• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 E3 4K Trailer (XB1/PC)

c0de

That's the only reason not to go with realtime lighting. Baked lighting is more time consuming. Wow, Dubai looks like the most boring track to ever come to Forza. There's absolutely nothing that excites me about it. Could have driven on Jumeira, next to the tallest buildings in the world, but nope, 4 miles of desert, half a mile of plain tunnel is what we get.

I think the post I replied to was the issue many people have since ever: Forza is just not aiming for an authentic realistic look but favors stylized graphics. And this is not about power but intention.

Gestault

Need gameplay footage of more tracks.

bQRDmJi.gif

EKR9pbw.gif

SVUlaCW.gif

[From IGN's raw gameplay]

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
That's the only reason not to go with realtime lighting. Baked lighting is more time consuming. Wow, Dubai looks like the most boring track to ever come to Forza. There's absolutely nothing that excites me about it. Could have driven on Jumeira, next to the tallest buildings in the world, but nope, 4 miles of desert, half a mile of plain tunnel is what we get.

They're saving the city circuits for PGR5 next year ;-)

I do somewhat agree, fwiw

Bsigg12

I think the photogrammetry they're using is massive to the look of the game. It looks amazing and plays like a dream

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think the photogrammetry they're using is massive to the look of the game. It looks amazing and plays like a dream

Photogrammetry is nothing but a buzzword for "we are modeling the terrain and putting photo textures on top of it". Which is how it has always been done.

Mascot

When John from Inside Sim Racing says that it feels like Forza 6, that's not a compliment.
There were considerable hopes in the racing community that Turn 10 would get the handling with a wheel and FFB up to standards, but seems to not be the case.
Also the assist options still only have TCS on/off and ABS on/off and no degrees, like even Gran Turismo now has.

My hopes are pretty shattered, FOV options won't make it in either, I can already tell (Mugello finishing straight looks atrocious with the FOV from that video, like it's 10 miles long)
Still gonna try the demo myself that Turn 10 usually puts out before release, but without better FFB and FOV options, I'm not getting this... After I spend about 420€ on Forza this-gen, I refuse to take this same backwards-ass thinkng and fan-request ignoring anymore. [I can't believe that pCARS2 is my last real hope this year]

Let's wait for the finished game to see what is/isn't included. Info is still very sparse at the moment, and the E3 demos might be months out of date or dumbed down for the show floor. I'd fucking LOVE it though if Turn 10 went balls-deep with simulation options and proper motorsport concessions, even if those were hidden in a 'hardcore' mode so as not to alienate the eight-year-olds and octogenarians. Dan just does not seem to give a single fuck about motorsport though, and never has.

This '30% GPU surplus' comment by John Wendl is interesting. I'll always take everything he says with a bucket of salt after his wink-wink-nudge-nudge spin doctor bullshittery during previous launches, but if this surplus is true then some wet-track tyre trails (and other eye candy) should be easily achievable. I've been freeze-framing the wet Nords B-roll footage on my 65" 4k TV to try and see behind the curtain, but the Wizards of OX don't seem to be pulling many deceptions. The only weird thing I noticed is the geometry around the front wheel arch of the blue Jag early on in the footage which looked oddly simplistic with sharp edges, but apart from that - wow.

Edit: actually, how about that? Forza Motorsport 7 |OT| The Wizards of OX

MaLDo

Photogrammetry is nothing but a buzzword for "we are modeling the terrain and putting photo textures on top of it". Which is how it has always been done.

You're wrong. Photogrammetry is not putting photo textures over a hand generated models. Photogrammetry is modeling the scene from overlapping photograps. You can use those photograhs as textures too over your automatic generated model and they, ofc, will fit perfectly. Photogrammetry in gaming is really new.

http://www.aerometrex.com.au/blog/?p=1052
http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/

There are workflow differences in terms of how albedo textures are made and whether you use object scanning. It is not just photosourced textures.

Snubbers

More than a touch over done though, but I guess they are going for a more boombastic, rather than realistic, feel.

Absolutely hated this in NFS Shift, wing mirrors, interior mirrors, windscreen wipers flapping around is just stupid.. very few cars exhibit this, usually due to faulty design etc.. if my car's wipers started flapping around above 80MPH I'd be taking it back and complaining..

Not that this is totally equivocal, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb4Jlca7oCU

Some cars around Le Mans with amazingly stable wipers..

[edit] Oh no.... some more of the gameplay videos showing it on other cars, no, just no.. get that unrealistic annoyance out of here.. Or give us the option to turn it off, but this is T10, options are for pussies..

Bobnob

As anyone mentioned driver swaps, like it looks like thats what there doing at 42 seconds in on the trailer.I like this feature if its in.

I can see with some further optimization that any overheads will be geared toward dynamic time of day for F8 and two years down the line few people caring that the Xbox One version takes a noticeable hit resolution or frame rate to accommodate it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So we finally have a gameplay video up here:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_7_gameplay-19247_en.html

This has been pretty much a nightmare to get this video to look as close to the game as possible. The file we captured was from a console with HDR enabled (no way to disable it) so our usual encoding tool chain would lead to full whites being grey (I think IGN had this issue). We spent a lot of time trying various solutions and finally found one that we think is quite close to what the game looks like. We have no way to be sure that we did not bust the gamma though, so if you think the game looks weird it might be because of us.

I'll have 2 more videos up in a few hours.

Edit: Just saw the IGN video above, yeah that's exactly what it looked like for us. No way we would have put up a video looking like this!

Theorry

This has been pretty much a nightmare to get this video to look as close to the game as possible. The file we captured was from a console with HDR enabled (no way to disable it) so our usual encoding tool chain would lead to full whites being grey (I think IGN had this issue). We spent a lot of time trying various solutions and finally found one that we think is quite close to what the game looks like. We have no way to be sure that we did not bust the gamma though, so if you think the game looks weird it might be because of us.

Edit: Just saw the IGN video above, yeah that's exactly what it looked like for us. No way we would have put up a video looking like this!

Awesome thanks.

Mascot

Very nice, thanks Blim.

Small thing but I think the way the driver is standing there flapping her arms around like an idling Xbox Avatar speaks volumes about the direction that FM7 is following. I'd prefer to see her consulting with a race engineer or checking the tyres or something. That animation screams "Yo yo yo, let's go and piss about!" rather than a pilot carefully composing themselves prior to a race. I half expected her to start breakdancing at one point.

Lima

Fuck me bro they are making this so hard to basically pretend that the game doesn't exist for one month. Man that Xbone X release date is terrible.

GHG

Gold Member
https://youtu.be/P7UJYMS5rWE?t=31m47s

Bill Giese said there will be "race length tools" in career mode. About time

- New campaign mode called the "Forza Drivers a Cup" geared towards authentic Motorsport
- Series points scoring
- Race length tools
- The campaign can be tailored to however you see fit
- Trophies and other rewards
- Real time weather systems with dynamic skies and cloud shadows

This is all good stuff. About damn time.

xrnzaaas

- New campaign mode called the "Forza Drivers a Cup" geared towards authentic Motorsport
- Series points scoring
- Race length tools

Sucks to hear that they're following the same route as Horizon 3. I don't like when the game throws race customization tools at you and says "fuck it, you make ALL the decisions". That's what quick race/championship mode should be about, not the main career.

danowat

Banned
- Series points scoring
- Race length tools

CTRL+F 'Qualifying'

Am disappoint.

Fox Mulder

Sucks to hear that they're following the same route as Horizon 3. I don't like when the game throws race customization tools at you and says "fuck it, you make ALL the decisions". That's what quick race/championship mode should be about, not the main career.

Horizon 3 was the worst campaign in the series for me.

XP championships are awful online too because you can win every event but lose to someone drifting in the back.

Azzawon

So glad to see Mugello is back, used to have loads of fun blasting around there in Forza 2, 3 and 4. Do we have a full list of confirmed environments yet?

Edit: The only thing I'm not liking so far in Forza 7 is the amount of movement going on with the wipers. There is physically no way they move around that much, especially at low speeds.

danowat

Banned
Yep. Still waiting to hear about that, and also how grid placement works in the championships throughout the series if there isn't any qualifying.

I imagine it's probably just like all the others, you always start in the same place, I am not expected proper qualifying, prove me wrong T10!!!!

Wonder if they'll have perks or those silly card things this time round?

"The campaign can be tailored to however you see fit"

So most people will most likely see 2 lap easy mode races? sometimes allowing freedom in how something works makes it worse, not better.

I just hope that now you get points for races instead of having to always place top 3.

TheRed

I know other people don't find it important but if the game runs this good I wish they would give VR support to PC version. It's the only way I play Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally and this game would be so amazing and beautiful in VR.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Damn. Thanks for the additional work.

vewn

Does that mean we can play races with more than 3 laps in campaign mode? This always bothered me with Forza games after FM3, races were too short and boring. Qualifying?

Also, is the dashcam confirmed to be in the game or will it be removed again?

willbsn13

Does that mean we can play races with more than 3 laps in campaign mode? This always bothered me with Forza games after FM3, races were too short and boring. Qualifying?

Also, is the dashcam confirmed to be in the game or will it be removed again?

Yes. No idea about qualifying. T10 Haven't confirmed or denied it yet

Dash Cam is confirmed for the game

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I need more details on this more motorsports orientated campaign.

Top Bottom