• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Uncharted 4 Preview, new Screenshots

Lingitiz

Anyone else reckon this will be the highest rated UC game of them all?

Uncharted 2 has a 96 aggregate...no original game has scored that high in three years, and rare that a sequel comes along and scores even higher.

I can easily see it being the most beloved game in the series for having more modern shooting mechanics. But expecting it to score that high is a recipe for disaster.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Uncharted 2 has a 96 aggregate...no original game has scored that high in three years, and rare that a sequel comes along and scores even higher.

I can easily see it being the most beloved game in the series for having more modern shooting mechanics. But expecting it to score that high is a recipe for disaster.

Some scores are just a product of the time. That's why I don't like to put great stake in them. Look at GTA IV's scores for example (98 on MC), and how divisive that game is today.

I think that reviewers are, in many ways, quite a lot harder on games these days.

Shredderi

They do seem pretty ambitious with the game so chances are, if story and pacing is done well, that it will be the best UC yet.

Lingitiz

Some scores are just a product of the time. That's why I don't like to put great stake in them. Look at GTA IV's scores for example, and how divisive that game is today.

I think that reviewers are, in many ways, quite a lot harder on games these days.

Yeah take a look at some of the games from last year. Witcher 3 won an insane amount of GOTY awards and is generally considered one of the best RPGs ever. It's average is at a 92, but in a different time that could easily be a 96+.

Also, games press has not been doing hot in recent years. Lots of closures, people moving to Youtube, getting out of the biz altogether. There seems to be less reviewers overall. Plus not taking into account sites that have adjusted their scales and things like that.

More quick impressions:
Even if you die, enemies you’ve tagged, stay tagged. Nice.
The more male-centric vibe (usually a strong female character is a great balance) actually works great.
The music is just as thrilling as ever.
There are some destructible environments made of wood. Could be something hidden there.
Nolan North, back as the voice of Nathan, never misses a beat.

Yeah, will disable this feature like Listen mode (if it has). I know ND want to make their games more mainstream but not something I want

Gurish

I have no doubt that in the future when someone will ask on GAF which Uncharted is the best the vast majority will say 4, but I'm not sure U4 will be as good as U2 relatively for its time, U2 in 2009 was mind blowing and was one of the most influential games of that gen, it's an achievement that U4 will have a very hard time to beat.

But if we'll ignore dates, I'm sure that overall U4 will be superior.

zsynqx

Noice

Frankly, I was surprised at how good A Thief’s End looks and plays. The remaster of the Uncharted trilogy last year sort of opened my eyes to how a masterpiece like Uncharted 2 even with a 1080p upgrade didn’t quite look as mind-blowing as I remembered. Uncharted remains one of the best video game series of all time, but its age was showing. Uncharted 4 has a more detailed, much more expansive feel in terms of environment. This isn’t as super-huge like how Afghanistan seemed in MGSV (Uncharted 4 is not open-world, mind you) but it's impressive regardless.

wapplew

Honestly, those screen look great but not mind blowing great.
They looks a lot better in motion like trailer or gif. But gameplay sound perfect evolution from TLOU, love how it sound so far.

Is it now possible to go into stealth mode at any time?

The big new addition is being able to tag enemies by hitting the left stick while aiming. It’s a little awkward holding the left trigger and pressing the stick with one hand, but so far you’re mostly doing it at a distance from bad guys so I didn’t mind. The hand-to-hand combat feels smoother, less stuttery like in past versions. If you come into an enemy’s line of sight, he will notice with their marker turning yellow, then red. In a nice addition that, yes, does remind me of Metal Gear again, you can get them to stop searching if you just stay hidden for long enough. Throughout this sequence was also stealth, exploding a huge wall, and a sniper rifle. Everything feels great.

Des

Honestly, those screen look great but not mind blowing great.
It looks a lot better in motion like trailer or gif. But gameplay sound perfect evolution from TLOU, love how it sound so far.
I think the animations and how well it they blend is where the game really shines in terms of presentation. The lighting looks really nice but it doesn't seem as crazy as something like Quantum Break (although that could be down to artistic reasons).

Auctopus

Will be turning that tagging feature off immediately.

I have no doubt that in the future when someone will ask on GAF which Uncharted is the best the vast majority will say 4, but I'm not sure U4 will be as good as U2 relatively for its time, U2 in 2009 was mind blowing and was one of the most influential games of that gen, it's an achievement that U4 will have a very hard time to beat.

But if we'll ignore dates, I'm sure that overall U4 will be superior.

Yeah, well we are living in 2016 now and not 2009.

Preview sounds great .
With how big some of the levels seem to be the game look this good is amazing .
Seem ND could have made a open world game if they want to .

Gurish

Will be turning that tagging feature off immediately.

Yeah, well good thing we live in 2016 now and not 2009.
Well lots of people like to compare things relatively for their time, which game made a bigger impact for them.

It's obvious that U4 is more modern and evolved so it will be the better game overall but some judge things differently, like which game blew their minds harder when it came out.

Well lots of people like to compare things relatively for their time, which game made a bigger impact for them.

It's obvious that U4 is more modern and evolved so it will be the better game overall but some judge things differently, like which game blew their minds harder when it came out.

I agree with you. Just DS3 review thread out there some people said DS3 played better than Demon's Souls but they didn't feel the impact from DS3 like Demon's Souls did.

Moze

Banned
i'll bite:

Why do you think that?

Critics are much harsher and I don't think they will score a cinematic shooter 10/10s like they used to. They will also be thinking of the backlash that Uncharted 3 received after release when scoring it.

As a fan of the other games, I am not hyped for this at all. I was really disappointed when it was announced.

I am guessing low 80s.

zsynqx

Critics are much harsher and I don't think they will score a cinematic shooter 10/10s like they used to. They will also be thinking of the backlash that Uncharted 3 received after release when scoring it.

As a fan of the other games, I am not hyped for this at all. I was really disappointed when it was announced.

I am guessing low 80s.

Low 80s? Very bold :p

I am guessing low 80s.

Okay, we'll see.
I just want to play the game. Couldn't care less about what reviewers think :p.
Preordered and ready to enjoy.

I am guessing low 80s.

There is no way this game scores lower than ROTR and that is at 86 metacritic .

Gurish

I'm predicting a 88, will be a nice surprise if it gets above 9.

I'm sure that for us fans it will be amazing, certain very few will feel disappointed in any way.

Shredderi

Feeling pretty proud of myself for not feeling the urge to watch that gameplay. If it was 5 mins I would be able to convince myself that it wouldn't be so bad but almost 20mins? Nope.

Gurish

Holly shit how big the environment is.

It's going to be amazing.

ND must keep the pace right! I trust them on it, they said pacing is king for them in U4, if they managed to do that it will be incredible.

Top Bottom