• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Pre-order and boxart announcement

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
5761378105_1cdc57156d_z.jpg

Imagine this thing (picture it in your head) without the entire kinect bar on top, I'll let the big centered FIII logo slide for a second, now take a look at it, shit looks even classy if done like that..

That fucking kinect bar is an atrocity, some people MUST feel the same way I do about that shit.

derFeef

alphaNoid said:
Looks much better for sure, but I really do not 'hate' the purple Kinect bar.. I mean they basically need that to pop so that consumers become more familiarized with the brand. But, the stripped version you have looks better.
Sorry, but a black bar is bad for many, many reasons. I can't believe someone hates a color so much.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Syringe said:
But none of the pictures of the car pack matches these descriptions. Totally different models, am I missing something here?

Ecause they're not pictures of the car pack.

eso76

car showroom looked a bit better/more realistic in the leaked video tbh, but might be because of diff. locations.
Still looks good though, anyway, i don't think we're getting image based lighting ingame so that's basically a pretty screensaver.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
derFeef said:
Sorry, but a black bar is bad for many, many reasons. I can't believe someone hates a color so much.

It's going to take time for that shit in its current state to grow on me, it's repulsive at the moment, I don't have an issue with the color it self, it's the fact that it's surrounded by other colors and random design elements that have nothing to do with the stripe itself..

I also love the hand-wringing going on. I like good boxart as much as anyone, and am in on any LM they offer, but it just ends up on a shelf anyway. big picture the Boxart is peanuts.

besides, the FM3 boxart was pretty damn slick...

forza_ms3_limited_edition.jpg

brentech

As quoted up high, have a little issue with the lighting, the surfaces just look overdone.
But....as I just opened my real photo archive, I'll reserve further judgement for when they show us the cars in natural light environment.

Basically, some pictures I took at the Cleveland IX center...a different style lighting, but you get the idea.

5761453425_b49508e452_b.jpg

Links to others to compare:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2025/5761453745_b8d17108b9_b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5107/5761453657_33ce15e8bd_b.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5307/5761997250_aa0bb9b006_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/5761453505_a83f9dd46a_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/5761453339_f60424fa7c_b.jpg

So, starting to think it's not so much the lighting that I have a problem with as it is the surfaces just don't look like metal. Hopefully they'll release some other images soon.

G Rom

derFeef said:
Something is still wrong with the material, it looks plastic-y. Are we sure that is from the game engine, because that shot with the GT looked way better. (because of the backdrop?).

The new shots look better than this IMO :
5255914744_b1fa1cc959_b.jpg

But work still needs to be done on materials. The rims look like plastic wheels instead of metal :
BMW-1M-Coupe-side.jpg

AlanzTalon said:
I would still be really surprised....they have been in every forza title thus far, even after EAs supposed "exclusive" deal was on. Wasn't it mentioned that the exclusive is related to promotion only...they can't use Porsche to promote the game in marketing but they can still be in the game? or did i just make that up?

Wasn't it kind of the same thing for Ferrari in GT5?

You're not making this up. Turn 10 said during the development of Forza 3 that it's a nightmare to get medias about Porsche out because EA has to actually approve them before...

Syringe said:
But none of the pictures of the car pack matches these descriptions. Totally different models, am I missing something here?

The listed models come with the first copies while the screenshot cars seem to be pre-order cars...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
On the one hand, profile importing is awesome, that was my one big request.

On the other hand... RUF? Ruh-roh. If that means that Porsche isn't in, I'm out.

samoset

I hope that they reissue the 360 racing wheel for this release. I was checking on Amazon last night and the price of new wheels was about $700 since they discontinued it.

Wazzim

Banned
brentech said:
As quoted up high, have a little issue with the lighting, the surfaces just look overdone.
But....as I just opened my real photo archive, I'll reserve further judgement for when they show us the cars in natural light environment.

Basically, some pictures I took at the Cleveland IX center...a different style lighting, but you get the idea.

So, starting to think it's not so much the lighting that I have a problem with as it is the surfaces just don't look like metal. Hopefully they'll release some other images soon.
I took this shot at the AutoRai 2011 (Amsterdam)
img_1513nspa.jpg

The reflections are a lot less extreme IRL and that's in a big convention center not a garage like the screenshots.

plc268

Diablohead said:
I felt like editing the box :p

2zpiq1t.png

I don't care much about the purple bar, but that's much better alone for getting rid of the FIII logo.

It's like saying: Forza 3: Forza Motorsport 4
It's redundant, it's wrong.

samoset said:
I hope that they reissue the 360 racing wheel for this release. I was checking on Amazon last night and the price of new wheels was about $700 since they discontinued it.

Or open up the 360 to allow for more 3rd party wheels.

It has been a tiny goal of mine to get more into the GAF crowd for FM4, I need to get out of racing with completely random folks, even though i have found more than a few good LIVE folks in the hoppers.

plc268 said:
I don't care much about the purple bar, but that's much better alone for getting rid of the FIII logo.

It's like saying: Forza 3: Forza Motorsport 4
It's redundant, it's wrong.
the logo is an "F" and an "M" not an "F" and a "III"

it took me awhile to erase the 3 from my brain and see an M....I mean, i agree they should do something different, but Branding folks are weird about their IPs, and that logo is an established trademark at this point.

AlanzTalon said:

it took me awhile to erase the 3 from my brain and see an M....I mean, i agree they should do something different, but Branding folks are weird about their IPs, and that logo is an established trademark at this point.
Thing is the logo looks like it was designed to be both the F, M and 3 for forza 3, now that we are on forza 4 why stick with it? forza 1 and 2 used unique looking logos while 4 get's shoehorned with the F3

DodgerSan

Dynoro said:
If you have no kinect sensor you miss out on some of the features (like walking around the vehicles and inspecting them). You may not care about these features but it is better with a kinect
So is it confirmed that you miss out on that stuff (and Clarkson?) if you don't have kinect? Or is it just *better* with kinect?

plc268

Diablohead said:
Thing is the logo looks like it was designed to be both the F, M and 3 for forza 3, not that we are on forza 4 why stick with it? forza 1 and 2 used unique looking logos while 4 get's shoehorned with the F3

Yea, exactly. Sure, the III represents an M, but since that logo debuted with F3, it's hard not to see it as FIII. I'm pretty sure the original intention was exactly that, to make it FIII.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Diablohead said:
Thing is the logo looks like it was designed to be both the F, M and 3 for forza 3, now that we are on forza 4 why stick with it? forza 1 and 2 used unique looking logos while 4 get's shoehorned with the F3

Exactly.

G Rom

Diablohead said:

They simply want to have a recognizable logo like GT has.

JaggedSac

TheOddOne said:
JaggedSac, what the hell did you post?

Lol, just trying to find some pics to compare the reflections in real life to those in Forza. Found a pic with some pretty harsh lighting.

TheOddOne

JaggedSac said:
Lol, just trying to find some pics to compare the reflections in real life to those in Forza. Found a pic with some pretty harsh lighting.
I saw it when it was embedded. Thought it was FM ingame lol.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
plc268 said:
Or open up the 360 to allow for more 3rd party wheels.

This would be a Megaton if they announced this at E3.

Please Microsoft.. PLEASE. (I wish :( )

Cannot wait for this, Forza is easily my favourite console racing series. Do not give a shit what the box looks like as I will possibly see it about twice a year. (when the game enters my console and leaves it)

I just hope to god there is a 1959-2000 Mini Cooper. I love racing with car's I own :D

Dynoro

DodgerSan said:
So is it confirmed that you miss out on that stuff (and Clarkson?) if you don't have kinect? Or is it just *better* with kinect?
Good point; I don't believe it has been confirmed as yet

iamcenok

Ms already had my money on this one. However... fuck those preorder cars, don't care for any of them aside from the subbie

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Love the profile import feature. I hope the Collectors Edition is more like F2 than F3. I use the USB and keychain, but I would rather have a nice book detailing the cars.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Diablohead said:
yes.

bisonyes.gif

That works a lot better.

I'm still not digging that "4" though someone should work on it lol.. Too much bevel shine on it.

I gotta go to sleep :(

Deadman

They announced any tracks yet or is that an e3 reveal thing?

Its probably time to start the "omg spa please" cycle of excitement and then dissapointment that precedes every racing game release.

AlanzTalon said:

Established trademark, whaaaat? Every Forza game had a different logo.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for E3. I imagine it has been mentioned before, but it would be sweet if the Top Gear guys are at the Forza presser or the main conference.

brotkasten said:
Established trademark, whaaaat? Every Forza game had a different logo.

right, which is why i say they wanted to establish this logo. listen, i am armchair quarterbacking here like everyone else. I spend way more hours than i like with marketing and branding folks, and they don't like changing logos, because with all the work they do to beat a logo into consumers brains to associate it to a brand, they don't want to start over every year of two.

Love it or hate it, someone in a conference room decided that it will be the logo that represents the Forza brand for Microsoft. they decided it is an F and an M and that is what it will be, and it was worth making a few dudes on the internet huff and puff about it rather than reset the brand to another logo.

my .02

G Rom

Deadman said:
They announced any tracks yet or is that an e3 reveal thing?

Its probably time to start the "omg spa please" cycle of excitement and then dissapointment that precedes every racing game release.

Nothing official but here are the potential tracks :

Myself in this thread said:
Indianapolis (boxart+video) and Hockeinheimring (BADNED hint+video) have a very high probability to be in the game.

Myself in the leaked video thread said:
- Top Gear Test Track (1 track ribbon + maybe drag strips ribbons)
- Hockhenheimring (1 track ribbon + 1 drag strips ribbon)
- Alpine track (probably several track ribbons)
- Infineon Raceway (2 track ribbons + 3 drag strips ribbons)
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2 track ribbons)
- 24h Nurbürgring layout, it would be ridiculous not to have it now that they have the Nordschleife and the GP...

Edit : So here is the explanation about the cars, seriously fuck this shit !
• Available at Amazon.com- Subaru Impreza WRX STI: The Subaru Impreza WRX STI is the highest standard-edition trim in the Subaru compact car line. The STI is recognized as a speed demon on race tracks, winning first place at Super GT in 2008.
• Available at Best Buy- BMW 1 Series M Coupe: Reaching top speeds of 250 km/h, the 1 Series M Coupe is the high-performance version of the famed BMW 1 Series Coupe.
• Available at GameStop- Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde: The creation of Italian automaker Alfa Romeo and first introduced at the March 2010 Geneva Motor Show, the Giulietta contains an exclusive Quadrifoglio Verde configuration with a 1.7L turbocharged engine that will steer you to victory.
• Available at Wal-Mart- MINI John Cooper Works Clubman: MINI enthusiasts around the world rejoice! The JCW Clubman sports a 1.6-liter four-cylinder MINI engine that has been tuned and turbocharged to include 208 horsepower and 192 pound-feet of torque.
• Available at Target – Honda CR-Z EX: The Honda CR-Z EX is Honda’s sport hybrid with an ultra-modern and sporty look, featuring 16” wheels and tires, low-to-the-ground stance and swooping bodywork. Additionally, its six-speed manual transmission makes it the only hybrid with three pedals.

This same list of cars is available in other regions worldwide and more information for those regions is coming soon.

AlanzTalon said:
I would still be really surprised....they have been in every forza title thus far, even after EAs supposed "exclusive" deal was on. Wasn't it mentioned that the exclusive is related to promotion only...they can't use Porsche to promote the game in marketing but they can still be in the game? or did i just make that up?

Wasn't it kind of the same thing for Ferrari in GT5?

That deal was after Forza 3 was released. They basically said Porches are now exclusive to NFS. And considering there wasn't a logo for them in the leaked trailer... It's looking pretty grim :/

saladine1 said:
Image based lighting looks shit confirmed..
Not that I agree with him but... what does that have to do with reflections? :p

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
That deal was after Forza 3 was released. They basically said Porches are now exclusive to NFS. And considering there wasn't a logo for them in the leaked trailer... It's looking pretty grim :/

Are you sure about this ? I'm pretty sure that EA has had an exclusive deal with Porsche for more than 10 years now.

Top Bottom