• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

François Fillon is officially the right's candidate for the French Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

N
Against a Federal UE and wants less power in the European Commission.

Wants a UE military force and to put all UE debts in common.

He also wants more common budgetary, fiscal and social politics across the UE member.

So he's fine. Yeah he's fine.

TheMan

Honest question, because I'm not the greatest at following the details of world events:
What exactly makes Russia so evil in 2016?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Against a Federal UE and wants less power in the European Commission.

Wants a UE military force and to put all UE debts in common.

He also wants more common budgetary, fiscal and social politics across the UE members.

This sounds pretty good.

Edit: for all the internal reforms he wants to do he still needs a majority in the Parliament, no? How does this work in France?

Debatable.

Le Pen is only far-right on immigration and criminal justice. Her economic policy is to the left of most Democrats. She is essentially a racist and nationalist version of Bernie Sanders.

Fillon is pretty much Reagan down to a tee.

She wants to move France out of the EU.

She is the worst kind of deplorable politician Europe has to offer. Right alongside Geert Wilders and Frauke Petri.

The world would literally be a better place without them.

El Topo

You mean besides the whole Ukraine conflict and their utterly disgusting actions in Syria? Or maybe you're asking about their internal problems, such as the hate campaigns against homosexuals?

Edit:
As norinrad says below though, probably better to make a separate thread for that.

Darkest Timeline

Not even close.

220px-Le_Pen,_Marine-9586.jpg

At least Fillon has a chance against her.

Jb

fillon is no hillary clinton

And when exactly did I say that?
I said Cruz=Fillon is a terrible analogy. If anything's he's closer to Jeb Bush.

I really wonder why the left didn't bite the bullet, sign the chartre and go vote for Juppé en masse today. Pretty fucking dumb.

avaya

As an outsider to this process, all I need is someone that will hold the current Franco-German alignment within the EU. This is the best solution in terms of making sure the UK is fucked, no quarter given, and effectively forced to stay in the single market and allows the Europeans to also move on with the common European project and uphold COP21 etc.

My cousins in france have been voting for le pen since forever. I couldnt shake my head more

Oh well, its not like I'll ever visit france anyways

This sounds pretty good.

Edit: for all the internal reforms he wants to do he still needs a majority in the Parliament, no? How does this work in France?

The parliament's elections are going to be held in June 2017.

If he wins the presidency there's a high chance that he will also have the majority in the Parliament.

Alx

France, you guys better not fuck this up. This Fillon guy sounds sketchy as hell :/

Don't judge the man based on the two lines in the OP. I didn't vote for him myself and would have preferred the other guy, but Fillon is nowhere close to what some of the posts make him sound to be.
Fillon as president wouldn't be much different from Sarkozy as president, and that already happened (and Fillon was his Prime Minister, as I mentioned earlier).

Dilly

Banned
The French love protesting for their earned rights, he'll never be able to push all of his policies.

Like it or not, the global political pendulum is swinging towards conservatism right now, I'd rather have a conservatist than a populist intent on destroying European institutions.

PJV3

If Le Pen wins we will also have to put up with more smug images of her mate Farage.

Don't do it France.

norinrad

As an outsider to this process, all I need is someone that will hold the current Franco-German alignment within the EU. This is the best solution in terms of making sure the UK is fucked, no quarter given, and effectively forced to stay in the single market and allows the Europeans to also move on with the common European project and uphold COP21 etc.

F**king the UK is the least of their problems with right wing and populist parties breathing down their necks. They have more issues than something like Brexit being a priority.

In most countries( starting from Austria, Belgium and up north) you'd notice the people you thought were the most level headed people you have ever known are the ones going the other way. Mention Greece and you see them explode, going about how the EU needs to be divided etc. It's frightening to see normal people behaving like that. These are the people governments need to pay attention to. Some of them will be voting for the likes of Le Pen

Yeah, I'm not voting for that guy, his religious friends, and his Thatcherite plans, even to stave off Le Pen.

(Seeing some of his supporters saying "make France great again" sealed it for me)

You better go to the fucking voting booth and vote against Le Pen and do it with a smile.

Standing by and doing nothing to stop crazy Le Pen would be an outright betrayal against our european ancestors who died in the millions to form what our generation got to enjoy.

There are absolutely no excuses and no wah wah, my principles would wash the literal blood off your hands if Le Pen were to be elected, Frexit and sink the entire EU.

Edit: That came off more agressive than I wanted, sorry. I'm just fed up with "I couldn't vote for Hillary Clinton, I just couldn't"-esque rhetoric. Donald Trump got elected because people didn't want to "choose between the lesser of two evils".

Dierce

What the fuck is happening to liberalism in the west? What happened to our common progressive movement on the basis of equality and prosperity for all, regardless or race or religion.

You can't fucking bullshit me that a few random asshole terrorists(who I consider part of the conservative movement) ruined it all for us. Are the majority in all countries just naturally so feeble minded?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The parliament's elections are going to be held in June 2017.

If he wins the presidency there's a high chance that he will also have the majority in the Parliament.

Why? I understand that he will get a "bonus" of popularity (it happens most of the time after somebody is elected from what I saw in the polls) but it should be still pretty close to the result from the presidential 1st round more or less, no?

phaze

Not liking his stance on Russia from what I've heard of it but he's better than La Pen in that regard I guess.

What the fuck is happening to liberalism in the west? What happened to our common progressive movement on the basis of equality and prosperity for all, regardless or race or religion.

You can't fucking bullshit me that a few random asshole terrorists ruined it all for us (who I consider part of the conservative movement). Are the majority in all countries just naturally so feeble minded?

Terrorism helped a lot, but the incompetence, the infighting and the betrayal of several of the platforms Hollande was elected on managed to completely wrecked the left's chance of winning anything next year.

I'm left leaning but they have no one to blame but themselves.

Why? I understand that he will get a "bonus" of popularity (it happens most of the time after somebody is elected from what I saw in the polls) but it should be still pretty close to the result from the presidential 1st round more or less, no?

Usually the PS and Les Républicains (the right) are getting most of the parliament's seats, it shifts depending on the current climate and since the PS has been losing a fair amount of seats during the Regional and Municipals' election I don't see them having a majority this time either.

norinrad

You can't fucking bullshit me that a few random asshole terrorists(who I consider part of the conservative movement) ruined it all for us. Are the majority in all countries just naturally so feeble minded?

Well W ( he now enjoys painting and having BBQs at his ranch) and pals invaded the middle east, Europe got the bill for taking care of the refugees. China came in and took all the factories with the help of the rich. 2+2= lots of hate against people running from their homes being bombed and children being killed. Of course its more complex than the above, but you get the idea.

Finalizer

Liberalism will get a nice kick in the tush after another World War, just wait until then ;-)

Foffy

Banned
Help me out, French GAF.

Is this a guy representing neoliberalism, or is he part of the rise of neonationalism like Trump was?

Neoliberalism has allowed prosperity for a few, not all. We do not have liberalism, but neoliberalism.

Look up Mark Blyth's presentation on Global Trumpism. This is a decades long cultivation, not a sudden fringe.

FDC1

There are 2 rounds too in France for the legislative elections. That's how Front National has very little MP, they do a good score in the first round but can rarely win the second one because they have no reserve of voices. Winner of the presidential is pretty sure to have the majority in the current system.

Fularu

Banned
You better go to the fucking voting booth and vote against Le Pen and do it with a smile.

Standing by and doing nothing to stop crazy Le Pen would be an outright betrayal against our european ancestors who died in the millions to form what our generation got to enjoy.

There are absolutely no excuses and no wah wah, my principles would wash the literal blood off your hands if Le Pen were to be elected, Frexit and sink the entire EU.

Edit: That came off more agressive than I wanted, sorry. I'm just fed up with "I couldn't vote for Hillary Clinton, I just couldn't"-esque rhetoric. Donald Trump got elected because people didn't want to "choose between the lesser of two evils".
LePen will never, ever hold the parliament. No matter what she says, she can't trigger article 50 and make a "frexit".

And the only thing I'm aligned on with Fillon is his stance towards Syria and getting closer to Russia. It's better and far more important for political and regional stability.

The game the US through NATO played against Russia is having severe repercusions in all of Europe

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Economic crisis, incompetent political leaders, terrorism. Plus foreigners being always the easy scapegoat.

And the general shitty attitude of the mainstream parties for the past tens of years: something is good (even financed from EU) - "we, the proud locals did it"; something is bad - "EU asked for this"

Plus the complete lack of the discussion about the irreversible impacts of globalism and population ageing.

There are 2 rounds too in France for the legislative elections. That's how Front National has very little MP, they do a good score in the first round but can rarely win the second one because they have no reserve of voices. Winner of the presidential is pretty sure to have the majority in the current system.

Ah, I didn't know that. That's interesting.

Edit: That came off more agressive than I wanted, sorry. I'm just fed up with "I couldn't vote for Hillary Clinton, I just couldn't"-esque rhetoric. Donald Trump got elected because Democrats stayed at home.
See my other post, it's just the denial part, but don't ask me to smile if I ever have to vote for his current platform which includes:
- tax cuts for the rich. He's literally advocating for trickle down.
- heavy labor deregulation: this isn't just rolling back on that 35 hours week, which I don't necessarily mind, but going for a kind of at will employment that facilitates massive layoffs.
- drastic public cuts, except for police and defense
- rolling back gay adoption. He said he wouldn't touch marriage, but gay couples wouldn't be able to adopt as couples anymore.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How in the fuck did all the right wing parties in the world suddenly all decide at once that they want to be best friends with Russia?

MUnited83

For you.
Honest question, because I'm not the greatest at following the details of world events:
Forcefully taking away land that isn't theirs, waging war, being imperialistic all around?
Human and civil rights violations?
Government that actively Kills opponents and dissidents?

mo60

Fillion is Le Pen and the FN's worst nightmare from what I heard. He's the more moderate/less insane version of her. Even though I don't like Fillion he will most likely crush her in the second round if she gets to the second round.

Fillion is Le Pen and the FN's worst nightmare from what I heard. He's the more moderate/less insane version of her. Even though I don't like Fillion he will most likely crush her in the second round if she gets to the second round.

They're already attacking him on twitter.

They're deeply scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom