.0+ metacritic score, and was voted by players in Famitsu to be one of the best games in the series....

FFXVI sold under a million, has a horrendous metacritic score, and has taken a year to become a playable game.

Yeah, great analogy there. FFXIII haters are always entertaining....

this is a good one view the post.
Lets see why FFXIV-2.0 will still be dead on arrival.
  1. It still has a "XIV" in it's tittle, and after the release of FFXIV-1.0 the number XIV has become synonymous with "Shit" in the FF universe. They could make a master game, but if they name it "Final Shit", nobody is going to buy it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
GameWatch: The city of Kugane seems as huge as Ishgard. Will it be split into multiple areas?

Yoshida: We have split the big cities into two areas up until now, which made navigation and movements quite a pain. This time we have created only one zone, while maintaining the size. We also had some fun with the city, so when you’re done with adventuring, be sure to go around the city and look for those aspects (laugh).

http://gamerescape.com/2017/03/01/gamewatch-interview-with-yoshida-details-on-4-0/

pN6WXyV.jpg

XB0rXih.jpg

T6KI8Eo.gif

Pachimari

Only got two MSQs left at lvl 46, and then I'll PotD up to lvl 49 in which I'll take care of the last MSQs. The story and lore are sooooooo good , I'm really loving Eorzea. I liked Ishgard a lot too, but Mor Dhona is being brought down by all them annoying frogs.

Only got two MSQs left at lvl 46, and then I'll PotD up to lvl 49 in which I'll take care of the last MSQs. The story and lore are sooooooo good , I'm really loving Eorzea. I liked Ishgard a lot too, but Mor Dhona is being brought down by all them annoying frogs.
*Tries to run past*
STICKY TONGUE

Let me do my fetch quests in peace.

Thorgal

nice find duckroll http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448493

this is a good one view the post.

While at first i wanted to lol at those posts the worry or skepticism was not really that unfounded back then .

taking an almost universally panned MMO , taking it off the servers for a year rebuilding it on a new engine and then re re releasing it with a paid sub model at a time where every single MMO either went FTP or B2P was unheard off .

Let alone in thinking it would become one of the most popular MMO's that is now getting its second expansion .

Squishy3

You know, with both Minagawa and Yoshida working hard on FFXIV, and with all the effort and money and time going into remaking FFXIV into a successful product, it could well be that FFXIV 2.0 is the closest we will ever get to seeing what is essentially a FFXII MMO. I hope they actually get if off the ground eventually. I'll like to play it.

duckroll what kind of wizard are you, what black magic did you work to get matsuno to work on this game

kromeo

Hmm Ive done the retainers quest but then when I speak to the person in Limosa it says I have 0 and cant hire one and I have none in my employ?

Damn it... I have a copy now but i still have 5 days worth of time and im away all weekend which would be a waste of days

Now that's a familiar name, did you used to post on the old dubstep forum? Pretty sure I remember you mentioning FFXI a few times

Arkeband

Banned
Considering how often people are sent back through/congregate in the original three cities, they should really revisit them and combine both halves of each if all the new cities are going to be joined as well.

Good MMO's are as seamless as possible.

Squishy3

Considering how often people are sent back through/congregate in the original three cities, they should really revisit them and combine both halves of each if all the new cities are going to be joined as well.

Good MMO's are as seamless as possible.
Unless they're already planning some sort of rework for them as part of some greater redesign that's just effort and manpower that can be directed elsewhere, though. They were separated because of PS3, and thus only "exist" in that state. It would probably be easier to do it for say, Gridania and Uldah though as they're largely flat and Uldah only has 2 levels to it with only a few loading points (and only one leading up to the second floor.)

Arkeband

Banned
Unless they're already planning some sort of rework for them as part of some greater redesign that's just effort and manpower that can be directed elsewhere, though. They were separated because of PS3, and thus only "exist" in that state. It would probably be easier to do it for say, Gridania and Uldah though as they're largely flat and Uldah only has 2 levels to it with only a few loading points (and only one leading up to the second floor.)

MMO maintenance isn't always adding more and more stuff ad nauseum, often they do need to go back through and do housekeeping of earlier content - especially since the old cities are still heavily used. One of the best things WoW did was updating the entire world with Cataclysm.

It's a problem they're running into now where 1-50 is such a drag that they're going to resort to selling 'skip potions' to get past it. If a little bit of effort was spent touching up old areas as they go, the need for such drastic solutions wouldn't be so dire.

Squishy3

MMO maintenance isn't always adding more and more stuff ad nauseum, often they do need to go back through and do housekeeping of earlier content - especially since the old cities are still heavily used. One of the best things WoW did was updating the entire world with Cataclysm.

It's a problem they're running into now where 1-50 is such a drag that they're going to resort to selling 'skip potions' to get past it. If a little bit of effort was spent touching up old areas as they go, the need for such drastic solutions wouldn't be so dire.
But even Cataclysm didn't touch all the areas in WoW, I mean, granted, Eorzea isn't as big as WoW was, but FF14's problem isn't even necessarily the leveling, it's the MSQ structure in ARR, which would require significant reworking and actively take away from development for new content, especially at this point in time.

iammeiam

It's also worth noting WoW made levelling incredibly streamlined and easy and still sells level boosts/bundles them with expansions. It was sub 10 hours to get an alt to 100 in the legion pre-event if you abused it right, IIRC. There will always be a market for boosts because everyone values their time differently.

Please carry my WAR through A9S and A10S. My new main. If only Angary could carry my carcass through this raid tier I skipped after retirement.

I already did that with a retired WAR this tier. It cost him his house, his connections to the community, Literally All His Gil, and probably whatever self respect he had.

Unsure if worth, but the mount is pretty cool so I'm pretending it balances.

Jayhawk

I already did that with a retired WAR this tier. It cost him his house, his connections to the community, Literally All His Gil, and probably whatever self respect he had.

Unsure if worth, but the mount is pretty cool so I'm pretending it balances.

I'm a retired NIN/MNK. WAR is now my highest ilvl job for some reason.

:thinking:

Arkeband

Banned
But even Cataclysm didn't touch all the areas in WoW, I mean, granted, Eorzea isn't as big as WoW was, but FF14's problem isn't even necessarily the leveling, it's the MSQ structure in ARR, which would require significant reworking and actively take away from development for new content, especially at this point in time.

Even accepting this 'working on one thing takes away from another thing' (despite them having a bigger team and more funding than ever), I'd be satisfied with them spending dev time futureproofing their old stuff, because what they figure out there will propagate forward. Take people off whatever their next Diadem flop will be if they're low on warm bodies.

There's gonna be stuff in HW that people find obnoxious grinding through to get to 4.0 once SB is out, because the quest structure is basically the same, just with better production value in cutscenes. This is an as-of-yet unsolved issue that is going to continue piling up as the game gets longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom