• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida [OT]- You know what this is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Actually, the best thing about living in Miami is that I'm a mile away from the ocean. Worst part about that is the ocean's locked behind private gates for many miles, so I have to go a little ways tI actually see it.

407 here. I love having all of the tourist stuff so close, but not really have it affect me. If you want to go putt putt golfing with friends, you have like 20 places to choose from. Same thing goes with movie theaters.

Huff

Banned
Gators_fans_in_jorts.jpg

Whats funny is I know the guy on the left, and he is dressed to make fun of the locals. Ironic he became to face of UF jorts movement

Riggs

Banned
Has there ever been a Florida-Gaf meetup?

I know someone was trying to do something with a Zelda concert or something but I'm not really into that so I just ignored it. Did it take off?
Ya I ignored it too lol. We need a real Florida meet up. Hookers, booze, guns, knives, meth, cocaine, weaponized uranium, etc. Shit would be so much fun!

Clearwater represent. I think.
Then the cops tell me to hang up and call Dunedin PD. (Don't ask) So fuck I just say I am from Tampa. It's like 15 min away lol.

Derrick01

Banned
I live right in the heart of the weird here in Florida. Closest city is Ocala which is the biggest shit hole I've ever seen. It's like they try to model it and their citizens after Detroit, but with white trash.

Damn, the crazies be up in North/Central Florida.

South Florida is where the cool shit's at.

Their zombie attack wasn't that long ago you know.

bengraven

Best part of Gainesville, though:

Almost every day of the week during school hours, the ratio of hot girls walking around U of F to average girls is like 3:1. I've drove by some days and I fucking swear sometimes there are no one less than a 8.5 on the "I'm totally sexist, but you know what I'm talking about, right?" scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObUesxZxIg

Original Fat Train was filmed in Gainesville. It's a shame that I know exactly where in town this is (south of Archer Plaza near the Kangaroo station).

Also there's a couple care homes nearby, which is probably where these ladies originate from.

...never mind, this ruined it.

I had no clue this was filmed in GNV and over at the plaza. Fuck.

Oni Jazar

Suck it Florida haters! Here's some proud news for a change...

An artificial “brain” built by a 17-year-old whiz kid from Florida is able to accurately assess tissue samples for signs of breast cancer, providing more confidence to a minimally invasive procedure.

The cloud-based neural network took top prize in this year’s Google Science Fair.

“I came across artificial intelligence and was just enthralled. I went home the next day and bought a programming book and decided that was what I was going to teach myself to do,” she said.

Her first neural network played soccer.

For her Google Science Fair project, she built a neural network with Java and then deployed it to the cloud. She ran 7.6 million trials on it and found it is 99.1 percent sensitive to malignancy.

“As I get more data, the success rate will go up and the inconclusive rate will go down,” she said. “So with more data, I think it is hospital ready.”

She also compared her custom-built network to three off-the-shelf products that she tweaked to work with her dataset. Her sensitivity to malignancy was 4.97 percent better than the commercial networks.

http://www.futureoftech.msnbc.msn.c...-artificial-brain-detect-breast-cancer-908308

IrishNinja

south florida GAF represent! this whole thread jelly <3

Currently in Ocala. SURE IS GREAT!
I want to move so bad :(

hahaha you're in ocala

Hey Florida GAF. What's the best thing about living in the Sunshine State?

latina ass, swim all year

California and New York are held up as pinnacles of society in Off Topic GAF, so that leaves the third craziest state to get shit on.

I live in South Florida myself and some sections of Miami-Dade are a microcosm of some third world countries.

WOOOOO DADE 3RD WORLD
yeah, cali and NY gaf are the worst about this stuff

Rick Scott was Illinois' trash.

our problem till 2014 or so now though, unless we get a proper recall together

GatorBait

Almost every day of the week during school hours, the ratio of hot girls walking around U of F to average girls is like 3:1. I've drove by some days and I fucking swear sometimes there are no one less than a 8.5 on the "I'm totally sexist, but you know what I'm talking about, right?" scale.

I've since entered the working world and sometimes forget how unreal the hot girl density up there can be. I can go weeks now without seeing a really stunning girl, but I'll go up to UF for a football game and I can't stick my arms out and spin in a circle without slapping three "9's" across the titties.

cj_iwakura

Also, SoFla: we'll be Blazing some Blue and/or Arenaing some Persona 4 at ZeroPing in Hollywood by the Seminole Hardrock on Saturday.

I want to move back to North Carolina so bad; preferably Raleigh. I miss the different seasons. Average highs in Oct. in Raleigh is 73. I hate the humidity here in FL. I hate how flat and ugly the environment is here. Waaaaay too many people live in Pinellas County. In fact, I remember reading that St.Pete/Tampa/Clearwater metro is like the 4th worst in the country.

Problem is, I can't afford to move to Raleigh. I really want to move there when fall arrives. :(

Riggs

Banned
I want to move back to North Carolina so bad; preferably Raleigh. I miss the different seasons. Average highs in Oct. in Raleigh is 73. I hate the humidity here in FL. I hate how flat and ugly the environment is here. Waaaaay too many people live in Pinellas County. In fact, I remember reading that St.Pete/Tampa/Clearwater metro is like the 4th worst in the country.

Problem is, I can't afford to move to Raleigh. I really want to move there when fall arrives. :(

I live in Pinellas county ..... just trying to make the best of it lol.

Love all the comments about staying inside, going from car right to indoors where there is AC. So true.

Kusagari

Best part of Gainesville, though:

This is definitely true. Because of my major I've been in some classes where it was just me and one or two other guys, and like 30 girls who were all ridiculously hot.

This is definitely true. Because of my major I've been in some classes where it was just me and one or two other guys, and like 30 girls who were all ridiculously hot.

Are you in the J-School? I swear, there's a 3:1 ratio of sorority girls to dudes.

Hammer24

Banned
Man snorkels into alligator mouth

CHASSAHOWITZKA — George Hubbard waded away from a wooden ramp Sunday into the Chassahowitzka River and ran head first into the wide open jaws of a 7-foot alligator.

The 70-year-old man, of Lithia in Hillsborough County, told Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC)

officials he was snorkeling when he ran into the alligator’s jaws. The alligator then closed its mouth around Hubbard’s head.

Hubbard started jabbing at the alligator’s throat with his left arm, before breaking free and swimming back across the river to the dock.

“An alligator will bite and then automatically roll (with his prey),” FWC Officer Jeff Summers said Monday. “This gentleman is lucky.”

Hubbard received puncture wounds to his arm and head and was transported to Oak Hill Hospital in Hernando County for treatment. There were no reports of his medical condition or if he was admitted to the hospital at press time.

Hopkins Wilder, a Homosassa resident, was one of the first people to arrive on the scene.

“He was bleeding pretty bad when I saw him,” he said.

Katie Lucas, spokeswoman with Nature Coast EMS, said her agency got the call at 5:20 p.m. Sunday and EMTs arrived on the scene at 5:27 p.m.

“He was already on the dock when we arrived. He had nonlife-threatening injuries,” Lucas said.

“We are just glad he is OK,” she said.

FWC recently released an advisory warning about the dangers of alligators, especially during warm-weather months.

Residents, especially those living around water, should be aware that alligators are deceptively quick, both in and out of water. If a person is bitten, they should quickly seek medical attention to avoid infections.

The agency also encourages people to avoid confronting alligators and to instead call the FWC’s Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 866-FWC-GATOR (392-4286) to report any alligator believed to pose a threat to people, pets or property.

“Spring and summer months are more dangerous for interaction with alligators because they are more active,” Summers said. “There is no body of water in Florida that doesn’t have the possibility of an alligator in it. It is a fact of life.”

Local trappers were still searching Monday for the alligator. Summers said if caught, the animal would be destroyed.

Wilder said though he has only been in the Homosassa area for a few years, he has heard from old-time residents that they do not remember any incidences of alligator attacks on the river.

“I think if the alligator had been bigger, it probably would have tried to roll the man and things could have been a lot different today,” Wilder said.

He said the incident has spooked him, adding he would return to the river, but “I don’t think I will swim there again.”

Floridian-by-choice, because its tthat weird!

IrishNinja

if i was anywhere but miami/lauderdale - maybe some spots in orlando - i'd want out, too. most of the central & northern ends are too much like the south for me.

oh yeah, the keys are pretty awesome too, if you're a baller & can live there.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
if i was anywhere but miami/lauderdale - maybe some spots in orlando - i'd want out, too. most of the central & northern ends are too much like the south for me.

oh yeah, the keys are pretty awesome too, if you're a baller & can live there.

I hear that, I am in the panhandle right now and it is absolutely terrible.

Example my gf's parents were recently out of town for a Glenn Beck convention, that is the kind of people around here.

IrishNinja

jesus, sorry to hear that man.
ive only ever had fun up there with FSU stuff, few cousins out in Melbourne who make the visit bearable as well, but yeah, i couldnt stay.

KuroNeeko

Anybody in Oviedo? Oviedo GAF represent.

I used to live in Oviedo; back when it was all dirt roads and shiyat. It's like a whole new place now though.

Hey Florida GAF. What's the best thing about living in the Sunshine State?

Knowing that you're in the most batshit crazy part of the US. If you can survive and maintain a hold on your sanity in Florida, you can stand tall knowing that you're probably equipped to handle and 1st / 2nd world country - no sweat.

Serious answer -

20-30 years ago I'd say the ocean. From about Sebastian Point on up you could get some pretty good surfing. Down south you had some pretty good snorkeling / scuba water because of the coral. Plus the food you could catch. Family and I would head out and go shrimping and you could always find some good oysters to fry - not to mention that mouthwatering, stomach-cramping delicacy that is Fried Florida Catfish. Oh yeah!

Most disappointing part about being a Floridian was the 2000 election of Dubya versus Gore. Just knowing that we ushered in eight years of that clown...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom