• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Uncharted 4 Preview, new Screenshots

GnawtyDog

Banned
And the Best Gif Response Award goes to...

tumblr_ml7v1l6zrC1rsrt78o1_250.gif

#NoDramaChloe vs. #DramaElena? Easy choice.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Everything about this is incredible. The way the upward blow from Drake send a shock wave through the enemy, the way Drake pushes his body forward slightly in order to give himself more strength to pull the guy off, the way his hand is holding onto the ledge, the way he catches the rifle ... NOTHING about that clip is OFF. Perfection.
It's nice, but not perfection. His left hand looks like it is just laying on the edge of the platform and it doesn't look like there is any way he could get a good grip. Also his left foot seems to be floating and not planted as the animation depicts.

Might come close, but it won't.

The ball in on Neil Druckmann to deliver the narrative closure to the story of Nathan Drake in an extremely fulfilling manner, both in just the overall UC4 arc, and the overarching 4-games.

IMO, that will be what establishes whether or not UC4 is just another great ND game, or another TLoU-style "nobody can stop talking about TLoU for months after release" emotional whew.

Man this games gonna be so good.
What do you guys think, ND's best game to date?
better overall reception than tlou?
It could, the fact that this is the end of the franchise (end of Nathan Drake's story to be exact) will definitely give it the upper hand, specially if they pull it off. They improve the gameplay quite a bit, set pieces are on point, graphics are f-ing amazing, the OST is sounding pretty great and the MP has proven twice that is going to be a very fun MP.

Honestly I can't think of any other franchise or game trilogy/saga that actually ended (ending for real by choice of the developers) on a high note. ME3 had all right ideas to succeed and yet somehow they fucked up the ending in order to have continuity for the franchise.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
It's going to have to do something incredible to beat TLOU.

The gameplay looks light years ahead of TLOU. That PSX 2014 demo is one of the most impressive sandboxes and intricately designed levels I have seen in a TPS.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
TLOU wasn't great because of the graphics. They helped but that's not why it got stacks of awards.

I did not mention graphics though... I meant level design and gameplay.

The only way I see TLOU still being thought of as the better game is if people prefer the story. You are not going to get gut wrenching scenes here so there is less room for creating shock value. Of course that PSX 2014 demo may not be indicative of the final game and may be misleading in which case it could be a step behind TLOU in the gameplay and level design department too but I somehow doubt that will be the case.

TLoU was a great game, but beyond its 10/10s in spades, it also had a very strong post-launch mindshare retention, driven by the strength of its performance, characters (notably Ellie) and narrative.

UC4 looks great, but unless the chemistry of gunplay and level-design is some secret sauce that can't be felt without having the game in your hands, it's doesn't appear to be mindblowing to the level that it will be talked about for months to come.

If the game is the PSX+E3 demo for 10-12 hours straight, it's quite likely a 8.5-9/10 game from gameplay alone. But that last one point that pushes the game into "man, I can't stop thinking of Drake" territory will have to come from something else.

It's going to have to do something incredible to beat TLOU.

I'm convinced that Naughty Dog, with the experience gained from The Last of Us, could be able to provide an overall better game. Will Uncharted 4 provide a better 'experience' than The Last of Us ? Yes. No. Perhaps. It depends on what you are looking as both are aiming for something remotely different despite the similarities.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
TLoU was a great game, but beyond its 10/10s in spades, it also had a very strong post-launch mindshare retention, driven by the strength of its performance, characters (notably Ellie) and narrative.

UC4 looks great, but unless the chemistry of gunplay and level-design is some secret sauce that can't be felt without having the game in your hands, it's doesn't appear to be mindblowing to the level that it will be talked about for months to come.

If the game is the PSX+E3 demo for 10-12 hours straight, it's quite likely a 8.5-9/10 game from gameplay alone. But that last one point that pushes the game into "man, I can't stop thinking of Drake" territory will have to come from something else.

Yes, I agree. ND can do it though. I just wonder if UC4 is capable of delivering the same level of drama simply because of the genre. I think it's going to be incredible though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm convinced that Naughty Dog, with the experience gained from The Last of Us, could be able to provide an overall better game. Will Uncharted 4 provide a better 'experience' than The Last of Us ? Yes. No. Perhaps. It depends on what you are looking as both are aiming for something remotely different despite the similarities.

I played TLOU 11 times and watched over 20 let's plays. I've never ever played a game more than twice and certainly never then watched any let's plays. If this game can inspire me as much as TLOU I'll die a happy man.

Come. On. Naughty Dog.

I don't know but I felt a very strong Indiana Jones vibe in those pics.

Alsothis was a very nice nod to Neogaf.
Take that Neogaf!
:p

I played TLOU 11 times and watched over 20 let's plays. I've never ever played a game more than twice and certainly never then watched any let's plays. If this game can inspire me as much as TLOU I'll die a happy man.

I can already see The Last of Us' influence on Uncharted 4, especially on a story and character development standpoint. The same applies for the progression (more opened environments, more interactions with the world as seen with the Lemur) and the melee system.The experience gained from their previous game is definitely benefiting this game, so I'm ready for the best Uncharted to date at the very least. I know I'll be blown away.

I must have 70/80 hours on The Last of Us' campaign by now. Same for Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3. I don't usually replay games that much.

PS : Stop making Elena cry !

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can already see The Last of Us' influence on Uncharted 4, especially on a story and character development standpoint. The same applies for the progression (more opened environments, more interactions with the world as seen with the Lemur) and the melee system.The experience gained from their previous game is definitely benefiting this game, so I'm ready for the best Uncharted to date at the very least. I know I'll be blown away.

I must have 70/80 hours on The Last of Us' campaign by now. Same for Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3. I don't usually replay game that much.

PS : Stop making Elena cry !

I argued this on another forum but people were convinced it would ruin Uncharted. They didn't seem to understand that production values, script, story, pacing, action, characterisation and acting aren't genre specific. This is the uncharted I described and I'm ecstatic about that.

I wonder if there are more traversal mechanics than the climbing spike, Jeep, and rope. I remember Bruce and Neil saying (during E3) that they would show additional mechanics at the later date, but I haven't seen anything since then. I may have misunderstood them. Maybe they were referring to other vehicles such as boat, quad, etc.

I argued this on another forum but people were convinced it would ruin Uncharted. They didn't seem to understand that production values, script, story, pacing, action, characterization and acting aren't genre specific. This is the uncharted I described and I'm ecstatic about that.

Exactly.

Top Bottom