• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Find A Game Only You Played (H.O.R.S.E. for Gamers)

Hero-retsuden01b.jpg

sn00zer

One more

VeAEaB2.jpg

abelkeO.jpg

Star Wars Droid Works.

Edutainment game where you build your own droids from assorted parts then put them through their paces in levels with various physics based and layout puzzles.
totally played this at a friends house....was frustrating as hell

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
For me it was Constructor

WTsBVKK.jpg

But fuck Chip's Challenge. Fuck it right in it's stupid face. Trying to play that game on your uncle's new machine when you are like 7 years old is enough to give anyone a serious fuckin complex.

edit:

I loved this game on the PS1. Never beat it tho.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
1uoeBMh.jpg

This was the first co-op game that I ever thought played well. First time I can recall sticking to cover in a game as well... i believe it was a decent amount of time before killswitch came out ... but you couldn't blind fire. Shotty was king.. natch.

Toad.T

Banned
H:
926448_62822_front.jpg

...I am ashamed.

o:
8130-CHAMPKong.jpg

I know what you're thinking, but it's a PC port, NOT the original.

r:
House_of_Tarot.jpg

So hey, remember when you got free prizes in cereal? It's kinda like that with this, but with Sega Game Gear eBay orders instead.

Brokun

1uoeBMh.jpg

This was the first co-op game that I ever thought played well. First time I can recall sticking to cover in a game as well... i believe it was a decent amount of time before killswitch came out ... but you couldn't blind fire. Shotty was king.. natch.

Totally played this.

One more

VeAEaB2.jpg

abelkeO.jpg

Star Wars Droid Works.

Edutainment game where you build your own droids from assorted parts then put them through their paces in levels with various physics based and layout puzzles.

Does the demo count? I played the crap out of that demo. I was just mesmerised by how nice it looked on my parents' Pentium MMX without any 3D Accelerator.

akira28

I could be a shit and put up old C64 small release and shareware titles....

And I may still..

But first :
hL5w4L2m.jpg

I assume there's a prize?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
775206-expendable.jpg

6376-2-expendable-a-k-a-millennium.jpg

Millenium Soldier: Expendable, or just Expendable in the US. 1998. It had shared-keyboard co-op!

Mid 90's shooting gallery game for PC, by the developers of the Super Star Wars games (they put this on the box), anime style with cutscenes.
Was an impulse buy since I never saw or heard about the game before. Game was pretty mediocre, repetitive levels, uninteresting story and okay puzzles. It did have a pretty unique charm/style, especially for the time it was released.

Mid 90's adventure game for PC. As you can see from the box, really cheap CG look. It was a point and click game played from a first person view, where you go after Santa Clause (and yes that's Rudolf the Reindeer on the cover, and you can see an evil pixie in the bottom right). The game featured gruesome deaths, but presented in a comic fashion (bit like Braindead 13), hence the "Only looks like a kids game!" on the box.
I remember being the game quite fun, but also very odd.

edit:
I'm also probably the only one around here who played Chron X. An online trading card game released in 97(!). Cyberpunk setting and cool art. I really liked this game.

I've played this! Other than the shareware version of Doom it was the only thing fun on my dad's PC. I also might have played it on mac, the apple 2, in primary school? Or something similar. It definitely had a sound file in it that said "But if you took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?". It was in the Assistant headmaster's office.

I'd need far more time to think of anything there's a chance no one has played. I do love reading the thread though, for the combination of really obscure games I've never heard of or barely remember and games like Ballz which I'd thought were pretty popular in their day (despite the fact it's dreadful).

There's this game, jumpman, on PC which I played because of the name. I doubt it's rare though because I'm sure it was free:

64jumpman.gif

A game featuring this little dude.

98a5QZp.jpg

By entering commands such as "forward 50", then "right 45", an then "forward 25" it does this

PYNhDNh.jpg
VKFA71V.jpg
Io9gQIC.jpg
and from here, you can create any type of art

It's from the Logo Foundation and it's essentially an educational bit of programming that mixes math, computer commands, and art. Might not be a game per se, since it's kind of like etchasketch with computer commands. But I would play the shit out of it when I was a tiny thing. Except I would put huge numbers in it and the turtle would go blasting off the screen. I seem to remember it being in color though.

I'm hoping that someone else has played this as well. I've been looking for any information on this for a very long time and I finally found it tonight while thinking of something I could add to the thread.

I "played" this too. Must have been around 1993/4 and we had a school trip for a full week to some activities centre where we did things like climbing, map reading, bouncing on a trampoline for a bit and learning about computers by rotating a turtle 60 degrees. I remember it being colour too; red on black. I was only ten at the time.

Uriah

Lost Eden for the PC

lost_eden_270420xku7o.jpg

I was 5 years old and had never played an adventure game in my life. It was a disaster. I never managed to get anywhere. And I recall there being a surprising lack of dinosaurs in the beginning of the game except for the pterodactyl.

eden411ug4.jpg

eden25tk06.jpg

drgambit

Banned
This:

realm_of_impossibility_ea_d7.jpg

Realm of impossibility. Used a joystick and rapid fire dongle in my c64, was dropping crosses like a muthafucker.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can I get an R??

920980_54831_front.jpg

I've played this. I remember the gate with the earth behind it, roaming around that area and the guy that talked to you constantly.

3ddinosaur-large-1.jpg

There was an old ass game I played around the same time that I can't even remember the name. All I remember is similarly walking around like in 3d dinosaur adventure only it was in a hospital and inside a body. I remember walking around inside a stomach, haven't been able to track down what it was though.

nkarafo

This Game:

1023l.jpg

Title says: "1453-1821 H ΩΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΠΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΩΣΗΣ"

1453_1821_Image_01.jpg

Its a Greek made game about 1821. Sorry for the cover, i don't have it and i couldn't find a better quality image :)

nikos

This Game:

1023l.jpg

Title says: "1453-1821 H ΩΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΠΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΩΣΗΣ"

1453_1821_Image_01.jpg

Its a Greek made game about 1821. Sorry for the cover, i don't have it and i couldn't find a better quality image :)

As a Greek person, I need to find this.

played this on the Amiga, does that count? I ended up using the god-awful keyboard that came with it as a MIDI controller for a few years until one night at a gig, overcome by it's shittiness, I pulled full-rockstar and smashed that fucker to bits.

So many games from c64 days I would list.. if I could remember the names.

edit:
This:

Realm of impossibility. Used a joystick and rapid fire dongle in my c64, was dropping crosses like a muthafucker.

sorry dude. that was super-popular in my town. and sorry Hugo's House of Horrors guy also.

There's this game, jumpman, on PC which I played because of the name. I doubt it's rare though because I'm sure it was free:

also really common growing up for me, the c64 version anyway.

tumblr_leoszz1vfF1qdlkgg.gif

H-Take 3: Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver for the PC
Hot_Wheels_Stunt_Track_Driver_Coverart.png

Stunt Track Driver quite literally defined my childhood. Completely absurd in retrospect (Really, you were just moving the car back and forth to avoid obstacles, and landing tricks) - but I spent hours on end perfecting those 8 tracks. Sandcastle was the best.

Let's Explore The Airport! with Buzzy

10240-2T.jpg

lets-explore-the-airport-1.jpg

Pretty sure I'm only gonna be able to win this with kid's games from PC...

Played it. I think it sparked my life-long fascination with airports. Additionally, the baggage-sorting game drove every member of my family to the brink of insanity.

My entry?
tPZRLRN.jpg

Men In Black : The Series, the game for GBA. First GBA game I ever played. Absolutely god-awful.

Banzai

975766.jpg

actually hoping im not the only one whos played this. it always did annoy that it didnt get a sequel.
for me on one level with jak & daxter or ratchet & clank.

T.R.A.G.%20-%20Tactical%20Rescue%20Assauls%20Group%20-%20Mission%20of%20Mercy%20[U]%20[SLUS-00813]-front.jpg

I have no idea if this game sold well or has a cult following, but I've never heard of it outside of me buying it randomly as a kid.
I'm sure others here have played it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I really, really would like to know who made these games and what the hell are they coding nowadays lol

I just got mind blew when discovered Don Mattrick was the creator of this beauty:

stunts_03.gif

uh. i remember playing this. but i couldnt figure out how to actually "play" it. i just drove around and crashed into stuff endlessly.

there's a Peter Pan storybook game for DOS made by EA*Kids -- I don't think anyone has played that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVPp6HccTY

i played it a lot. there was a lot of different options you could do. it was a lot of fun :p

voice acted too.

another game was "World Empire."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Empire

INDY 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_500:_The_Simulation

Discoveries of the Deep
http://www.mobygames.com/game/discoveries-of-the-deep

another game i played a lot but had no idea what i was doing.

Mozendo

Ok, let's try this. Quoted for size.

H

Played it.
Bought it years ago, fell in love with it with it and weeks later my cousin stole it and moved to another country. I was so god damn pissed. I called him out on stealing the game when I visited him but my mother grounded me for saying he was a liar and claimed I gave him the game. Hate my cousin so much. He also stole Gameboy SP years later and same thing happened.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Deus - Silmarils software (1996)

A hardcore survival sim developed by the same guys who did the old school dungeon crawler/first person RPG series Ishar. It came in two modes - regular and fuck you. Regular mode was only mostly difficult and played more like a traditional first person game. You had to still worry about some survival elements but were ridded of the field surgery and advanced health problems that could occur. Simulation mode had something like 100 different ways you could die from your heart stopping to being exposed to the cold too long, various diseases which would manifest over time and infected injuries. You were equipped with only so much medicine and tools to deal with each one and if you ended up having to hack off a leg (Which had to be done methodically, by the way. Anesthetics, tourniquets, surgical laser, cauterization and rest) you would actually limp for the remainder of your painful time on that run.

I keep this box around as an example of one of the craziest concepts old school PC gaming could offer, even if it was absolutely terrible in so many ways.

Top Bottom