• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as a more or less FE newb, Valentia or Awakening (or the DS remake of the first one) ?
And is there a metaplot that warrant a play in order ?

Awakening and Valentia are both great starting points and easily available.

Don't start with Shadow Dragon.

There is no underlying plot, but some games in the past were released in pairs.

Awakening takes place 2000 years after Shadow Dragon but is its own thing with a few clever (and obvious) references.

Shadows of Valentia is a side-story to Shadow Dragon and again its own story with some subtle nods.

Shahadan

So as a more or less FE newb, Valentia or Awakening (or the DS remake of the first one) ?

Awakening is the best place to start. Also since they're going to bother us for a decade with its characters in future spin offs, might as well get familiar with them now

Thing about supports were better back in my day thoughts. Well you tend to only remember the ones that expanded the characters and did something you found interesting (that is why Canas and Renault get praised over say, Bartre) while the rest you gloss over.

Some supports go nowhere but fates and awakening can't really call it day there with marriage being a thing which is why that comes off as forced. While I've not checked amount of supports my gut feeling is there would be more than usual to give more variety to children which means you have to write supports for people with little in common.

There are few references between Shadow Dragon, Echoes and Awakening but they are more "I get that reference" rather than anything essential.

On the presentation front Echoes wins over Awakening (better animations, full voice acting as opposed to partial). On the gameplay Echoes has it's own quirks but is generally simpler due to not having the pair up system (which is extremely imbalanced in Awakening), weapon durability or weapon triangle to be concerned with. Come to think of it I don't think Echoes really has maps with surprise reinforcements in (though Awakening telegraphs these pretty well with dialogue).

I hear normal difficulty Awakening can get insultingly easy at times and many players are left in a lurch where they find hard too hard but normal too dull whereas normal difficulty echoes the reviews I read had difficulty in the later parts.

The turnwheel in echoes might be beginner friendly. It allows you to go back a few turns rather than restarting a map if something doesn't go to your liking. You can't use it that much but it seems like a kinder prospect.

In terms of map design neither are anything to write home about and you're not seeing the pinnacle of the franchise (but even praised entries like Conquest and Thracia 776 have some terrible gimmick maps).

As I said earlier in the thread most Fire Emblem games work as an entry point. Most players started with Blazing Blade (simply called Fire Emblem over here) or Awakening as those were the first English games on their respective systems.

The problem with Shadow Dragon is it is a fairly dry remake of the original game as far as the total amount of dialogue goes so you're stuck with a 1990 plot with no support conversations and very little dialogue. The graphics also feel really generic.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Who hurt you? Let Wrys heal you.

Anyone who wants to read reviews about the game and share their insights about them are entirely capable of doing just that with what I posted. Like other review threads, I've shared a number of select publications with summaries and also linked to Metacritic/Gamerankings for everything else since I thought it'd be better not to bloat the OP with every review under the sun but still provide some convenience to find any others without needing to dig through this thread.

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't failed in providing a sufficient review thread, because there's been plenty of discussion and comments about the reviews here since this thread started and not one of you were complaining that I wasn't updating the OP until well after the fact and only after I openly denied one person here who had the gall to ask me to add their own review.

In fact, the only people I've noticed who have specifically requested that I add any additional reviews to the OP are the very journalists themselves, both in this thread and in unsolicited private messages. And to be frank, I'm not interested in spending my time doing people these kinds of favors, and I would hope that my interest or lack thereof should be respected.

Like I said, you can find pretty much any review of the game with what I already posted on top of the couple I highlighted to begin with, so I don't believe it's all that necessary to update the thread further or that not doing so would be a disservice to some arbitrary obligation you seem to think I have. It may be nice if I highlighted a few more, I could agree that much, but the need for that doesn't make itself apparent.

I stand by the fact that the reviews are right there for your perusal and have been from the start, and you may choose to read them or not. This is hardly any different from your average review thread, and I'd appreciate it if you try to treat it as such, even if you disagree with how it's being maintained.

Keep that philosophy alive as everyone else recognizes that you did not make a proper thread and people who have not made a proper review thread gets their shit locked while someone else makes a better one. Hope you get your thread making privileges taken away so no one has to deal with your ivory tower.

EDIT: I'll make a new thread once a mod responds back.

Draxal

I hear normal difficulty Awakening can get insultingly easy at times and many players are left in a lurch where they find hard too hard but normal too dull whereas normal difficulty echoes the reviews I read had difficulty in the later parts.

Awakening's big issue, is the traditional fire emblem curve is magnified in that game, the experience ramp is heavily exacerbated with Robin's Veteran skill. Hence all the water abuse in chapter 1.

pretending that "old fans" are some unified voice is as silly as acting like FF or Pokemon fans can all be pinned in one or two groups

Ayup, this old fan wishes Path of Radiance was never introduced, as the fans of that game are easily the most toxic part of the fire emblem community now (except Lunar who manages to be cool while wearing jorts at the same time). To be fair there's a lot of people who are critical of the new games that don't voice them as much as the usual suspects, just much more tactful than some other posters.

Keep that philosophy alive as everyone else recognizes that you did not make a proper thread and people who have not made a proper review thread gets their shit locked while someone else makes a better one. Hope you get your thread making privileges taken away so no one has to deal with your ivory tower.

EDIT: I'll make a new thread once a mod responds back.

Chrom only made this thread as a favor, as the usual poster is busy right now, and will most likely be posting the OT for that person in his stead as well. I don't agree with his combative tone, but he has obligations and to expect a person to slavishly update these threads when he has other obligations.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Chrom only made this thread as a favor, as the usual poster is busy right now, and will most likely be posting the OT for that person in his stead as well. I don't agree with his combative tone, but he has obligations and to expect a person to slavishly update these threads when he has other obligations.

Everyone on this forum probably has obligations too such as jobs. If this is the case then it's courtesy to hand off the duties to someone else who is able to meet the task or respectfully explain the situation. Instead, he has opted to stand on his ivory tower and outright refuse duties that are implied when making the thread as the predecessor's standards were set. If he's refusing to keep it up to date then the obligation is passed off to someone who can.

besada

Banned

If you can't maintain a thread, don't make it. It's not that complicated. Plenty of other people are willing to make a thread usually, and if no one cares enough to do it right, we can just not have one.

Is there someone else out there that can do better? Let me know and we'll close this one.

redcrayon

If you can't maintain a thread, don't make it. It's not that complicated. Plenty of other people are willing to make a thread usually, and if no one cares enough to do it right, we can just not have one.

Is there someone else out there that can do better? Let me know and we'll close this one.
I think Kayos90 volunteered.

Draxal

I told him its better off than somebody else do it, and somebody volunteered already right then.

I think Chrom's off in this, but at that same time people were demanding updates instead of politely asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom