• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Pre-order and boxart announcement

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
G Rom said:
Nothing official but here are the potential tracks :

i hope they have a huge selection of tracks, shift 2 has spoiled me. also, some more incredible p2p stages hidden within an epic loop of road ala positano and fuji kaido would be a very welcome addition. its the least they can do for rally fans, as i've given up hope of them implementing a rally mode ala gt any time soon.

Falagard

brotkasten said:
Established trademark, whaaaat? Every Forza game had a different logo.

Yeah, but the point is every game shouldn't have had a different logo if they're trying to establish a recognized brand logo, so they're best bet is to take the most recent logo (used for Forza 3) and adopt something as close as possible.

op_ivy

G Rom said:
Edit : So here is the explanation about the cars, seriously fuck this shit !
• Available at Amazon.com- Subaru Impreza WRX STI: The Subaru Impreza WRX STI is the highest standard-edition trim in the Subaru compact car line. The STI is recognized as a speed demon on race tracks, winning first place at Super GT in 2008.
• Available at Best Buy- BMW 1 Series M Coupe: Reaching top speeds of 250 km/h, the 1 Series M Coupe is the high-performance version of the famed BMW 1 Series Coupe.
• Available at GameStop- Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde: The creation of Italian automaker Alfa Romeo and first introduced at the March 2010 Geneva Motor Show, the Giulietta contains an exclusive Quadrifoglio Verde configuration with a 1.7L turbocharged engine that will steer you to victory.
• Available at Wal-Mart- MINI John Cooper Works Clubman: MINI enthusiasts around the world rejoice! The JCW Clubman sports a 1.6-liter four-cylinder MINI engine that has been tuned and turbocharged to include 208 horsepower and 192 pound-feet of torque.
• Available at Target – Honda CR-Z EX: The Honda CR-Z EX is Honda’s sport hybrid with an ultra-modern and sporty look, featuring 16” wheels and tires, low-to-the-ground stance and swooping bodywork. Additionally, its six-speed manual transmission makes it the only hybrid with three pedals.

This same list of cars is available in other regions worldwide and more information for those regions is coming soon.

that is really lame - buuut, the only car i care about in that list is the amazon car and thats where i'll be placing my order, so i wont get too worked up about it

it supposedly went all the way back to Porsche unleashed, right?

I mean, business is business, and now that EA has a dog in the sim fight, i could see them throwing money to make people think twice about it. on the other hand, MS and EA are about making money, this is a AAA release and MS no doubt would ask what EA's price is.

I guess i will believe it when we get a full answer either way (by complete list of a straight answer).

Was RUF only available in GT5? did porsche make it in that one?

you know those pre-order cars will all land in a DLC pack at some point. or they will end up available on the auction house or something.

G Rom

Cuban Legend said:
OH GOD.

Why is my precious SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI a preorder car!?? It better be available in as a US preorder option.

Just look above. You have to preorder from Amazon to get it.
This is ridiculous seriously, I would have understood having a preorder car pack but individual cars is just madness in a racing game.

G Rom said:
Are you sure about this ? I'm pretty sure that EA has had an exclusive deal with Porsche for more than 10 years now.

"exclusive"? How did Forza 3 had them then? :p

They have the license but they've been sublicesing it. However, I'm pretty sure something nasty happened in a deal between MS and EA, concerning the Ferrari license (which MS has the rights for on the 360) and Porsche which EA owns. It would explain why SHIFT 2 has no Ferrari now and why this was said:

http://twitter.com/#!/CriterionGames/status/16415582313

G Rom said:
Just look above. You have to preorder from Amazon to get it.
This is ridiculous seriously, I would have understood having a preorder car pack but individual cars is just madness in a racing game.
Ah shit. Thank goodness I can at least get it somehow. This store specific crap is bullshit.

Edit: well, looks like I'll be preordering from Amazon THAT SHIT BETTER BE AT MY DOORSTEP ON LAUNCH DAY, I just have to have that STI.

derFeef said:
Sorry, but a black bar is bad for many, many reasons. I can't believe someone hates a color so much.

Yea I really don't get the hate over the better w/ kinect tag line. Purple is the color they're using for marketing kinect. Not to mention it stands out on the box but not in an obnoxious way. Obviously MSFT wants to sell more kinect units while advertising which games take advantage of it. I don't see what the problem is...hopefully they do use Kinect in some cool way.

saladine1

SCHUEY F1 said:
Can't wait for E3. I imagine it has been mentioned before, but it would be sweet if the Top Gear guys are at the Forza presser or the main conference.
Well, JC isn't having the best time of it right now and would imagine co hosting a reveal for a game would be the last thing on his mind.
As for Top Gear USA hosts....meh..

Cuban Legend said:
Ah shit. Thank goodness I can at least get it somehow. This store specific crap is bullshit.

Edit: well, looks like I'll be preordering from Amazon THAT SHIT BETTER BE AT MY DOORSTEP ON LAUNCH DAY, I just have to have that STI.

Yeah, stuff like this definitely does nothing for consumers. Dat STI I want it too.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hmm, pre order cars for Forza 3 were fine cos they were all just skinned variants of default cars.

Not sure how I feel about actual cars being pre order exclusives.

Just stick em on Marketplace for 400pts or something.

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
"exclusive"? How did Forza 3 had them then? :p

They have the license but they've been sublicesing it. However, I'm pretty sure something nasty happened in a deal between MS and EA, concerning the Ferrari license (which MS has the rights for on the 360) and Porsche which EA owns. It would explain why SHIFT 2 has no Ferrari now and why this was said:

http://twitter.com/#!/CriterionGames/status/16415582313

Exclusive implied ability to sublicense...
As you said, Microsoft also has the exclusive rights to Ferrari cars on the Xbox 360 but they can sublicense it. For Forza 3, they probably had a deal with EA involving money and exchange of sublicenses.

I think it was rumored that the initial agreement between EA and Porsche was meant to be for 10 years (which is why there were speculation about Porsche in GT5 last year). Who knows what deal they managed to get from Porsche but I doubt Porsche would let EA forbid sublicensing.

EA also said that the new Pagani was exclusive to Shift 2. We'll see soon enough if it was a real exclusive or if it was just a "no other game has it for now" type of exclusive.

Did they just not want to pay for the Porsche license or is there more to that story?

Edit: just read about the EA bullshit. MSFT should just moneyhat their way out of this...

Doodis

Ugh, pre-order exclusives tied to separate retailers is the worst. Such a let down. I'd love to have several of those cars, but I, too, have to go with Amazon on this one. So lame.

saladine1

jGFXq.jpg

What have you got up your sleeves Mr.Greenawalt?

Seriously, I can't wait to see what Turn 10 have in store for us.

Is rally in?
Any weather?
Night time racing?
Spa and Bathurst?
Drag racing to return?
Overhauled sound engine?
More in depth upgrades and tuning?
More cars on track?
Damage system redone?
AI reworked?
Better multiplayer options?

There's a tonne of expectations but let's not forget that they only had two years to work on the game. Can FM4 really be that huge?

sneaky77

saladine1 said:
jGFXq.jpg

Is rally in?
Any weather?
Night time racing?
Spa and Bathurst?
Drag racing to return?
Overhauled sound engine?
More cars on track?
Damage system redone?
AI reworked?

There's a tonne of expectations but let's not forget that they only had two years to work on the game. Can FM4 really be that huge?

To be honest I am not sure that I want Rally in this game.. it may make them spread too thin instead of improving the other stuff

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:

As much as I'd like it to be true, we can't use the real images to guess features as it wasn't made by Turn 10 IIRC.

saladine1 said:

Is rally in?
Any weather?
Night time racing?

Spa and Bathurst?
Drag racing to return?
Overhauled sound engine?
More cars on track?
Damage system redone?
AI reworked?

Well two years is lot of time and nobody expected cockpit view for 400+ cars back when Forza 3 was announced. Although, unlike modeling, some expected/wanted things (bolded) won't really be able to be outsourced this time.

Agree, rally is not necessary. this game is a tarmac racing game. I didn't think GT needed it, and certainly Forza does not need it.

op_ivy

saladine1 said:
Well, JC isn't having the best time of it right now and would imagine co hosting a reveal for a game would be the last thing on his mind.
As for Top Gear USA hosts....meh..

i'd love to see tanner foust come out in his rockstar global rally cross car and spin some donuts just for the "dudebro" gaf crew to get into shitfits

LOL

skyfinch

So close to E3, yet still so far. Difficult not to be hyped about this game, but I'm going to play it cool until facts are facts. Don't want to be disappointed.

Happy that a few things are carried over from FM3. I think I clocked in 200h or so.
Very disappointed with the preorder crap. Unless I missed it, I don't see anything for EBgames. I have some credit I wanted to use for FM4 from there.

G Rom

AlanzTalon said:
Agree, rally is not necessary. this game is a tarmac racing game. I didn't think GT needed it, and certainly Forza does not need it.

I disagree, the game needs rally events to add variety. For a lot of people, rally=dirt. I think they should make tarmac rally stages events on Positano, Fujimi and that Alpine track. Racing against the clock would be different and much more appropriate to these tracks (I still didn't get over that R1 race on Positano...).

thundr51

I'm in for this.

And PLEASE don't do this VIP crap this time. It didn't work before, it's not going to work this time.

FINALLY Imported profile was at the top of my list. This gives me a reason to finish the season...and possibly more? Anybody know if we'll be allowed to import credits or just a set amount based on progress/races/awards. If so,I can see them setting a limit of the amount cash in the name of game balance...

yeah, i guess that is fair enough. i was thinking a dirt trail/snow/mud style rally stage...but when you mean more point-to-point tarmac ribbons i am all for that.

skyfinch

Throw some dirt or snow on that big ass Sidewinder track and I think we'll have a decent rally course. Damn track!

G Rom

gift cars will be automatically added to your “Forza Motorsport 4” garage and you’ll also receive bonus gifts and credits

Seems to me that we'll get a bunch of cars and a bunch of credits. I don't think we'll get all of our money in the game. It would be pretty unbalanced, especially if they (hopefully) reworked the whole economy in Forza 4.

saladine1

Rally would be awesome. As mentioned, it doesn't have to be a mud track or what have you. Tarmac, perhaps even a mix of tarmac and light gravel would be a welcome addition from the norm.

sneaky77

G Rom said:
I disagree, the game needs rally events to add variety. For a lot of people, rally=dirt. I think they should make tarmac rally stages events on Positano, Fujimi and that Alpine track. Racing against the clock would be different and much more appropriate to these tracks (I still didn't get over that R1 race on Positano...).

Then call it something else, but if you are doing a Rally mode, then you have to include different surfaces as well

I want more than 1 garage please.

Thank you Turn 10 for having an import feature. Now I can start playing FM 3 again knowing my progress won't be void and null apon the release of FM4.

G Rom

sneaky77 said:
Then call it something else, but if you are doing a Rally mode, then you have to include different surfaces as well

Wait, what ?
Is it written somewhere that you need to have different surfaces when doing rally racing ?
Rally racing on tarmac is still rally racing...

As I said before, I'm all for an official rally mode because it could open the flood gates for rally cars to be added !
Imagine being able to scrutinize Group B rally cars... Do it Turn 10 !

The only thing I would change with the box is move the logo and the title to the left.

And I hope the PEGI version on the press site isn't real because the colors look totally wrong.

G Rom said:
Who knows what deal they managed to get from Porsche but I doubt Porsche would let EA forbid sublicensing.

maybe they've switched developers? auto club revolution had a long list of porsche cars listed on its website.

if it supports the logitech wheels (official adapter/software) i'll be all over forza 4 - if not they can shove it.

what are the chances of them announcing an adapter at e3?

sneaky77

G Rom said:
Wait, what ?
Is it written somewhere that you need to have different surfaces when doing rally racing ?
Rally racing on tarmac is still rally racing...

I think if they add a Rally mode, and is only tarmac rally, it will do more harm than good.
While I understand your point I think people's expectations when they hear Rally racing is more than just tarmac.

Not that I have anything against a mode of racing against the clock on tarmac.

eso76

For people claiming reflections are wrong/overdone...well you should know the amount of reflections on a reflecting surface depends on at least 2 factors; reflectiveness of said material and surrounding elements brightness.

Basically you can't tell if materials are too or too little reflective in pics, without knowing how bright those lights you see reflected are.

Some are comparing those garage shots to pics of cars taken in showrooms, but you should note that those cars are reflecting sunlight coming from windows, not artificial light, so reflections should look "overdone". What you might argue looks off is the amount of ambient light versus the amount of light coming from the windows.

I suggest you watch the leaked video again, different environments look a lot more realistic and natural and IBL is basically the only way to go. Again, though, i don't think we'll see that ingame.

eso76 said:
For people claiming reflections are wrong/overdone...well you should know the amount of reflections on a reflecting surface depends on at least 2 factors; reflectiveness of said material and surrounding elements brightness.

Basically you can't tell if materials are too or too little reflective in pics, without knowing how bright those lights you see reflected are.

Well, you can see the same environment in the leaked video and direct lighting in that hangar is indeed very strong. Cars look great in the video and great in the screens, but it's true that rim shaders haven't been perfected yet. Still, that's basically nitpicking, especially since there are still months of development left.

Top Bottom