• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Pre-order and boxart announcement

G Rom

That presentation really was cocky in 2009. I hope we won't get too much of this tomorrow. Also, I don't want a 2011 version of this CG video "made with the video editor in Forza Motorsport 3"...

cjelly said:
I hope someone is going to make a proper catch-all FM4 thread.

If no one volunteers, I'll probably do it.

s4o2f7.jpg

Youtube Link

Shaneus

Tiago Leite said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/s4o2f7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Dat [spoiler]gr[/spoiler]ass.

[QUOTE=brotkasten]I guess you didn't watch the E3 2009 conference?
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUwR9Gcr_M[/url][/QUOTE]
I thought I had... memory ain't what she used to be, it seems.

saladine1 said:
You sir deserve a cookie.
That's exactly what I've been requesting for years!
In reality, whack on a truck turbo on a little Charade, car won't move. Whack in a massive cam into an engine with an ultra low compression ratio, car won't even idle. 1000hp motor without a beefed up diff or gearbox equals blown parts strewn across the track.
You would have consequences for a bad upgrade or tuning decision. Blown motors,blown turbos,oil and water blowouts, temp problems, ignition problems...etc.

I would also love to have the ability to really concentrate on building a bulletproof motor and driveline in indiviual steps:
Bore,hone,deck,grout filling,4 bolt main conversions,dome,flat or dish top pistons,stud or shaft roller rockers,milling and porting heads,valve sizes,thinner gaskets,high or low rise manifolds,port matching,injecting a carby motor and vice versa,6/71 or 8/71 blowers with pulley sizes etc..
Gearbox and diff mods such as corvette servos,manualized auto's, big or small stall converters, transbrakes,Powerglides, Muncies, Borg Warners, 9 inch diff conversions,mini tubs,link rears,strengthened tailshafts, wide rubber, cheesecutters at the front..etc..etc..etc

I know that's all too much for a console game aimed at the masses but boy oh boy, wouldn't it be wonderful if the world was Wonderland!

I like your ideas but I doubt it will ever get that way because it would be too difficult for anyone that is not a gear head to wrap their head around it all. Hell I know quite a bit about cars and while I understood a lot of your post, there is a lot you posted that I don't even understand. haha

But what I would love is a balance between super easy and super complicated. Forza is at a decent spot right now but could be better. Imo, it is way ahead of Gran Turismo though. I just want penalties or consequences for bad upgrade paths. And I want the upgrades I choose to always make a difference.

skyfinch

Spaceman Spiff said:
Kinda lame the 458's daytime DRLs aren't on, but hey, October is still a while away.

16 hours to go. GET HYPED GUYS

They're Kinect activated. Clap your hands twice for lights. Clap them 2 1/2 times to turn off the Xbox.

Shaneus

skyfinch said:
They're Kinect activated. Clap your hands twice for lights. Clap them 2 1/2 times to turn off the Xbox.
Except it doesn't work in Australia. Has to be patched in when we get voice recognition going.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
With studio pictures, which reveal they have been working on Project Gotham Racing 5.
I nearly lost the fap contest to this. Don't joke about this.

If MS announces PGR5 for WP7 tomorrow I'll put a bullet in my iPhone.

I don't post here often enough, but I'm absolutely fucking stoked for what MS has to say aboug Forza 4 tomorrow. I thought I'd be having a fall season that was light on the wallet, but it looks like one game I'll have to pick up for sure is Forza 4.

I'm just a sucker for any 360 racing game with tons of cars that I adore in it :(

saladine1

We'll probably see a pre recorded video of the Stig doing some happy laps in the 458. He then parks the car,comes into onto the stage with fake stage smoke filling the air.

I bet we'll also see the obligatory 'Ask the STIG a question and receive no answer while folding his arms' gig.

Not long now you sons o beeches, not long now 'till the world ends..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
saladine1 said:
We'll probably see a pre recorded video of the Stig doing some happy laps in the 458. He then parks the car,comes into onto the stage with fake stage smoke filling the air.

I bet we'll also see the obligatory 'Ask the STIG a question and receive no answer while folding his arms' gig.

Not long now you sons o beeches, not long now 'till the world ends..
I think Forza will get 10 minutes MAXIMUM on stage. I mean I love flash and all, but I really, really hope Dan just gets up and demos all the big new features with some gameplay instead of talk, teasers and trailers.

Show me dynamic weather. Show me proper replay to youtube rendering. Show me rally tracks. Show me a million polygon Enzo. Show me da hype.

Shaneus

enzo_gt said:
I think Forza will get 10 minutes MAXIMUM on stage. I mean I love flash and all, but I really, really hope Dan just gets up and demos all the big new features with some gameplay instead of talk, teasers and trailers.

Show me dynamic weather. Show me proper replay to youtube rendering. Show me rally tracks. Show me a million polygon Enzo. Show me da hype.
With a separate show/conference set aside for Forza 4 (I think?) then that's probably likely. Hopefully we'll get to hear some more White Zombie, but with 100% new footage.

mclaren777 said:
Jesus, don't get cocky just because McLaren manages to produce something on four wheels once a decade... I'm sorry, I meant every two decades. It's not like Ferrari builds crappy cars like Porsche!

brotkasten said:
Jesus, don't get cocky just because McLaren manages to produce something on four wheels once a decade... I'm sorry, I meant every two decades. It's not like Ferrari builds crappy cars like Porsche!

Funny, cause Porsche are the most reliable ones... by miles.

amar212

brotkasten said:
Of course, it's German engineering after all. Strong, reliable, boring.

Me and 10 of 10 my friends at the end would always opt for Porsche than Ferrari, or any other "supercar" to be honest.

You can be shortly missleaded by superficial emotions of mechovisual experimenting, but pure ratio always brings you back to eternal superform of the Truth.

amar212

Here is the base of new Fanatec wheel.

Wheel-rim is just a showcase of Audi because it was Audi show.

046xy.jpg

Thomas quote:

The wheel which is shown on the picture is not what I will show at E3.

PS: Examine the above picture closely. There are more things to discover. Each element of the base has some reason.

++ VirtualR and GTPlanet++

Also, Thomas told me this in Saturday:

..you will be surprised what we will come up…

Count me highly interested.

> Xbox controller *could* hint multiplatform
> full new motor-housing
> new, more industrial and robust design
> will be interesting, very

G Rom

Where do you see Forza in that picture ? I don't want to break any dreams but the Xbox 360 controller could have been used as a PC controller.

I just want it to be (much) cheaper than the Porsche wheels. I don't care if doesn't have the Porsche badges or the same alcantara found in the Porsche GT2. It could have Dacia badges for all I care as long as it's solid, multiplatform, cheap and has the expected features (FFB, 900°, etc...).

G Rom said:
Where do you see Forza in that picture ? I don't want to break any dreams but the Xbox 360 controller could have been used as a PC controller.

I just want it to be (much) cheaper than the Porsche wheels. I don't care if doesn't have the Porsche badges or the same alcantara found in the Porsche GT2. It could have Dacia badges for all I care as long as it's solid, multiplatform, cheap and has the expected features (FFB, 900°, etc...).

I still don't understand what you guys have against Fanatec wheel, it's no more expensive than Logitech G27. It have better motor than the old Logitech one (I don't know about G27 as I never used it). It's $249.99, have pretty Porsche design (unless you detest all thing Porsche then may be you feel that it's ugly). The pedals set is $49.99 which you can opt to upgrade to the heavy duty one for a lot more. If you want shifter then it's additional $30.00, it's not the greatest shifter (H-shift) but it's not bad. So the whole thing will set you back $329.99.

For that you have a wireless FFB wheel fully compatible with Xbox 360, comes with independent adjustable setting right on the hardware so you can bypass often shitty software setting in game, it's compatible with PS3 (and looks nice too when it lit up in red), and also PC.

I do understand that they are small outfit and the distribution is not widespread and cost more for some but all things being equal I don't get all the whining and complaining about not having afordable wheel for 360.

amar212

G Rom said:
It could have Dacia badges for all I care as long as it's solid, multiplatform, cheap and has the expected features (FFB, 900°, etc...).

It is an oxymoron, right?

And no Forza on pic, you're right. Edited, thanx.

antiquegamer said:
I still don't understand what you guys have against Fanatec wheel, it's no more expensive than Logitech G27. It have better motor than the old Logitech one (I don't know about G27 as I never used it). It's $249.99, have pretty Porsche design (unless you detest all thing Porsche then may be you feel that it's ugly). The pedals set is $49.99 which you can opt to upgrade to the heavy duty one for a lot more. If you want shifter then it's additional $30.00, it's not the greatest shifter (H-shift) but it's not bad. So the whole thing will set you back $329.99.

For that you have a wireless FFB wheel fully compatible with Xbox 360, comes with independent adjustable setting right on the hardware so you can bypass often shitty software setting in game, it's compatible with PS3 (and looks nice too when it lit up in red), and also PC.

I do understand that they are small outfit and the distribution is not widespread and cost more for some but all things being equal I don't get all the whining and complaining about not having afordable wheel for 360.
???

The Driving Force GT is $129 at Newegg. That's what I call an affordable wheel.

G Rom

I have nothing against the Fanatec wheel, I very much would like one actually (I still think about that Road&Track competition from time to time >_<) so that I could play Forza 3 (and 4 this fall) and GT5 with a wheel. What I don't like is that they put unnecessary Porsche stuff that make the wheel pricier than it could be.

Also, the Xbox 360 does lack an affordable DFGT-like wheel. The Fanatec competes with the G27 which is clearly more hardcore.

amar212 said:
It is an oxymoron, right?

Not really. Why do they have to use real expensive alcantara when there are cheaper materials that are absolutely fine ? They should just do two versions of the wheel, a cheapo Porsche-less one and a full fledged Porsche replica.

amar212

G Rom said:
Also, the Xbox 360 does lack an affordable DFGT-like wheel. The Fanatec competes with the G27 which is clearly more hardcore.

Two problems:

> Microsoft licensing
> HID force feedback

I really hate going in circles, but Logitech ceased their DriveFX production because the licensing was too heavy in actual profit-department and since wheel was pretty much a toy - same as X360 official wheel - because of real problems with force feedback representation, which didn't really gave them good reviews and failed in retail.

Same as Microsoft FF wheel.

Fanatec obviously decided to bite the bullet, went into higher quality and sacrificed mass-market affordability > but they had to do it, because in order to have any decent force feedback in HID-controller-protocols you have to have very strong main motor and two additional motors that takes care of rumbling.

Microsoft and their stupid policy towards licensing and lack of proper HID-support is the only one to blame that X360 have no real-deal mass-market wheel.

G Rom said:
Not really. Why do they have to use real expensive alcantara when there are cheaper materials that are absolutely fine ? They should just do two versions of the wheel, a cheapo Porsche-less one and a full fledged Porsche replica.

Fanatec is too small company for that. In order to have mass-market product you need to have great reach and great distribution channels, maybe not in presence such as Logitech does, but somewhere in the middle.

If Thomas produced a cheap wheel he would only raise costs of freight, distribution, marketing and such while operating in the small profit margin. Not viable really if you are a small company.

Retail business is a tricky one, especially when you have a niche product aimed at very small percentage of userbase.

G Rom

Yeah, I know that a DFGT-like is most likely out of the question on the Xbox 360, I was just pointing out to antiquegamer that this affordable price range didn't exist on the Xbox 360. ;)

I do think there's room for the price to go down though. I don't expect the wheel to be 150€, that would be ridiculous but something close to 300€ for the whole package (wheel+pedals+shifter) would be much more acceptable. The stand-alone Porsche 911S was much less expensive than the GT2 and closer to the 200€ mark at one point for example.
I know it won't happen though because the market will pay for a 300+ € stand-alone wheel (just have to see the comment on Thomas' blog about what their next wheel should be) so I understand why they don't lower the price.

brotkasten said:
???

The Driving Force GT is $129 at Newegg. That's what I call an affordable wheel.

Well, if you want just simple wheel then yes I agree. But G-Rom want all the features and Fanatec is no more expensive than G27. For me it's affordable but we are probably looking at it from different perspective. It's something that I will used for years and years and I would rather have a full features wheel rather than buying DFGT and upgrade it later if I want clutch or 900 degree etc.

G Rom said:
Yeah, I know that a DFGT-like is most likely out of the question on the Xbox 360, I was just pointing out to antiquegamer that this affordable price range didn't exist on the Xbox 360. ;)

I do think there's room for the price to go down though. I don't expect the wheel to be 150€, that would be ridiculous but something close to 300€ for the whole package (wheel+pedals+shifter) would be much more acceptable. The stand-alone Porsche 911S was much less expensive than the GT2 and closer to the 200€ mark at one point for example.
I know it won't happen though because the market will pay for a 300+ € stand-alone wheel (just have to see the comment on Thomas' blog about what their next wheel should be) so I understand why they don't lower the price.

I think this is just a way for them to make the wheel more upscale and "worth" the asking price and only way for them to able to make wheel for such small market. I am sure Thomas doesn't make that much profit per wheel ...

*shrug* I like the Porsche stuff .. I think it looks pretty and way better looking than Logitech generic wheel.

Top Bottom