• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Jump Festa Active Time Report information + video

I agree with you on culture, but Vanille and Hope's cringe worthy dialogue is not a reflection of a good narrative. I hope the same mistakes can be avoided this time around.
It doesn't reflect the need of NA input either.

Bad writing is bad writing, got nothing to do with the region the game was made in. American devs write garbage as well.

SeanTSC

I really hope they fix the REAL issue with Final Fantasy. The ham fisted, over the top, and completely detestable characterizations and plot. Vanille, Hope- fuck it- 80% of the cast of FFXIII was insufferable.

To add further insult, two of the biggest opposing forces in the game were given names that sounded almost exactly alike. FaL'cie and L'Cie. By the time half the game was over, I had no idea what was going on. I beat the second, and was more lost than the first one after reading a Wiki article. I didn't bother with the third.

The art in this looks amazing, but the VA is rubbing me the wrong way. It's like the designers are making this game for 12 year olds and playing up every stereotype imaginable. C'mon SE -_-.

Heh, my girlfriend hates Vanille more than I thought any person could possibly ever hate a fictional character. Personally, Vanille's voice was the biggest problem for me. The constant accent switching combined with how annoying she sounded to begin with just grated on my ears badly.

I've never understood the Hope hate though - he's little kid who got dragged into a war with his mother caught in the crossfire. He had every right to be an angsty little shit. And then he totally redeemed himself in FF13-2 and I really enjoyed grown up Hope and thought he matured into a good character. I still need to finish Lightning Returns though, ended up like 6 days in and just got so bored.

So far the none of the VA here really bugs me except Noctis. But it's hard to tell how much of that is just the fault of it being a dub over a trailer. The "directing" of him feels a bit off.

thuway

It doesn't reflect the need of NA input either.

Bad writing is bad writing, got nothing to do with the region the game was made in. American devs write garbage as well.

Your right. I agree. I am just salty after being burned with FFXIII and the Final Fantasy 7 troll.

Dark_castle

Most of the "dialogue" from the main cast so far were more like banter. As in chat or light conversations which are not directly to the main scenario but serves to provide small insights to their situation (like seeing the huge Adamantoise) or their character. Some of you seem to hate it, I don't mind it at all.

We can't judge the main scenario writing until it's out there.

wmlk

Most of the "dialogue" from the main cast so far were more like banter. As in chat or light conversations which are not directly to the main scenario but serves to provide small insights to their situation (like seeing the huge Adamantoise) or their character. Some of you seem to hate it, I don't mind it at all.

We can't judge the main scenario writing until it's out there.

There literally was no story related dialogue in this trailer.

Zafir

Heh, my girlfriend hates Vanille more than I thought any person could possibly ever hate a fictional character. Personally, Vanille's voice was the biggest problem for me. The constant accent switching combined with how annoying she sounded to begin with just grated on my ears badly.

I've never understood the Hope hate though - he's little kid who got dragged into a war with his mother caught in the crossfire. He had every right to be an angsty little shit. And then he totally redeemed himself in FF13-2 and I really enjoyed grown up Hope and thought he matured into a good character. I still need to finish Lightning Returns though, ended up like 6 days in and just got so bored.

So far the none of the VA here really bugs me except Noctis. But it's hard to tell how much of that is just the fault of it being a dub over a trailer. The "directing" of him feels a bit off.
Yeah, I can't stand Vanille. The rest I can tolerate to varying degrees though. Hope's fine until late in XIII where he starts constantly trying to boost everyone's moral every 5 seconds. Absolutely jarring when you consider he was trying to kill Snow just hours ago...

I dunno, I doubt I'll hate characters in this. I still absolutely hate Ignis' voice though. Which is a shame, I thought I might like him as a character.

What I love is that this kind of attention and graphical fidelity is being given to what seems one of the smaller towns in the game. Imagine what the big cities will be like?

ys6HA1A.png

I... I'm not used to getting hype about Final Fantasy. Som..someone hold me.

Foffy

Banned
Not a fan of this resting system at all and being punished by not engaging in it. I guess a current comparison would be using bonfires to level up in Dark Souls? You didn't get negative effects for bailing on it, though. :/

Well there is no way this is getting finished next year, so late 2016, maybe only in Japan.

Is there a specific reason why a lot of people say maybe only in Japan?

Haven't the past few FF games been global day releases? And wouldn't it be in SE's interest to do global releases?

Mifec

Is there a specific reason why a lot of people say maybe only in Japan?

Haven't the past few FF games been global day releases? And wouldn't it be in SE's interest to do global releases?

Nope they release in Japan in December mostly then a few months after in the rest of the world.

Cindy (or Cidney in Japanese) doesn’t have much to do with the story, but she’s a mechanic who’ll talk to you about gameplay. While we still don’t know exactly what kind of mechanic she is, she’ll appear in the demo. Square Enix’s male staff members have been putting a lot of effort into creating her.

That's a very odd thing to go into detail, dont you think? And yes she's impossibly hot so good job I guess.

Could someone write down what she said in the trailer exactly? I have trouble to understand what she said after her name. I think I heard the word "mechanic" but everything else is too muffled and weirdly sound mixed.

wmlk

That's a very odd thing to go into detail, dont you think? And yes she's impossibly hot so good job I guess.

Could someone write down what she said in the trailer exactly? I have trouble to understand what she said after her name. I think I heard the word "mechanic" but everything else is too muffled and weirdly sound mixed.

Cindy and head mechanic.

Cindy and head mechanic.

Thanks.

The sound mix in this trailer is all over the place. It may have something to do that english isn't my native language but I had trouble understanding many-a-dialogue in this trailer because of voices being too low volumed compared to the music/sound effects.

sublimit

Banned
What, what happened?

The town in the trailer is shown in a seamless fashion; however, at the current stage, Square Enix can’t say for sure whether the entire game will be seamless.

One day in Final Fantasy XV is the equivalent of a real-life hour, so a day lasts for about 40 to 45 minutes, and the rest is night. This bit is currently in development, so it’s subject to change.

At the moment, Square Enix are working on adding more action varieties, and they feel that magic isn’t looking too impressive, so they’re not showing it. They need to work on it, but they’ll do that after they’re done with the Summoned Beasts.

At first, they decided on only having Noctis use magic, but they felt that it wouldn’t be as fun gameplay wise, so they’re changing it up a bit so that everyone in the party can use magic.

The full-release version will look nicer, and will have more people walking around. If you go near them, you’ll also get to hear them speaking.

These (IMO) are all indicating that the game is still in an early development phase.Even at this point they keep changing fundamental gameplay aspects like which party mambers will be using magic.I think the game still has around 2 years in development ahead of it.

Really hoping for a 2015 release in Japan, oh man can't wait.

My best case scenario was a very late 2015 jp launch and early 2016 for the rest but the more I read about its progress the more I realize I may have been too positive.

Which is crazy to think that the game might actually come out 10 fucking years after it was initially unveiled.

wmlk

I'm just happy knowing it's in active, seemingly smooth development now.

You can really see the work SE puts in when each new footage looks much better than the preceding one. There's actual progress.

But on reflection, surely the hype train for FFXV is more promising than XIII? Anyone who can remember the pre-XIII hype, please confirm?
I've been an FF fan since the 90s but I personally wasn't very hyped for FF13. I did pay $80 for the Advent Children Blu Ray that came with the FF13 demo to try (mostly for bragging rights among my friends) but otherwise, I didn't invest a whole lot of mindshare into it before it came out.

I could say the same for XII (that I wasn't incredibly hyped) which turned out to be a much better game.

XV on the other hand.......... I haven't been this excited for a videogame since I was a teenager.

UberTag

"Cidney" still works ok in English if you ask me, and makes more sense in terms of the reference. I hope they consider keeping it for the localisation.
I'd prefer Sydney... but otherwise, I'm not going to quibble too much.

I'm not getting hyped until this is actually released. I'm still not sold on the combat.
Ditto. But that won't stop a lot of other folks from already heralding this as "the savior of JRPGs" as if the genre hasn't continued to thrive largely absent of meaningful Square Enix contributions for roughly the past decade.

mugwhump

These (IMO) are all indicating that the game is still in an early development phase.Even at this point they keep changing fundamental gameplay aspects like which party mambers will be using magic.I think the game still has around 2 years in development ahead of it.

Haha ok, that's pretty convincing. Honestly was kind of doubting they could deliver on their promises with a 2015 release, so this really makes me feel better.

I've been an FF fan since the 90s but I personally wasn't very hyped for FF13. I did pay $80 for the Advent Children Blu Ray that came with the FF13 demo to try (mostly for bragging rights among my friends) but otherwise, I didn't invest a whole lot of mindshare into it before it came out.

I could say the same for XII (that I wasn't incredibly hyped) which turned out to be a much better game.

XV on the other hand.......... I haven't been this excited for a videogame since I was a teenager.

Now that is promising to hear. I really want this game to knock the critics' socks off. A lot of negative perception towards FF that needs to be remedied.

Steroyd

Looks like I'm back on the Final Fantasy hype train again, this sounds right up my alley so far, even if we take the name "Final Fantasy" out of the equation I'm reading the right things about this game.

Zafir

Not a fan of this resting system at all and being punished by not engaging in it. I guess a current comparison would be using bonfires to level up in Dark Souls? You didn't get negative effects for bailing on it, though. :/

No, I'd say they took it from the elder scrolls. You had to sleep in those to level up. Honestly they seem to be taking a lot of stuff from them. It worries me as someone who doesn't care much for Skyrim.

I suppose it could have been taken from Dark Souls too, who knows.

sublimit

Banned
Haha ok, that's pretty convincing. Honestly was kind of doubting they could deliver on their promises with a 2015 release, so this really makes me feel better.

Honestly i've waited so long that a few more years are nothing in comparison.I just want them to polish the game as much as possible and deliver a game that really holds up to the series high standards and ambition that was used to be known for (excluding last generation).

the comment regarding the male members of the team taking an extra interest in cid was awful and really obvious.

anyway, this looks to be the most interesting final fantasy since xii and despite some awful writing/acting, i am excited. i bet there won't be many towns in it though.

Bousf

So Titan-sized Titan as a summon.......they'd better test the FPS properly or there will be chaos lol

The party system looks promising enough. However, with a 40-hour story and assuming there will be times with no guest at all, I'm expecting no less than 5-6 guests for the system to be truly relevant to the game mechanics. Hopefully they'll include a wide variety of them and it would be nice if we could pick a guest of choice by talking to them during post game, that way it would add strategy (e.g. we pick an attack-based guest for an enemy with low defense or a guest focused on magic for an enemy weak to elemental attacks and so on) :D

wmlk

the comment regarding the male members of the team taking an extra interest in cid was awful and really obvious.

anyway, this looks to be the most interesting final fantasy since xii and despite some awful writing/acting, i am excited. i bet there won't be many towns in it though.

The world map shows quite a few, actually.

Soriku

There will be moments where you’ll need to go on fighting for days at a time.

Geez!

Yiazmat 50 million HP incoming. I hope the game is littered with Marks like XII.

I really wonder how summons will handle considering how big they are.

Gothos

Can someone clarify one thing for me: that titan at the end of the trailer is there to help us or it's our enemy? And is there a difference between Eidolon and titan? :)

Mr. RHC

I really hope they fix the REAL issue with Final Fantasy. The ham fisted, over the top, and completely detestable characterizations and plot. Vanille, Hope- fuck it- 80% of the cast of FFXIII was insufferable.

To add further insult, two of the biggest opposing forces in the game were given names that sounded almost exactly alike. FaL'cie and L'Cie. By the time half the game was over, I had no idea what was going on. I beat the second, and was more lost than the first one after reading a Wiki article. I didn't bother with the third.

The art in this looks amazing, but the VA is rubbing me the wrong way. It's like the designers are making this game for 12 year olds and playing up every stereotype imaginable. C'mon SE -_-.

I'm with you on this but I think they will deliver this time!

Can someone clarify one thing for me: that titan at the end of the trailer is there to help us or it's our enemy? And is there a difference between Eidolon and titan? :)

Eidolon is simply a 'naming scheme' that's used for some FF-universes. In practice, Eidolon, Guardian Force, Aeons are all the same thing, which are 'Summons.'

Titan is simply one of many summons from the Final Fantasy line of summons. It's just not as iconic as Ifrit, Shiva and Bahamut.

dramatis

the comment regarding the male members of the team taking an extra interest in cid was awful and really obvious
What can we expect? Tabata is the same guy who included a creepy stalking/spying segment in Type0, and he directed 3rd Birthday, a game where Aya Brea's clothes fly off in pieces as she takes more damage.

The sleep element has been added to further emphasize that these characters are living people, so they’ll need to get rest just like any normal human.
Those SLEEP themes just keep coming back with this title, don't they?

Pyramidbread

Neo Member
I agree with you on culture, but Vanille and Hope's cringe worthy dialogue is not a reflection of a good narrative. I hope the same mistakes can be avoided this time around.

iirc that was due to the VA directors more than anything else, they apparently insisted on keeping all the Japanese mannerisms (such as Vanille laughing at nothing), rather than adapting the voices to make more sense to the western culture.

Top Bottom