• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

hamchan

Was worth going through the secret dungeon. Black Hood makes it so I don't even pay attention to pressing square anymore, it's great. The dungeon itself was also more fun that I expected it to be since this game wasn't exactly built for platforming.

Mendrox

Wat. Aranea is not Bahamut.

Bahamut's eyelashes are just part of its design. They simply went with a more humanoid Bahamut this time around, unlike the natural or mechanical dragons of previous FF titles.

Ahh my sentence was confusing. Many people thought that Bahamut is Aranea because of these female eyelashes and that both stare at eachother for a bit a week ago, but it's obvious that she isn't him now of course. Even though he has a male voice he is now female for me because of his eyelashes.

Now he is a nobody. Without even having a trial and all. Who isn't even summonable even though you got his key. Just adds to my post before.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just finished the game. Interesting ride the whole way. Chapter 13 was ungodly stupid though. How'd that make it pass QA I'll never know. Sorry PshycoNinja. No hard feelings. Ending hit me over and over in the feels though. I am serious, I am sad for the bros. But their story is done. Let the expansion be about Aranea and Iris and Cor in the World of Ruin. That'd be epic as fuck. Otherwise I am done with these bros, so...I'm ok with just platinuming the game and moving on.

I prefer V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and XII over it. We'll see how I feel as I progress through the post game. I think it's a mid tier FF but it's a VERY good game non the less. I love Ardyn. One of the top villains in the series, because I saw his backstory concept art haha. Should have been seen in game. Would have served the plot.

My big digs about it, is how the bromance only made me feel at the end. And I kind of blame the OST for that. It hits you so good. I legit prefer Aranea to any characters in the party. She was badass as fuck, kind of morally grey and had more memorable lines that the party for me. "Less mopping, more hoping". And her reaction to Ignis having been blinded "Well that sucks" I legit loled. And how the story was choppy as fuck. Feels like 5 things happened vs a hundred for pretty much every FF since 1.

I still enjoyed the hell out of the ride. Very good game overall. Got my money's worth and then some. Them to level up, kill that level 72 fucker in Insomnia and see that 5 hour dungeon for myself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So in the guide it's written that Ifrit was the cause of the starplague and also Ardyn is his servant.

Explaining that the gods are at fault for the plague (or rather Ifrit, cause he was a traitor and released the parasyte).
wat

This explains a bit

Edit: I liked this guy's design a lot. I think the empire got shafted the hardest out of all the cut/not fleshed out stuff in the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zesh

Everything was off-screen.

Yes, the story feels very rushed, like they had to choose which events would actually get screentime. The story could've been good with more development time and the appropriate screentime afforded to key events.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The empire got hit the hardest out of everyone in this game. Which double sucks because they were so prominent in the movie.

Its like they made the entire movie and decided what it would be about but then realized the game could not fit much of that into it at all so they just cut it out, essentially making the movie pointless, they could have made the entire story about fighting against the daemons. Instead of nifleheim, it could have been the daemons breaking through the shield and overrunning the place in the game, so noctis has to run around and power up to go back and free the city from the daemons, while the source of said daemons(ardyn) constantly taunts him along his journey like he did.

Everytime you fight a boss battle it could be another daemon, with hunters occasionally helping you out as guest party members.

The game may have felt more like monster hunter without many human opponents, but that's what popular these days anyways

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have the highest hopes for Prompto's DLC. Maybe we'll get to see the empire fall?

Tcab96

Was worth going through the secret dungeon. Black Hood makes it so I don't even pay attention to pressing square anymore, it's great. The dungeon itself was also more fun that I expected it to be since this game wasn't exactly built for platforming.

Oh? What's this black hood about? Does it auto phase?

The empire got hit the hardest out of everyone in this game. Which double sucks because they were so prominent in the movie.
What this game really failed at was to have any mystery over anything going on. They point a damn light right on Ardyn as soon as possible and have you keeping an eye on him, pondering him. But the light never leaves him. They needed the empire to be fully fleshed out, with villains for us to root against. They needed us to hate them for what they did to Lucis, and make us want to stop their oppression of the world. And then in the background, they needed Ardyn. This goofy, interesting guy that seems a little off. Then we could wonder about him, and he can slowly step into the light more and more until we realize that is where the action is really coming from. Instead we got no empire, no villains except Ardyn, and a world where the empire is supposed to be big and evil, but felt no more evil or worse than Lucis itself. It was a complete failure in my eyes.

Inuhanyou

As long as the characters are done well, i don't necessarily need a mystery. We always knew Sephiroth was the main bad guy for example.

I think what they were going for with Ardyn as the dude who was always right there with the gang taunting them was a pretty good concept, but the other elements of the bad dudes needed to be shaved definitely, i didn't care at all about the king of nifleheim even though he looked badass and was supposed to be important, and everyone else was just a mook

Meowster

Can someone explain Ravus to me, I think he was the only character I really didn't get. Was he basically Luna's double agent within the Empire? There were so little scenes with him that I got confused in that cutscene with him, Luna, and Gentiana.

Can someone explain Ravus to me, I think he was the only character I really didn't get. Was he basically Luna's double agent within the Empire? There were so little scenes with him that I got confused in that cutscene with him, Luna, and Gentiana.
I thought he had a change of heart? I couldn't be sure honestly, so any clarification would be great.

As long as the characters are done well, i don't necessarily need a mystery. We always knew Sephiroth was the main bad guy for example.

I think what they were going for with Ardyn as the dude who was always right there with the gang taunting them was a pretty good concept, but the other elements of the bad dudes needed to be shaved definitely, i didn't care at all about the king of nifleheim even though he looked badass and was supposed to be important, and everyone else was just a mook
In Final Fantasy 7 it was Shinra at first, then they pulled it out and revealed Sephiroth. I'm not saying all games need this, but I really don't like the laziness of Final Fantasy XV immediately shining a light right on the guy we need to pay attention to from beginning to end. It wouldn't bother me as much if there weren't other characters to pay attention to, but Final Fantasy XV had a large cast of potential villains to take some focus away from Ardyn, and they used none of them.

He hated Noctis. Luna helping him forge the covenant was going to kill her, and this made Ravus even more upset because he didn't think Noctis was worthy of her sacrifice. He was a weak king. In the letters you find around his corpse at the end, you see that he reveals to someone (I assume Luna) that if Noctis is ever worthy he will gladly hand over Regis' sword.

Ravus is the most wasted potential in the game. Great character design, decent backstory, great rivalry setup, and it all amounts to nothing.

Meowster

He hated Noctis. Luna helping him forge the covenant was going to kill her, and this made Ravus even more upset because he didn't think Noctis was worthy of her sacrifice. He was a weak king. In the letters you find around his corpse at the end, you see that he reveals to someone (I assume Luna) that if Noctis is ever worthy he will gladly hand over Regis' sword.
This makes sense - thanks! Out of all the non-playable characters, he was probably the most interesting to me since we saw so little of him.
Ravus is the most wasted potential in the game. Great character design, decent backstory, great rivalry setup, and it all amounts to nothing.
Jihl Nabaat 2.0.

SolVanderlyn

Holy shit, I posted this in the OT. I am so sorry

Anyway, here it is in the right spot

I've decided to list the shafted characters in order of least shafted to most shafted.

Starting up, we have... RAVUS NOX FLEURET!

Luna's brother, Ravus is actually fairly omnipresent both in Kingsglaive and in the game proper. The only problem is that his motivations are never made clear (it made more sense when he was a straight up bad guy) and he, like the others, doesn't get screen time when he needs it. However, he is one of the few characters to make an appearance in the movie and the game, and he gets multiple cutscenes with him as the focus. He's also the subject of a fair amount of radio banter and newspaper clippings found throughout the world. On top of that, he gets his own boss fight and posthumously hands off Regis' sword to Noct. Ravus feels like a secondary antagonist - a Rufus Shinra - who never truly got to fulfill his purpose. Despite this, he got treated better than everyone else on this list.

Next up is... COR LEONIS!

He joins the party in the beginning of the game and then vanishes. Where did he go? What is he doing? You hear about "the marshal" throughout the rest of the game, but his absence is striking. He gets bonus points for joining the party at one point and maintaining a ghostly presence throughout the game via mentions from other characters. He apparently survived through the World of Ruin, as well.

And next on the list is... LOQI!

A high ranking soldier of the empire, he's the first true boss in the game. You blow up his magitek armor, but he returns in a sidequest later on. He has multiple speaking lines, a bombastic introduction, and a second appearance - not bad for a game where some people only show up in one cutscene.

Next up is... DINO!

Just kidding, fuck that guy. Right up there with Jared as one of the characters who got an obscene amount of overexposure.

The real next character is the emperor himself, IEDOLAS ALDERCEPT!

The main antagonist of Kingsglaive, the leader of the empire, and the supposed big bad of FFXV proper until you learn that it's Ardyn manipulating him behind the scenes. Why is he more shafted than Loqi if he got a movie to himself, as well as multiple chase sequences and a boss fight involving his daemon form? Easy - he deserved a lot more for who he was and what he represented. He is absent for most of the game and only reappears after his tragic transformation into Diablo. A very conceptually interesting character with an equally interesting fate who was relegated to the background, and quite unfairly so. Nevertheless, he shined in Kingsglaive, unlike...

PRYNA! Umbra's white counterpart died off screen. Poor doggo.

And last, and certainly least, is VERSATEL!

"Who?" You might ask. Who, indeed. This is the man responsible for daemon research, the MT troops, and the empire's head scientist. He's also Prompto's father. "WHAT!?" You say. "The game didn't even HINT at any of that?" No. No, it did not. R.I.P. important non-important old guy whose name most people won't ever know.

DING DING DING

WAIT, WHAT'S THIS? A BONUS CONTESTANT APPEARS! IIIIIIT'S.... IFRIT!

Guess what? This guy isn't Ardyn's lapdog. It's the other way around. Ifrit is a traitor to the six, and the one responsible for the Starscourge. Ardyn agrees to help him because he also wants to fuck things up as much as possible. It's likely why he was given focus in the cold open of the game and treated much more like an antagonist than the rest of the six. Where do you learn this? In the official guide, suckers!

That's my list. Some runners-up were Aranea, other empire guy that's not Loqi, and Ardyn himself (for his unimplemented backstory as the savior). In the end, though, those three got sufficient screentime and did not feel incomplete. May the DLC breathe life into some of you.

Tyaren

I was browsing this thread and I can't believe I just now realized on a very low qualy screencap that it were actually the rotting corpses of Regis, Luna and Nyx dangling above the throne:

1rS0sqK.jpg

Who is the one to the left?
This is so vile...D: I wished I had realized this when playing the game. I'd be so so much more mad and stoked to kick Ardyn's butt.

Ishida

Banned
I was browsing this thread and I can't believe I just now realized on a very low qualy screencap that it were actually the rotting corpses of Regis, Luna and Nyx dangling above the throne:

1rS0sqK.jpg

This is so vile...D: I wished I had realized this when playing the game. I'd be so so much more mad and stoked to kick Ardyn's butt.

Iedolas.

1rS0sqK.jpg

I figured that was Regis, but was that really Luna? Damn, it was really hard to tell for me. I didn't like the framing of that scene at all.

So in the guide it's written that Ifrit was the cause of the starplague and also Ardyn is his servant. Now that I see all these important tid bits... why have they released it like this? It could have been so so much better. Makes me really sad.

Man this sucks so hard, ifrits personality came through in his fight. But it didnt make sense why we were fighting him, or why ifrit would want to fight us.

Tyaren

I thought he had turned into a daemon and we defeated him in Niflheim? Afterwards he vanished. He looks pretty human there and in considerably good shape. ;)

I figured that was Regis, but was that really Luna? Damn, it was really hard to tell for me. I didn't like the framing of that scene at all.

Now that I realized that Ardyn hanged their rotting corpses as trophies for ten years in the throne room...I am apalled! The darkest FF yet. I also kinda dig it though... .__.

Peroroncino

The guy dandling on the left is Prompto's father

I've decided to list the shafted characters in order of least shafted to most shafted.

<cut>

Great post, learned a few things, shame you need an official guide to learn it tho, lol.

mil6es

I need help Gaf, I'm on the final battle with Ardyn and when I get to the second phase I.e the armiger phase, I keep getting my ass kicked....any help?

ebil

I need help Gaf, I'm on the final battle with Ardyn and when I get to the second phase I.e the armiger phase, I keep getting my ass kicked....any help?
Keep your distance, don't try to melee him or you'll eventually get one-shot. Press O to win.

Starting up, we have...
That's my list. Some runners-up were Aranea, other empire guy that's not Loqi, and Ardyn himself (for his unimplemented backstory as the savior). In the end, though, those three got sufficient screentime and did not feel incomplete. May the DLC breathe life into some of you.
Congrats. You just made me like this game even less with all of this wasted potential.

So... what the hell was the point of the Omen trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZymd6r4wGg

None of it connects with the actual story. There's no traitor nor risk of Noctis doing wrong in the game itself, so what was the point of that?
This trailer bums me out too...but I suppose that is what happens with CG trailers. They hardly connect. Look at Halo games especially. I can easily bullshit some connections between Omen trailer and the actual game..

24 hours was all I needed to sit on this game. I'm ready to checkout completely. I've finally settled on this being in my list of worst Final Fantasy games. No need to rank...it's just down there. I'm still empty and depressed how it turned out. I'm going to find something new to latch onto so I can try to forget this game. I just can't even express how bummed I am.

lewisgone

I beat the game last night. Had mixed feelings at the time but it was 5am so I pretty much just passed out as soon as I beat it and didn't give it much thought.

I've been mulling over the ending today and it's had a bigger impact on me than I expected. The story and world of FFXV had so much potential, but up until the ending it had constantly been vague on details, lacked real character development, and just generally not given a cohesive storyline, with the a number of important events happening off-screen. It was unrealistic of me to expect the ending to suddenly reverse all of that, and it didn't even try to really. But even if it wasn't a satisfying conclusion to the world of XV, it was a satisfying conclusion to the themes of it - themes of responsibility and companionship. To me at least, despite the fact that Noctis does kill Ardyn, get rid of the daemons and restore light to the world, the story is a tragedy...Noctis has to sacrifice everything to end the world of ruin. A world that has been active for 10 years, has destroyed countless lives and can't be reversed - just healed. After Luna dies, the story transforms from one about personal revenge to one of the true meaning of kingly responsibility. And seeing that play out is hard, even if the emotional connection to the characters isn't strong due to the weak script.

I just wish, wish, wish we had gotten more character development to give it some impact. When Luna died I really wanted to feel moved. But she had had no interaction with Noctis in the present - the notebook exchange was nice but when the only messages we see them write each other are as bland as they can get, it's hard to see where the love they felt for each other has come from. What is most frustrating is that the actually idea behind the story isn't bad - it was just pieced together in such a haphazard way it lost all impact and focus. Not even that much would need to be changed for it to have more impact. When Insomnia fell, the montage of Kingsglaive was terrible. Poorly-fitting music, confusing, and the lack of audio from the movie meant it just didn't feel 'real'. It could have easily been played off as a dream sequence. The CG 'Omen' trailer just felt thrown in for no purpose - wasn't it supposed to be an Omen of the King's?

I have so many thoughts about this game, after I've waited so long for it. Ultimately I'm just happy it's here, flawed as it is, so SE can move on. The unique world and gameplay have still made it one of my all-time favourite games, I'm pretty sure. As an old-school JRPG fan, it feels like a true 3D representation of the exploration in those games.

I'll sum up this random string of thoughts by saying I thought the final scene of Luna and Noctis resting on the throne was the perfect finish to the game. The relationship between them we had seen in-game meant it didn't feel earned, but it was beautiful and sad all the same. And the logo reveal blew me away.

Ishida

Banned
I thought he had turned into a daemon and we defeated him in Niflheim? Afterwards he vanished. He looks pretty human there and in considerably good shape. ;).

The way I see it, those corpses were just illusions to taunt Noctis, as a way of Ardyn of showing how he had manipulated everyone from the start (The corpses are hanged like puppets).

nOoblet16

Considering how "automatic" the driving and flying is is despite them being able to give full player control to the car. It's surprising that the Regalia Type A requires a certain degree of manual accuracy only to land.

You'll know when you try to land to access the secret dungeon. It's because of how restrictive the flying is contrasts the requirement for manual input for descending and landing. You have to manually press X to descend but you can't descend unless the game says so, infact it might even ascend you if it feels like it. Then once you descend you have to press X one more time but you have no idea how long it's take for the car to slow down after landing.

Now that I've finished and a day or so has passed I can say this...

FF15 easily has the worst narrative out of all of the FF4+ mainline games. Its absolutely insulting, especially since it appears to have had a lot of potential to be something great at some point which honestly makes it worse... we can see what this game could have been.

Almost nothing happens on-screen, and most of the things that do have no context whatsoever. It's miserable.

The gameplay is the only thing keeping this shit-pile from being dead last on my list of FF's. I wasn't expecting much from this game, and still it managed to surprise me with just how bad it could be.

SolVanderlyn

None of it connects with the actual story. There's no traitor nor risk of Noctis doing wrong in the game itself, so what was the point of that?
It shows Noctis taking the journey alone. I think (I think) it's supposed to be a vision or a representation of a premonition Regis has, and why he decides to send the bros with him to Altissia.

Also, despite my post above, I still maintain that I ended up loving this game. To sum it up:

It's not what I wanted, and I'm disappointed about its unfulfilled potential, but I like what I got anyway.

Inuhanyou

It was never supposed to. It was marketing material,a promotional trailer to sell you on rule of cool.

A concept trailer based on the concept of FF15. It had nothing to do with the actual game. Of course it was added to the game retroactively because of the overly positive reception it received.

I didn't understand why people thought it represented events in the game to begin with considering we had no real evidence of that

Mailbox

pretty sure its about a vision of noct not doing what he is destined to do. He doesn't gain the astrals blessing, he doesn't gain the ring of the lucii, and he basically directly causes the world of ruin through Ardyn's meddling.

We know now that Regis was talking to Bahamut, though the line of "you will pay for this, you know" is unexplained.

Basically, the fate Regis wanted to stop was Noctis.. well... living. Making his go with his friends and "doing what is right" ensures the world comes to peace, and Noct dies. Hence the last death Bahamut wants to see is Noctis.

On a side note: Read a few reactions on the ending, and Luna totally had to know what had to happen to Noctis at the end, right? Makes the whole thing about wanting to see each other if only for a bit ring more soundly, imo.

DING DING DING

WAIT, WHAT'S THIS? A BONUS CONTESTANT APPEARS! IIIIIIT'S.... IFRIT!

Guess what? This guy isn't Ardyn's lapdog. It's the other way around. Ifrit is a traitor to the six, and the one responsible for the Starscourge. Ardyn agrees to help him because he also wants to fuck things up as much as possible. It's likely why he was given focus in the cold open of the game and treated much more like an antagonist than the rest of the six. Where do you learn this? In the official guide, suckers!

People said this was better than XIII in terms of not being confusing, but honestly this isn't that much better. How could this not be vital info? Maybe I missed it, but I honestly didn't even understand what the Starscourge was when they started talking about it and I feel like I must have dozed during an important cutscene where they discussed it.

1rS0sqK.jpg

That's Ravus, Regis, Luna, and Nyx.

Everyone who died for Noctis.

It was never supposed to. It was marketing material,a promotional trailer to sell you on rule of cool.

A concept trailer based on the concept of FF15. It had nothing to do with the actual game. Of course it was added to the game retroactively because of the overly positive reception it received.

I didn't understand why people thought it represented events in the game to begin with considering we had no real evidence of that
I don't think this is a compelling argument. The "rule of cool" is usually invoked to explain away things like dual-wielding shotguns, things that look cool but exist within a story. That trailer being completely unrepresentative of the game is far, far, far too alike to that terrible Halo 5 marketing that we got. That's not "rule of cool," that's just misleading marketing.

SolVanderlyn

1rS0sqK.jpg

Hey, Nyx got an in game appearance after all. Cool.

Slater

Banned
I don't think this is a compelling argument. The "rule of cool" is usually invoked to explain away things like dual-wielding shotguns, things that look cool but exist within a story. That trailer being completely unrepresentative of the game is far, far, far too alike to that terrible Halo 5 marketing that we got. That's not "rule of cool," that's just misleading marketing.
Bleh I agree seems like anything that had the versus "tone" was tainted like that. Either how this wasn't representive of the game we got, or how Nomuras stuff wasn't even real gameplay just target renders

Top Bottom