• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza motorsport (next-gen) is being internally tested. Will be a closed playtest feedback coming...

supernova8

Banned
Forza is the better “idealized” graphics while GT Sport felt like real locations to me. Forza felt like an artists rendition of what real life looks like.

Also 4K doesn’t really mean much in terms of “better graphics”.

I think if Gran Turismo did away with the camera angle where it's permanently stuck behind the car (ie with no drift whatsoever) it could look better than Forza. Also I don't really like how the cars in GT sort of feel like go-karts at times. The physics just seem off.

Schmick

It really blows that we have no great new first party racers to welcome the new generation with. Its insane that there hasnt been a new motorsport in 3 years
Perhaps Turn 10 felt the need to step back and take a break? Or slow down production to add something fresh to the series.

Last edited:
I think if Gran Turismo did away with the camera angle where it's permanently stuck behind the car (ie with no drift whatsoever) it could look better than Forza. Also I don't really like how the cars in GT sort of feel like go-karts at times. The physics just seem off.
That's one of my biggest issues with GT as well.
The way it replicates some physics doesn't trick my brain the way it should. Playing GTS, my brain will go from believing my car is going around a racetrack one moment. Suddenly it's as if my brain has figured something out, and it appears as if the car is static, with the track seemingly moving underneath it as if it were a treadmill. It's weird.

GT has very good car models, and the replays look awesome. Forza does literally everything else better.

cormack12

Gold Member
Forza really made driving games fun again. I like GT, but Forza has been more enjoyable over the past several iterations. I look forward to the next one.
What's the dynamic weather like? I really liked GT:S for the record. And I like Horizon 4 but this will be my first Forza Motorsport.

cormack12

Gold Member
Sometimes it starts raining, and sometimes it stops. 🤷‍♂️

tenor.gif

probably but the only real contender in the console world was GT on ps, but the last one was so much a failure that in comparison forza 7 looked like a masterpiece
I think it depends; when Forza came out the bumper car physics of GT really came under the spotlight, and the Horizon side of the series has been outselling GT for a while so if using that as a gauge the wider market has spoken with its own wallets & purses.

I'm interested to see how the new GT and Forza games shape out; from what's been shown so far they both look very promising though unless MS opens up VR headset compatibility on Xbox consoles if you want that VR example you may have to get that on GT7.

Nyxir

It really blows that we have no great new first party racers to welcome the new generation with. Its insane that there hasnt been a new motorsport in 3 years
At least they are much better than Polyphony. They seem to have an actual project management.

Nemesisuuu

I mean, they are both good racing series and both new games are looking at similarly long dev cycles, why cant i talk about it? Its analogous to forza
It's like yin/yang, there can't be balance if another one isn't mention. I just find it funny how it took only 4 posts to bring GT into discussion.

TBH I'm huge fan of both series since their beginnings. For me - now it's GT Sport for online, FM7 for single player. Someone mentioned that FM7 doesn't play well on wheel - that's not true, it's just fine on my G920, force feedback is fine now (nothing spectacular tho, but it serves it's purpose). Main problem on FM7, at least for me is that I'm a lot slower on wheel than on gamepad, no matter how clean I drive with the wheel, while on other simcade and sim racing games it's quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
It's like yin/yang, there can't be balance if another one isn't mention. I just find it funny how it took only 4 posts to bring GT into discussion.

TBH I'm huge fan of both series since their beginnings. For me - now it's GT Sport for online, FM7 for single player. Someone mentioned that FM7 doesn't play well on wheel - that's not true, it's just fine on my G920, force feedback is fine now (nothing spectacular tho, but it serves it's purpose). Main problem on FM7, at least for me is that I'm a lot slower on wheel than on gamepad, no matter how clean I drive with the wheel, while on other simcade and sim racing games it's quite the opposite.
The last forza i played on a wheel was 3, and it was with the big official force feedback steering wheel and pedals that xbox produced. Ive been considering getting a wheel again, now im just wondering do i get it for ps5 for gran turismo, or buy one for xbox for forza, historically ive enjoyed forza a little more, but im really excited for gt7.

Nemesisuuu

The last forza i played on a wheel was 3, and it was with the big official force feedback steering wheel and pedals that xbox produced. Ive been considering getting a wheel again, now im just wondering do i get it for ps5 for gran turismo, or buy one for xbox for forza, historically ive enjoyed forza a little more, but im really excited for gt7.
IMO you can't go wrong whatever series you choose. Each has it's own highs and lows.

Even tho I'm slower on wheel on FM7, last time I played it I really enjoyed it and was having a blast even in online races. Maybe I'll even complete career mode sometime.

It did not beat Forza 7 at all for graphics. Forza 7 had more cans on track, weather systems and on the One X run at a Native 4K at 60 FPS

Both Forza and GTS can have up to 24 cars on track. Forza 7 surely had weather system, but time of a day wasn't that dynamic at all. Btw. IIRC there was a DF comparison and DF favorized GTS graphically, especially lighting which is a step above over FM7

Nemesisuuu

Main issue with Forzas graphics is cardboard trees. That just brings whole presentation down. Tracks that don't have that many trees, city circuits etc. look great, but when you hit something like Virginia International Raceway or Lime Rock Park - it just looks flat. I've been playing Forza Motorsport 2 lately and, ironically, it has better trees than most modern racers.

Greggy

Both Forza and GTS can have up to 24 cars on track. Forza 7 surely had weather system, but time of a day wasn't that dynamic at all. Btw. IIRC there was a DF comparison and DF favorized GTS graphically, especially lighting which is a step above over FM7
Hum.. I give the hdr to GTS. Let’s remember however that we are comparing a game with tyre temperature and pressure simulation, puddle physics and dynamic damage as well as hundreds more cars to what is little more than an arcade racer. And FM7 was running at native 4K. I think the more technically impressive game is obvious here.

well as hundreds more cars

Not on track, but in menu.

Hum.. I give the hdr to GTS. Let’s remember however that we are comparing a game with tyre temperature and pressure simulation, puddle physics and dynamic damage as well as hundreds more cars to what is little more than an arcade racer

GTS is an arcade racer? LOL

Let's remember that car physics still can be off with puddles, tyre pressure, temperatures and what not.

And FM7 was running at native 4K. I think the more technically impressive game is obvious here.

Yeah, but lighting, trees, shadows.... FM7 can be native 4k if graphically lacks in other department.

Senua

Why does everyone think Forza horizon graphics are so good? I played it on gamepass I don’t get it
I mean for what is essentially an XB1 game it looks incredible, with all the bells and whistles maxed out on PC at 100+fps it looks simply beautiful, and my PC aint even all that

Calverz

After trying all of the recent racing games my favorite is GT Sport. It's weird because I didn't think I would enjoy it since I usually love very deep career modes and customization, but to me it's the perfect balance between arcade and simulation (at least physics-wise and mechanically). If we could get a GT style game with city streets a la Project Gotham and a good career mode I would be in love.
If you want a cross between simulation and arcade there is a game for you. Forza horizon 4.

Phase

If you want a cross between simulation and arcade there is a game for you. Forza horizon 4.
While it certainly looks nice, from what I've watched of the gameplay it seems very repetitive and shallow, not to mention the AI seems a bit... off. I've gotten this suggestion a few times here so maybe when there's a deep sale I'll try it out.

I hope the PC port is better, FM7 runs like molasses on my system, one of the worst performing games I've ever played. Sluggish loading times on an NVME drive and two minutes into every race, it starts freezing and hitching like crazy and becomes unplayable.

FH4 on the other hand loads lightning fast and runs silky smooth 🤷‍♂️

Calverz

While it certainly looks nice, from what I've watched of the gameplay it seems very repetitive and shallow, not to mention the AI seems a bit... off. I've gotten this suggestion a few times here so maybe when there's a deep sale I'll try it out.
Tbh its not for me. I either want simulation or pure arcade racing. People seen to love it and the graphics and setting etc is pretty cool

Senua

I hope the PC port is better, FM7 runs like molasses on my system, one of the worst performing games I've ever played. Sluggish loading times on an NVME drive and two minutes into every race, it starts freezing and hitching like crazy and becomes unplayable.

FH4 on the other hand loads lightning fast and runs silky smooth 🤷‍♂️
It seems their PC ports get better with every go, FH3 stuttered for me also like FM7 does, but they fixed it with FH4

Actually they might've fixed FH3 way after launch IIRC

skneogaf

I hope the new game changes the reflection on the window screen as it was not at all accurate and very annoying.

Phase

Tbh its not for me. I either want simulation or pure arcade racing. People seen to love it and the graphics and setting etc is pretty cool
FH4 seems too arcade-y to me. Yeah I like a mix of arcade and simulation but I def lean more toward simulation. For example, I have Assetto Corsa with a countless mods but I'm tired of it. I tried ACC and while it's great it's almost pure simulation with its physics. A bit too real for me. GT has that feel where I can fall into a zone of relaxation and almost feel I'm one with the car.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Not on track, but in menu.

GTS is an arcade racer? LOL

Let's remember that car physics still can be off with puddles, tyre pressure, temperatures and what not.

Yeah, but lighting, trees, shadows.... FM7 can be native 4k if graphically lacks in other department.
The shadows are drawn 12ft in front of the bonnet, the lighting can look cartoony and the pop in is terrible on Gts. I have and enjoy both but both are not perfect graphically.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GT Sport proved the Forza way isn’t the only racer that can have two franchises.

LokusAbriss

As a long time Forza Motorsport fan, I have mixed feelings about this. I made the switch from GT to FM, when waiting for GT5 was hopeless and I was really surprised what FM2 offered. I was hooked. But the features that created the strong community around the game (public lobbies, auction house), have been chopped up, changed or deleted over the years. It went a similar way as the Battlefield franchise. BF 1942 and BF2 had such great communites. You still play the new ones today, but it is a way different experience. Same goes for Forza Motorsport.

Forza Horizon became a juggernaut in the racing world and nothing will change that. But I dont see FM to rise to a similar position again. The competition is tough and many moved to AC or more hardcore sims.

There are three points FM needs to have a strong and lasting playerbase. First they need to get their graphics and lighting as close to realism as possible. Nobody wants "cardboard trees" or a colour plalette from the Xbox 360 days. Second they need to offer a simulation of serious racing (racing rules, driver ratings, flag system, pitstops, qualifying) to interest the hardcore audience. That also includes an overhaul in the ffb and physics department. And last, they need to offer a similar or better experience than Assetto Corsa to get the players back who are just passionate car guys. Those who got a racing wheel and cruise a bit at Shutoko Wangan, the Nordschleife tourist drivers and the drift community. You can catch those with the right content and features.

But that is just wishful thinking. Turn 10 became so distanced from their fans over the years. Unlike Playground Games. It has been so obvious what the community wanted over the years and they didnt do anything to please them. Their "vision" always went strange ways. It was always sad to see, because the base game and physics are very good. But they have to prove themselves, because the trust from the players has left a long time ago.

I've only seen 22 cars in sport. I never talked of a dynamic system weather system, but at least Froza had a weather system. So it's doing more stuff and all at 60 FPS at Native 4K on the One X and Jon favours the PS version? Cue the surprise...

93xfan

Banned
Graphics are subjective, yes. But Forza 7 is having to handle more cars on the track, weather effects and on the One X did it all running at a Native 4k at 60 FPS A stunning technical achievement
I was more impressed with Forza 7 on my One X to GT Sports on my Pro.

People always ignore the blemishes in GT Sport. Played a ton of it and would see some very low res reflections and some ugly pop in. Neither game looks perfect, but I didn’t find Gran Turismo Sport to be as consistent as I would have liked.

Car models were beautiful though, and the overall visuals were very nice

People always ignore the blemishes in GT Sport. Played a ton of it and would see some very low res reflections and some ugly pop in. Neither game looks perfect, but I didn’t find Gran Turismo Sport to be as consistent as I would have liked.

Car models were beautiful though, and the overall visuals were very nice
GT car models have always been better than the rest. But I thought GT Sport was a step backwards from GT 5 myself. I actually think F1 2020 is the best and most impressive racer this gen

As a long time Forza Motorsport fan, I have mixed feelings about this. I made the switch from GT to FM, when waiting for GT5 was hopeless and I was really surprised what FM2 offered. I was hooked. But the features that created the strong community around the game (public lobbies, auction house), have been chopped up, changed or deleted over the years. It went a similar way as the Battlefield franchise. BF 1942 and BF2 had such great communites. You still play the new ones today, but it is a way different experience. Same goes for Forza Motorsport.

Forza Horizon became a juggernaut in the racing world and nothing will change that. But I dont see FM to rise to a similar position again. The competition is tough and many moved to AC or more hardcore sims.

There are three points FM needs to have a strong and lasting playerbase. First they need to get their graphics and lighting as close to realism as possible. Nobody wants "cardboard trees" or a colour plalette from the Xbox 360 days. Second they need to offer a simulation of serious racing (racing rules, driver ratings, flag system, pitstops, qualifying) to interest the hardcore audience. That also includes an overhaul in the ffb and physics department. And last, they need to offer a similar or better experience than Assetto Corsa to get the players back who are just passionate car guys. Those who got a racing wheel and cruise a bit at Shutoko Wangan, the Nordschleife tourist drivers and the drift community. You can catch those with the right content and features.

But that is just wishful thinking. Turn 10 became so distanced from their fans over the years. Unlike Playground Games. It has been so obvious what the community wanted over the years and they didnt do anything to please them. Their "vision" always went strange ways. It was always sad to see, because the base game and physics are very good. But they have to prove themselves, because the trust from the players has left a long time ago.
Absolutely!

Just when I think Turn 10 is starting to make progress, they somehow screw it up. Forza has been miles ahead of everyone else when it comes to drifting. Games that are more arcade such as NFS could never get it right. For everything the sim racers get right, none of them have anything close to realistic drifting. For all Forza's faults... Turn 10 I assume just got lucky, and created an engine that just nailed drifting.

And after the masterpiece that was Forza 4 what did Turn 10 do to capitalize on their luck? Absolutely nothing. Both Forza 5 and 6 added nothing new for drifting, while making sure Fujimi Kaido was nowhere to be found.

Then... Almost as an afterthought to Forza 7, Turn 10 finally seemed to turn things around. They added plenty of drift inspired cars, as well as tweaking the physics a bit, and adding drift suspension setups. Drifters rejoiced. Seeing that their work was being praised, Turn 10 must have decided that they didn't want that kind of attention. So they immediately made it so that drifting scores were tied to the racing line. Drifters who previously would look at every hairpin or chicane, and practice to perfection the best way to attack them in order to maximize their drift score were now reduced to following the same line that was used for beginner racers. All the creativity and practice couldn't compete with a player with half the skill that simply stuck to the line.

Forza also set the standard for it's paint and livery editor. Once you figured out how to manipulate the editor, the only limit was your imagination. From anime to cartoony to realistic landscapes. You could paint your car any which way you liked and then race with it in online.

Never to let a good feature go to work, Turn 10 decided to test the whole "Go woke, go broke" theory. Someone who spent the last decade racing a 69 charger painted like the Dukes of Hazzard, suddenly found himself banned because of the flag on top. Breasts a bit too big on that anime character? Banned. There were even a few instances of people that were banned for having cars with Japan's rising sun on it... Only it was discovered that those people were driving cars that they had never painted at all. They just happened to be cars that came with a liberty walk body kit and livery, with their logo being the rising sun. So people using in game assets created by Turn 10... Were banned for it.

The last development that Turn 10 did for Forza 7 was to address the ramming and driving habits of online play. They went back through the game and created boundaries for all tracks so that time deductions could be implemented for those who tended to cut corners. They tweaked the collision physics so that salty players couldn't punt others into another dimension. Really good work overall.

Did Turn 10 activate any of those features at large scale? No. Instead, they included them into only a couple of classes. To make sure they completely wasted all their efforts though, they made sure to advertise their all new reporting function, and announced that it would be entirely run by Forza community members, and then turned out the lights and left. Somebody salty that you ran faster laps, and decided to report you? Banned. Just to stick it to players even harder, their newly implemented ban system was strict and nonnegotiable. 1st ban= 7 days, 2nd ban= 1 month, 3rd ban= 1 year. People who had waited for a sale to buy the game, were buying the game and trying to race online. Seeing as Forza has no beginner lobbies populated anymore, and with no skill based matchmaking... New players had no choice but to learn in the same lobbies as everyone else. As soon as they bumped someone who decided to report them... Banned. There were people who bought the game, and within a couple of days had been reported 2 or 3 times. Seeing as it often takes a couple of days for a community member to view the report. They'd issue a 7 day ban on the first one, only for another community member to see the second report the next day, and issue a 1 month ban. There were people who were already banned for an entire year mere days after purchasing the game. Mind you there's no in game communication that tells you this. To get banned on literally every other game out there, you have to intentionally cheat, mod, or knowingly break the rules to get banned. Forza 7 requires only that you play and get reported by someone.

I'm a long time Forza fan, but Turn 10 has almost completely turned me off of having anything to do with them.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

My problem with GT is you never feel like the cars are racing its more like formation laps. It’s great game but the racing needs to be more aggresive

RAIDEN1

I say about P.G - 5 having said that I have yet to play P.G 4...but from what I have seen and heard about it on YouTube it warrants a deep-dive..

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Why does everyone think Forza horizon graphics are so good? I played it on gamepass I don’t get it
Because its the best looking racing game right now and nothing comes close, thats why.
That DF comparison had alot of false statements and wasn't even a proper comparison to begin with. But lighting is indeed better in GTS than in Forza Motorsport 7, but then comes Forza Horizon 4 wich has even a better and more dynamic lighting and tons more different situations like all 4 seasons. The Forzatech engine is incredible versatile and advanced with a fair performance ratio.
you can change that in the settings, it doesn't have to be locked behind the car anymore

Alot of people are overlooking this, they really fixed it and it is much better now. It makes your car control better for whatever reason.

Senua

Because its the best looking racing game right now and nothing comes close, thats why.

That DF comparison had alot of false statements and wasn't even a proper comparison to begin with. But lighting is indeed better in GTS than in Forza Motorsport 7, but then comes Forza Horizon 4 wich has even a better and more dynamic lighting and tons more different situations like all 4 seasons. The Forzatech engine is incredible versatile and advanced with a fair performance ratio.

Alot of people are overlooking this, they really fixed it and it is much better now. It makes your car control better for whatever reason.
Why they don't have it set as the default option is beyond me.

Top Bottom