• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For people who purchased the PS5 slim whats the verdict?

Mr.Phoenix

got the Spiderman bundle, and wrapped up my phat to gift my godson for Christmas. It's exactly the same as the phat it replaced. I would be lying if I told you its quieter or louder being that from my seating position that is 10ft away from my media console, I couldn't hear the phat and I can't hear this one. Being small is better though, doesn't look obnoxiously big anymore.

Waiting for plates to be sold for it so I can change the color and take out the disk drive.

kiphalfton

got the Spiderman bundle, and wrapped up my phat to gift my godson for Christmas. It's exactly the same as the phat it replaced. I would be lying if I told you its quieter or louder being that from my seating position that is 10ft away from my media console, I couldn't hear the phat and I can't hear this one. Being small is better though, doesn't look obnoxiously big anymore.

Waiting for plates to be sold for it so I can change the color and take out the disk drive.

james-franco-wait-what.gif

thatJohann

I used to have the OG PS5 back when it launched. I was happy with it but eventually got bored and sold it.

3 weeks ago I bought the PS5 Slim and immediately felt annoyed at the fan noise. It’s not a grating noise but just loud. Like you could hear the fans kick in when you launched a game and quiet down when you quit a game.

Today I randomly found the last PS5 fat model produced, with the Spidey 2 game bundle, at Best Buy cause someone returned it unopened.

I bought it to see if I was being anal with the fan noise of the slim and lo and behold its whisper quiet. Night and day vs the Slim. Just packed up the Slim to return it tomorrow.

Sony def lowered the quality of the construction to lower costs and the slim feels cheap and sounds cheap. Get the fat one if you can.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
My mate is very happy with 'Slimmer' revision cuz now PS5 DE actually fits his AV cabinet. It's also just as quiet w/o the BD-drive.

That being said, as a launch PS5 DE owner that has no problem with space, I see around zero incentive to upgrade. Tho Slim really looks nice in person.

//DEVIL//

Don't ever buy the slim if you are a OCD like me when it comes to noise and temps. The Slim is a joke compared to the Ps5 1200 series. Not only it generate way more heat ( more than 10 degrees hotter, but it is also louder )

Hunt down a PS5 1200 series before its too late if you can.

I used to have the OG PS5 back when it launched. I was happy with it but eventually got bored and sold it.

3 weeks ago I bought the PS5 Slim and immediately felt annoyed at the fan noise. It’s not a grating noise but just loud. Like you could hear the fans kick in when you launched a game and quiet down when you quit a game.

Today I randomly found the last PS5 fat model produced, with the Spidey 2 game bundle, at Best Buy cause someone returned it unopened.

I bought it to see if I was being anal with the fan noise of the slim and lo and behold its whisper quiet. Night and day vs the Slim. Just packed up the Slim to return it tomorrow.

Sony def lowered the quality of the construction to lower costs and the slim feels cheap and sounds cheap. Get the fat one if you can.

This is true. many people reported the same thing even on Reddit. it's funny how people were trying to damage control this thing and influencers trying their best to say it's the same as fat the PS5 what a joke Linus is along with his clown team.

Not to mention the toothpick stand they give you and the removal of the other proper stand. lower quality crap from Sony for sure. this is the same as the PS3 going from slim to super slim.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It's louder(but that's never been a issue)
Looks way better.
Nvme drives are giving me higher numbers in the two Slims I installed them in.

violence

My OG PS5 only makes noise if I have a disk in the drive. It will spin that up even if I play a digital game. Sony would rather you buy digital so they make it a touch more annoying to use the drive.

Kupfer

Very quiet and the size is much better IMO, I wanted MW3 so I used Game stops trade in deal and for $100 got the slim with the game by trading in my old ps5.
Huh, so you paid $100 for (a code of?) MW3. What's the deal?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
Don't ever buy the slim if you are a OCD like me when it comes to noise and temps. The Slim is a joke compared to the Ps5 1200 series. Not only it generate way more heat ( more than 10 degrees hotter, but it is also louder )

Being hotter on the shell/vents isn't necessarily bad. It could also mean better air circulation and cooler insides. You want to have the heat on the outside of the console.

Little Mac

Does any one else's Slim, when horizontal, wobble laterally when you touch it? The little stands aren't really providing a rigid support. I think my stands weren't cut right and they don't seed right into the console. I could somehow post a video of the issue I think if it would help.

Not sure if I should return mine or if that's just the way they are. Love the console otherwise. Pretty quiet other than the disc drive checking discs when I power it up. Just bought a 2GB WD SN850x drive for it.

Forth

Neophyte
I sold my Series X and purchased the Slim and it's been fantastic.
When it's on the home page you can't hear it but it does get more audible when starting a game but it's not an unpleasant sound.
I really do prefer this model over the OG when horizontal and it doesn't feel cheap like other people say.

Topher

Gold Member

This is true. many people reported the same thing even on Reddit. it's funny how people were trying to damage control this thing and influencers trying their best to say it's the same as fat the PS5 what a joke Linus is along with his clown team.

Not to mention the toothpick stand they give you and the removal of the other proper stand. lower quality crap from Sony for sure. this is the same as the PS3 going from slim to super slim.

I only believe thermal analysis when they are done by this guy....

austin-evans-1.jpg

Last edited:

Facism

I'll let you know when parcel force updates my tracking from "unable to confirm the status of your package" to something actually useful ;_;

thatJohann

I've gone thru 3 PS5 Slims and on all of them, every time you launch and close a game you hear the fans turn on and off, it's so distracting.

Has anyone been able to find a PS5 Slim with quiet fans? I know it's a lottery but genuinely curious if there exists a Slim that you can't hear the fans going on and off.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'll take my two phats all day. That slim looks like cheap tat and my mate says he can hear theirs while mine are both silent.

I've gone thru 3 PS5 Slims and on all of them, every time you launch and close a game you hear the fans turn on and off, it's so distracting.

Has anyone been able to find a PS5 Slim with quiet fans? I know it's a lottery but genuinely curious if there exists a Slim that you can't hear the fans going on and off.
Mine is dead silent. Never once even heard the thing outside of the one time I put a disc in I of course heard the disc drive spin while installing.

Facism

Mines not completely silent but it's fine with game audio over it. No coil whine, no ps4 jet engine.

Disc drive is garbo though. Super loud when starting a game and randomly spins up even when you're on netflix or other streaming sites. Why it can't just stfu after the first time it's needed to auth a game launch, I don't know.

thatJohann

After three PS5 Slims with loud fans going on and off, I'm happy to say that I finally won the fan lottery. Bought a fourth PS5 Slim on a whim yesterday at Best Buy and it's whisper quiet even when playing taxing games like Spiderman 2. I no longer hear the fans spinning up and down when opening and closing games. About fucking time.

So, for those on the fence, there is a chance you can get a quiet PS5 Slim. Took four of them but I'm finally relieved. Sucks we have to go thru a lottery with Sony's shitty fan outsourcing and QA.

saintjules

After three PS5 Slims with loud fans going on and off, I'm happy to say that I finally won the fan lottery. Bought a fourth PS5 Slim on a whim yesterday at Best Buy and it's whisper quiet even when playing taxing games like Spiderman 2. I no longer hear the fans spinning up and down when opening and closing games. About fucking time.

So, for those on the fence, there is a chance you can get a quiet PS5 Slim. Took four of them but I'm finally relieved. Sucks we have to go thru a lottery with Sony's shitty fan outsourcing and QA.

That doesn't sound like the best of news. I'll stick with my launch PS5 (I wasn't giving that up anyway).

Puscifer

It's even worse for the digital. The 100 bucks was a decent incentive, 50 bucks is barely worth it you night as well buy the disc version and just have more options.

Top Bottom