• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freakyforms (3dsware) |OT| of Don't Panic

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
GBL_FreakyForms_enGB.jpg

banner's from nintendo.co.uk page
freakyforms.nintendo.com
nintedolife's game profile (with screenshots)

Genre: creative sandboxed 2D platforming (tm)
Platform: Nintendo eShop originals (3DSWare)
Availability:
  • JP: 2011年9月7日, 700円
  • EU: 10/11/2011, 6 EUR
  • NA: November 10, 2011, $6.99

Videos: youtube

Premise:
Player creates their walking, crawling, rolling or flying creatures ('formees') out of gazillions of parts (each one well tweakable - think Mii creator ^2), and goes platforming with each formee into the wild - a progressively growing planet (expands with every 5 new formees) featuring basic but sufficient physics rules. While roaming the environment player's formee will encounter various artifacts, all of which give some kind of bonus or collectible. Player will also meet other formees - own or 'friends', who give simple quests, centered around even more roaming of the environment in search of collectibles. Control is entirely touch-based, yet it still offers some quite enjoyable platforming.

Features:
A metric ton. Pretty much everything that comes to mind for such a game - unlockable part 'sets' (in the form of pre-built formees), unlockable environment elements, sharing over StreetPass or QR codes, picture taking of your formees and landscapes, etc, etc.

In essence, game is the closest thing to playing with LEGO bricks (in 2D) this side of LEGO Creator desktop software. I can see myself spending a lot of time with this one.

Trivia: some (former?) skip staff worked on freakyforms, as seen in one of Iwata Asks interviews.

Awesome, I was wondering if someone would make a thread for it. So is it just a toy creature or is it a full game? Either way I think I'll get this. Making things + exploring and what not = buy. Also, how is the 3D?

Hey! About time we got an OT!

What might be cool is if we list a few of our Formees in the OT itself.

Here's two of mine!

HNI_0008.jpg

Captain Fab

HNI_0007.jpg

PacFlyTie

blu

0YXPO.jpg
Mvsck.jpg

Geezer | mk2

DoMis.jpg
GmfhX.jpg

mk1 | Vrooom

4Y96n.jpg

Vador (cracks me up each time I hear him taking on a golden poop challenge)

zigg

blu said:
Trivia: some (former?) skip staff worked on freakyforms, as seen in one of Iwata's interviews on Nintendo Direct (can't seem to find it; if somebody can find a link to that, I'll include it here).

The voices are very reminiscent of Chibi-Robo.

Here are my first Formees. Highlights:

2Bn9D.jpg
2bxz3.jpg
RWWSW.jpg

I understand that the white outlines depend on the body part type... I'm curious if z-order maps to that concept as well.

blu

zigg said:
I understand that the white outlines depend on the body part type... I'm curious if z-order maps to that concept as well.
z-order for parts of the same category seems to be chronological.

sakipon

rpmurphy said:
All the creatures in this topic look fun, but these sure are something awesome. Do you have to reach far in the game to have enough freedom to work on stuff like this?

Then again, to my own disappointment I never had the patience to finish any LBP level... all my constructions sucked big time. If that would end up being the case, is this game interesting enough without concentrating on creating things?

zigg

sakipon said:
Then again, to my own disappointment I never had the patience to finish any LBP level... all my constructions sucked big time. If that would end up being the case, is this game interesting enough without concentrating on creating things?

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the game yet, but I think creation and the follow-on act of playing with those creations is the strongest aspect.

That said, I'm not terribly creative myself, but I'm really loving what I seem to be able to do with this game.

It's also $7, so keep that in mind when you're thinking "well how much am I out if I don't get more than an hour or so out of it."

Za23

Having fun creating some weird things and seeing how they act in the world. Also the AR pictures look pretty neat.

Few of my creations so far:

tumblr_luhhrozK2U1r4yzs3o4_400.jpg
tumblr_luhhrozK2U1r4yzs3o1_400.jpg

tumblr_luhhrozK2U1r4yzs3o3_400.jpg
tumblr_luhhrozK2U1r4yzs3o2_400.jpg

b4UUO.jpg

watershed

Banned
Yeah! I'm glad this game has an OT now. Here are some of my Formees:

390794_10150504076961004_693881003_10237731_1696156846_n.jpg
387767_10150504077016004_693881003_10237732_792445573_n.jpg

385361_10150502531866004_693881003_10232776_311569069_n.jpg

390804_10150502531986004_693881003_10232778_644518026_n.jpg

This game is turning out to be funner than I originally thought.

watershed

Banned
blu said:
This one is breaking my heart. Reminds me of Mars Spirit rover.
You only quoted half the image but I'm glad you like it. Seeing the Japanese formees makes me want to do some more involved ones. I'm gonna fix up my Layton later.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So beside the creation aspect - how competent is the plattforming ? The game kinda reminds me if Spore, which isn't a good thing at all.

QR trading is neat, but they should update the software so that you can also directly trade with people from your friendliest or establish an upload portal for every user.

Btw. Way less Penis Creatures than I expected.

watershed

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
So beside the creation aspect - how competent is the platforming ? The game kinda reminds me if Spore, which isn't a good thing at all.

QR trading is neat, but they should update the software so that you can also directly trade with people from your friendliest or establish an upload portal for every user.

Btw. Way less Penis Creatures than I expected.
The platforming is simple but fun. Lots of collecting and jumping. There is also flying and some swimming sections. I like the stylus controls, you basically sling shot your creature around to jump. The best way to get a feel for the game is to watch the eshop trailer, what you see is what you get. Hope that helps.

Pretty sure this will be overlooked... Played for a good hour yesterday, and it is, just as I suspected, super silly and super fun. Will post my formees "TOASTY" and "Doctor" later! :D

Nevermind, reread the OP and apparently it is a platformer. Doesn't look like there's too much too the actual game, but the editor looks really fun and games where you can create stuff and then play with it are always really fun to me.

Plus I'm really looking forward to developers making more downloadable games for 3DS.

d+pad

OK, the creations shared here have caused this game to go from "eh, it looks like a kiddie game" to "yup, I'm buyin' it as soon as I get a 3DS." I can already tell I'm going to have a blast with this one :) In the meantime, you guys and gals keep up the good work -- some of your Formees are great! And the Japanese ones? AMAZING.

watershed

Banned
I gave Layton another shot, some minor improvements but still not great. Unfortunately I can't make the eyes any smaller. Also tried out a batman. Edit: Just made Inspector Chelmey from Layton. I changed his colors a little because there weren't any direct matches.

301369_10150504603901004_693881003_10239978_14828317_n.jpg

298868_10150504515886004_693881003_10239651_1720248469_n.jpg
298987_10150504515921004_693881003_10239652_779840344_n.jpg

Edit: Everyone should watch the Iwata Asks for this game found here:http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/3ds/freakyforms/
They talk about how difficult it was to get the game green lit. How it has become very popular in Japan (good to hear a Nintendo download title is popular), how surprised Iwata and the developers were at some of the things Japanese gamers were able to make, and more.

blu

artwalknoon said:
Everyone should watch the Iwata Asks for this game found here:http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/3ds/freakyforms/
They talk about how difficult it was to get the game green lit. How it has become very popular in Japan (good to hear a Nintendo download title is popular), how surprised Iwata and the developers were at some of the things Japanese gamers were able to make, and more.
That's precisely the interview I was missing from the OP - updated. Thanks.

Luigiv

artwalknoon said:
Edit: Everyone should watch the Iwata Asks for this game found here:http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/3ds/freakyforms/
はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい

Thoraxes

Luigiv said:
はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい はい
I was going to criticize you for that, but then I realized you didn't write that with English letters lol.

Is the general consensus to buy this game?

blu

Thoraxes said:
It's the first genuinely good 3dsware game available outside of Japan. Whether one'd want to buy it or not depends entirely upon the person's tastes.

CoolS

I was gonna buy it but the music on that eshop trailer annoyed the crap out of me. Do you hear that music often in the game?

Thoraxes said:
I was going to criticize you for that, but then I realized you didn't write that with English letters lol.

If you like the premise (building stuff, unlocking more stuff, etc.), then yes, absolutely.

It's insane what the Japanese users come up with btw.

watershed

Banned
I've made some more formees, I think I'm starting to get the hang of the creation tools but its still quite challenging.

Here is Samus:
375630_10150504800441004_693881003_10240635_1310350566_n.jpg

Neku from TWEWY:
166960_10150504800476004_693881003_10240636_1701420738_n.jpg

and Commander Video:
384556_10150504800511004_693881003_10240637_1880695007_n.jpg

The only thing I wish for is a way to up the 20 shape limit. Other than that this game is great. Its actually addicting to create formees and the platforming is fun enough because of the stylus controls. And at first I wasn't even sure I wanted to spend the money to buy it. Really glad I did.

watershed

Banned
^They look great. I think someone could make just about every cartoon character ever invented in this game if they wanted. Its kinda amazing what you can come up with if you use the shapes carefully. Some of those Japanese formees blow my mind.

Jazzem

Yessss, I was waiting for the interesting quirky stuff to hit 3DSware :D Definitely buying this, though it might be a motivator for me to *finally* put the screen protectors on, ha.

watershed

Banned
Sinthetic said:
You are incredible at making popular characters artwalknoon!
Lol, thanks! Its really addicting and if you give yourself the challenge of making a specific character the formee creation process becomes its own puzzle game.

I'm really interested in this and I'd quite like to buy something on the eShop but I've been waiting.

Do you get to build your own levels too and do you have to assign functions to terrain and your creations like climbing and slippery?

Berksy

It is sad that Nintendo greenlighting shovelware on eStore but not games like this. Hopefully it will change after the game's success.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
This has been a nice distraction to go at time to time. Is there any reason to go back to old forms to platform with? I just been making a new character each time. Glad I picked it up.

Here is some random ones I made.
KvFGP.jpg

Qi5jv.jpg

GFRDe.jpg

watershed

Banned
Berksy said:
It is sad that Nintendo greenlighting shovelware on eStore but not games like this. Hopefully it will change after the game's success.
Ya know most of Nintendo's digital downloads have been good quality from dsiware like the art style series to the limited amount of 3dsware in Japan. The shovelware is from 3rd parties and Nintendo doesn't greenlight those they just approve them for sale.

blu

beje said:
The random idea option told me to do a tetric bird. So I came up with this:

bVx6H.jpg
Man, you got trolled by the random idea generator.. That said, you did very well ; )

BTW, does anybody else feel like the random idea generator is the wretched offspring to those rock-band name generators? For comparison, here's a fresh batch from http://www.bandnamemaker.com/:

Cold Over Mountain
Frozen Stinky Of The Pure Capture
Stitched Cat Of The Stacked Pliers
Primate Of Beginning
Slipping Pest
Dawn Vulture
Particular Prison
Intimate Of The Luscious
Broken Trivia
Bulldog Lady

Note how the bolded ones are directly applicable to freakyforms ; )

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Man, this game is pure fun. It's perfect for those 10 minutes when you have nothing to do. Create a formee, jump in the world, do some quests, grab some treasures, and log off, no strings attached.

Top Bottom