• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit the 'big club' debate

attachment.php

Barzul

"Big clubs" are clubs who win titles in the top leagues in Europe. Not the ones who are content with finishing 3rd or 4th.

That you're still in Pot 2 in CL seedings is telling and if Man Utd had not committed seppuku this season you'd be in Pot 3. You're certainly on the way there.

50m for Luiz? christ

what did Chelsea do to deserve that?

We got an oil baron to buy us who doesn't need the money and bought a player who is highly desired in the market and based Emenalo, Jose, Gourlay combination to do the negotiations.

And they go in trouble for abusing our disabled fans iirc.

He has CL/FA cup/EL medals, he can tell Blanc how not to bottle it next time we play them.

I am 100% sure that Fabregas would never consider moving to Chelsea. They should go for Ramsey instead.

Wat

Ramsey? No thanks. Did you see that table that showed we had the second least days lost for injuries last season? Don't need that increasing.

Man City is still trying to build it's brand. They have no where near the pull of Liverpoool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea

So why do your players keep leaving Arsenal to join Man City?

We got an oil baron to buy us who doesn't need the money and bought a player who is highly desired in the market and based Emenalo, Jose, Gourlay combination to do the negotiations.

And they go in trouble for abusing our disabled fans iirc.

He has CL/FA cup/EL medals, he can tell Blanc how not to bottle it next time we play them.

If Luiz had played for PSG the way he has for Chelsea, roles reversed, how much would you be willing to pay for him?

I genuinely don't think he's worth more than £18m. Probably about £15m tbh.

Walshy

Can we please get a consensus in here on what a 'big' club is.

It changes every week.
A large amount of trophies or a period of sustained success domestically and in Europe.
A large average attendance within the stadium, or at least evidence of a huge fanbase worldwide or within their home country.
A consistent period of time being at the top end of their domestic league as well as making regular appearances season on season in Europe.
And of course, to be within the top division of their domestic leagues and in the top eight teams in that country whilst meeting all the above.

That's what I'd bring it down to.

Manager

About to sign a 31 year old right back that might end up being second choice on 120k a week

the right direction

lol

FFS you just bought Fellaini for a fee and pay him the same.

£120k a week includes the sign-on fee, which is high when he comes on a free.

Barzul

Wat

Ramsey? No thanks. Did you see that table that showed we had the second least days lost for injuries last season? Don't need that increasing.

Ramsey's injury wasn't a sign of any inherent fragility, Wenger just overplayed him because he was almost single handedly winning us games with his offensive and defensive contribution. Any ways hands off, you can go for Rakitic.

If Luiz had played for PSG the way he has for Chelsea, roles reversed, how much would you be willing to pay for him?

I genuinely don't think he's worth more than £18m. Probably about £15m tbh.

When he's good, I think he's great, it just doesn't happen that often. We paid £21m~ plus Matic (valued at £5m I think?), if we were selling him to a team that doesn't have big bucks that are splashed around at the latest big name in the papers, your £18m assessment would probably be right although i'd hope we could get more.

But PSG have money and want everyone to know it, so £30m/£35m would probably be about right, £40m is just gravy.

Imagine if it was £50m, we should pay Torres to leave

Wat

Money simple. If both clubs had equal financial capabilities most players would join Arsenal. Aguero was a Liverpool fan but they couldn't afford him so he chose City. Yaya wouldn't be doing what he's doing now if he played for a dominant United or Chelsea.

Barzul

No it doesn't the sing on fee is separate from the wages in most free transfers. He could get something like 2-5m sign on and then his wages would be a fixed amount.

A large amount of trophies or a period of sustained success domestically and in Europe.
A large average attendance within the stadium, or at least evidence of a huge fanbase worldwide or within their home country.
A consistent period of time being at the top end of their domestic league as well as making regular appearances season on season in Europe.
And of course, to be within the top division of their domestic leagues and in the top eight teams in that country whilst meeting all the above.

That's what I'd bring it down to.

Exactly this is what I mean. Until City achieve this no one will consider them a truly elite "big club". Chelsea have done this so it definitely possible with the right amount of money.

Wilbur

Banned

We make enough money and have made enough money so that we were going in the right direction long ago

And why would the 120k a week include the signing on fee? Who reports contracts like that? Why would his signing on fee be included and broken up weekly?

I think FFP is quite silly to be honest; limits the chances of teams challenging at the top from poorer positions, and isn't enforced enough in the areas that do matter.

Size of fanbase
Historic success
Recent success
European success
Financial worth
Current quality of team
Merchandising and franchise power

They're the criteria I think. You can be a big club by only hitting 2 or so of those marks imo.

Walshy

8/10 first viewing, 9 on second
Really? I'd give it a 7/10 at best.

I felt like I was watching two films, a brilliant monster film and a really corny military movie. Aaron Johnson was boring as shit as the lead. They shouldn't of killed of Cranston so early. That interrogation scene is fucking brilliant.

bud

godzilla - 6.3
x-men: always <5.5
spider-man 2: 9 (the standard by which all other superhero films must be judged)
tdk: 7
tdkr: 6
man of steel: 5
iron man: no rating. blandest, most generic ilm i've seen.

what else is there

Manager

Sagna is 4 years older and has had 2 leg breaks.

Its a ridiculous amount of money.

City are getting him on a free. Buying someone else for £10m on a three-year-contract means an additional £50k a week on the salary (unless he's sold on, then it goes down). Plus, we don't know if it's £120k, both £80k and £100k are being reported.

Manager

We make enough money and have made enough money so that we were going in the right direction long ago

And why would the 120k a week include the signing on fee? Who reports contracts like that? Why would his signing on fee be included and broken up weekly?

I think FFP is quite silly to be honest; limits the chances of teams challenging at the top from poorer positions, and isn't enforced enough in the areas that do matter.

It's about value. Fellaini, proven PL player, was deemed worth £28m and £120k a week. Surely can an incredibly proven CL-experienced player can be worth a similar salary and no fee?

faridmon

As I said, last night, I really liked the new X-men movie and I hate Superheroes movies. A not so bad script goes a long way to improve any movie.

Size of fanbase
Historic success
Recent success
European success
Financial worth
Current quality of team
Merchandising and franchise power

They're the criteria I think. You can be a big club by only hitting 2 or so of those marks imo.

Everton big Club stature re/re/confirmed

Wilbur

Banned
Really? I'd give it a 7/10 at best.

I felt like I was watching two films, a brilliant monster film and a really corny military movie. Aaron Johnson was as boring as shit as the lead. They shouldn't of killed of Cranston so early. That interrogation scene is fucking brilliant.

I really loved it. I don't think it was corny; generic, safe. But it makes sense narratively in order to be close to the action.

regarding Cranston, it would have been nice for him to hang around for longer. But in the OT you have people who are knocking the length and pacing, then clamouring for more Godzilla, then still in the same sentence wanting Cranston to be alongside Watanabe and getting way more screen time. These aren't criticisms that would improve the film, they're just ones made with no semblance of how screenwriting works.

I absolutely accept a lot of people will have problems with the lack of characterisation, but everything that was happening to them was interesting enough that it didn't really matter they weren't interesting.

Barzul

City are getting him on a free. Buying someone else for £10m on a three-year-contract means an additional £50k a week on the salary (unless he's sold on, then it goes down). Plus, we don't know if it's £120k, both £80k and £100k are being reported.

Arsenal offered him 80k, so no way it's that.

jtb

Banned
Cranston's presence (or lack) in Godzilla is overstated. He was fine. just like Kick Ass was fine. neither of them tanked the movie, neither really brought much to the table.

Wilbur

Banned
It's about value. If Fellaini was deemed worth £28m and £120k a week, surely an incredibly proven CL-experienced player is worth a similar salary and no fee?

But Fellaini shouldn't be deemed worth 28m and 120k a week. Just because it happened doesn't mean it should happen again.

If Manchester United jumped off a cliff, would City do the same?

jtb

Banned
hindsight is 20/20. Fellaini was a good transfer at the time for an agreeable, reasonable fee. he might still turn out to be alright, though I doubt he will be given the chance.

Meier

So now Yaya has deleted the everything is true tweet as well and just the original one about the card arriving late remains. Too funny. What a clusterfuck with his Twitter.

Arsenal offered him 80k, so no way it's that.

If he got the same offer from both clubs, he'd be silly to not take the City offer. Arsenal can only in theory offer more play time and at his age, that's realistically not priority number 1 -- titles and security are. It's a better one for him especially as it is 3 years versus 2 apparently. But it's all moot anyway since we'll never know either way what his true offers were. Football needs to be completely transparent like US sports contracts.

Manager

But Fellaini shouldn't be deemed worth 28m and 120k a week. Just because it happened doesn't mean it should happen again.

If Manchester United jumped off a cliff, would City do the same?

I edited it before your post, it was:
"It's about value. Fellaini, proven PL player, was deemed worth £28m and £120k a week. Surely can an incredibly proven CL-experienced player can be worth a similar salary and no fee?"

~£100k (without a transfer fee) for a very experienced CL defender is not horrible. That's what you simply need to pay for a proven CL player this year. Fellaini was a proven PL player and that's what he was deemed worth and few complained about the salary back then, it was mostly about the fee IIRC. Sagna has been a very good player this year, even at 31.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Lescott went for £24M from Everton to City?

What is this world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom