• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Open Beta Feb 9 - Feb 12

Timu

Nvidia's latest 'Prepare for Battle' game bundle includes your choice of either For Honor or Ghost Recon Wildlands...

Anyone buying a GeForce GTX 1080, GTX 1070 GPU, PC Gaming System or Laptop can choose either Ubisoft’s For Honor or Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands for free

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/for-honor-ghost-recon-wildlands-geforce-gtx-bundle

Yes!...that means people will be selling their codes online for cheap...I wasn't going to pay $60 but for $25-$30 I'm in
Shame that it's not for US amazon.

You know what's the worst?

I signed up way back when they first announced a closed alpha at E3, but I never got an invite. (made sure that I didn't need to sign back up for the beta either.)

Didn't some here say that Elimination was in closed alpha? How did that mode work?

There are a lot of videos on it but it's basically 4v4 team deathmatch with power ups around the arena.

Think dominion but without mobs, healing capture points, and respawn (can still be revived).

Artdayne

Didn't some here say that Elimination was in closed alpha? How did that mode work?

It's my favorite game mode. Its 4v4, but it starts out basically as 4 separate 1v1s throughout the map. There are powerups that increase damage, healing, defense. Feats and gear are also active.

The way I see it the best way to win is to kill your 1v1 opponent as quickly as possible while also executing them. Executions seem to be the most important thing because there are no respawns in this mode and they cannot be revived after being executed. So if you kill them quickly and also execute them it allows you to grab a powerup or something and go help your teammates to win their fights and eventually overwhelm them for a win.

-Deimos

There are a lot of videos on it but it's basically 4v4 team deathmatch with power ups around the arena.

Think dominion but without mobs, healing capture points, and respawn (can still be revived).
No respawn*
Oh wait I read that wrong. Anyway Elimination is awesome.
I can't watch it atm but if true about the fourth class then... fuck =_=

No wait, fuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkk ~_~
I don't understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe they want to keep them a surprise for those of us who haven't played them yet?

It's my favorite game mode. Its 4v4, but it starts out basically as 4 separate 1v1s throughout the map. There are powerups that increase damage, healing, defense. Feats and gear are also active.
Huh, that's a shame, I thought it was going to be the same as brawl, just with 4v4. Hope there is some alternative 4v4 mode that is more "pure" competition, no powerups or gear bias.

No respawn*
Oh wait I read that wrong. Anyway Elimination is awesome.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe they want to keep them a surprise for those of us who haven't played them yet?

With one week before the game launches, if you're still doing balancing, something is very wrong

Really looking forward to trying this. My chief concern is the P2P connection since I live in Australia, and hopefully the demo will put my fears to rest

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Will probably get it. I'm hoping GAF will be more active team wise come release because the fact that only two people were using the discord I made certainly didn't give me any confidence. :/

Sande

"Keep your closed beta build and get ready to download the open beta patch..."

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I uninstalled before finding out about the open beta.

Sure, but isn't that after the game launches?
Why is balancing before the release somehow worse than after? A patch is a patch.

Nothus

"Keep your closed beta build and get ready to download the open beta patch..."

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I uninstalled before finding out about the open beta.

Was just coming on here to warn people to keep their closed beta download!
Damn I was so close to deleting mine yesterday as well.

Yup saw the trailer.

Fuuuuuucccckkkkkk ~_~ I wanted to try out the Shugoki....

Why is balancing before the release somehow worse than after? A patch is a patch.

It's not about balancing before the release, it's that it's still balancing when the game is 1-2 weeks away from being released. It's gonna be gold any day already.

Gbraga

Can't wait! This game is seriously great, much better than I expected.

And the netcode is a dream (at least for someone used to Souls). If Nioh is half as good as this when the PVP comes out, it'll be a blast.

It's not about balancing before the release, it's that it's still balancing when the game is 1-2 weeks away from being released. It's gonna be gold any day already.

AAAAAND? Gives team somethign to do while build is going through cert. I mean, nobody says it;s going to be on retail disk, most likely just day 1 patch

Lren

Gonna use this beta to decide what system I want to get this for. Really leaning PS4 even though I haven't had a chance to try it on it yet. Looks amazing on my pc but my god UPlay is finicky.

I love the game but my main worries:

1) Dedicated servers and low player count. Where is 16 vs 16 and 32 vs 32?

2) Having to lock on with a Z-target mechanic is a hinderence to fighting multiple opponents effectively. I find this implementation clunky.

3) I don't think the revenge mechanic has enough visual feedback. It feels very gamey and out of place, though I do not mind its function.

4) Worried about the amount of maps- I see the static nature of the maps growing stale over time. I'd be a good idea to launch with these maps across different seasons so you have a fall, summer, autumn, winter version of each of these maps. I'd give more variation using the same asset. A day/night cycle would also be welcome.

5) Worried about soldiers- As canonfodder they are supposed to be replaceable but they seem like they are copy pasted and half arsed to me. Add some variation in the way they look and make them not be telegraphed identical. you could have different types of soldiers- officers, banner carriers, people with war drums, archers. right now its just sword and shield grunts standing in the blob. very boring and takes me out of the game.

6) worried there isn't a whole lot of customization and cosmetic unlocks. there should be for hundreds of hours worth of cool armor and weapon skin unlocks to make your characters stand out.

7) could use some more bind-able and macro-able emote keybinds like "defend", "attack my target", "flank and so on". would makes sense as unlocks as a way to help you communicate. your character does a animation to send to team mates. it makes a lot of sense in a third person game that depends so heavily on animations.

People already can't handle the chaos of 4v4 let alone those high player counts.

3) I don't think the revenge mechanic has enough visual feedback. It feels very gamey and out of place, though I do not mind its function.

You literally go super saiyan, how is there not enough visual feedback?

4) Worried about the amount of maps- I see the static nature of the maps growing stale over time. I'd be a good idea to launch with these maps across different seasons so you have a fall, summer, autumn, winter version of each of these maps. I'd give more variation using the same asset. A day/night cycle would also be welcome.

That's already in the game.

5) Worried about soldiers- As canonfodder they are supposed to be replaceable but they seem like they are copy pasted and half arsed to me. Add some variation in the way they look and make them not be telegraphed identical. you could have different types of soldiers- officers, banner carriers, people with war drums, archers. right now its just sword and shield grunts standing in the blob. very boring and takes me out of the game.

I agree.

People already can't handle the chaos of 4v4 let alone those high player counts.

I think the game creates tunnel vision. Players cannot "handle it" because the mechanics rely on being fixtured on a singular target. A better way to do it; Jedi Knight or Mount and Blade. Gives you a much better sense of your surroundings, hench why the foot soldiers is why you fight them with no lock on.

My worry is that Ubisoft think they can pull a rainbow six out of this. release it in this state and things will work itself out down the road, but unlike rainbow six, this game has a lot higher skill ceiling and I think the game works really well in a 1 v 1, but with the current ideration of the lock-on system and the revenge system, fighting multiple opponents is counter productive. it doesn't matter if its 4 vs 4 or 40 vs 40. the game will work regardless, if you have a free´-view form of blocking with the cursor.
The design of the game is very busy when you literally have two separate input systems for dealing with players and dealing with A.I enemies. It really speaks volumes about the design flaws.

Again- no slant against 1 vs 1. The game is at its best in this, and I am convinced this will be echoed post launch and in reviews. It's just a damn shame that the "big battle" aspect of the game is limited by this design. It seems fixable to me though if they can get out of the ocarina-of-time-lock-on bullshit. It's really baffling to me.

They might try to improve the navigation of changing your targets, but I don't think it will be remotely enough.

You literally go super saiyan, how is there not enough visual feedback?

I mean, it's a cop-out. It's a poor solution to a visual problem. They couldn't do a better fight-multiple-people system so they opted for glowing-like-a-fucking moron. The visual feedback is poor and takes you out of the game.

They should have worked on a system that didn't have to have the feedback rely on unnatural effects or indicators that break the aesthetics of the game. The developed fucked themselves here.

Ricker

I dont have plans to get this but I might try out the OB just to see what it looks and plays like(PS4 Pro)...some Co-op might interest me also...the single player is not really a Campaign per say though right...? its just the same type of fights with NPC's(or bots I guess) ?

I'm very disappointed to hear that the Shugoki, Lawbringer and Valkyrie are still not in this open beta. I guess they really do have issues to balance if they're still not being included.

Oh well. I'll still play, I've gotta test out the PC version~!

-Deimos

I dont have plans to get this but I might try out the OB just to see what it looks and plays like(PS4 Pro)...some Co-op might interest me also...the single player is not really a Campaign per say though right...? its just the same type of fights with NPC's(or bots I guess) ?
There is a traditional single player campaign with story.

Kei-

Really liking elimination from the videos I've seen. That might be the go-to mode when my friends are on, over dominion. However I'm not sure I like the pick ups, they seem too strong, especially the shield.

Not gonna be reactionary and cry "OP OP" though, gonna play it for myself next week and see if it hasn't even been changed since those videos. Too many streamers playing this game and calling things "cheap" and spreading misinformation because they didn't bother to learn the system, like with most other traditional fighting games. People are complaining about guard breaks/throws being cheap because they can't do anything and have to eat the guaranteed damage.

Also it's funny that people call you a cheater or dishonorable or something if you throw them off the stage for the win, or if you help your partner after killing your opponent in a 2v2. Like you had some gentleman's agreement or something.

Sande

I don't blame players for fall deaths but I do blame the level design. At least in 1v1 way too many maps are near a ledge. It's just not a fun way to end a duel, being one shot by an attack that's not all that difficult to land.

Fires and spikes would be much more interesting. Tactical environmental hazards that don't feel like cheap instakills.

-Deimos

I don't blame players for fall deaths but I do blame the level design. At least in 1v1 way too many maps are near a ledge. It's just not a fun way to end a duel, being one shot by an attack that's not all that difficult to land.

Fires and spikes would be much more interesting. Tactical environmental hazards that don't feel like cheap instakills.
Once you get better at the game and can anticipate and react to ledge throws, it becomes a lot more interesting.

Sande

Once you get better at the game and can anticipate and react to ledge throws, it becomes a lot more interesting.
I'm already pretty good at avoiding it. I still don't think it's a healthy mechanic for the game. Or at least it should be featured in moderation. About half of the duel maps have a constant threat of being thrown off.

Artdayne

2) Having to lock on with a Z-target mechanic is a hinderence to fighting multiple opponents effectively. I find this implementation clunky.

6) worried there isn't a whole lot of customization and cosmetic unlocks. there should be for hundreds of hours worth of cool armor and weapon skin unlocks to make your characters stand out.

7) could use some more bind-able and macro-able emote keybinds like "defend", "attack my target", "flank and so on". would makes sense as unlocks as a way to help you communicate. your character does a animation to send to team mates. it makes a lot of sense in a third person game that depends so heavily on animations.

There are tons of customization and cosmetic unlocks. I've honestly never heard that complaint before, I wish I could find you the other thread where I was posting some of the end game gear and it looks REALLY good. There are a lot of engravings, you can change the gender of half of the characters, skin color of them all, you can add unique engravings, designs, color pallets, there's really a lot of customization.

As to the Z-targeting, I do see that it is a bit harder to fight multiple enemies with that system but there's still enough freedom of movement to handle 2-3 opponents at once, sometimes even 4 if the skill gap is huge between you and those attacking you.

There are a lot of chat options tied to R1 to give your team directions or ask for help at your location.

I wouldn't worry too much about the soldiers, there is a solution but I'm under NDA about a different game mode I can't really say anything else.

There will be 12 maps on release and there will be even more unlocked that can be purchased by playing the game, maybe even for free. I'm not positive if the maps cost anything or if its just the new characters down the road.

I'm already pretty good at avoiding it. I still don't think it's a healthy mechanic for the game. Or at least it should be featured in moderation. About half of the duel maps have a constant threat of being thrown off.

I do agree, and it makes me think that 1v1 isn't meant to be taken as THE serious mode for the game, but I still don't like it. There are cliffs to throw people off of in the center of the screen and all it takes is one parry or a raw guard break to throw someone off.

There are tons of customization and cosmetic unlocks. I've honestly never heard that complaint before, I wish I could find you the other thread where I was posting some of the end game gear and it looks REALLY good. There are a lot of engravings, you can change the gender of half of the characters, skin color of them all, you can add unique engravings, designs, color pallets, there's really a lot of customization.

As to the Z-targeting, I do see that it is a bit harder to fight multiple enemies with that system but there's still enough freedom of movement to handle 2-3 opponents at once, sometimes even 4 if the skill gap is huge between you and those attacking you.

There are a lot of chat options tied to R1 to give your team directions or ask for help at your location.

I wouldn't worry too much about the soldiers, there is a solution but I'm under NDA about a different game mode I can't really say anything else.

There will be 12 maps on release and there will be even more unlocked that can be purchased by playing the game, maybe even for free. I'm not positive if the maps cost anything or if its just the new characters down the road.

I do agree, and it makes me think that 1v1 isn't meant to be taken as THE serious mode for the game, but I still don't like it. There are cliffs to throw people off of in the center of the screen and all it takes is one parry or a raw guard break to throw someone off.

With customization - the thing is that I fear the game won't have unlocks for long term sustainability. We'll have to see how much they launch with. so far I've not seen things like hairstyles, faces, beards and so on. I think thats a shame!

Didnt mean to come off as negative- I think the game is amazing. maybe there is some techniques from lock on system that makes it easier. maybe if I "git gud" I'll like it more.

sounds good about the soldier:0

-Deimos

With customization - the thing is that I fear the game won't have unlocks for long term sustainability. We'll have to see how much they launch with. so far I've not seen things like hairstyles, faces, beards and so on. I think thats a shame!

Didnt mean to come off as negative- I think the game is amazing. maybe there is some techniques from lock on system that makes it easier. maybe if I "git gud" I'll like it more.

sounds good about the soldier:0
I'm sure they'll add more customization options like they did with Siege.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Very interested in this, I didn't get to play the closed beta but I'll definitely be playing this on PC during the open beta.

The betas for Nioh completely sold me on that, so I'm glad I get to play For Honor before release. May just net them another purchase.

Ferrio

Banned

What's wrong with that? You know the threat is there, you should be prepared for it fully. Hell you can exploit that, because a lot of people try really hard to get that throw that they get tunnel vision.

One of the best aspects of the game to me is how much the terrain effects the combat.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Next Clueless Gamer will be For Honor

C3iaFckUYAANNel.jpg

Top Bottom