• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - official thread of "they're not ponies, they're pegasi!"

jstevenson said:
I had high hopes Amazon was going to get this to me before I left for DICE today... but no deal. Argh.

Has your copy shipped yet? Mine isn't set to ship until the 23rd for some stupid reason, with a delivery estimate no sooner than March 2nd. What the hell, Amazon?

Edit: Screw it, ordered from Newegg for the same price with faster shipping. Will cancel with whoever takes longer to ship (probably Amazon)

Hobbun

Well, I started playing it last night. Put maybe 45 minutes into it and I am on the last Prologue chapter. Enjoying it so far.

mattso

been playing a lot the last 2 days. Up to chapter 8 on normal mode. Haven't lost a unit yet except the sacrifice in the prologue.

Figure I'll try to keep that as long as possible.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AniHawk said:
I haven't played it yet, but The Sacred Stones was preeeeeeeetty newbie-friendly.

Yeah, Sacred Stones was very newbie-friendly given the 'world map' and all those random encounters if you wanted to power level before a tough mission. But a great game, none the less.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
watervengeance said:
Hard mode is definitely a step up from normal. For one, you don't get access to the first 10 prologue chapters, which means you miss out on a lot of experience and one character.

Eh? I thought there were only 4 prologue chapters...?

Shadow Dragon is newbie friendly because it has tutorial stuff in the Prologue, and Normal mode is extremely easy in general so new players shouldn't have too many problems.

Got this one on Tuesday. I'm on chapter 3. I love FE! This one has nice map visuals, but I don't care much for the sprite battles. Good thing you can turn 'em off of course.

edit for dude above:

I got mine at Walmart on Tuesday! They had to check thru their new stock and sure enough they had 4 copies.

Jiggy

I'm not sure whether I love or hate the fact that I just finished chapter six and I already have more than
two dozen
units--it's like recruitment at double speed (or more; FE7 didn't hit this number of characters until chapter sixteen, in fact), but with everybody still level seven and below it feels particularly unusual to have an army this huge. So few level gains to help determine who eventually becomes great and who doesn't that I just had to look up stat growth on GameFAQs after a few chapters.

But the gameplay is still the usual Fire Emblem goodness, although there's such a crazy degree of overlap with the units (
cavaliers, seriously?) that they probably picked the right time for the class change feature. I've still been reluctant to use it, though, because the game seems balanced enough anyway and the only reclassing that made me do a double-take when I looked at it seemed almost broken: changing from a fighter to a mercenary means -1 Str and -4 HP, but for +7 Skill, +3 Speed, +2 Defense, and +1 movement I think I'd live, pirate to mercenary is the same as fighter to mercenary except with only -2 HP and a better +4 Speed but only +1 Defense, and changing from a horseman to a hero yields no drops aside from movement (which isn't even really a negative since horse movement kind of sucks) yet gives +2 HP, +4 Skill, +4 Speed, and +1 Defense.

botticus

Wow, GS did manage to screw me. Ordered online on 12/30, and yet no art cell. Did anyone who ordered online get it? Guess I'll go to the store and see if they have one, otherwise I'll be grabbing a copy $7 cheaper on Amazon.

mattso

reclassing wolf into a general is such a great idea. usually prepromotes seem to slow down in how useful they are but he just keeps getting better.

My barst and ogma also pretty insane. They need a few more levels before 20 and I can promote them.

This playthrough I'm gonna learn which recruits to make sure to keep alive for my next playthrough on hard trying to get all the extra chapters with limits on how many people you have.

botticus said:
Wow, GS did manage to screw me. Ordered online on 12/30, and yet no art cell. Did anyone who ordered online get it? Guess I'll go to the store and see if they have one, otherwise I'll be grabbing a copy $7 cheaper on Amazon.

I did it where I preordered online and picked it up at the store and I got the art cell.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haha, wow. So many units.. right up there with Radiant Dawn for party overload. Reclassing definintly is required.. and I enjoy the idea. I think the 'branching' design from Sacred Stones is more appealing overall.. but this game has its charms.

Online store is a decent idea.. although having it online instead offline is.. meh. I know they're protecting against cheating with the internal clock and collecting data (probably), but if I'm on the go, I can't access it.

Normal Mode is a tad on the easy side right now..
and I'm saving the Gaiden chapters for the Hard playthrough
, given that the only times I've had to reset for a killed character has been at the Arena.

Very fun though.

Prax

I have killed off so many people by chapter 6 just to get to the bonus chapter.. XD
Sometimes by accident, sometimes not! Actually, I killed off one more than I should have by the time I reached my bonus chapter.. hahaha

I feel kind of bad though, since it was all like: "OMG SISTER I FINALLY FOUND YOU! LET ME JOIN!" *joins*
me: omg, ANOTHER unit?! You're useless. go die.
*unit is dead*
me: hm.. just 3 more to go! *eyes the old men*

My favourite moments so far (I think these are chapter 5 spoilers):
"You look young and warmhearted.. here's a reward.. A CURSED AXE! HAHHAAH!" *gives devil axe*

and

Julian: Tick tock, move that frock, girlie!
Lena: Let's go back for my mend staff! :D
Navarre: hahahaha! *KILLS LENA*
Caeda: Navarre, if you don't join us, then you might as well kill me! ~.~
Navarre: No way. I don't kill women. ... ... >.> *cough*

Mejilan

Definitely digging the game. It's Fire Emblem. It's great.
I thought that it might be too watered down or shallow, but the design is impeccable.
The plethora of difficulty levels are most welcome.

Daigoro

i got it on Friday and ive put in a good 3-4 hrs so far.

i love it. its a lot of fun. i actually dig the graphics more than i though i would too. it looks good in action, and the charachter art isnt too shabby imo.

fun game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Finally got my copy... as someone is a vet, but is also a whore for not wanting to lose any characters - should I start at Medium or Hard?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...I might be in the minority, but I miss the old-school graphics and interface, not especially liking the new ones.

Ah, well, gameplay is still solid. :p

Mejilan

The interface here is quite improved. If nothing else, porting over the GCN/Wii ability to independently toggle and lock each enemy's range, is a huge pro over the GBA versions.

Daigoro

Mejilan said:
The interface here is quite improved. If nothing else, porting over the GCN/Wii ability to independently toggle and lock each enemy's range, is a huge pro over the GBA versions.

yes. that is an awesome feature.

Is there a reason why 99% of the sprites have no individuality? At the very, very least, show the weapon change. Sucks whenever I see my cavaliers I think all of them have lances equipped. Nostalgia be damned. Handheld FE is good, but the relative graphical boost of the console FEs is something I'm sorely missing right now.

I have no issues with the fighting models; they're fine.

Mejilan

Yeah, more non-generic map sprites would have been a nice upgrade over the GBA versions.
At least the maps look great, now!

Just thought of another nice interface improvement, and this one might be easily missed to those of you that skipped reading the manual. You know that pre-battle info window that pops up right before you initiate a skirmish? The one that tells you how much damage you're going to do, chances for a crit, and whom (if anyone) will get two strikes?

Well, hovering near the weapon icons just to the left and right are these little arrow thingies. Tap those, and you'll cycle backwards and forwards through your on-hand weapons, so you can easily check to see how all of your weapons will affect the upcoming skirmish. The one you go with will be auto-equipped. It's quite nice to not have to cancel out, manually equip a new weapon, and pull up the info window again.

:)

stuminus3

I'm really enjoying what I've played of this so far. When it was first announced and I heard it was a remake of the original game, I was a little wary... but now that I have it, I think it's my kind of Fire Emblem.

My problem with many turn-based strategy games these days (especially from Japan) is that I find they tend to have too much emphasis on boring exposition and an overwhelming amount of stat micromanagement, the latter of which Fire Emblem is usually much lighter on, and Advance Wars has pretty much none of. I fell in love with the genre way, way back on a lesser-known budget ZX Spectrum title called Viking Raiders, which I could play for hours and hours no matter how basic it actually was. That game sort of crafted my taste. No wasting time with story, no managing screen fulls of numbers, just plain old strategy.

Shadow Dragon seems to be much closer to that kind of simplicity than the GBA or GC/Wii Fire Emblem games are, and I love it. Though to be honest your every day player - not the compulsive nutjobs over at GameFAQs - probably doesn't see much difference in the basic Fire Emblem gameplay from game to game...

Having such a large roster of units early game is a hit with me, too. It sucks to lose a unit, but this is the first Fire Emblem where my first instinct isn't to turn the system off and start the map again when I do so...

Regarding the graphics - the only thing I really don't like is the "talking head" pictures. The actual map screen, and the units on the map screen, look much better in game than they do in screenshots (the map in particular looks great). The sprites in the battle screen are really well animated, too.

Mejilan

*scratches head*

From what I played of this game, it seems to have basically the same exact stats and leveling systems as the GBA/GCN/Wii FEs... It doesn't seem any simpler or more complex than those, despite the occasional minor variance from game to game.

Mejilan said:
*scratches head*

From what I played of this game, it seems to have basically the same exact stats and leveling systems as the GBA/GCN/Wii FEs... It doesn't seem any simpler or more complex than those, despite the occasional minor variance from game to game.

Yes and no.

Growth rates are now split into two: character growth and class growth. You have to figure out their growth rates by adding the character growth to their class growth. This is because of the reclassing ability. Now, you really can turn a cavalier into a knight and have his stats look like a knight (slow, high defense, etc).

This is much better than the simple branching promotion from FE8.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jstevenson said:
Finally got my copy... as someone is a vet, but is also a whore for not wanting to lose any characters - should I start at Medium or Hard?

Medium is really easy.. and if you use the Arena/Online Shop at all, it becomes laughable. If you want to keep all your characters, maybe just give Medium a play-through.. and then when you want to unlock the Gaiden chapters later you can on the Hard difficulties, because you're bound to lose a few there.

Mejilan said:
*scratches head*

The ability to reclass, and 'tweak' your characters in this game does add some micro-managing, if you want to go down that path of complexity. Of course, then there are people that will reset a game for hours on end just to have a better stat-gain. :lol

I love micro-managing in SRPG, but that's a bit much for me in anything that isn't Pokemon.

stuminus3 said:
Regarding the graphics - the only thing I really don't like is the "talking head" pictures. The actual map screen, and the units on the map screen, look much better in game than they do in screenshots (the map in particular looks great). The sprites in the battle screen are really well animated, too.

Haha, wow. I think the doubling animation is okay, but everything else is on par with PoR, or RD level of uninspired. And then of course, there's the level of detail put into the sprites themselves.. :/

Haunted

Mejilan said:
Well, hovering near the weapon icons just to the left and right are these little arrow thingies. Tap those, and you'll cycle backwards and forwards through your on-hand weapons, so you can easily check to see how all of your weapons will affect the upcoming skirmish. The one you go with will be auto-equipped. It's quite nice to not have to cancel out, manually equip a new weapon, and pull up the info window again.

:)
I used that so much when I played through the game. Simple addition but sooo useful.

Mejilan

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. I haven't played around with re-classing yet, but from what you describe, it's hardly a simplification over previous games! Which really was my point.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
EvilMario said:
Medium is really easy.. and if you use the Arena/Online Shop at all, it becomes laughable. If you want to keep all your characters, maybe just give Medium a play-through.. and then when you want to unlock the Gaiden chapters later you can on the Hard difficulties, because you're bound to lose a few there.

Knowing me and my time, I probably will only play through once. I played through the prologue last night on medium, but I'm thinking about playing on Hard.

Argh. Nintendo why do you torture me by putting Gaiden chapters that I can't access unless I lose units?!

When I was reading the Iwata asks for this it seemed like they wanted you to lose units on purpose. I don't like that idea. I like the idea that a perfect play through is one with no unit deaths.

That said, I think I missed a recruitment in the stage with all of the ballistas. I think it was 10? Maybe 11. One of those dragon dudes.

stuminus3

Mejilan said:
What I was referring to was a comparison to, say, Final Fantasy Tactics, where you really have to pay attention to all kinds of stats. In Fire Emblem you can let your character go "ding!" and forget about it if you want.

You shouldn't really have to micromanage stats too often. If a character gets RNG screwed, just use a stat boosting item to fix dents, or if that character isn't doing enough damage to kill, give him/her forged weapons.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
When I was reading the Iwata asks for this it seemed like they wanted you to lose units on purpose. I don't like that idea. I like the idea that a perfect play through is one with no unit deaths.

That said, I think I missed a recruitment in the stage with all of the ballistas. I think it was 10? Maybe 11. One of those dragon dudes.

I'm not totally against the idea.. I mean, this is very Ogre Battle:poLC for me.. or any game that has branching paths where you have to decide who you're going to pick up.. and who you're going to pass up on/kill/let die in any given playthrough.

It sure is different though, letting units die in FE. I'll give you that. (doing my perfect playthrough right now.. saving the dying for Hard level 5).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ranger X said:
WOOOOO wait,

You guys are saying there's more battles if I play at hard difficulty? What bullshit is that?

No.. I was just recommending he wait to unlock the Gaiden chapters on the Hard difficulties.

Gaiden chapters are unlocked by having a party of 15 characters, or less by the time that chapter rolls around.. so you HAVE to kill off character.. and/or.. not recruit them

Hive

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Why was grandjedi banned? :(

i think it was from trolling Star Ocean. hehe
He'll be back. In fact, he's probably here lurking this thread right now. O_O;

wassup Jedi~ say hi to mom and the kids for me!

Ranger X

EvilMario said:
No.. I was just recommending he wait to unlock the Gaiden chapters on the Hard difficulties.

Gaiden chapters are unlocked by having a party of 15 characters, or less by the time that chapter roles around.. so you HAVE to kill off character.. and/or.. not recruit them

oh shiz..

it's not a map that you can simply do understaffed?

The gaiden chapters are mostly useless. You have to kill off a huge amount for characters just to recruit one mediocre character. I only play 24X in all my play throughs because Nagi is the only one worth getting.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Cow Mengde said:
The gaiden chapters are mostly useless. You have to kill off a huge amount for characters just to recruit one mediocre character. I only play 24X in all my play throughs because Nagi is the only one worth getting.

Useless, or not.. I think some of us are of the mind that we must do everything that game be done in a game. This isn't a big deal for me, since I'd likely have a few playthroughs of the title, but some people will only want to play through it once and call it good.

Mejilan

Just about every FE that hit the west had either/or situations when it came to certain recruitables/maps. Shadow Dragon admittedly takes that to an extreme degree, but this isn't the first, or even the second time that one of our FEs requires multiple runs to see/get everything.

Llyranor

Which one would be your typical 'hard' mode? I want a good challenge, but I don't want a frustrating experience that requires me to exploit the game, either.

mattso

I want to beat normal mode before I go to hard but it's almost becoming a chore.

My ogma and barst are total beasts. My barst will hit up to 4 times with a brave axe. I've yet to run into anything that took more than two hits. With them taking the lead and my general wolf hanging back in case anything gets close I'm near invincible. I carelessly let merric die today trying to level him a little in the arena, my first lost unit. I think I'm on chapter 21 now so only a few more left to go.

I probably will jump from this to either the 2nd or 3rd hard difficulty once I'm done.

Llyranor said:
Which one would be your typical 'hard' mode? I want a good challenge, but I don't want a frustrating experience that requires me to exploit the game, either.

Hard 1 or 2 should suffice. You don't get the Introductory levels (and thus your characters are very underdeveloped in the beginning compared to the enemy). It's a good challenge, unless you arena abuse. I haven't tried Hard 2, but I'm sure that the enemy stats are just higher.

Top Bottom