• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Uncharted 4 Preview, new Screenshots

Man this games gonna be so good.
What do you guys think, ND's best game to date?
better overall reception than tlou?

I wonder how the reception for this game will be. I feel like the game will be picked apart because of how long it took to make and it being the fourth Uncharted.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
this game looks amazing, it makes me wonder what naughty dog could accomplish developing for pc, mai gawd.

this game looks amazing, it makes me wonder what naughty dog could accomplish developing for pc, mai gawd.
Naughty Dog games look the way they do because they are working to fixed hardware, same as pretty much every other console exclusive and why those developers can seemingly get better results than third parties. Developing for PC means sure, they could target higher spec, but what makes their games look so good is the hardware they're pulling the performance from.

barit

If only half of the games would look and run like Uncharted 4, the PS4K would just be an April Fools' joke to this date. God damn Naughty Dog

I wonder how the reception for this game will be. I feel like the game will be picked apart because of how long it took to make and it being the fourth Uncharted.

I don't see the length of development really being an issue unless UC4 is only 7 hours long or something. The Order taking 4-5 years to make wasn't really a criticised point in reviews. Remedy didn't get blasted for QB taking 6 years. (yes, comparisons, but valid to note)

As for it being the 4th Uncharted, it really depends on how honest ND is about this being the grand finale.

I don't see the length of development really being an issue unless UC4 is only 7 hours long or something. The Order taking 4-5 years to make wasn't really a criticised point in reviews. Remedy didn't get blasted for QB taking 6 years. (yes, comparisons, but valid to note)

As for it being the 4th Uncharted, it really depends on how honest ND is about this being the grand finale.

Remedy and RAD are less than half the size of ND.

Johndoey

Banned
I think this game won't be as dark as some are hoping and it might catch some flak for that. I mean the Uncharted games are patterned off Indiana Jones which is drawn from the old dime store novels and I think they capture the feel perfectly.

But last of us was so massively popular people are going to come in expecting something this game won't provide. I mean it's got the air of finality and the focus on responsibility and obligations in a marriage and all, but it's still a globe trotting series at heart that will always be the focus.

Ya know for whatever reason whenever I think of Uncharted the first thing that springs to mind is Spencer for Hire.

I want to browse this thread..but I'm on media blackout since the Making of UC4 videos started dropping.

Gotta stay strong, hurry up May 10th!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think this game won't be as dark as some are hoping and it might catch some flak for that. I mean the Uncharted games are patterned off Indiana Jones which is drawn from the old dime store novels and I think they capture the feel perfectly.

But last of us was so massively popular people are going to come in expecting something this game won't provide. I mean it's got the air of finality and the focus on responsibility and obligations in a marriage and all, but it's still a globe trotting series at heart that will always be the focus.

Ya know for whatever reason whenever I think of Uncharted the first thing that springs to mind is Spencer for Hire.

Different genres, same production values. It's weird how difficult this is for some people to understand. I very much doubt that ONE single person expects this game to be similar to TLOU. Again, 'production values.'

Johndoey

Banned
Different genres, same production values.
That's what I'm saying I think some people are coming in with the complete wrong tone in mind. I don't think it'll be a huge issue or anything for the game but eh. I mostly mention it because I have seen people expecting something fairly dark.

AdanVC

That looks and sounds so goooooood! PS4 owners are livin' la vida loca this year with Uncharted 4, FFXV, Horizon and The Last Guardian.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's what I'm saying I think some people are coming in with the complete wrong tone in mind. I don't think it'll be a huge issue or anything for the game but eh. I mostly mention it because I have seen people expecting something fairly dark.

I haven't seen it. All I've seen is people saying it won't have TLOU production values because for some reason they think it would no longer be the same genre. A comedy can have the same production values, a love story can have the same production values, hell, even a frigin' cartoon can have the same production values. Nobody believes it's going to be influenced that much by TLOU, just that when people talk about production values people think that's what you mean. It's like trying to explain smoke to a blind person. They just can't grasp it.

doofy102

No

giphy.gif

That's some Spider Man shit.

Fully paid my pre-order months ago. The MP beta looked incredible and i can't imagine what sort of treats are in store for my eyes. With previews coming out I guess it's time to nope out of any Uncharted threads, if the the story gets spoiled for me I think I would cry.

Gurish

If you'd switch U4's and TLOU's release dates (meaning U4 would be a 2013 game and TLOU a 2016) than it could beat it, obviously from a gameplay prespective it looks better.

Problem is that today we have a tougher climate for games in general (all games suffer from lower MC) and especially it seems for linear cinematic TPS.

So reviewers are tougher and they like open world, 2 things that will prevent U4 from topping TLOU, all I'm hoping for is 90+ MC, don't have any expectation this surpassing TLOU.

zsynqx

If you'd switch U4's and TLOU's release dates (meaning U4 would be a 2013 game and TLOU a 2016) than it could beat it, obviously from a gameplay prespective it looks better.

Problem is that today we have a tougher climate for games in general (all games suffer from lower MC) and especially it seems for linear cinematic TPS.

So reviewers are tougher and they like open world, 2 things that will prevent U4 from topping TLOU, all I'm hoping for is 90+ MC, don't have any expectation this surpassing TLOU.

This is such BS.

We've had two linear cinematic TPS this gen. The Order was shit and Quantum Break was criticized for it's methods of storytelling through the divisive television show (and other apparent issues)

Reviewers don't necessarily prefer open world games, it's just that most games seem to be open world now. I believe this thinking (reviewers hate linearity) all started when people were damage controlling for the Order getting bad reviews, when in reality the game just wasn't very good

Gurish

This is such BS.

We've had two linear cinematic TPS this gen. The Order was shit and Quantum Break was criticized for it's methods of storytelling through the divisive television show (and other apparent issues)

Reviewers don't necessarily prefer open world games, it's just that most games seem to be open world now. I believe this thinking (reviewers hate linearity) all started when people were damage controlling for the Order getting bad reviews, when in reality the game just wasn't very good

Even dark from DF said it's the best Remedy game and it seems like he is not aligned with the mainstream any more, I understand TO1886's scores but not QB's which seems awesome.

Also Wolfenstein didn't get great scores as well, it seems like AAA linear games struggle this gen.

zsynqx

Even dark from DF said it's the best Remedy game and it seems he is not aligned with the mainstream any more, I understand TO1886's scores but not QB's which seems awesome.

Also Wolfenstein didn't get great scores as well, it seems like AAA linear games struggle this gen.

Even NXgamer loved the Order, so what?

I read a bunch of reviews for QB and none of the major criticisms really had anything to do with it's linearity, although some did bring up it's length. The main complaints were about the story, the quality of the TV show and how it was integrated, repetitiveness, the ending and the bad time puzzles/platforming. Gamespot and a few others criticized the gunplay but most seemed to love that aspect.

One major difference is that U4 isn't a linear cinematic TPS in the same way that other recent games are. Like in the case of The Order, there's one way to play The Order from beginning to end. Even in the stealth section, it specifically wants you to play it one way and if you don't you'll fail and have to do it over again. There's also one path from beginning to end. U4 on the other hand is taking after TLoU in the sense that it's a much more open experience. Game Informer talked about seeing multiple playthroughs of the PSX level that were all different because there are so many paths you can take. One may lead you to treasure, another may lead you to a cave, the traversal type and enemy encounters greatly differ etc. It all leads back into Point B, but just the fact that everyone can take different paths from point A to point B is a major plus.

In other words, they aren't simply making a prettier version of Uncharted. U3 showed them that they couldn't do that. That game was still very well received, but there were complaints that the series was kinda standing in place. It was just a prettier version of Uncharted. This is probably the biggest evolution the series has seen since it started.

This is also true

One major difference is that U4 isn't a linear cinematic TPS in the same way that other recent games are. Like in the case of The Order, there's one way to play The Order from beginning to end. Even in the stealth section, it specifically wants you to play it one way and if you don't you'll fail and have to do it over again. There's also one path from beginning to end. U4 on the other hand is taking after TLoU in the sense that it's a much more open experience. Game Informer talked about seeing multiple playthroughs of the PSX level that were all different because there are so many paths you can take. One may lead you to treasure, another may lead you to a cave, the traversal type and enemy encounters greatly differ etc. It all leads back into Point B, but just the fact that everyone can take different paths from point A to point B is a major plus.

In other words, they aren't simply making a prettier version of Uncharted. U3 showed them that they couldn't do that. That game was still very well received, but there were complaints that the series was kinda standing in place. It was just a prettier version of Uncharted. This is probably the biggest evolution the series has seen since it started.

FATALITY

Banned
I have always been put off by what looks like a very dull cover and shoot, then cover and shoot some more gameplay. Wrong assumption?

i mean you could argue that the old games were cover shooters.
but for i have seen of this game is more like tlous on steroids

Lingitiz

I have always been put off by what looks like a very dull cover and shoot, then cover and shoot some more gameplay. Wrong assumption?

Eh I've never thought of the series as particularly great shooters. Nor are they revolutionary and challenging platformers or puzzle solving games. They are good at combining a little bit of everything with great pacing and strong character moments.

zsynqx

https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/716894994397732865

From this preview. (bad google translation)

About combat

thanks to the greater openness of the environment and the resulting different possibilities of approach. the landscape offers numerous strategies to face the enemy, accerchiandolo, sticking his head down or quietly, with stealth killings calibrated to the millimeter. the innovations introduced here thus refer the detection-system AI enemy and Nate's ability to act through stealth movements, favored by the natural shape of the location. the battle can be divided into two simple stages: the first consists in the approach to the target, with the possibility of mark the enemies from a distance, by pushing the buttons L2 and L3; mechanical performance rather trivial in the application because of a too wide range that allows the player to activate profusely markers on enemies are not in visual range. The second, however, is the classic phase of engagement, already present in other earlier chapters, in which the user can decide how to proceed in the clash: the level design of Uncharted 4: End of a Thief in fact allows all types d ' action, emphasizing stealth attack in favor of a boarding without rules. Naughty Dog has provided in this chapter carto the slaughter of unsuspecting enemies of the presence of Drake and, in the vicinity of some contextual areas - such as evergreen shrubs borrowed from a long line of previous games, the body can be automatically hidden from view. Often the latter technique is necessary to eliminate the large number of soldiers present: their projectiles causing high damage to Nathan and throw himself openly in the battle is only recommended for experienced players. This constant urge towards a silent approach has led the Californian software house to design a detection system consisting of the three states "ignorant", "alarm" and "fighter", each determined by a specific color and by a device placed over the roar opponent's head. The system is surprisingly responsive and the look of the sentries is natural and well designed, without encountering thus casus belli generated by X-rays of a friendly guard armed named Clark Kent. Last but not least it is inevitable to mention the grappling hook, already known after the introduction trailer released in the previous months; it can be used not only to solve puzzles related to the environment but also in battle, to rappel from above on unsuspecting enemies or to move quickly on the pitch

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow. My intention to hold out on the current PS4 model feels significantly weaker all of a sudden :/

I'm sure it's already been said, but someone needs to photoshop the neogaf logo in 'Road Hogg Rentals' in screenshot three ;)

I'm pleased the game is evolving and not just visually, but gameplay where it was needed. Wasnt this originally scheduled for late last year? I wonder what type of game we would've got.

i mean you could argue that the old games were cover shooters.
but for i have seen of this game is more like tlous on steroids

I thought they've always been way more dynamic than just cover shooters, I mean, the way they incorporate verticality and Nate's agility is pretty unique for a shooter.
This seems to take that to a whole nother level, with larger combat spaces, better AI and more ways of dealing with them.

Also, that grappling hook gif is glorious.

Top Bottom