• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freakyforms (3dsware) |OT| of Don't Panic

zigg

artwalknoon said:
We need more freaky forms in this thread, the Japanese are winning!!!

Okay.

V8RxH.jpg
JRVMg.jpg
Loesg.jpg

I wonder what a shrink would think of my creations.

I'm gonna go scan a bunch of everyone else's now. Yay QR code reader unlock!

Question: how do you get a golden poop^H^H^H^Htrash?

beje

Banned
The creative challenges are almost always lulz-worthy. Just completely misunderstood one, and even though I got the shape and the tip right, everything else was off.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
Question: how do you get a golden poop^H^H^H^Htrash?
Aaah, the $1M question!.. A: You need to eat more gold nuggets!

On Meadow, normally the meat tree or the 'shroom tree will do it.

zigg

artwalknoon said:

Wow, this one is fantastic in motion.

I've scanned every linked image in the thread so far. I think I like the original characters better than the well-known ones, but that said it was pretty funny seeing Samus' leg twitching like she had to... you know... go.

So watching the Iwata Asks really makes me want to StreetPass. I'm gonna try, by God. I may not accomplish a single hit, but I will try.

blu

zigg said:
Huh. I always get rainbow/colored eggs.
It might be depending on the class of formee you have there (flyer, walker, roller, mixtures thereof, etc).

Speaking of which, here's something useful for your next area *wink wink*:

U8fRk.jpg

artwalknoon said:
We need more freaky forms in this thread, the Japanese are winning!!!
Not meaning to sound defeatist, but I'm not sure we have much of chance. They outnumber us : )

zigg

blu said:
Speaking of which, here's something useful for your next area *wink wink*:
I think I already have what you're giving me, because I've got two distinct areas on my planet now... :)

Still scanned! :D

blu

Man, the rare formees are truly good. I have 3 of those and they're all ace.

Ok, been playing a for a bit. Here's some more of my Formees!

HNI_0009.jpg
(Mimi)

HNI_0011.jpg
(Waddler)

HNI_0012.jpg
(RetardKing)

HNI_0013.jpg
(Pushmo)

HNI_0015.jpg
(Bat Racket)

I made a Slime as well, but it seems that somebody beat me to it here, so I won't bother posting it!

watershed

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Ok, been playing a for a bit. Here's some more of my Formees!

HNI_0011.jpg
This one looks hilarious, I can't wait to play as it later.

Has anyone tried to create the ultimate formee yet? One that is good at everything (jumping, walking, flying, swimming) and looks badass? I feel like that should be a gaf challenge. Also we should have gaf formee competitions.

Sinthetic

Stop making me want to buy this guys, I know what's gonna happen. I have £5 in my e-wallet, I'll top up £10, buy this and not play it until January. Stop!

zigg

Nuclear Muffin said:
I made a Slime as well, but it seems that somebody beat me to it here, so I won't bother posting it!
I'm pretty sure everyone made that slime. (Mine's green with a Mario hat...)

blu

artwalknoon said:
Has anyone tried to create the ultimate formee yet? One that is good at everything (jumping, walking, flying, swimming) and looks badass? I feel like that should be a gaf challenge. Also we should have gaf formee competitions.
I'd be in right away. I just experienced another 'wish my Vrooom had wings' moment during a cabbage challenge - last tree was on the highest-platform on Meadow. Poor Vrooom :/

Sinthetic said:
Stop making me want to buy this guys, I know what's gonna happen. I have £5 in my e-wallet, I'll top up £10, buy this and not play it until January. Stop!
I did a 10 EUR combo when I was buying it - got Freakyforms (6 EUR) and a 4 EUR title I think was rather overpriced, and I'm not sure I'll play much. So I'd rather think I've paid 10 EUR for Freakyforms, which is a bloody steal.

watershed

Banned
I think a gaf freaky form creation competition would be cool but after more people have picked the game up and after people have had time to unlock the rest of the features and more shapes to work with. I think we should all try to create our "ultimate formee" as mentioned above.

BooJoh

zigg said:
Anyone know where I can go to repaint a landscape? I kind of hate my meadow sky color.
Go to the Create Scenery menu and it's the second option I think.. it looks like a marker or a tube of paint.

BooJoh

I think this is my most capable Formee so far. Wheels make it fast on land, and it can fly and swim as well.

HNI_0077.jpg

Thoraxes

blu said:
It's the first genuinely good 3dsware game available outside of Japan. Whether one'd want to buy it or not depends entirely upon the person's tastes.
Phife Dawg said:
If you like the premise (building stuff, unlocking more stuff, etc.), then yes, absolutely.

It's insane what the Japanese users come up with btw.

I'll be sure to grab it soon then!

watershed

Banned
BooJoh said:
I think this is my most capable Formee so far. Wheels make it fast on land, and it can fly and swim as well.

HNI_0077.jpg
That looks great. I tried my hand at an all purpose formee earlier and it was a disaster. It was too big and its legs too far apart so basic platforming was a nightmare.

Edit: Okay having now played around with your formee, I must say Great Job!. The design is nice and cohesive but more importantly he's good at everything. With his wheels I'm zipping all over the place and he's very compact. Now I'll have to try to top this somehow...

Picked this up as soon as I could Friday Morning and I am having a god damn blast with it. Put near 7 hours into it since I got it and its currently sitting at my highest average play time on the 3DS at over 1:30. Such an awesome idea with just soo much potential. It really does suck it comes out now right when all the big games are coming out as I'd love to see this get alot more attention from the gaming media sites. I kinda hope that when Nintendo does a revision of the 3DS maybe they should put this in as bundled software it has that mass market appeal not many 3DS games have had yet.

As for the Fromees I've made, I'm at the 20 mark. I really wish I was as awesome as the rest of you guys but alas my skill doesn't match my imagination. Here are some of my more better ones

HNI_0011.jpg
HNI_0012.jpg

HNI_0014.jpg
HNI_0015.jpg

HNI_0016.jpg
HNI_0017.jpg

watershed

Banned
Here's my latest formee. I can't remember what I named him but he's basically an alien/monster pimp thing. He's good at almost everything but for some reason I didn't have or couldn't find the wheels option so he's stuck walking kinda slow. But I do think he's got a pretty good style.
303838_10150506298166004_693881003_10247249_1847902372_n.jpg

Is anyone else creeped out by this game? I can't stand the way that the characters move, and the music is really unsettling. Everything is awkwardly stitched together and shambles along like a half-dead cat or a busted marionette...Just thinking about it make me a bit uneasy; I imagine that this is what a game made by a serial killer would look like.

That said, it's pretty fun. Kids will probably enjoy making formees and playing with them.

watershed

Banned
nckillthegrimace said:
Is anyone else creeped out by this game? I can't stand the way that the characters move, and the music is really unsettling. Everything is awkwardly stitched together and shambles along like a half-dead cat or a busted marionette...Just thinking about it make me a bit uneasy; I imagine that this is what a game made by a serial killer would look like.

That said, it's pretty fun. Kids will probably enjoy making formees and playing with them.
I don't consider it creepy more just wacky or silly. The music is very interesting and if you watch the Iwata Asks they explain why they had it designed that way and I think the composer hit the nail on the head. The music is "out there", creative, and fun but it never puts pressure on the player or causes stress.

BooJoh

Anyone else unlocked the third location yet? I can't figure out how the
traffic
challenge works.
Whenever I approach a red light, it wobbles and I don't get credit, or I stop short and it doesn't wobble, and I still don't get credit.

watershed

Banned
BooJoh said:
traffic
challenge works.
Whenever I approach a red light, it wobbles and I don't get credit, or I stop short and it doesn't wobble, and I still don't get credit.
I'm not sure either but it looks like there are lines marking where you should stop or stand in between those lines. I haven't had a chance to try since I failed the first time yet.

dock

Just been playing this for a while - I had no idea it would be so fetch questy! :D

I wish QR Codes were unlocked from the start.

zigg

BooJoh said:
traffic
challenge works.

I bailed on
red
and got another for
green
instead. Much easier. Now I have the
all challenges trophy
, which honestly made me a little sad :-(

I'll post more Formees later, got a bunch queued up, but I spent a lot of time on Mario today.

zigg

markot said:
So, is this game fun outside of the making stuff (I know its integral and all >.<)

It's pretty limited. I mean, part of making new Formees is thinking about how their forms will work toward making the quests more doable, but mostly it's about what you can create and doing the quests to get access to more tools to create more things or get more inspiration.

If there's a sequel, I hope there are some world creation tools too.

P.S. I got no StreetPasses picking up Mario this morning. Grr.

BooJoh

Heads up, Freakyforms is eligible for a 10 coin Club Nintendo registration survey within 7 days of purchase. I would've missed my chance if I hadn't gone there to register Mario 3D Land and seen Freakyforms on there.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Some more I've made over time

E1zMw.jpgm
ECJF6.jpgm

HCRkr.jpgm
BP2up.jpgm

And Tom Servo from MST3K
U0wMU.jpgm

Is it odd that I just geek when they ask me to make trash for them just one time? Just the whole topic and how excited they are always gets me cracking.
I also picked up
'Deaaaaaath'
in a jackpot egg. Didn't see that coming.

dock

By the way, how do I poop? I've pooped once accidentally, but I always fail the pooping challenges.

markot said:
So, is this game fun outside of the making stuff (I know its integral and all >.<)
The game structure is actually surprisingly compelling. I was like "I wanna make stuff" but I found myself constantly unlocking quests, finding new animals, and all sorts of stuff. There's also a fruit machine aspect from the eggs laid by the animals, as you can get special eggs, and sometimes they contain bonus items. Basically a lot of loot drops from eating food. It's pretty shallow, but you always feel like you're moving forwards with your unlocks and collections.

So heres a few more I made
HNI_0026.jpg
HNI_0025.jpg

HNI_0019.jpg
HNI_0024.jpg

HNI_0018.jpg
HNI_0023.jpg

Really wish I had a better imagination, kinda running out of ideas of what to make. Really want to make an R2 D2 one but I just can't seem to get it right

blu

Chopper said:
Just eat lots.

I can poop. I just can't seem to golden poop.
Golden poop is quite profitable too. It seems the way to do it is via eating a bit of something fancy (i.e. something that would normally give you a striped egg) right before eating something that would normally give a rainbow egg.

Apropos, here's another amphibian from me:

N1yJU.jpg

blu

Sinthetic said:
Perhaps a bit harsh. But the overall conclusion that game might not be for everybody is more or less correct (not sure if that should reflect in the score, though - I don't think many a review have knocked down CoD for 'not being for everybody'). I've read some mind-boggling reactions to freakyforms (which I don't feel like bringing up here), so game will likely remain misunderstood, at least by the western audience, who often need to be explained what is fun and what is not.

One thing I disagree with the reviewer is the controls complaint - while stylus might not be the traditional platforming control scheme, I've not experienced a single control issue worth discussing yet. And I have more than a few hours clocked in the game.

muu

sakipon said:
All the creatures in this topic look fun, but these sure are something awesome. Do you have to reach far in the game to have enough freedom to work on stuff like this?

Then again, to my own disappointment I never had the patience to finish any LBP level... all my constructions sucked big time. If that would end up being the case, is this game interesting enough without concentrating on creating things?

I think you're looking at the premise all wrong. The really detailed ones take a lot of thought to make, and I'll let the guys that like that kind of stuff (probably the same guys that do the crazy forza paintjobs) do their thing. Meanwhile I'll be laughing my ass off creating demented stick objects with a pretty-girl voice pooping away while eating apples. Will I play it for hours on end? Hell no, but that's not the kind of game this is anyway.

If there was ever a time in your life where a pack of crayons and sheets of papers were recipes for a good time, then you'll have a lot of fun out of this game. 100% agree with blu's opinion that this will remain a misunderstood cult classic of sorts.

MarkusRJR

I'm dying of laughter from the "Gotta Go Fast" Sonic formee. Good job on that one. I really want to buy this game but Nintendo of Canada still doesn't sell prepaid cards for the eShop yet. This is getting ridiculous. I haven't been able to buy anything with my 3DS.

rpmurphy

Yaceka said:
I'm dying of laughter from the "Gotta Go Fast" Sonic formee. Good job on that one. I really want to buy this game but Nintendo of Canada still doesn't sell prepaid cards for the eShop yet. This is getting ridiculous. I haven't been able to buy anything with my 3DS.
I'm not familiar with them, but couldn't you buy a VISA/MC gift card or does that not work?

Top Bottom