• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Pre-order and boxart announcement

Diablohead said:
ONE DAY I will own a triple screen setup and a racing seat, one day...
Haha, yeah that would be awesome. The first and probably last time I tried that was on a Sega Ferrari arcade unit years ago!

brotkasten said:
Too bad you can't buy a decent wheel for a good price.
I wonder why MS stopped the prodution of their wheel? I know it isn't a G25/27 or even the GT Force one with 900 degrees which I used a hell of a lot during GT4, but it's an okay wheel for the original retail price. I'm so glad I found the last one (the packaging was really dusty) in a store a few years back!

saladine1

I know budget is a discerning factor but imo, to get the full experience of a game like GT, SHIFT or FM, a full ball 900 deg,H shifter and decent clutch setup is king. It adds so much to the game that it makes it feel completely different from stock.
I really wonder how much more people would've played Forza if a decent setup was on offer.

Realistically speaking, could MS offer a full fledged setup?

saladine1 said:
I know budget is a discerning factor but imo, to get the full experience of a game like GT, SHIFT or FM, a full ball 900 deg,H shifter and decent clutch setup is king. It adds so much to the game that it makes it feel completely different from stock.
I really wonder how much more people would've played Forza if a decent setup was on offer.

It would be nice if they did, but I just don't know if they see the large earnings in doing so. The Kinect support also kills the chances somewhat, I would think MS rather wants people to buy that instead of a wheel.

G Rom

amar212 said:
I would drastically separate light/medium/heavy tuned cars (through some virtual percentage of modification) into separate categories in order to prevent their usage in both offline and online and balancing the overall experience.

You see, I disagree completely with you there and I think it's one of the biggest difference between GT and Forza actually. GT isn't oriented toward tuning and customizing contrary to Forza.
I like the fact that in Forza I can buy a car and make it my own by tuning it, buying a livery and all that shit. I like how I can tune a car to compete with better cars or even supercars.

Would I want Turn 10 to refocus on racing ? Sure, especially after the unbalanced economy on the storefront caused by the painter earning way too much compared to racers.
Would I want them to drop the livery aspect ? Absolutely not, Forza would loose pretty much all of its "soul" IMO.

BTW, looking for wheels, I came across that. From the look of it, it's a really shitty wheel with sequential gear and vibration feedback but it's compatible with all three platforms like the 911S and GT2. If someone can build a cross-platform wheel with such a low price, it makes me question Logitech's motive (price supposedly) for not releasing an Xbox 360 compatible G27...

Edit : The wheel isn't official (as in MS approved) apparently, damn ! :(

G Rom said:
You see, I disagree completely with you there and I think it's one of the biggest difference between GT and Forza actually. GT isn't oriented toward tuning and customizing contrary to Forza.
I like the fact that in Forza I can buy a car and make it my own by tuning it, buying a livery and all that shit. I like how I can tune a car to compete with better cars or even supercars.
Totally agree, if I can tune a shitty VW Golf into competing with Ferrari's and win, then I should be able too. It usually ends up being a car you have real difficulties to control, but then it's even more fun to win with a really tuned up low-end car. The safe option is to buy a car in the class you are competing and maintain a high level of car control is there too, so everyone is happy.

saladine1 said:

I don't think they could at least not at affordable price point anyway. And MS would muck it up by using shitty components to reduce cost and then end up with crappy product again. Aside from standard controller, they have completely gotten out of making wheels and thing like flightstick.

I think these stuff are better off leaving to 3rd party. I am happy with my Fanatec wheel and stand set up. Not the most ideal but it also doesn't take up half of my room. I am planning to get better pedals set and shifters this year since the one that came with Turbo S is kinda cheap.

antiquegamer said:
What's wrong with Fanatec wheel? It's decently price and compatible with all 3 platform.
For 240 bucks I got a pretty good wheel, a shifter that doesn't suck and a decent set of pedals. With the Fanatec you only get a pretty good wheel for a higher price. I didn't like the standard pedals that much and the shifter is laughable. The G27 is the better package in my opinion and I won't pay 100 bucks more just to play Forza with a wheel.

G Rom said:

Would I want Turn 10 to refocus on racing ? Sure, especially after the unbalanced economy on the storefront caused by the painter earning way too much compared to racers.
Would I want them to drop the livery aspect ? Absolutely not, Forza would loose pretty much all of its "soul" IMO.
I completely agree. The concept of owning a car is much bigger in Forza, because you can do everything you want with it. It really is your car and you can give it a personal touch.

Pepto

Banned
brotkasten said:
For 240 bucks I got a pretty good wheel, a shifter that doesn't suck and a decent set of pedals. With the Fanatec you only get a pretty good wheel for a higher price. I didn't like the standard pedals that much and the shifter is laughable.
What's wrong with the shifter?

brotkasten said:
The G27 is the better package in my opinion and I won't pay 100 bucks more just to play Forza with a wheel.
On the flipside, there are plenty of us who think that the Fanatec is the better package, InsideSimRacing included.

Related, I'm looking forward to getting the clubsport shifter. :D

amar212

G Rom said:

You misunderstood my point. I am very fond of tuning and I consider it as very important part of any driving game of this style.

My personal love towards stock-cars has nothing to do with it, it just always ends up with having 2 same models of same car, one tuned, other stock.

My point is that overall tuning-approach - where Forza obliterate all competition with options and execution, no doubt about it - should be made more "real". I would like to see handicaps of tuning where inappropriate modification (slamming only biggest turbo on some 2.0 engine for example without any other improvements) would not take you anywhere and eventually would destroy the car. It would call for introduction of "ownership/maintenance" approach of course, but it would also add a whole new dimension into everything.

In light of existing deep and all-around approach to tuning itself I would really like to see that overall mechanical and component-wear be introduced, together with some "tuning-consequence" algorithm.

But nevermind, I am sure that many improvements are in the oven and there are just few days until the pie is ready :)

Pepto said:
What's wrong with the shifter?

I have to agree with him, the shifter do suck. The H-gate one stuck constantly and mine eventually broke, but the sequential shifter work fine. Standard pedal is good but Logitech one is better.

Anyway, I really don't understand why Logitech doesn't make Xbox 360 wheel aside from the fact that may be they don't feel that there's a viable market for it.

antiquegamer said:
I have to agree with him, the shifter do suck. The H-gate one stuck constantly and mine eventually broke, but the sequential shifter work fine. Standard pedal is good but Logitech one is better.

Anyway, I really don't understand why Logitech doesn't make Xbox 360 wheel aside from the fact that may be they don't feel that there's a viable market for it.
technology_092a_002.jpg

Not really great though, and they dont make it anymore.

Its all about them not felling the cost is worth it, and Microsoft going its on way in how they choose to implement things.

saladine1

amar212 said:
My point is that overall tuning-approach - where Forza obliterate all competition with options and execution, no doubt about it - should be made more "real". I would like to see handicaps of tuning where inappropriate modification (slamming only biggest turbo on some 2.0 engine for example without any other improvements) would not take you anywhere and eventually would destroy the car. It would call for introduction of "ownership/maintenance" approach of course, but it would also add a whole new dimension into everything.

In light of existing deep and all-around approach to tuning itself I would really like to see that overall mechanical and component-wear be introduced, together with some "tuning-consequence" algorithm.

But nevermind, I am sure that many improvements are in the oven and there are just few days until the pie is ready :)
You sir deserve a cookie.
That's exactly what I've been requesting for years!
In reality, whack on a truck turbo on a little Charade, car won't move. Whack in a massive cam into an engine with an ultra low compression ratio, car won't even idle. 1000hp motor without a beefed up diff or gearbox equals blown parts strewn across the track.
You would have consequences for a bad upgrade or tuning decision. Blown motors,blown turbos,oil and water blowouts, temp problems, ignition problems...etc.

I would also love to have the ability to really concentrate on building a bulletproof motor and driveline in indiviual steps:
Bore,hone,deck,grout filling,4 bolt main conversions,dome,flat or dish top pistons,stud or shaft roller rockers,milling and porting heads,valve sizes,thinner gaskets,high or low rise manifolds,port matching,injecting a carby motor and vice versa,6/71 or 8/71 blowers with pulley sizes etc..
Gearbox and diff mods such as corvette servos,manualized auto's, big or small stall converters, transbrakes,Powerglides, Muncies, Borg Warners, 9 inch diff conversions,mini tubs,link rears,strengthened tailshafts, wide rubber, cheesecutters at the front..etc..etc..etc

I know that's all too much for a console game aimed at the masses but boy oh boy, wouldn't it be wonderful if the world was Wonderland!

Psychotext said:
On the flipside, there are plenty of us who think that the Fanatec is the better package, InsideSimRacing included.

Related, I'm looking forward to getting the clubsport shifter. :D
Again, I got a complete set from Logitech for 240. For that price you won't even get the wheel from Fanatec, let alone pedals and a shifter. Considering that Forza is the only racing game worth playing on the Xbox, I don't think that the Fanatec is the better deal. Sucks that you have to pay 100 bucks to get a good shifter.

Fanatec shifter is fine for the money, it could do with being a little looser and quieter but it gets the job done, I didn't like G25's shifter at all.

I'll probably ditch it for the Clubsport when that comes out.

brotkasten said:
Again, I got a complete set from Logitech for 240. For that price you won't even get the wheel from Fanatec, let alone pedals and a shifter. Considering that Forza is the only racing game worth playing on the Xbox, I don't think that the Fanatec is the better deal. Sucks that you have to pay 100 bucks to get a good shifter.
And GT5 is the only racing game thats worth playing on the PS3, so the better deal is to have the wheel that lets you play on XBOX, PS3 and PC.

ShapeGSX

I love my Fanatec GT2. I don't even have the shifter. I just paddle shift. It is more in line with most performance cars these days, anyway. A game will never acceptably replicate shifting with a clutch, so I don't even bother.

The Clubsport pedals are amazing, too.

soundscream said:
And GT5 is the only racing game thats worth playing on the PS3, so the better deal is to have the wheel that lets you play on XBOX, PS3 and PC.
For at least 100 bucks more, yeah. At least Forza 4 doesn't have a permanent driving aid anymore what makes the wheel useless.

saladine1 said:
I know that's all too much for a console game aimed at the masses but boy oh boy, wouldn't it be wonderful if the world was Wonderland!

Sounds good, but I suppose it would also have licensing repercussions. "What do you mean if people don't pay attention when upgrading our car, it'll blow up?"

Pepto

Banned
brotkasten said:
For at least 100 bucks more, yeah. At least Forza 4 doesn't have a permanent driving aid anymore what makes the wheel useless.
How does it make the wheel useless?

brotkasten said:
Again, I got a complete set from Logitech for 240. For that price you won't even get the wheel from Fanatec, let alone pedals and a shifter.
When I bought my Fanatec wheel it was actually the same price as the G27 (No-where was selling the G25 in the UK... not that it's a comparable wheel).

saladine1 said:
You sir deserve a cookie.
That's exactly what I've been requesting for years!
In reality, whack on a truck turbo on a little Charade, car won't move. Whack in a massive cam into an engine with an ultra low compression ratio, car won't even idle. 1000hp motor without a beefed up diff or gearbox equals blown parts strewn across the track.
You would have consequences for a bad upgrade or tuning decision. Blown motors,blown turbos,oil and water blowouts, temp problems, ignition problems...etc.

I would also love to have the ability to really concentrate on building a bulletproof motor and driveline in indiviual steps:
Bore,hone,deck,grout filling,4 bolt main conversions,dome,flat or dish top pistons,stud or shaft roller rockers,milling and porting heads,valve sizes,thinner gaskets,high or low rise manifolds,port matching,injecting a carby motor and vice versa,6/71 or 8/71 blowers with pulley sizes etc..
Gearbox and diff mods such as corvette servos,manualized auto's, big or small stall converters, transbrakes,Powerglides, Muncies, Borg Warners, 9 inch diff conversions,mini tubs,link rears,strengthened tailshafts, wide rubber, cheesecutters at the front..etc..etc..etc

I agree completely. I would want the upgrade process to be more part specific...but ultimately the direction for Forza is to be a racing game for the masses, so they will sacrifice pinpoint tuning for mass appeal every time, and i understand that. the tuning process is pretty good as is, so i give them a pass if it isnt super detailed.

really more than that would be some kind of ballast system. i feel that a PI matched pair of cars should be really competitive to each other, regardless of chassis. i love the concept of an online ballast being added to dominant cars in match play. the best hoppers in FM3 are the hoppers where cars are matched (racing wise) and i would love for the hopper to balance all the A500 cars, for example, so you still race your ride but arent going to be smoked every time by the S5 or AWD Viper in the room.

amar212

Regarding wheels, shifters and pedals > just few clarifications:

Japanese Frex produces ultimate Shift+ sequential shifter that fits Fanatec PWTS/GT2 wheel. With postage from Japan to Croatia I payed it less than 150 euro and in my world it is worth every penny. You have to solider PS2 port by yourself and solider 2 wires depending of your up/down sequential preference - but from there on it works flawlessly on both XB/PS3.

7MFmH.jpg

We still don't know any details regarding Clubsport Shifter - will it be H-gate/sequential - and Thomas didn't report anything as he promised on GTPlanet. I still have high hopes he's not flying all the way to LA just to announce that shifter.

Than, not many people know that Fanatec models are compatible with Logitech "G" series pedals. With small VGA/PS2 adapter (comes with every Fanatec wheel) you can use your G25/G27 pedals on any Fanatec wheel. In praxis, it means you would have to only buy a GT2 wheel (for example) if you already own G25/27 n order to have great X360 wheel. It costs 250 euro moneyz, but wheel itself is great and I enjoy it since day 1.

Regarding G25/27 H-shifter-feel (which is wrong for me and I never use it on my G25), there is very, very serious H-shifter for G25/27, also developed by Frex Co., but it have ridiculous price of 600 euros. However, that is the proper H-shifter with synchros, separate steergates for each shift and so on. With that price it is - whatever.

hshifttypegside01_640.jpg

saladine1

Who wants a job at Turn 10?

Posted June 1st:
...This role reports directly to the Studio Technical Art Director and involves defining and driving technical content creation methods and processes that aim to efficiently and cost effectively achieve exceptionally high quality game content for our Next Generation games including Kinect....

Posted 18th May:
Turn 10 Studios, the creators of the Forza Motorsport franchise and a division of Microsoft Game Studios, is looking an experienced, dynamic and inspiring Executive Producer to explore expanding Forza franchise in new directions, and execute with the internal team and external development partners....

Turn 10 Jobs

E3 bitches, we shall see FM4 at E3!

G Rom

saladine1 said:
Who wants a job at Turn 10?

Posted June 1st:

Posted 18th May:

Turn 10 Jobs

E3 bitches, we shall see FM4 at E3!

Seems like Turn 10 really is growing. The screenshot/video jobs, a new addition in the community team and now that.
It's probably related to FM3's success. Last time I checked, the leaderboard was very close to 4 million entries. All in all, the game is probably sitting at 5 or 6 million of copies sold so Microsoft probably granted more things to Turn 10.

Anyway, less than one day to go now.

skyfinch

G Rom said:
Seems like Turn 10 really is growing. The screenshot/video jobs, a new addition in the community team and now that.
It's probably related to FM3's success. Last time I checked, the leaderboard was very close to 4 million entries. All in all, the game is probably sitting at 5 or 6 million of copies sold so Microsoft probably granted more things to Turn 10.

Anyway, less than one day to go now.

If Dan walks out to that song, I will freak!

G Rom

If a wheel was to be announced, I don't expect it at the conference and I wouldn't want conference time to be wasted on that anyway.

skyfinch said:
If Dan walks out to that song, I will freak!

Ah, ah, that would we awesome ! Do it Microsoft !

So we've got the MS press conference tomorrow, the IGN live show demo Tuesday, and the dedicated FM4 event Wednesday. In addition, there's the press writeups from the Turn 10 studio tour a while back, and all the official news and media from FM.net.

Should be enough to keep us busy for a while.

Bring it.

TheOddOne

Spaceman Spiff said:
So we've got the MS press conference tomorrow, the IGN live show demo Tuesday, and the dedicated FM4 event Wednesday. In addition, there's the press writeups from the Turn 10 studio tour a while back, and all the official news and media from FM.net.

Should be enough to keep us busy for a while.

Bring it.
With studio pictures, which reveal they have been working on Project Gotham Racing 5.

Shaneus

brotkasten said:
I expect a 458 in the background, but Dan won't drive it. It will still look badass.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/Dan_Greenawalt_unveiling_Forza_Motorsport_3_at_E309.jpg/800px-Dan_Greenawalt_unveiling_Forza_Motorsport_3_at_E309.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've never seen that picture before! Pretty much what I was visualising. More hoping that the smoke would be generated from Dan lighting em up in a 458, but beggars can't be choosy.

Top Bottom